Start by marking “The Dark Elf Trilogy (Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #1-3)” as Want to Read:

The Dark Elf Trilogy

(The Dark Elf Trilogy #1-3 omnibus)

Three-book set: The Dark Elf Trilogy--Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn.
Published September 27th 2001 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Elf Trilogy, please sign up.
Ben Eiynk Salvatore's writing style has matured quite a bit between starting Icewind Dale and getting to the Dark Elf Trilogy... part of the charm of the early…moreSalvatore's writing style has matured quite a bit between starting Icewind Dale and getting to the Dark Elf Trilogy... part of the charm of the early books is the enigma of Drizzt, if you read his whole backstory first, you probably lose that. I'd recommend starting with Icewind Dale.
(less)

Felicia
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning fantasy readers.
Shelves: fantasy
Love love love this character. This would be the best intro fantasy book I could give someone. Classic adventures, great storytelling, wonderful complex main character, interesting philosophy and moral core. I love it so much! I can't wait to get the next books as well. Drizzt is an epic character in an epic fantasy setting.
Marian Willeke
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marian by: Eric Willeke
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
At first I berated myself for lumping the whole trilogy together before I would give my review; however, after finishing Sojourn, I am glad that I held my review until I got the perspective of all three books.

In a word: fantastic.

At first, I was unimpressed with Homeland, not liking the start. Once I got going with it, however, I realised that my problem was that I felt like the beginning (circumstances surrounding Drizzt's birth) was just plopped in the front. Once I started understanding the
Luke Taylor
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sublime world-building and a very very angry culture of backstabbing and self-aggrandizement make atypical dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden the D&D legend that he is under Salvatore's masterful touch. Fraught with visceral combat and plenty of politics, it is the kill or be killed cauldron of morality that makes Drizzt's exciting character study and adventures so good. Excellent trilogy for fans of dark fantasy.
Heather Clawson
Aug 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was really looking forward to reading these books because several people I know positively raved about R.A. Salvatore.

Remind me to hunt those people down later and beat them to death with a chunk of moldy cheese.

These were some of the worst books I've ever read. I'm not sure how it's possible to make fearsome battles and magic swords and dark elves so boring and annoying but Mr. Salvatore managed to do both. I haven't seen such a whiney protaganist since Luke Skywalker (and I love Star Wars, d
Liana
I LOVE THIS SERIES AND DRIZZZZZZZZZT!!!! <3

*MEGA HUGE FANGIRL SCREAM*
daisy
Mar 12, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I managed to find a heaaaaap of hardcover novels from this series at a charity book sale - annoyingly enough, books 1-6 were not there, so I've ordered this bindup of the first trilogy to get myself started.

I adored the Neverwinter Nights games when I was younger, so I'm hoping I enjoy this series as well. :")
Karl
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is a compilation book that includes Salvatore's entire Dark Elf Trilogy. Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn are chronologically the first adventures of the endearing forgotten realms hero Drizzt Do'Urden. The books deal with the themes of personal integrity in the face of adversity, friendship, and being true to one's self. Many readers who are not drawn to fantasy books will despise the first book; Homeland, but it is the most important one and I found it to be the most interesting.

In Homeland,
Zoran Krušvar
Oct 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard for me to find a book that's crappier that "Twilight", with even paler characters and more predictable outcomes.

Well, this is one of those.

This book should be a school example of how NOT to write.

Speaking of the main character, Drizzt, I see him as Twilight's Edward, only instead of 12 year old girls, he is here to sparkle the imagination of 12 year old boys.

(12 here stands for any age before discovery of sex life)

Both Edward and Drizzt are heroes without a flaw, strong, brave, smart,
Nic
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I read this. I am, thusly, admitting that I have a problem. I've read books that were hard to put down, but this trilogy was basically impossible to put out of my head - to eat, to sleep, anything. It scared me how powerfully it had hold of my consciousness. I felt, and still rather feel, like the author was using some kind of painful trickery on me, and I don't really appreciate it. At the same time, I suppose it might be a good set of books, as I remember details from it p ...more
Anna
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have a love-hate relationship with this series: I love the character Drizzt, but I don't like Salvatore's writing style or quality in many areas. Overuse/misuse of some words/phrases (found myself mentally editing as I read), a little over-melodramatic in places, and with the RPG setting, sometimes you can almost hear the dice rolling. Book 3 is the best, but that's not saying a whole lot. But dammit, there's just something about Drizzt that keeps drawing me back.

Big problems:
1- *Why* does Dri
Teresa
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I believe that R.A. Salvatore is one of my favorite authors. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the fight scenes until I read other fantasy and felt like the battles were lacking in depth and detail. I've read almost everything Forgotten Realms except the very recent, and would recommend it to any fantasy lover. Also, if you are new to fantasy, this would be a great starting place! These books are very black/white, good/evil. It's a fun read and easy to fall in love with the characters.

In this
Mark Steinhauser
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very, very page-turning. As a former (and recurring) D&D fanatic, I can say these books are straight up my alley. My familiarity with the fantasy setting of the Forgotten Realms, and the world of the underdark, are the foremost reasons I can't put these books down. But I'll try to look past that and assess its more accessible qualities.

Salvatore's characters are very real. Reading the adventures of Drizzt and his companions, and the exploits of his evil family and other denizens of the under
Carma
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I have to agree with the reviewers who give this a "mediocre" rating. The funny thing is, it's not really mediocre. It has some really good parts and some REALLY awful parts, which average out to mediocre. I wish I could give it a 2.5 star rating - halfway between "I liked it" and "it was okay."

Very briefly: This trilogy is the first three books about Drizzt, a drow or dark elf. The drow are inherently evil but Drizzt (inexplicably) has a moral code and escapes the underworld to live on the sur
Jenni
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Dark Elf Trilogy is the first three books of Salvatore's Forgotten Realms series. It includes the books Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. It is in the style of "Dungeons and Dragons," which makes it very familiar as far as the type of abilities, items, and races you might expect to see. Being a huge fan of Fantasy, I really enjoyed this novel. It included everything you would expect from a "Dungeons and Dragons" fantasy book…sword fights, dragons, good and evil, yet it starts in a rather unexpec ...more
Blake Walker
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an omnibus of the the first three Drizzt novels: Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. They contain the adventures of a young drow elf who rejects his violent homeland for exile and eventual adventures on the surface world. The first novel paints a dreadful picture of his homeland and city of Menxoberranzan. The second deals with his misadventures escaping it. Sojourn is concerned with his exploits making his way on the surface world.

Drizzt is a fighter. However, he is versed in magic. The tel
Gabriel
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drizzt's origins ...

Book 1: Home
I never thought I'd see the day when I read a book based off of the D&D worlds (instead of books the D&D worlds are based off of) and enjoy it. That's what I did with RA Salvatore's Drizzt novel. Setting up lots of fun adventures with a Good Drow (lent to me because I'm playing a Drow Paladin in a campaign), it's a great adventure story that plays out like a younger, sillier Dune with the plans within plans. Still very D&D-esque (one can almost see
Viola Mccoffee
Travis Starnes
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the Drizzt Do’Urden trilogies is quite good. Parts of the plot are a bit slow but it is good overall. Drizzt’s and Zaknafein’s characters are very interesting in contrast to the rest of the drows, who find pleasure in killing, especially killing and not getting caught. Then when Drizzt moves to the surface and finds the prejudiced hatred of the surface people.

The plot has exciting chases and battles, which fill up most of the book, as well as interesting parts about drow society, wi
Diogo
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the first book I read from the Forgotten Realms collection. Overall, I think it's a very nice read.

The descriptions are many times excessive, not in detail but in scope. The narrator tells us of the setting too much, especially in the the first book, Homeland. And many of the drow world disclosures are completely unnecessary. It's perfectly clear how evil the drow are, and how "happy" such a society is. There is no need to spell it out. Also in the first book, clearly for the reader's immed
Ashley Lauren
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I know a multitude of people who absolutely adore RA Salvatore. I was more-or-less forced into reading this book (now that I did it reluctantly - I love these kinds of stories) but let's just say that there was a lot of hype involved before I actually get into the book. Perhaps that's why I found it mediocre.

Here are my thoughts when it comes to good books. I'm a character person - give me a so-so plot line but give me characters that sparkle, and I'm hooked. For me, this triloy was the opposite
Oubliant
I was suggested this book by multiple fans here on myspace(and even at work) so I picked it up.
Normally, I am not a fan of so called "bread and butter" fantasies...at least not for many years, and a book in the D&D setting didn't sound too appetizing. Well, my elitism was happily thwarted. This book indeed caught my attention. The sheer EPICNESS of the setting and character is what got me.
Menzobarrenzen(sp?) is one of the coolest fictional cities I have ever read about. Utterly evil and corr
Netanella
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Netanella by: the Erminator
My friend Ermin let me borrow his copies of "Homeland" and "Exile" and told me I should read these. What a love he was! I devoured the first book in one day and quickly sped into the second. It was like fantasy on crack. As soon as I finished the second book, I got online and ordered the first three trilogies from SFBC.com.

It's been a long time since I delved into fantasy this deeply - the last few years I've been on a science fiction kick. This trilogy is definitely the best that Salvatore has
stuart b
I knocked these out one at a time, but it's easier to review them as a trilogy.

They're better than "not bad" so I give it 3-stars, but they're not a Mistborn or Kingkiller chronicles which have almost universal appeal.

The first book was paced well, written well 'enough', and created the setting for an interesting universe of fantasy fiction. The second book was a little on the "quick action read" side and the third book just got lame after awhile--nothing egegriously wrong with it, but it is a l
Josh
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into the story of Drizzt, and actually all of D&D books. I felt that it was a good place to start, although quite dark in that we spend a lot of time with the dark world of the Drow, which I really didn't enjoy. But seeing the character of Drizzt, a pure-hearted and kind character, grow throughout this series has been very satisfying. It is good to know that he has come through so much and not lost himself. Overall this was a satisfying read and has piqued my interest ...more
Shelagh (The Word Fiend)
Drizzit's story is one that I've been meaning to read for a long time. As both a fantasy fan and a roleplayer the books have been on my radar. So what do I think now that I've read the first trilogy? I enjoyed my time with Drizzit and will read more of his story. Salvatore has created an interesting character in the dark elf ranger with a conscience. There is room for further exploration of the moral questions raised in the books and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop.
Ivana
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a whole, I really liked the story of Drizzt. I didn't like it as separate books, but I guess there had to be some separation of what is going on in Drizzt life at the moment of writing.
Anyway, I very much enjoyed this new world, I very much like the character of Drizzt and I very much like what he became in the end. Some of the gory details were way too much for my taste, but I guess that's the style of Salvatore.
James West
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is middle grade writing driven by obvious plotting. But I'm an old gamer so I loved reading them. The character is awesome and it is his journey up from darkness that draws you along.
Beth
My favorite of all the Trilogies about Drizzt
Melissa Jacobson
This was a really solid beginning to an incredibly long series that I will attempt to read all of but it will probably take me nine centuries. But that aside I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Fox
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff! Recommended read.
Drizzt Do'Urden and Michael Moorcock's Elric 5 83 Jan 08, 2014 07:30AM

• Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Elminster: The Making of a Mage (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #1)
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Darkwalker on Moonshae (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #1)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more

The Dark Elf Trilogy (3 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
“The gods of the realms are many and varied-or they are the many and varied names and identities tagged onto the same being. I know not-and care not- which. Drizzt Do’Urden” 0 likes