Start by marking “Usability Engineering” as Want to Read:
Usability Engineering

Usability Engineering

Written by the author of the best-selling HyperText & HyperMedia, this book is an excellent guide to the methods of usability engineering. The book provides the tools needed to avoid usability surprises and improve product quality. Step-by-step information on which method to use at various stages during the development lifecycle are included, along with detailed ...more
Published September 23rd 1994 by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Usability Engineering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Usability Engineering

Start your review of Usability Engineering
Simon Eskildsen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The examples might be dated, but Nielsen's advice has stood the test of time. It's clear he was one of the first real advocates for "why don't you sit down with a user and hear what they think." Real pragmatist. We just forget the 'curse of knowledge.' That the more we know something, the worse judges we are of whether it's good. Users keep us honest. That you can't cut corners, because people remember the worst experience instead of their average experience. Also known as the 'peak-end' ...more
Hao Ca Vien
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nielsen's Usability Engineering is an interesting book about usability and procedures to test and develop usability. It is a classic, however, if you read it you will find a lot of his ideas are already implemented (which is a testament to how good they were). Also a interesting read to see how technology fared back then (10-20 years ago).
Shane C
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book was very well writhen!!
David
Nov 21, 2008 rated it liked it
As my first database design project to be used by someone else comes to a close, I find myself starting this book and reflecting on the truth of the intro: "Many ... students are profoundly surprised when they first sit down with actual users and watch them struggle with supposedly easy software."
Frankie
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, hci
"Usability Engineering" is a must-have for anyone working in HCI, but especially for anyone who needs to run a user study. I feel like I refer back to this short little book every time I start a new study, and I've been doing this for almost 15 years!
Sharon
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Can be a little dry at times but offers good guidelines on how to perform a usability test and background of usability in design.
Brian
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Good general info, but quite dated in a number of areas.
Garrett
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a bit dry, but gave lots of good details.
Vlad Golovach
Apr 29, 2015

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction
  • Measure What Matters
  • OMT Insights: Perspective on Modeling from the Journal of Object-Oriented Programming
  • Permanent Record
  • The Non-Designer's Web Book
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • UML Distilled: A Brief Guide to the Standard Object Modeling Language
  • Object-Oriented Modeling and Design with UML
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Things That Make Us Smart: Defending Human Attributes In The Age Of The Machine
  • The Children of Húrin
  • On Quiet Nights
  • The Keeper of Sheep
  • The Mystery Of The Blue Train / The Listerdale Mystery / Murder At The Vicarage
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jakob Nielsen is a leading web usability consultant. He holds a Ph.D. in human-computer interaction from the Technical University of Denmark in Copenhagen. He is also the principal of the Nielsen Norman Group which he co-founded with Dr. Donald A. Norman (former VP of research at Apple Computer). Before starting NNG in 1998 he was a Sun Microsystems Distinguished Engineer.

Nielsen founded the