Start by marking “Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed” as Want to Read:
Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed

Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed

The book begins with a briefing on Jakob's web usability principles, themselves culled from years of research. The 50 sites fall under such categories as Fortune 500 Sites, Highest-Traffic Sites, and E-Commerce Sites.
The content is simply presented: Four book pages are devoted to each homepage. The first page is a clean screenshot of the site's homepage (for readers to
Published November 15th 2001 by New Riders Publishing

Start your review of Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed
Hillary
Jun 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
At first I thought this book would be inspiring and informative. Although some of the statistical data was useful, overall I found this book to be stifling. As a student of web design, I found it bothersome how the authors stamped out every notion of creativity. They insult the intelligence of present-day internet users and suggest an almost "template" approach to web design. As they deconstructed sites, I found their suggestions to be petty and/or picky. For example, they suggest that every ...more
Avid Series Reader
useful tips:
-use non-breaking spaces between words to preserve key phrases
-avoid exclamation marks
-use blue for unvisited links, purple for visited links
-if a link does anything other than go to another web page (pdf, audio, video), explicitly indicate what will happen
-don't put horizontal nav above the banner ("banner blindness")
-don't include active link to homepage on the homepage
-all pages other than homepage should have the logo be a clickable link to homepage
-don't give up valuable
Daily Tech
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Work, Keep Going!
Try to visit the Affordable SEO U.S
Taylor Nguyen
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found the book to be a bit outdated. The information was also presented in a way that wasn't easy to read.
John
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ironically this book about usability had very poor usability. It started with 60 pages of theory (boring & with no context) and the 50 actual home pages were merely criticized instead of showing improved versions.

Ideally the book would have worked the theory into examples showing the bad and how to correct those issues instead of playing the critic instead of the creator.
Catherine
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
I will forever be grateful To Jakob Nielsen for giving me a book that I can whip open, point at and say, "Best practices standards are specific about avoiding [insert hypertension-inducing bad idea here]." This book was exactly what I needed in order to get over the "My wife thinks ..." hump in our homepage redesign project. Thank you.
Bill
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Good survey of what was in use and how it is seen by the user. However, it is not a book on theory. It also is not a book for creativity. It simply relates what works and reminds us that art for art's sake is not a good communications model.
Shawn
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: computers
Pretty useful for giving practical advice and criticism of websites. Not as good as the Designing Web Usability.
Joen Wolfrom
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book exceptionally informative about creating a homepage. If you read it and study the examples, you will find that you can determine your likes and dislikes in quick order. This book provides a serious discussion about homepage designs.
Alain
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beau geste!
Paolo
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cinquanta home page analizzate in profondità: come ha detto qualcun altro, il migliore (e più condivisibile) libro di Nielsen.
Martin
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, technical
Bit dated now, but the concepts are still important.
Tim Stolzenberger
Sep 25, 2013
Caitlin
Mar 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Website Development Company In Ghaziabad ! Website Development Ghaziabad 1 1 Aug 13, 2019 05:03AM

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Principles of Muscle Building Program Design
  • Principles of Body Transformation Meal Plan Design
  • Your Ultimate Body Transformation Plan: Get into the best shape of your life – in just 12 weeks
  • The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1-5)
  • The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact
  • Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
  • Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Thinking with People Who Think Differently
  • Built for Use: Driving Profitability Through the User Experience
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Subscription Marketing: Strategies for Nurturing Customers in a World of Churn
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jakob Nielsen is a leading web usability consultant. He holds a Ph.D. in human-computer interaction from the Technical University of Denmark in Copenhagen. He is also the principal of the Nielsen Norman Group which he co-founded with Dr. Donald A. Norman (former VP of research at Apple Computer). Before starting NNG in 1998 he was a Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer.

Nielsen founded the