Start by marking “The Summer of Me” as Want to Read:

The Summer of Me

The nationally bestselling author of Delilah’s Daughters and The Amen Sisters returns with a moving story about a single mother who discovers the woman she can be in one unforgettable summer.

As a single mother, Destiny makes sacrifices for her children—including saying goodbye for the summer so they can spend time with their father and stepmother. Though she’ll miss them w
Published April 19th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published January 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Me

Sara Strand
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
So, I'm going to start this review with just an observation I've noticed as a voracious reader: you almost never see a story featuring an African-American woman let alone have a cover as stunning and inviting as this one. I'm saying that as a totally white person, I could not be more white, and I've always noticed it and I don't know if anyone else does, but I jumped on this tour because it was exactly that. Nothing cookie cutter about this novel, it stands out on its own and it's good. It's a r ...more
Kari
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, for-review
I was really looking forward to The Summer of Me. I grew up with a single mom and I know she didn't have it easy. In the end, the book was just an OK read for me. I had a hard time connecting with Destiny. I find when I can't connect, I have a hard time buying into the story. It's a quick read, so I kept reading hoping I would like it more, but I just never really did.

There were a few things that bothered me about the book. This may get a bit spoilery, so skip it if you aren't a fan of spoilers.
Jael
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
With her kids away for the summer, Destiny, a single mother, finally has some time for herself. Destiny is used to doing so much for other people. Making herself a priority is never at the top of the list. But if she's ever going to make a better life for herself and her kids, there's no time like the present.

The Summer of Me by Angela Benson is a story many people can relate to. It's a story of love, motherhood, family, and friendship.

A summer without her kids will be difficult for Destiny. Sin
Lekeisha The Booknerd
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars Originally posted HERE

The Summer of Me is a really good story about finding yourself. It’s about motherhood, marriage, love, trust, right & wrong, the patience and acceptance of “the-other-woman”. The-Other-Woman being the stepmother. While I appreciate all that this story entails, there are just some things that needed to be cut out. I don’t want to spoil the story, as that whole scenario revolves around the romance between Destiny and Daniel; and ultimately, Destiny’s friendship
Phyllis Krall
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a single mother facing a summer without her children for the first time. Destiny decides to let her twins go to visit their father and stepmother, leaving her to make choices about her future. Her two best friends encourage her to pursue new endeavors and finish college.
Destiny meets a pastor who captures her heart but feels unworthy of him after she makes some bad decisions. Her faith helps her reach her goals and become a stronger person.
The book is very entertaining and
Jay
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'd give this novel a solid 3.5 stars. it was an easy Spring/Summer read. I didn't realize going in that it was a Christian based novel but it was really refreshing to not have a bunch of words that make me cringe reading them. Any romance in the book was take and sweet as well. A really nice break from a lot of books out there.
JoAnne
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read my review on RomanceJunkies.com by clicking on the link below:

Angelia
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Angela Benson’s The Summer of Me is inspirational and romantic and full of everything that makes a great beach read. The main character, Destiny, is likable and easy to relate to – even for someone like me who’s about as opposite from her as you could get.

There was a lot going on in The Summer of Me – several plot points – but they all come together to shape some defining moments for Destiny. From the issues with her ex and his wife to her issues with her mom to her own financial issues, Destiny
Jacqui
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing seemed more like YA but I enjoyed the storyline. I thought it would be predictable but there were some interesting developments along the way. A quick and enjoyable summer read.
Natasha B
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

If you're looking for a nice, easy, and quick Summertime read, this is the book for you! I easily liked the main character, Destiny, and loved the budding romance with Daniel. However, so much happened in one summer and was tied up a little too neatly (and easily) in the end, compared to real life.

Sometimes, the dialogue between characters seemed to go on too long and was a bit forced, especially when it came to controlling Destiny's life, which everyone seemed to have a say about. Th
Idrissa Uqdah
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

I have enjoyed all of the books that I have read by this author, especially Delilah's Daughters, but The Summer of Me, may now be my favorite Angela Benson novel.

Angela writes good stories about positive and strong Black women. Her characters are flawed, but human beings with layers of possibilities.

She is a very good writer. Her books are well paced with good plots and interesting storylines.

If you are a serious reader of African American literature, you will love this novel.
Valdez
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I looked at the cover of this book and thought it would be about a black woman taking some well deserved "me time". Nothing could be further from the truth. When the book started she has a full time job and does her friends' hair as a side hustle. Over the summer she picks up two more jobs!

Can't a sister just relax on the beach and watch the waves?
Desiree Watson
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Destiny decides to go back to school when her children go to California with their dad and his wife. Read: June 2016
Donna
Jun 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finnish
Wanted to like this and find another author in this genre...but alas. Characters seemed flat and mechanistic, conflict contrived and unengaging. Oddly in need of editing (how many times can we say "townhome" in the first three chapters?). A third of the way through and I still didn't believe in or care about the characters? DNF.
Colette M. Cummings
Finding myself

This book came at just thebrght time for me. I commected with the chatters and found myself rooting for them to succeed. It was a delightful summer read that I would recommend to someone looking for a light positive summer read.
Donna Bennett
The Summer of Me has well developed characters and the story line is interesting. This novel was a good summer read. I would like to read more of the characters in sequential novels. The words flowed well with no grammatical errors. I will definitely read more from Angela Benson.
Sharon Daniell
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good clean christian romance ...

It was a very good work of fiction. I liked how the author kinda a prepared us in subtil ways for the bombshell information about the star. Well woven tale.
Tasha Brock
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I started reading this book in between a new job and life. The writer pulls you in on many levels, relationship, family, health, trust and legal. We all have our complications in life.
EnyeNye Jones
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this and every other book she’s written that I’ve read. Talented and blessed
Samona
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complicated

This was my first time reading this author and it was enjoyable. Destiny had a lot going on. Her mother really got on my nerves. This book was ok.
Angela Durrett
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick easy summer read! It deals with a lot of life issues that women deal with today but with God’s grace and mercy, she overcame her obstacles.
Anna Caison
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Summer of Me

At last, a heartwarming, faith based story featuring black folks. I truly enjoyed this book! Looking forward to more novels from this author.
kim knight
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read!

Summer of Me is Destiny's triumphant story of personal growth as a result of - and in spite of - many obstacles with finances and family!
Carmen Lang
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kind of 3.75. But, I loved the beautiful cover and the clean romance.
N.
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Y.M. Nelson
I realize that the average reader is not a writer, so this book's target audience will probably like this a lot more than I did.

My writer's brain kept screaming "Show, don't tell!" on almost every page. It kept me from really getting into the story, and it kept the characters 2-dimensional. When a writer shows versus tells a story, I just get more immersed in it. I couldn't do that here.

Also, some of the minor details in the story didn't seem right to me. (For instance, I've never been to a Mar
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

The Summer of Me succeeds unequivocally in one way – it makes you care deeply about the main character. I had a ton of issues with the book. But I kept reading it avidly because I cared so much about the heroine and I wanted things to work out for her.

One thing I liked about the book was the way breast cancer came up as a theme. Daniel’s wife died of breast cancer and Destiny’s mom is a survivor. This is a painful topic, but an important one, especially
Charlotte Lynn
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Summer of Me is a great read. There is so much going on that this could have been a couple of books, yet it wasn’t too much for one book. The characters were developed perfectly and the storyline flowed at an easy pace. There is the trials of motherhood, the discovery of new love, blending families, and so much more.

Many times throughout the story I was trying to see ahead and find out where the story could be heading. A few times I got it right, more times I was slightly wrong, and still o
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Destiny must spend a summer without her twins as they adventure with their father and his new wife. Destiny is challenged by her mom and friends to make use of this summer and do all the things that she can't while trying to be a single mom.

The writing of this book felt elementary and because of that for me it didn't flow well. It felt staccato and I wanted more depth in the sentences. I think if you are a reader who doesn't read as much as I do, you may enjoy this one more. I think because I r

• Don't Tell a Soul
  • Get You Good
  • The Eleventh Commandment (Hallelujah Love #8)
  • Mary B. Morrison Bundle: Soulmates Dissipate / Never Again Once More / Darius Jones (Soulmates Dissipate, #1-2, 8)
  • I'm Doin' Me
  • Friday Night at Honeybee's
  • I Ain't Me No More (Always Diva, #1)
  • Like the First Time
  • Lust (Seven Deadly Sins #1)
  • The Spa
  • Pecking Order
  • Dr. Feelgood
  • Mama's Boy
  • The Harris Men
  • The Enemy She Knows
  • Though I Stumble (Promises of God #1)
  • Full Figured 6
  • Welcome to Leo's
Though Angela Benson began writing fiction in Miss Milizo's fifth grade English class, her first book was not published until 1994, more than thirty years later! Since then, Angela has published twelve novels, two novellas, and a nonfiction writing book. Her books have appeared on national, regional and local bestseller lists, and she has won several writing awards, including Best Multicultural Ro ...more