Start by marking “Superheroes Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous #1)” as Want to Read:
Superheroes Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous #1)

Superheroes Anonymous

(Superheroes Anonymous #1)

Everybody in Chicago has a “superhero sighting” story. So when a villain attacks editorial assistant Gail Godwin and she’s rescued by superhero Blaze, it’s a great story, and nothing more. Until it happens again. And again.

Now, the media has dubbed her Hostage Girl, nobody remembers her real name, and people are convinced that Blaze is just Gail’s boyfriend Jeremy in disg
Published November 18th 2014 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Superheroes Anonymous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superheroes Anonymous

Start your review of Superheroes Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

As big a fan of superheroes as I am, I've actually read very few books that are superhero focused: Jennifer Estep's Bigtime series, After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn, Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi . . . maybe one or two others that didn't immediately spring to mind, but that's pretty much it.

Of those, Superheroes Anonymous is most similar to Bigtime, but that's a very kind comparison . . .

Gail Godwin lives in a world filled with superheroes and villains. When our story
Carrie Mansfield
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for fair review.

This review is also available at my blog Fantasy Findings.

First and foremost, can I say this is a fantastic premise? So often in comic-book series, women are reduced to the helpless damsel-in-distress trope. Modern comics are starting to buck this trend to an extent, but the tropes are very much still alive and the general public is still more apt to know about Mary Jane Watson always getting rescued by Spider-Man than know that the exten
Shelley
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
**I received this book for free from Harper Voyager Impulse via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Science Fiction, Super-Heroes
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

SUPERHEROES ANONYMOUS is Lexie Dunne's debut into the world of superheroes, and super villains. The story is told in the first person narrative by Gail Godwin. Gail lives and works in Chicago, where superhero sightings are just as exciting as
Beth Cato
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, superhero, 2015
This is one of those fun, fast reads--my definition of a speculative beach read.

Gail is Hostage Girl. She's very relatable, very normal, and sick to death of being the frequent target of supervillains. She does her best to hold her own--even if the hospital staff knows her by name--and she always knows heroes like Blaze will show up to save her. Then things go wrong in a bad way. Blaze doesn't save her, and a mad scientist's concoction endows her with powers of her own.

The only thing that frust
Christine
At 80% in, I realized that I didn't give a damn about any of the characters. Gail was boring. The love story made little sense. It had potential at the beginning, but the Gail just became like every other super special heroine. She was more interesting when she didn't have powers. ...more
John
Feb 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought long and hard about that one-star rating--my very first for a book I read voluntarily. Normally if I'm reading a book for fun and I don't like it, I put it down ("DNF") and I don't rate any book I haven't finished. But this one was so much fun at the beginning that I kept reading right along, even though the fun sort of faded, until I came to that ending. After it was over I said to myself, "I hated this book." And that's what one star is supposed to mean, so there it is.

You see, it st
Karen
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged to have read this author's work well before she got the offer to have this story published, and I'd like to say that this book is her best piece of writing ever.

Gail is a victim of circumstance. Dragged kicking and screaming into becoming Blaze's Lois Lane, she eventually becomes jaded and fatalistic. In the first few pages, she wakes up after being kidnapped and asks the doctor nonchalantly who took her this time. After all, she *is* "Hostage Girl"

Fast-forward almost a year to
C.T. Phipps
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
SUPERHEROES ANONYMOUS by Lexie Dunne is a book I didn't expect to like as much as I did. The premise seemed silly even by superhero standards: a perpetual hostage to supervillains who can't figure out her boyfriend is a superhero (assuming he is) gets superpowers herself. Basically, the "Lois Lane becomes Superwoman" story. However, much to my surprise, I really enjoyed every single bit of this story from beginning to end.

Gail Godwin is an immensely entertaining protagonist and I love how she ma
Louisa
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
Loved reading this book again, it was such a great and quick and awesome read! Just so enjoyable! Need to read more!

*First read July 19th, 2015*
Man, this was such a fantastic book! I enjoyed it so much, it was just so freaking good! And yeah, that ending just makes me want to devour the next book now, it's such a cliffhanger! And there's so much to learn, I want to learn it!
Talk Supe
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Thank god I am reading the books back to back! That Cliffie!
Marta
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was fun, fun, fun. Lexie Dunne's pacing and chapter breaks seem like the work of a seasoned writer.

Gail Godwin is tired of being known as Hostage Girl. Super Villains mistakenly believe that Super Hero Blaze is her boyfriend, so she finds herself in need of rescuing quite often.Then she develops her own powers.

This story is a terrific blend of self-discovery, adventure and humor with fun sprinkles of romance. A world where Super Heroes and Super Villains are common place is a very fun worl
Coyora Dokusho
Ahaha I forgot to finish up this one XD. Okay, it was great!!!! The characters were really interesting. And it was funny!!! OMG IT WAS SO FUNNY. Thanks for being awesome Lexie Dunne!
Tammy
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
The nitty-gritty: A clever story that pokes fun at superhero mythology, with some very funny moments, but unfortunately lacked the sizzle and excitement that I was expecting.

So I went on a walk with Blaze, my savior. The man sure to deliver the antidote if I'd been poisoned, who'd personally pulled me out of more fiery buildings than I cared to count and, on one notable occasion, a live volcano. He waited for me to take the elevator down after closing the window. And we walked, silently. Mercifu
Darcy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, did-not-finish, uf
This one could have been good, but Gail came off as a doormat and so very dumb. How is it that she didn't realize that Jeremy and Blaze were the same person, especially when the both disappeared at the same time. Also, when Jeremy left, Gail didn't really seem to care. After 90 pages I'm giving this one up, I find I don't care for Gail or what happens to her, this one just isn't for me. ...more
Cathleen
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, chicago-set
I love a snarky heroine.

Have intended to read this book ever since I heard the author speak at a C2E2 panel years ago but just hadn't picked it up until now. It was precisely the zippy, distracting read I needed in this moment.
Valerie
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was time for a quick and easy read, with a little humor. This series, so far, is making for some good vacation reading.
Jim
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great escapist fare, perfect for a lazy afternoon. Surprised Hollywood hasn't ruined it by making it into a movie. ...more
Lynda
Feb 16, 2021 rated it liked it
While this was a intriguing idea, I am not convinced I am going to continue this series. I rated it 2.5 (rounded up to 3). I hate cliffhangers in series.
Kris
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amusing brain candy. However, I found it hilarious that my very uncommon last name is the name of the name of the villian jail/psych ward (think Arkham Asylum for this book world).
Denise
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable fun read. Quick, amusing, a little romance. Reminded me of Renegades.
Lexie
This is going to sound weird, but Gail should really talk to Emp from EMPOWERED. They can discuss being Hostage Bait and maybe start a union for folks who get taken hostage frequently. To be fair, once Gail gets powers this is less of an issue...Emp kind of became hostage Bait after getting her powers. I still think they'd have a lot to talk about though.

What happens when a hero decides to switch cities to protect, but forgot to send that memo to one of his villains who's been incarcerated for a
Bee

Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

Dammit! Dammit, dammit, dammit! You were so good the whole time! I had so much fun and then you ruined it with that ending. It's the stupidest, most ridiculous ending, seriously. It doesn't make sense at all. Dammit!

Gail has been rescued by superhero Blaze so many times that the media has dubbed her Hostage Girl. Most people are convinced Blaze is just Gail's boyfriend Jeremy, but she's sure he's not. When both Jeremy and Blaze leave town
Kristi
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I was in a superhero mood and saw this on black Friday weekend sale for 2.99. If you are in the mood for fun, fast, superhero fiction that mirrors an old reliable comic book pick this up- I felt it was well worth the read- point in fact I read it over a weekend. I did give it 3 stars- which is an average for me, but it didn't score a 4/5 star in my books for a couple reasons-

First, what to like: SUPERHEROES!. This novel refreshingly plays homage to my old X-men comics of old- with a bit of corpo
Fantasy Literature
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Superheroes Anonymous by Lexie Dunne follows the adventures of Gail Godwin, otherwise known as Hostage Girl, in a world where superheroes and villains exist as celebrities and fodder for gossip websites. A Chicago reporter, Gail — or Girl, as her friends call her — is constantly kidnapped and held hostage by supervillains and subsequently saved by Blaze, one of the most popular heroes. The gossip columnists speculate that Blaze’s identity is Jeremy, Girl’s real-life boyfriend, but she doubts it. ...more
G33z3r
Enjoyable enough superhero fantasy with a good sense of humor and penchant for poking fun at many of the traditional comic book tropes.

The heroine, Gail, (who provides 1st person narration) has been nicknamed Hostage Girl by the Chicago media because super villains keep taking her hostage to draw out the super-hero known as Blaze. This has become a vicious circle: the media assumes Blaze is Gail's boyfriend, which is why the villains keep going after Gail, which is why Blaze has to keep rescuing
Katherine Harbour
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever wanted to know what the inner universe of superheroes is really like? Meet Gail Godwin, or Hostage girl as she's known. When supervillains begin to believe she's the main squeeze of Blaze, a major superhero who ends up rescuing her quite often, Gail soon begins to accept being kidnapped and menaced by supervillains as a weary fact of life, a superhero feat in itself. Then she's kidnapped by a mad scientist and her life changes...
This was a fun read, with characters who might not be what the
Niall Teasdale
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
This should have got three or even four stars. It's an amusing story with an interesting character as the lead. The world is an interesting one too.

However... The book needs an editor. I had to fill in a bunch of missing words as I went along and that jars me out of the narrative. But the biggest failing here is that the book ends on a hulking great cliffhanger which is, frankly, insulting. If this had come in a full-priced ebook, I'd be livid. The cliffhanger itself is broadly illogical and not
Berni Phillips
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this clever take on the superhero mythos. This time, it's from the Lois Lane perspective. Poor Gail Godwin has been kidnapped so many times that she is better known as Hostage Girl.

Hostage Girl is so resilient that I was a little disappointed when one of those extended kidnappings resulted in Gail's acquiring her own super powers. She was awesome enough before.

I would have given this book another star except that it ends on a cliff-hanger. I consider this a cheap trick on the part of
David Harriss
Half a book

This started oddly but well.
The protagonist has the unmentioned power to not be traumatized by her frequent kidnappings. Then it follows the cover blurb, and Gail slowly becomes a real character. Still a kidnapping victim, but a real character.
Then the last section happens, and it is confused and poorly plotted. There is no resolution, just a lazy "cliffhanger" setup for the next book. The book without all that pesky character introduction and development.

If it were complete then I c
Anya
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A really fun satire adventure of comic book heroes. We don't know why yet, but a generation ago superheroes and villains manifested powers and are now a part of everyday life! The play on comic book heroes was lots of fun, the writing is sharp and the romance is cute. The ending is a bit of a cliffhanger, but I'm holding it together mostly >.>. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: cover on Amazon 2 16 Feb 02, 2015 07:57PM

• Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story (Wearing the Cape, #1)
  • Delphi Colony (Delphi in Space Book 8)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #1)
  • By the Grace of the Gods: Volume 5
  • Queen of Diamonds (Lilith's Shadow, #4)
  • Ultraviolet Dawn (Ultraviolet Superhero Universe #1)
  • Beneath the Dragoneye Moons: Book 2
  • So Not a Hero
  • Curse of Agares (Legend of the Arch Magus, #5)
  • Wizard's Alley
  • Sense (A Touch of Power, #3)
  • Bones of the Past (Villains' Code, #2)
  • Arsenal (Full Metal Superhero #1)
  • In the Land of Leadale, Vol. 1
  • Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington, #9)
  • A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington, #13)
  • Unnatural Laws (The Whispering Crystals, #1)
  • A Drop of Magic (The Magicsmith #1)
Lexie Dunne is a woman of many masks, all of them stored neatly in a box under her bed. By day a mild-mannered technical writer and by night an adventuress and novelist, she keeps life interesting by ignoring it and writing instead. She hails from St. Louis, home of the world’s largest croquet game piece, and SUPERHEROES ANONYMOUS is her professional debut into the world of caped crusaders, a jour ...more

Superheroes Anonymous (4 books)
  • Supervillains Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous, #2)
  • How To Save The World (Superheroes Anonymous #3)
  • #HeroFail (Superheroes Anonymous, #4)