Start by marking “From Father to Son” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
From Father to Son

Janice Kay Johnson

From Father to Son (A Brother's Word #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  64 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Is an independent cop the best family man?
Niall MacLachlan's one priority is the law. He fought his way from the wrong side of the tracks to earn his badge and won't jeopardize it for anything. After all, trusting his family nearly cost him everything as a kid. So, no. This loner has no desire for a wife and children to call his own.
So why is his entirely too attractive
Published March 1st 2012 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about From Father to Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Father to Son

Saly
This is the second detective brother's story. Niall is happy with having no ties though now he has become closer to his elder brother Duncan. Then his landlady dies and everything changes, the heroine moves in with her two kids and dog and now he can't get any distance. They are everywhere and he likes it. The hero would get close and then immediately try to back away. The heroine had plenty of issues as well, he in-laws were interfering, he parents separated and she didn't know if she wanted so ...more
Susan
An excellent book. I really liked Niall when I met him in Duncan's book. I could tell he was a good man, but like his brother, didn't know how to love or be loved. I loved the way he was with Rowan's two kids -- he was great at taking care of them, playing with them, protecting them. He just didn't know how to deal with his feelings for them and for Rowan. Every time he would get closer, he would get scared and back off. Rowan's marriage had not been very good. Physical intimacy with her husband ...more
E_bookpushers
What a great story. Both the hero and heroine had to grow. The children acted like children. There was external conflict as well at the emotional background of the main characters. Plus I got to see how the h/h in the first books were doing. I look forward to the story about the youngest brother.
Kathleen Schilling
Definately looking forward to the final book in this trilogy
HarlequinRomanceReviews
Niall MacLachlan has had a horrible childhood, distanced from everyone except his responsible older brother, Duncan. He doesn't know how to love and doesn't want to be loved...or so he thinks. Niall is no big fan of kids and dogs and loud, happy, messy families, but all that's about to change.

His landlady, Enid, dies, and leaves the small cottage to her granddaughter, Rowan. When Rowan moves in with her two children, Anna and Desmond, and their dog, Super Sam, Niall is getting ready to move. He
Kristiej
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a new to me author and I was quite impressed. I love finding these kinds of authors and even more so when they have nice sized back lists.

The hero, Niall comes from quite a dysfunctional family. His drug dealing father spent time in prison and his mother just up and left Niall, his older brother Duncan and younger brother Conall. As a result, Niall and his other brothers have learned to close themselves off and to remain detached. But this becomes difficult when his old landlady dies an
Sharon
A well-written, satisfying story. Niall was cool, very cool, and his attraction to Rowan was sweet and JKJ did a good job of convincing us his not-so-outgoing personality developed enough for him to love Rowan. Rowan's virgin behaviour was sad, she had my sympathy although I completely understood why she so reluctant to get involved especially when children are involved.

The side story with her in-laws was troubling. Well done, but troubling.
Patricia Solla
In this story we have a man, an officer of the law, who's very much a loner. Things happen that make him get involved with a young widow and her two children (and a dog!). There's really a lot going on in this story, including a very strange twist that keeps the action moving along.
Cecilia
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elibrary-books
Engaging story and characters. Villain of the story was seriously creepy and over-the-top in his interactions with the main characters. It was supposed to be a mystery as to the villain's identity, but it was pretty obvious. 3.5 stars
Gail
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, library-book
Excellent story, excellently done. Sometimes I get impatient with characters who waffle back and forth about their emotions, but in this story, because of who the hero is, it works and Johnson makes it work very well. Oh, and I didn't guess the villain until way late. Really liked this one.
Darlene Torday
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story. Good characters and nice to have the children involved in Niall's changes from a man damaged from his childhood into a man able to take the leap to loving them and their damaged mother. Good romance story with unexpected problems that are resolved by the end of the book.
Harlequin Books
Shelves: 2016
3.5+ stars
Maureen Hubley
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it enough to try to find the next book in the series.
Macy James
Mar 31, 2012
Charlotte
Jun 20, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Janice Kay Johnson is the author of over a hundred books for children and adults. Her first four published romance novels were coauthored with her mother, also a writer who has since published mysteries and children's books on her own. These were "sweet" romance novels, the author hastens to add; she isn't sure they'd have felt comfortable coauthoring passionate love scenes!

Janice graduated from W
More about Janice Kay Johnson

A Brother's Word (3 books)
  • Between Love and Duty (A Brother's Word #1)
  • The Call of Bravery (A Brother's Word #3)