Start by marking “Lullabies” as Want to Read:
Lullabies

Lullabies

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  21,383 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews
A sequel to the hugely popular, best-selling Love & Misadventure, Lullabies continues to explore the intricacies of love and loss.

Set to a musical theme, love's poetic journey in this new, original collection begins with a Duet and travels through Interlude and Finale with an Encore popular piece from the best-selling Love & Misadventure. Lang Leav's evocative poetry speak
Published September 16th 2014 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lullabies, please sign up.
Emespre You probably know this by now, but you can't read it here. Goodreads is set up so you can find out about books and discuss them, but you can't buy/bor…moreYou probably know this by now, but you can't read it here. Goodreads is set up so you can find out about books and discuss them, but you can't buy/borrow/read them here.(less)
Sarah This is a website for those who read the books themselves. You can purchase these books or borrow them from libraries, etc. The site itself doesn't ha…moreThis is a website for those who read the books themselves. You can purchase these books or borrow them from libraries, etc. The site itself doesn't have the books.(less)

·  21,383 ratings  ·  1,559 reviews

Start your review of Lullabies
karen
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: pomes
okay, i have finally reviewed this. it has been sitting in my windowsill-stack of "books i gotta review" long enough, and i just can't look at it anymore. as little as i wanted to revisit it, i feel anxious when i have placeholders or blank spaces in the review field, so here goes nothing.

i give every author three chances to impress me. you know the old saying: fool me once - shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. fool me three times - it's back on you.

and sometimes it pans out - hermann hes
Emily May
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, poetry
A few years ago, me and my sister nearly killed ourselves laughing when we discovered a "song" our dad wrote when he was about 9 years old. It opens:

The streets are straight
They're very cool
So is our house
It's got a pool.

Talent for poetry aside, that is a downright lie! I don't know anyone in Britain who has a pool.

But regardless, my dad evidently missed out on his opportunity to have a career writing poems if this book is anything to judge it by. Because I swear that some of the "poetry" in thi
Audri
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to play by the rules and write a proper review of this book. Poetry isn't supposed to be judged, it's supposed to be experienced.

Lang Leav does not only write poems, but she's also an artist. Which is quite fitting because I often see writers as artists. They create art. And art is something I enjoy in all its glorious forms. It's funny how words can make us feel and experience things without leaving the comfort of our minds. See places we've never been before and meet people that
JV (semi-hiatus)
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Much to my heart's dismay, it is with great sadness to announce that Leav and I have officially parted ways, something that is absolutely, definitely, and necessarily appropriate thing to do, for the fact that I can't, for the life of me, appreciate her angst-ridden poetry laden with puerile drivel. As a dying tribute to the last vestiges of romantic poetry, I, henceforth, bring to your attention, my own gibberish, Leav-ish poem:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
You better shut up
Imma b*tchslap
Nat
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
“There is a certain quality to words that—when strung in a certain way—has an almost hypnotic effect.”

Lullabies was my second poetry read by Lang Leav, and save for a handful of excerpts, I was a bit let down. From what I recall of The Universe of Us, it was an enchanting collection with a number of gems thrown in for good measure.

But the poems in this one, especially the few that tried to come of as witty or rhythmic, were puzzling and perplexing and just why.... Leav tries to tackle down poems
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Stunning imagery! A study of contrasts!
Q:
I quietly listen—
the wind sings
Abbie
I disliked this book.

Okay, okay. I know you're probably wondering why I would read this book when I loathed the first book with every fiber of my being. Well I read this mainly because I didn't want to be the kind of girl who bashed an author after only reading one of her works; and my friends were pushing me to read this.

Well what can I say? This book was a continuation of Love and Misadventures. The girl fell deeply in love when she wasn't even happy with herself yet. She pushed him away and a
Louisa
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
How the heck this won the Goodreads Choice Award for Poetry is beyond me.

I read Love & Misadventure earlier this year and gave it the benefit of the doubt. That was probably a mistake. Her sophomore effort isn't any better. Just a tad more sexual, but still sticking to the same insipid rhyming scheme and half-baked "romantic" themes that aren't any better than those in my secondary school yearbooks.

I think what's so unbelievable about Lang Leav's writing is how people seem to eat it up but don'
Florencia
Dec 24, 2014 marked it as i-don-t-dare
I forgot to add this book to my no-shelf. Thoughts: a little pricey Kindle edition, considering... Giving this thing away for free would be already a crime against poetry and common sense. And you want me to pay for this. The only way I would do that is if I cannot refrain from wanting to know if this book is worse than the first one. But still, I think my curiosity has its limits. And an instinct of self-preservation. So no, I'm not reading this book. I guess you figured that out. I'm sorry and ...more
[Shai] Bibliophage
Rating: 3.5

I had high hopes on these poetry books of this author because they are always in the bestseller list in our local bookstores here. So I was really curious on what's the hype and give some time to read them. Just like my review on her book Love & Misadventure, I was thinking that maybe I was neither in love or heartbroken that's why I cannot fully grasp those poems. But I guess it's not me because there are other not-so-good reviews about this.

Still, regardless of the low rating I gave
Allie (A Literary Wanderer)
There is a girl who never returns her library books. Don't give her your heart— it is unlikely you will ever see it again.

This book got etched in my skin.
On a personal level, I like this better than L&M. It's probably because I invested more thoughts and feelings in to it.

Lullabies is more mature, and more in-depth. It is obvious that Lang has expressed more than she has in L&M. Once again, she made a masterpiece.

I'll buy anything she'd write. It was like it was made for me. Made for every
Neil (or bleed)
Sep 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-reads
MEH. AGAIN.
Farith
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

If I say, I'd give you everything,
we know it can never be,
but I will give you anything-
I just hope that thing is me.

Love and Misadventure was a book that I just liked, I didn't love it. With Lullabies it was different. I liked it more but I couldn't loved it because of the format of the book -eBook- and I love to read on eBook, but this time I just didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe if I buy the physical copy and reread it, I could give it 4 stars.
Even though, it was a nice read, in my opin
Noura
Sep 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. ever. don't do this to yourself.
I don't know what has gotten into me that I would think that reading this would be a good idea.

Spoiler alert: it wasn't.

This book was the bad kind of cliche and I guess there's a masochist in me somewhere that likes to subject me to horrendous writting. I can't find a single redeeming quality about this book. And even Darth Vader towards the end had one so that's saying something.

It doesn't even deserve a one star rating.
Joshua
No sugarcoating:

Still that overly-cliched and utterly-pretentious, stinking crock of greeting card poetry. Money wasted.
Mike Pico
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Too much of the same thing is boring.
Hannah
Oct 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book follows the course of a relationship and it's a two hundred and something page book full of hallmark card poems. This is the worst book of poetry I've ever read. There were three poems that I actually liked, but the rest of the book consisted of rhyming, repetitive fluff.
H.
Jul 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, god-wtf
I have a weakness for love poetry. When I picked up this book, I was sure I'd like it, having heard so many praise it. I was wrong. I was so wrong.

My twelve-year-old self would've loved this book and its childish, oversimplified, spineless poetry. My current self does not. Reading this book was like biting into a peach and expecting your teeth to come into contact with the seed pit in the middle of it, but not finding it and ending up with your face covered in peach mush and feeling nauseous an
Lady Nerd
Jun 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really, truly hate unfinished books. I try not to do it, but sometimes, it has to happen or I just go crazy. I don't think I deserve to inflict that much pain on myself.
This book, I can never understand. It's not hard, it's ridiculously mundane, full of everything ANYONE can write, and probably really-in-love 12 year olds can enjoy. I hated it. It had no deeper meaning, no beauty. It wasn't even cute at some parts like Love and Misadventure. It just has a pretty cover. Oh, and the art! Do peop
Jessica
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, poetry
This was the first Lang Leav book I ever read and I loved it. I've been wanting to read her poetry for a while since I am such a fan of her boyfriend's (Michael Faudet) poetry.

This collection is absolutely beautiful. I loved how it was broken up into three parts and the story it told.

Overall, I just adored this collection and will definitely be reading more from her.
Trish
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love poetry. Always have.
However, it's usually the classics that appeal to me (Oscar Wilde, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, the Bronte sisters, some German poets). Nevertheless, sometimes a contemporary poet/poetress manages to speak to me as well.
Lang Leav was completely unknown to me and had it not been for wonderful poems in Alex's status updates, I probably would have never found out she existed. One of those lucky coincidences because this poetress is a true master!

Honestly, Lang Leav has
Bibliophile Rose
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, poetry
I enjoyed it was a quick read full of love and heartbreaking. It's like experiencing the ugly part of love.
Suraya (thesuraya)
my answer is—
you are a scar.”

4.5 STARS

This book is beautiful.

funny how a lot of things in this book reminds me of you.
Onaiza Khan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
This book is music for the soul, it can make you fall in love and probably even fall out of it...
Mothwing
What did I miss? I was thrilled when I read all the positive reviews this book got and enthusiastically set about devouring it, happy to have found it. There were a couple of poems at the beginning that I liked - "Metamorphosis", for example, but then, after a while, the sippy romance and what the blurb called the "child-like facade" between "woeful and whimsical" (and what that mean, really?) made them grow stale.

Reading about a "girl" whose most sole features are that she is in love and likes
Aisha AlFalasi
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Nice and nite.
Inspiring
Anuradha
description

I had a holiday today, I was way behind on my reading schedule, and I wanted some...entertainment. First of all, let's talk a little about Ms Leav's Introduction to this collection of crap. I have always thought poems were a little like spells-incantations that are as old as time. There is a certain quality to words that-when strung in a certain way-has an almost hypnotic effect , she writes. Does she fucking realise how ironic this statement is, seeing as how she is completely incapable of s
Charissa Ty
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
So beautiful. She got me even at the introduction of the book. T.T beautiful.

Except for that one poem Vania. And the one with panties. They feel so out of place. haha I think her partner wrote it and she decided to include that in.

He totally wrote it.