Start by marking “The Unexpected Bride” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Bride

The Unexpected Bride

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
WHAT OTHER SECRETS WAS HIS BRIDE HIDING?

Did family honor really dictate that he marry the first eligible girl who could make intelligent conversation? The Earl of Darleston certainly hoped not, but there was no denying that he needed a bride. And Miss Phoebe Ffolliot seemed the ideal candidate for a marriage in name only.

Or so he thought. Until his bride brought a wolfhoun
Published November 1st 2004 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Bride

Cheesecake
Peter and Penelope. Hmmmm.... This is a tough one to decide on. The story seems to jump hurdles as it goes. The first two chapters I hated it. Peter and his mistress seemed to take over and I always hate having authors force me to see the H enjoying other women. just ICK!!!!
Really the first 25% sucked for the most part. It's set up on a rather convoluted plot for what should be a simple story frame work. Then the story is on more of a roll, but still it was a back and forth for the H; I'm so hot
Cherie
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I like this better than some people. I agree with those who found it disconcerting that Peter kept calling Penelope "little one". He spoke affectionately but like she was a child not an adult. It was weird having him refer to her that way and then make love to her. Darling or sweetums would have been more appropriate.

What I really liked about this book was that even though there was a good deal of misunderstandings, Peter was honest with himself about his feelings and about his behavior. He apol
Fedora
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
The Unexpected Bride is the first book I've read by Ms. Elizabeth Rolls. Overall, it was enjoyable. There was a bit of a which-sister to the plot (the heroine Penelope has a twin sister, Phoebe), with a bit of arranged marriage (the Earl of Darleston, Peter, offers marriage in exchange for forgiving their brother's gambling debts), a few secrets which thankfully don't take over the plot, and a little bit of making an arranged marriage into a real one.

There was a good deal of back-and-forth as Pe
Caro
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: h-mnb-s
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the character, especially the sisters, the emotions, the situations and closeness of the friendships. There were parts that made me lol and smile to myself for the mischief caused and mayhem. I liked the characteristics of the female lead and the innate goodness and confusion of the male lead. I would enjoy reading this book again, and if I owned it, it would stay on the shelf. This would be good for a cuddle-up relaxing read. The last chapters were page-turni ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved the whole book, the plot and it's overall story, but I hated the ending. Because the rest of the book was so good, I can't in my right mind give it a bad rating, but I hate how it "fixed" her blindness rather than just allowing her to conquer it. Normal people, like me, don't just get hit on the side of the head, and 'Presto' their fine. Being disabled is about learning to deal with the problems caused by the disability, which she did, and overcoming it. So, I think that the ending wasn' ...more
Brittany
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historicals
Just did not like this book. The story was pretty good but other than that nothing really stood out. I did not like the author's style writing. It seemed like she would write out every little detail like she was happy then she smiled. Really? Usually, you know she is happy from a smile. Maybe it was because it was written in third person I don't know just wont be reading more by this author. Which is a bummer because I did like the story.
Tishke
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for the writing style; I found this book to be frustrating and almost gave up a couple of times. While the plot for the book was interesting, it quickly turned predictable and therefore a possibly entertaining story idea became lost.
Monica
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I would have liked this book way more if she hadn't used so many exclamation points. I felt like they were all excited about every single thing they had to say, which made the book less exciting for me to read.
Melania Ramona
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-ish
Rose
This is a very average Regency Romance. That said, it was also pretty fun, being sweet and fluffy. The heroine has an Irish wolfhound, which is so cool, because I have one too and I love her to pieces. The heroine is blind, and her marriage to the hero is kind of a mess. The whole thing is one big cliché, but sometimes you just want to read something average and fluffy.
Warning, there are some marginal love scenes which occur between the married protagonists.
Amanda
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it

An enjoyable read once you get to the actual wedding. Unfortunately for the first while it's rather boring as everything is set up. I think everything could've been accomplished in less words, as it was heavy on description. But, like I said it's enjoyable after the actual wedding. Darlestion is a bit of jerk at first, but it's explainable and he does own up to it.

My biggest complaint (view spoiler)

Maggie Hesseling
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Elizabeth Rolls always puts down exactly what I want to read. Penelope may be one of my favorite characters. Slowed down by her loss of sight, she's as sharp as ever, facing all her issues head on. So when her brother loses an enormous amount to the Earl of Darleson, she helps the family by marrying him. She liked him enormously when she met him, but he isn't aware of her vision.

But when her heart opens to him and she shows him her strength, it wont be long before he's under her spell and so in
Elaine
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Several things annoyed me about this book. One was the introduction of characters, which I thought were too many at once. In the beginning of the book I could not keep the characters straight. My second complaint is that I felt the author threw in big words, which I thought distracted from the story line. Conversations seemed disjointed. The last thing which I did not like was the fact the heroine just suddenly got her eyesight back at the end of the book. That was unbelievable to me and didn't ...more
Gemma
Nov 18, 2010 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
I liked the heroine. The hero acted like such an idiot that I wanted to thump him over the head. He was such a "dog in the manger". He didn't want the heroine to get close to him, but he didn't want her to be friendly to anyone else, either. And then he blames her for his frustration! It got so irritating that I finally quit reading.

Also, he kept calling her a "silly child" as a term of endearment. I found that a little creepy.
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
i am a devote fan of elizabeth rolls and this book didn't disappoint in fact i liked it a lot pheobe and penelope are twins and when the earl falls for one without knowing which one... this is really confusing to explain but anyway the earl marries the the wrong twin who is really the right twin and... the book is really good
Dawnie
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Elizabeth Rolls' books. She always manages to write an entertaining Regency Romance that has a little angst, a little humor and a good story. This one wasn't as strong as the last two I've read by her, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!
Halah Ahmad
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
seriously ? SERIOUSLY? this is the worst book I ever read .. and i read a lot of bad books , believe me

This could be bad mixture of Arabian Mexican Indian Soap opera ...
Ana
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing was a bit clunky and awkward but the premise of the story was nice and I found the romance between the two leads to be sweet and charming.
groundmar
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency
I think the dog was my favorite character.
Nikki
May 12, 2016 added it
The twin section of this wasn't necessary to the story. The ending was a little bit wishful fullfillment and would have been better had the heroine's problem not been 'fixed'.
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Rolls owes a huge debt to G. Heyer for her prose.
June
Jun 28, 2012
Sheila A. Jones
Sep 05, 2017
Ovie
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2016
Elvira Effendy
Nov 18, 2016
Corinthia
Sep 30, 2014
  • The Wedding Gamble (Wellingfords, #1)
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • The Penniless Bride
  • How To Seduce A Sinner
  • My Lord Protector
  • The Shy Duchess
  • My Fair Mistress (Mistress Trilogy, #1)
  • A Sicilian Marriage
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Bought for Marriage
  • To Honor (R&R, #1)
  • The Christmas Love-Child
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Greek Billionaire's Love Child
  • Almost A Spinster
  • One Unashamed Night (Wellinghams, #2)
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we ...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...