Start by marking “The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom” as Want to Read:
The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom

The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom

The people of God throughout history have been a people of exile and diaspora. Whether under the Assyrians, Babylonians, Greeks or Romans, the people chosen by God have had to learn how to be a holy people in alien lands and under foreign rule. For much of its history, however, the Christian church lived with the sense of being at home in the world, with considerable ...more
Published February 2nd 2015 by IVP Academic (first published January 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Church in Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Church in Exile

Start your review of The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom
Robert D. Cornwall
It is clear to most of us that the age of Christendom has come to an end. No longer do we in the European/American West live in a culture where Christianity is a dominant force or privileged culture maker. So where do we find ourselves? One image that is emerging is that of exile. Like the people of the kingdom of Judah who found themselves living in exile in Babylon, its kingdom and its temple (the ultimate merger of church and state) destroyed, we are finding ourselves in a similar position.

Bob
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Summary: Accepting the premise that we are in a post-Christendom world, the book explores how the biblical theme of exile can be helpful for how the church conceives of its life and presence in the world.

Lee Beach contends that we live in a post-Christendom world, one in which the church is not in a position of power with regard to government or shaping the character of the culture. Rather than commending strategies to regain this lost influence, Beach contends that the church would do well to
Michael Philliber
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It regularly worries me when I hear Christians panicking and clanging the alarm, "We're being persecuted! Everyone is out to get us! Woe!" So it was refreshing to read "The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom" by Lee Beach, assistant professor of Christian ministry, director of ministry formation, and Garbutt F. Smith Chair of Ministry Formation at McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton, Ontario. In this 240 page softback, Beach's premise is not that Christians are being targeted ...more
Denise Cameron
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Much to think on, especially making a mind shift of a church in Exile. Good practical ideas in the second half of the book.
Merv Budd
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Using the motif of exiles, Lee traces the relevance of exilic literature to our present exiled Canadian context. Yes, I said "Canadian". Lee is a professor at McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton Ontario and having read so many books telling stories about our Southern neighbours, or our ancestors "across the pond", Lee's book was refreshingly Canadian.

He draws on those books which were shaped by the Assyrian/Babylonian exile and asks how we might learn from their message. He also draws from
Jim
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lee Beach has written a book that begins to address the question of how does the church exist well and even effectively on the margins of society. The book starts by looking at some of the history of the church as a cultural power and how things have shifted over the last half century or so and the changes that have taken place to bring the church more into a place of exile, a "living away from home", within the larger culture in Canada specifically.

The book could then be pretty neatly divided
Noel Walker
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
In The Church in Exile: Living in Hope After Christendom, Lee Beach brings exile to light as a powerful paradigm for ministry in the Post-modern West. I have plenty of books on my shelf that explain that Christendom is over (well duh!) and a couple that argue that it isn't done yet (?) but Beach's book is one of the first (and one of the best) that explores the conversation of "what now?"

In the introduction, Brueggemann helps to make it clear that the church in the West is in exile, it is now
Cameron Barham
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
There is a lot of valuable insights and challenges within this book, however, it has some significant foundational flaws that are troubling in terms of how these insights are to be applied. A prime example is the use of Acts 10-11 (Peter's offer of salvation to Cornelius, a Gentile) an argument for contextualization. This is not contextualization but fulfillment of the Abrahamic Covenant and a correction of Peter's theology to be more Biblical. To Beach's credit, he mentions passages from Isaiah ...more
storybridges
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review pending
Neil Bassingthwaighte
Nov 16, 2018
Spencer Stubblefield
rated it did not like it
Mar 14, 2017
Clint Walker
Jul 20, 2019
Dan Chung
Sep 10, 2016

• Doing Church History: A User-Friendly Introduction to Researching the History of Christianity
  • The Deep
  • Fly By Wire (Jammer Davis, #1)
  • Deadly Outbreaks: How Medical Detectives Save Lives Threatened by Killer Pandemics, Exotic Viruses, and Drug-Resistant Parasites
  • Bonhoeffer's Black Jesus: Harlem Renaissance Theology and an Ethic of Resistance
  • The Church of Us vs. Them: Freedom from a Faith That Feeds on Making Enemies
  • Disruptive Witness
  • You Welcomed Me: Loving Refugees and Immigrants Because God First Loved Us
  • Vladimir Putin: Life Coach
  • Body Politics: Five Practices of the Christian Community Before the Watching World
  • The Beautiful Poetry of Donald Trump