Start by marking “Cat & Bunny” as Want to Read:
Cat & Bunny

Cat & Bunny

From the heartwarming text to the adorable illustrations of little kids dressed as animals, there's so much to love about Mary Lundquist's debut picture book, Cat & Bunny. Cat and Bunny. Bunny and Cat.

It's always been just the two of them—daydreaming, having adventures, playing their special game. Until the day someone else asks, "Can I play?"

Mary Lundquist captures al
Published January 27th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Cat & Bunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat & Bunny

Jason
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't want to like this, I really didn't. But then all those kids in cute animal costumes got to me. And it's a bit strange, which I always like. I mean, I'd like to know more about the game that requires you to wrap yarn around several trees. It seems pretty involved.
Amy
Mar 05, 2015 added it
Shelves: j-picture-books
A bland story about feeling possessive of a best friend, then learning to let others into the friend circle, too. The book's distinguishing feature is the kids dressed in animal suits, which, admittedly, is pretty cute (I especially liked Quail). Not amazing, but cute enough.
Diane
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cat & Bunny are the very best of friends, in fact, they were even born on the same day and same year. Every since they were little, they've done everything together -- just the two of them. They've even made up games, where they are the only ones who know the rules.

One day when they are out playing, Quail, asks to join in. Bunny says, "sure", but Cat isn't so sure about inviting someone else into the circle. Soon many other children join in the fun, but Cat is sad and upset and runs off to
Baby Bookworm
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Summer Reading Day 62: Our book today was Cat & Bunny, an adorable book about friendship by Mary Lundquist. Cat & Bunny are two little kids born on the same day, and grow up side by side to become best friends who do everything together. They have adventures and secret games that only the two of them know. Then one day, another child asks to join them, and they learn how having many fri
Nicola
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
#emotional self-regulation #friendship #communication #pre-schoolers

It can be a difficult concept to learn that you can (a) have more than one best friend, (b) that your best friend may develop other friendships, (c) that it's okay to say 'I play with you later'. It doesn't mean that you don't love each other anymore or won't want to play together later.

Note: None of the characters are autistic but for my personal filing; it's a useful teaching text.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books a
Michele
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been my four year olds favorite for about a year. We frequently read it as her friendship circle shrinks and grows. She can be a pretty anxious kid and this book has been her doorway to exploring all of the emotions that comes with making new friends and sharing old ones. I love the simplicity of the story line and how expressive the illustration are. It puts emotions front and center and makes it easy to talk about the difficulties and joy of new and old friendships.
Christine Grant
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Bunny Story Time.

Cat and Bunny are best friends. They do everything together...until Bunny allows others to join in their game. Cat isn't so sure this is a good idea and runs away? Is playing alone better than adding extra friends?
Kris DeLabio
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
A story of friendship. Making room for more friends.
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
My children didn't enjoy this book. The pictures were kind of cute but the story just didn't draw them in.
Camille De Zeeuw
Narrative: This week we are going to read several stories about animal friends. Our first animal friend story is called Cat and Bunny. Looking at the cover I notice something about Cat and Bunny. (Cat and Bunny are kids dressed in animal costumes.) Can you guess what I noticed? (If they don’t guess, talk about their guesses and then continue by saying: You noticed a lot. Here’s what stood out to me. Cat and Bunny are kids dressed in animal costumes.) When I turn to the back cover of the book, I ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cat and Bunny have always done everything together, but that changes after another friend asks to play.

The illustrations are a source of great confusion in a story which is already pretty thin. Each character appears to be a baby dressed in an animal costume, but they are all called by animal names. Some of the pages also portray "real" animals playing alongside the costumed babies, which makes the whole thing feel that much more surreal. As individual pictures, the illustrations are very warm
Jennifer Strong
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, children-s
Cat and Bunny are best friends. They were even born in the same day of the same month of the same year! They do everything together. Their favorite thing to do is play their Made-Up Game. One day Quail asks to play and Bunny immediately says yes. Cat, on the other hand, isn't so ready to invite others into her circle of friends. More and more of the children join in and Cat feels like she lost her best friend. Sitting away from the others, Cat waits for Bunny to return and play with just her, bu ...more
Marathon County Public Library
This adorable book tells the story of Cat and Bunny, two of the very best of friends. Cat and Bunny are inseparable. That is until the day that they are playing in the park and the other kids ask to join their game. Bunny says yes but Cat doesn't want to share her friend. Cat storms off and ends up alone until she meets a kitten and starts a new game. Pretty soon, everyone asks to join her game and she realizes that playing is more fun when you have friends.

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public L
Dawn
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Cat and Bunny have always been friends and play a special made-up game together. When someone else wants to join, Bunny happily allows it, but Cat isn't so sure. As more want to play, Cat feels left out and leaves the game. A kitten wanders by, and Cat begins to play with it. Soon, all the other kids want to join this game. When Bunny finally wanders over and asks to play too, Cat happily welcomes Bunny back.

Meh. I found it weird that all of the kids are dressed in strange animal sleepers with h
Sandy Brehl
The concept of having a very special friend but reaching a point at which others join the friendship circle is handled with the same light and gentle touch as the illustrations are. By allowing diverse human children who are more similar than different to all don little critter clothing makes the story even more universal. I loved that when Cat is feeling abandoned an actual cat serves to inspire and invite new friends into Cat's world.
This is a simple but delightful device (dressing young chil
Dione Basseri
Hrm. I generally very neutral about this book. I think it's really going to depend on your children, as fr as reading at home goes. With a title like "Cat & Bunny," they may be disappointed over it just being kids in animal costumes. The story isn't particularly imaginative (two best friends have to work through jealousy due to playing with others), so it may not be enough of a draw for your kid to ask to be read the book more than once.

However, this could be really useful for the first few
Mary
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Since we own two pet rabbits, I am always on the lookout for good books that include rabbits as part of their story line. In this story, a couple of friends, who are so close they share a secret game with made up rules, play together. Before long, one of the friends shows other kids (all dressed in cute animal costumes) how to play. The second friend is a little jealous, but soon gets over it and learns that it's fun to play with the other kids, too, and to include others.

I thought it was fill
Heidi
Friendship can be a bit tricky at any age. Cat and Bunny are faced with one of those friendship dilemmas that most children face at one time or another. Used to playing only with Bunny, Cat is thrown for a loop when Bunny lets the other animals (children) join their made-up game. Wandering off sadly, Cat hopes that Bunny will join her, but is instead joined by a playful kitten and a ball of yarn. Bored, Cat decides to make up a new game to play with her new friend. The game is so fun that the ot ...more
Jana
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a heartwarming book about first friendship. Cat and Bunny were born on the same day and have been friends ever since. They do everything together and even have their own Made Up Game. When Bunny encourages others to join in the Made Up Game, Bunny feels uncertain and left out. This would be a good story to share with young children starting school because it celebrates the inclusion of others and sharing. The illustrations are just perfect - pencil and watercolor pictures that celebrate ...more
Amber
A sweet book in which Cat and Bunny are friends, best friends and they always play together, just together with no one else, but when the other animal kids ask to join in Bunny says yes, and Cat says nothing. Finally all the kids are playing with Bunny and Cat leaves, feeling left out. Then Cat starts a new game, and one by one the other animal kids come to ask if they can play and Cat lets them, learning that just because you have one best friend doesn't mean that you can't make other friends. ...more
Bettina Peters
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Teresa Edmunds
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cat and Bunny are friends that were born on the same day, like the same things, and do everything together. Then one day Bunny lets other children join in their special game. This hurts Cat's feelings. Could it be that Bunny doesn't like her best? This book is good as a tool to address the insecurities children might have about "sharing" their friend with others. It is a cute story with sweet illustrations and a useful lesson too.
Sandra Guerfi
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cat and Bunny have been best friends since they were babies and have always done things together, just the two of them. Then one day while playing, a new friend asks to join in. Will this be the end of their friendship or is there a way for everyone to be happy? Great book about learning how to make new friends and share interests.
T Crockett
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this with a 4 & a 6 year old. They liked it, but weren't overly excited. Mainly they had questions about whether or not the characters were people wearing animal suits or animals with people faces.

I think would work well in a preschool classroom. The message about playing with others is quite clear. The illustrations did a great job of showing the characters' feelings.
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Adequate, but not great. Very simplistic with illustrations that, though cute, can be confusing. Small children (or babies) dressed in animal costumes and called by animal names. Theme: everyone can play together and have fun, no need to be exclusive. There are definitely better books to use in story time.
Tina
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
The artwork here IS adorable, but that is about the only thing I truly loved. The story is generic - two friends have a new person enter their ring, one feels neglected, it all ends happily ever after. Nothing here to scream home about, and the ending feels very abrupt.
Diana
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime
While the illustrations in this one were precious, I found the story to be rather...bland. Honestly, it was boring. I also didn't really find the ending to be satisfactory, since I felt like a good balance wasn't struck between the old and the new relationships.
Jillian
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
A treacly story with super-cute illustrations.
Karen
Sharing a treasured friend can be hard. Simple for preschoolers.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: friendship
What happens when two good friends have new friends join their friendship?

• Juna's Jar
  • Little Elliot, Big City
  • The Lion and the Bird
  • Eat Pete!
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Three by the Sea