Start by marking “Hard Evidence” as Want to Read:
Hard Evidence

Hard Evidence

(Dismas Hardy #3)

When the bullet-ridden body of a Silicon Valley billionaire washes up on shore, assistant D.A. Dismas Hardy finds himself the prosecutor in San Francisco�s murder trial of the century. The suspect: a Japanese call girl with a long list of prominent clients. But when a bizarre series of events blows the case wide open, Hardy finds himself on the other side of the law - as a ...more
Audio
Published August 20th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published February 18th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hard Evidence, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Hard Evidence
Tim
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, this story lacked interest and is much longer than necessary. Reluctantly, I give a passing grade. 2 of 10 stars
Lynn
The development of Dismas is excellent in this entry. Regular characters continue and interesting new ones appear. Dismas changes jobs more than once in this book. I think Lescroart offers some brilliant insight into the soul-crushing, ego-death that a fruitless job search can become. Lots of clues given towards the final twisted plot resolution...it's all laid out, the reader just has to follow.
Olivia "So many books--so little time.""
John Lescroart is a genius. I've read three legal thrillers by him and his are among the best I've read. The plot of Hard Evidence has a lot of intriguing twists and turns, all of which make this book a page-turner.
Ellen
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lescroart
Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3) by John Lescroart.

This entry in the Dismas Hardy series is the best legal thriller I've read. Dismas doesn't stay in one place for a minute. Starting in the prosecution team and ending with the defense team.

A billionaire's body is found on the shore being filled with bullets. An Asian call girl is the prime suspect. To make matters more complex a former prominent judge is obsessed with her. Then the bottom drops out from beneath Dismas's feet and all hell breaks
Joyce
Finally, Hardy is back as a lawyer--an assistant DA in SF's very political DA's office--but it's not a good fit. When he's fired, he finds himself on the other side, as a lawyer defending his ex-father-in-law, a judge, for murder. Richly realized characters again and we meet several new series favorites including newspaper reporter Jeff Elliott, who gets his big break reporting Hardy's case, and David Freeman, whose law firm Hardy eventually joins. (Isn't is satisfying to be able to remember eno ...more
Terence M (Spring is in My Step!)
Audiobook - 17:03 hours - Narrated by: David Colacci
I listened to most of this book last year or the year before. After spending some time working out what I remembered of the novel and reading on from where I had given up, after a few hours I realised that "Hard Evidence" suffered from a severe case of 'book bloat'.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Know Absolutely NOTHING About the Law
My problem often with legal thrillers is I know too much about the law--and yes, it matters. Part of the pleasure of a good book is feeling immersed in another world--whether it's Mars or Ancient Greece or a nuclear submarine--or, in this case, the San Francisco District Attorney's office. Our hero in Hard Evidence, Dismas Hardy, is an ex-cop returning to the DA's office at 40 after a stint as a bartender. He's investigating a possible murder after a severed hand wearing a jade ring is found in ...more
Deb Jones
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third novel in the Dismas Hardy series kept me enthralled throughout.

In "Hard Evidence" Hardy is now working as an assistant district attorney. He's a newlywed with an adopted infant daughter and another on the way. Hardy's not thrilled that as one of the low men on the totem pole, his caseload consists of petty crimes committed by lowlife criminals. He understands its the pecking order in the DA's office, but still, he'd like to sink his teeth into something more substantial.

"Be careful w
Cathy DuPont
Sorry, Diz...droning on and on like John Lescroart let you do, becomes very tedious reading. And I decided some time ago that life's too short to waste on books that I don't enjoy reading.

In my opinion, Hard Evidence needed some very serious editing which would have taken the 516 pages to a comfortable 350 pages more or less.

Lescroart's writing simply became very boring with pages and pages of saying little to keep the plot moving forward.

No, I will not stop reading this great series and yes,
Mark
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a much later John Lescroart Hardy/Glitsky novel and absolutely loved it, so I'm working my way through the series from the beginning...I love the use of the city of San Francisco as another character in the story, kind of like Linda Fairstein's use of NYC in her Alex Cooper series...a fun legal thriller explaining Dismas' shift from the prosecutor's side to defense involving defending his ex-Father-in-Law of the murder of an eccentric billionaire who has stolen the affections his mistress ...more
Chris Callahan
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 500+ page book has to really intrigue me to keep my attention to the end, this one did the trick. Great plot, believable characters and a good combination murder mystery/legal drama, I’m hooked on this series and have really just started it (this is book #3 out of 17, so far, the most recent entry was just published).
wally
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lescroart
finished today the 26th of august 2020 good read four stars really liked it kindle owned have not read these in order, interesting to read this one after most of the others that were written after, years apart.
Jeri
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable book but too long.
Steve Sawczyn
Really liking the Dismas Hardy series, very suspenseful, a wonderful escape from reality. When the bullet-ridden body of a Silicon Valley billionaire washes up on shore, assistant D.A. Dismas Hardy finds himself the prosecutor in San Francisco’s murder trial of the century. The suspect: a Japanese call girl with a long list of prominent clients. But when a bizarre series of events blows the case wide open, Hardy finds himself on the other side of the law—as a lawyer for the defense….
Mr Stewart
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Lescroart book I read. Was not disappointed. In fact, it kicked off a courtroom drama reading binge on my part that is still in full swing.

And yes, I agree this particular plot and conclusion is maybe done a little more often than is prudent. But hey. Lescroart's take on it is a good one. So.
Betty
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have been four stars, but the way the author totally glossed over Hardy's decision to not try to use his knowledge about the real killer in his (Hardy's) client's capital murder trial was a huge hole. It was like Lescroart had a page limit and knew he was approaching it, so just skipped over this huge part of the story.
William
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the bloat is a definite distraction
Paul
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to spend time with Dismas and Abe, but a fairly lackluster book in the series.
Stven
Sep 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The tone of this whole thing is, to my ear, mundane and boring. Here's a sequence of paragraphs from a random opening of the book:

Celine told him there was a juice bar on the second floor. Would that be all right? Hardy followed her up a wide banistered granite staircase to the upstairs lobby, the entire space bordered by hi-tech metallic instruments of torture--exercycles, Climb-Masters, rowing machines, treadmills. Each was in use. You couldn't avoid the panting, the noise of thirty sets of wh
Joel
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dismas is now working as a prosecutor in the District Attorney's office. He is frustrated dealing with smalltime cases and manages to snag a possible murder case when a hand is found inside a shark. However, the murder becomes a high profile case and is given to an assistant DA. The case becomes more and more complicated and Dismas is eventually put into a compromising position and decides to leave the DA's office (with a little push from the DA). He then finds himself taking over the defense of ...more
Beth
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Lescroart is one of my go-to authors when I want a crackling good tale of murder, and he doesn't disappoint in this tale of lust and vengeance. I don't necessarily read these books in order, so we catch up with Dismas Hardy, newly married to Frannie and expecting second child (in addition to The Beck, who is a toddler). Dismas has returned to the DAs office after floating around aimlessly, bartending and killing time since his divorce from the luscious Jane.
He is pulled back into her orbit
Gary
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More literate than most, but leaves a bad taste - like a wrong mix of Charles Dickens and Sophocles. Sure, more exciting plot twists and better writing than most, but the social conscience is wobbly; some scenes are just too much on purpose. Some of the relationships ring true, though; however, the fates just don't tie this one up without too much artifice. I enjoyed the ride, but it's about seven leagues below Dickens, and Sophocles is out of sight.
Emily Higgins
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Dismas Hardy has gone back to the practice of law, working in the district attorney’s office. He still walks sharks trying to revive one that is injured. The current shark died, as they all do and a human hand is found in the shark’s stomach. When the body with the missing hand washes ashore with two bullet holes in him, it is the body of a wealthy man. Dismas has a natural interest in the case and would like to be assigned to try the killer, when one is found. Office politics intervene.
Cheryl Okimoto
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this better than the earlier books, primarily because it had less sex and strong language. It was a pretty good story, but a little too convoluted for me. Of course, I might have liked it better if my husband hadn't inadvertently spoiled the ending. He's legally blind, so he listens to audio books, unfortunately, I heard the denouement before I realized how far he'd gotten in the book. That maybe why I felt like it was taking too long to get through the book.
Drew Widney
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thrillers
It’s been fun reading this series not only because I love the characters and stories, but also because the authors writing has improved immensely with each book. The first two novels were very convoluted and had gaps in pacing. This book was perfect throughout and it is clear the author made great improvements with character development.

Barry Womack
I liked the book, I love the characters and storylines, and I plan to keep reading this series. But..... this book went on way too long. I was almost to the point of saying... enough already, just get to the frigging point!!!!!
Chris L
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done in Hardy / Glinski series.

Have read author's other books in the series and he compares favorably with Grisham and Connelly, consistently good plotting and character development.
Carol Thomas
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

Good character development. Plenty of suspects all of them believable. Hardy is a flawed character who we are rooting for. Twist in the end is more about killer's mind than motive!!
John
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a second time, after having first read this book nearly 20 years ago. Dismas Hardy is well written, someone I could relate to in certain respects. The crime seems very San Francisco, and Lescroart makes effective use of the setting. Very enjoyable light reading.
Christopher
I like the continued development of Dismas. Hard to imagine a lawyer can go from Assistant DA, to defense lawyer so quickly, but I'm not a lawyer and guess it happens more than I would think. Did not see the twist at the end coming.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • The Devil's Code (Kidd & LuEllen, #3)
  • Fury (Butch Karp, #17)
  • Walk the Wire (Amos Decker #6)
  • Counterplay (Butch Karp, #18)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport #30)
  • Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The Pardon (Jack Swyteck, #1)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Last Call (Jack Swyteck, #7)
  • The Revelators (A Quinn Colson, #10)
  • The Forgotten Man (Elvis Cole, #10)
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • The Last Trial (Kindle County Book 11)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

News & Interviews