Start by marking “Where There's Smoke” as Want to Read:
Where There's Smoke

Where There's Smoke

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  14,138 Ratings  ·  1,058 Reviews
Bestselling author Jodi Picoult is a masterful storyteller, who “writes with a fine touch, a sharp eye for detail, and a firm grasp of the delicacy and complexity of human relationships” (The Boston Globe). Now, in this original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, Picoult introduces Serenity Jones, one of the fascinating characters from her eagerly awaited new ...more
Published May 19th 2014 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about Where There's Smoke, please sign up.
JuliaOrlando Where There's Smoke was published 05-2014; Larger Than Life was published 08-2014 > I would read Where There's Smoke first

Lisa
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I don't know why I read short stores because I always find them erm... well... too short!

I nearly always end up frustrated shouting well you can't end it there ffs!

This story was good but frustrating for me personally.

I didn't like the main character much but felt that she would grow on me in time - she has potential.

I would have liked less time spent discussing psychics in general and a bit more depth to the actual story...and a conclusion please!

I guess I'll just have to read the f
Brooke
I have such a love-hate relationship with Jodi Picoult.

2.5 stars;

This definitely held my interest - I want to know what happens!! I'm not a huge fan of how Picoult switches POVs every chapter in her novels so I liked how this (short) story stuck to just one POV. I think I would be more inclined to read more of her if she just stuck to one (or two) POVs for a considerable amount of pages.

Also, not sure if this is just me since I haven't read many short stories but the ending was very abrupt.
Sharon
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From as young as four years old, Serenity Jones could see people that no one else could see. Of course Serenity's mother never believed her the day she told her that she could see a little boy in their house. Her mother told Serenity that the boy wasn't real, but to Serenity he was.

Having lived with her gift most of her life, Serenity now has her own very successful television show where she has the ability and the gift to communicate with the dead. It is here that she is able to help people ge
Marianne
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where There’s Smoke is a short story by popular American author, Jodi Picoult. Serenity Jones is a genuine psychic with her own TV show. She’s been psychic all her life, something her mother recognised from her own great-grandma, an Iroquois healer. Serenity has two spirit guides: Lucinda, a refined, elderly African- American woman; and Desmond, a fierce, feisty gay man. When a war widow whose husband died in Iraq comes on the show wanting to contact him, his message for his wife is not what she w ...more
Jessica
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
All my reviews can be found out: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Where There’s Smoke is the short story introduction to Serenity Jones, a psychic. I found the premise interesting and saw it was just .99 on the Google Play Store, which is free money for me since I participate in the Google Rewards surveys. I always get books with the money I earn from the surveys.

Serenity also has two spirit guides who are entertaining to say the least. And temperamental to
Alaina Meserole
Again, I read books out of order! So this is another prequel to Leaving Time but it was supposed to be read before Larger than Life. Well, I did the complete opposite and I still ended up loving all of the books.

Now I love novellas, I really truly do but sometimes they are just WAY too short. I sometimes really want more from them and other times I'm completely satisfied that it was short because maybe I didn't like who it was about or just something was off to me the entire time.

Yeah, no, that
Brenda
Serenity Jones remembered how life had been when she was a child – living on Campbell’s soups as her mother couldn’t afford anything else. Serenity’s mother didn’t have to live like that anymore – since Serenity began her live television shows where she put people in touch with their dead loved ones, she was famous. Her great-great-grandma was an Iroquois healer and she also had the gift.

The day she had a war widow wanting to be in touch with her husband began as any other – accompanied by her t
Tania
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A very short introduction to Serenity, the main character, in Jodi's newest book releasing in October. Although I didn't find her a very likable character (which I think was intended), I thought the fact that she was a psychic with her own cable show was an interesting angle for a story. I liked the explanations of spirit guides and how the "reading" process is experienced by her. I can't wait for Leaving Time to be released. Oh, and best of all, this novella is free on amazon.
Obsidian
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Please note that I gave this book 2.5 stars, but rounded it up to 3 stars on Goodreads.

I recall getting a Picoult novel a few years ago from a friend and returning it back to her un-read after three weeks. This short story did not make me want to run out and get more of her books. This book was pretty weird I would say. I think because it was a short story we are not given anytime as readers to absorb what we are reading about. Everything was very rushed and put together and with the rather abr
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This popped up on Amazon one day as a free ebook so I decided to give it a shot.

Where There's Smoke is a short story about a psychic medium who has her own TV show where she contacts loved ones who have passed away and in a world full of fakes she is the real deal, a genuine psychic. When she brings on a bereaved war widow in an attempt to boost ratings, though, things start to go wrong.

I really enjoyed this short story. I've never really picked up anything by this author before as she's not m
Dani
"(...) Maybe holding something precious at a distance is the only way to measure its value..."

This is the first Jodi Picoult book that I've ever read. It was extremely satisfying.

This short story presents one of the characters of Leaving Time, Jodi's next novel. The character is Serenity Jones, a medium that hosts her own TV show. In this TV show, she does readings to people with interesting life stories. But everything goes wrong when she invites the widow of an american soldier at Iraq.

I like
Melissa Lee
At only 40 pages the author was able to fit not only a current storyline but enough backstory to understand the main character. The paranormal aspect isn’t really a genre I normally pick up, but I couldn’t put this down. Serenity Jones was an interesting character and I found learning about her special gift to be as well. I won’t say that I am a believer of mediums, but the way Picoult described the process of connecting with the spirits seem to be well.. believable.

Although the ending was qui
Jessica
Jan 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I dont know wtf I just read but it was awful. This was my first Picoult book and may very well be my last for all the hot mess 35 pages managed to be. The story could have been interesting but the writing was poorly done. Loose ends all over the place. Didn't explain the things that were somewhat wrapped up. The main character wasn't terribly likable. And the ending was so abrupt I literally didn't even realize it had ended until i ended up in an excerpt for another book. Also I don't know who s ...more
Joan
I don't often read short stories but this was free and although I have not read anything previously by this author, I knew of her work.

A good read, with an MC who is both likeable and yet dislikable. Crisp writing and a tight storyline. Suffice it to say that after reading this 'prequel', I will probably buy the full length novel Leaving Time when it is published.
Tracy Kellies
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This was actually a good short story until there end, where I was a bit disappointed. The story line was very captivating and I could not stop reading until I was forced to stop because the book ended so abruptly.I was left wanting more.
Jacqui Hida
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is even shorter than a short story! It just ended very abruptly to try and sucker you in to buying the next book in the series. Not for me though. Didn't really enjoy it. I found it all a bit weird and not like a good Picoult book
Nikki
This story is ridiculous. It was poorly written, all over the place and a chore to read. The worst part for me was the MC continually assuring the reader about all of these absurd ideals about death. There is a god! Committing suicide like Juliet leaves you atoning for your sins! Little children are greeted in death by Santa Claus or something like him!

What the fuck do you have to be smoking to believe this?

I only read this because the audiobook was a tag along to another of Picoult's novellas.
Farhin
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, ebook
At first, I was hesitant to download this ebook. Never having previously read any of Jodi Picoult's work formed doubts in my mind as to whether I would enjoy the writing. But the ebook was free so I got it on a whim and I was not disappointed.

As far as I'm aware, this short story is a prequel to another of Picoult's books Leaving Time and Picoult has also written another prequel that goes by the name of Larger than Life. I've only read this one and I understand that these prequels are written to
Judy Collins
For all you Jodi Picoult fans, you cannot miss WHERE THERE'S SMOKE, an e-book short story novella, setting the stage for her heartwarming and upcoming LEAVING TIME, Oct 14, 2014.

Serenity Jones is one of the three narrators featured in LEAVING TIME. She possesses has unusual psychic gifts, she discovered since she was a child. Now she is the host of her TV show, where she delivers messages to the living from loved ones who have passed.

Readers will learn in upcoming LEAVING TIME, Jenna will be sea
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
A rather funny, short story featuring pink-haired Serenity Jones, a psychic medium who was blessed or cursed with these powers all her life. Now, a mature woman, Serenity is some kind of celebrity with her own TV reality show. She connects her guests with their deceased loved ones and tries to relay some message from the afterlife.

One day, her guest is an Iraq war widow, and as soon as she begins to have some sort of connection with her dead husband, she realises that this is not going to be a
Nessie McInness
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was actually... not bad!
I downloaded the ebook because it was free and I though: "I want to be able to badmouth Jodi Picoult's "what would you do?" books from a place of knowledge, so I'm going to read this short story and see how crap this is.
But I can't. This was actually enjoyable.
A little bit of mystery, a little bit of ghosts and poltergeists and even a psychic tv show, so delightfully cheesy. And it wasn't all mourn-sad-pain.
So impressed... Not bad, Picoult!
Hana
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-again
Jodi Picoult has an admirable talent of keeping readers' eyes glued to the page! A good reminder of Diane Chamberlain's style, her work is quick paced, captivating and enjoyable. A very good read even for those who do not believe in the supernatural .
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Interesting collection of short stories. This was my first novel of her and I'm intrigued by enough of the characters to pick up another she's written.

Audiobook Comments
Read by Kathe Mazur and Rebecca Lowman - rather well-done narration on their part.
J. Kahele
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serenity is a pyschic and uses her gift to host a successful TV show, that shows her ability to communicate with the dead. When she is approached by the widow of a man who was killed in Iraq, things take an unexpected twist and Serenity finds her life is no longer the same.

Khulood
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This was a good short story.. I wish there were more details rather than just how her psychic abilities work.. I'm probably going to add the full length novel to my TBR.
Noeleen
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really loved this short story, left me wanting so much more. Can't wait for the new book later this year.
Carrie Ann
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice little short story reminding me why I like Jodi Picoult.
Ron
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
“Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean I don’t.”

Generally I like Jodi Picoult’s work, but this is an infomercial disguised as a short story. Or, perhaps, chum to attract fish to the hook. In this case, Picoult’s forthcoming book involving the same character. The price correctly reflects the value of the story. Disappointing. Probably won’t waste my time on Leaving Time.

“Isn’t that what we all want? To be real to someone?”

Picoult displays all her writing skill but little of what makes
Kelli Santistevan
I enjoyed reading this book.
Emily
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Win.

Picoult does it again. A great quick read that gets you thinking on so many levels. You can't go wrong with this author.
2017 Reading Chal...: Where There's Smoke 1 18 Sep 18, 2015 02:54AM
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • The Christmas Bake-Off
  • The First Lie (Necessary Lies, #0,5)
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • All Is Bright
  • Voices of the Soul (Soul Seers, #1)
  • The Taking of Snow White (Forever Taken, #1)
  • The Three Sisters (The Hollows - Short Story, #3)
  • White Christmas
  • The Perfect Murder: Spine-chilling short stories for long summer nights
  • Blackout
  • Sunshine, With a Chance of Snow
  • Indigo Instinct (Indigo, #2)
  • Senator
  • Helpless: A True Short Story
  • A Matter of Trust
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-four novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, A SPARK OF LIGHT, is available in hardcove

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Sideways
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Warleggan: A Novel of Cornwall, 1792-1793 (Poldark)
  • I Capture the Castle
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“Sometimes, all you can do is watch things burn, and wait for the ash to settle.” 7 likes
“Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean I don't. I can't explain it, I can't understand it, and I can't deny it. So I sure as hell am not gonna fight it.” 4 likes