Start by marking “Around the World in 80 Days” as Want to Read:
Around the World in 80 Days

Around the World in 80 Days

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  4,721 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
Around the World in 80 Days [Hardcover] [Jan 01, 1989] Jules Verne and I. Dummitdown ...
Hardcover, Great Illustrated Classics, 240 pages
Published August 7th 2000 by Playmore Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in 80 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in 80 Days

Jayme(the ghost reader)
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
This is the second time I read this book. I liked it as much as the first time. I really liked the characters of Phileas Fogg , Passpatout, and Aouda. I thought both Passpatout and Fogg both caring men with hearts of gold.
As for Detective Fix, I thought it was rash of him to assume Mr Fogg was a bank robber just because he had money. Passpatout unknowingly befriended him. Yet, he still turns Mr Fogg in.
I really wanted Mr. Fogg to succeed in winning his bet. I thought he was a most sincere pers
Rainbow
it's a classic, about Phileas Fogg he has a bet with his friends. If he could travel around the world in 80 days he would win 20.000 pounds! He tries his best to get everything on time and of course the fastest transportation. During his travels he meets this beautiful Indian princess, that is mistaken for a huge crime and the detective is trying to stop them during this trip. Will Phileas Fogg make it in time and win the winnings? will he get stopped by the detective and get arrested?

I Chose
Paula Vince
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
The year is 1872, and the mathematically minded Phileas Fogg is indignant when his friends laugh off his claim that a man can circumnavigate the globe in just 80 days. They offer him £20 000 to prove them wrong, and he accepts the wager, deciding to set off that very night. His new man-servant, Passepartout, is astounded when Fogg arrives home and tells him to pack their bags within ten minutes.

I would have sided with the majority, who believed there was no way Fogg could plan a trip which had t
Lupe Hernandez
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Personal Response
I really enjoyed this book because it talks about a man (Phileas Fogg) who does a deal with someone else and Phileas Fogg is supposed to travel the world in 80 days and if he does make it he will win 20,000 euros. It is an interesting story because of all the places he goes to.
Plot Summary
In the story there is a man who robs the bank and is running away from the police. This man then works for Phileas Fogg as a French valet so he doesn't have to go to jail. Phileas doesn't know
Elenola2003gmail.Com
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I liked it better than 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Julia
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: book, classics
This wasn't one of my favorite Jules Verne book for there didn't really seem to be much going on with the plot. Basically what makes Jules Verne work so great is his combination of science with the background story but within this one there is also no new science contribution but a man who just plans that he is going to use the new technology of the time to prove a point.

The characters were bland and there wasn't much development on them. I like Jean probably the most since he wasn't stuck up,
Jared
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
They never do fly in a hot air balloon. Just have to point that out. I did not realize how funny Jules Verne could be. There were times when I read this book I was absolutely tickled by the characters. This book was not exactly science fiction like I thought it would be. All of it was possible while Jules Verne was alive. The railroads, and the steamships. I think that was the point. Verne could not believe how far we could go. This is a fun romp. And gives an interesting view of history in the ...more
Vincent Chen
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book to me was considered okay. It didn't really give me a good understanding of what's happening in the story. The use of vocabulary was a little too easy to read. The author could've used more educated vocabulary in the text when explaining the story to the readers. After reading this book, I will consider thinking of reading the other books by the
Alisha
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I did this as an audio book but I still enjoyed it as if I had read it. It was just easier for me to listen to it. It was interesting to find out all the things Fogg had to go through and all the adventures it went on, it was a lot more than I expected. I am glad to have read it.
Derek Williams
Great ending! But you gotta read the whole book to get to it!
Karen
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A quick fun read. MUCH better than the movie with David Niven
Houssein Hamdoun
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
For those who love adventure, this is a good book. I found it a bit too descriptive, but detailed descriptions aside, the events in the book are interesting and fun to read. The book tells the story of Philias Fogg and his servant Passpartout as they embark on a journey around the world in 80 days, it's not as simple as it sounds, and they have to face some obstacles that come in their way. There's a lesson to take from the characters in how they deal with the obstacles in their adventure.
Rohobot
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
Around the world in 80 days is written by Jules Verne it takes place in the late 1800’s. The major character Phileas Fogg, a stern and disciplined man claims that it is possible to go around the world in eighty days. He is challenged to accomplish this feat himself. Thus the major theme of the novel is the possibility of going around the globe in eighty days. Fogg manages to prove that it is possible despite all odds. This novel is very captivating making the reader eager to read it more. The no ...more
Lynn Mitchell
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 8 yr old boy picked this out for us to read together at bedtime. I at times caught him so engrossed in the story that he had stopped playing on his iPad or drawing or whatever he was doing while I read. Glad I get to share some of the classics with him.
Rajib Das
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
অতযনত ভাল কলপবিজঞান কাহিনী । বিশবের পরথম সারির কলপবিজঞান লেখকদের মধযে Jules Verne অনযতম । ...more
Aria Anggana
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
cerita dan cara menceritakannya menyenangkan hanya kecewa saja depan cetakannya Octupus, makin ke akhir makin banyak typo bertebaran sepanjang halaman.
Mslogar
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
We have a bunch of my husband's books from when he was younger and I decided it would be fun to read them-- this is the first time I've ever read this story.
Erin
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great adventure story with some bias views, however written in 1873. Great characters and wonderful overall message to the reader.
Yolanda
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this aloud to my 8yr old and he really liked it! It was sophisticated and well-written enough for me to enjoy and adventurous enough for him to enjoy.
Shahnewaz Ahmed
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite adventure book.
Grayson Hartfield
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! just finished it today. my mom insisted that i read it, after losing interest half-way in. I finished it, and glad that i did!
Angela M
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would have never picked this book up on my own choosing. I'm glad I did :)
Nina Hoppe
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I admit at the beginning I didn't care for Mr. Fogg, but by the end he was an outstanding character.
07MitchN
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
MITCH NELSON
PERIOD: 6
BOOK REVIEW ARGUMENT: PUTTING AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS ON TRAIL.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury: I intend to prove that, despite being a little dated, Around the World in 80 Days, by Jules Verne in being a great adventures book that takes you around the world for young adults. This story is told by a omniscient (third person). Phileas Fogg (the main character) and his servant bet their life savings that they can go around the world in 80 days.
There are only a couple thes
Gabe
Jan 14, 2013 added it
The book Around the World in 80 Days, by Jules Verne, takes place in the late 1800’s. The main character, Phileas Fogg, is a man much like a clock. He has the same routine, following the same time frame every day. He even takes the same number of steps to the reform club each day to play cards with his friends. The idea of traveling the world in eighty days has been floating around the countries. On paper, it can be done. That is counting on all of the trains and boats leaving exactly on time an ...more
Karthik
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Around the world in 80 days is an interesting book because it is about a man named Phileas Fogg who bets to his group of men that he can travel around the world and be back at london in just 80 days. No one believed him so he made a 20,000 pound bet that he can make it around the world, in 80 days. Now in the olden days you do not have airplanes so everything was by ship and trains. Which is why no one believed him, so once they agreed Fogg goes back home and with his new servant Passepartout th ...more
Salam
Dec 02, 2014 is currently reading it
I really enjoyed reading this novel, I was always keen on finding out what will happen to Fogg next, his adventures, or rather his misadventures truly stimulate ones own imagination. Phileas Fogg is first introduced to us as a cold, brilliant English gentleman, he is always precise and follows a strict agenda, Never late and never early. This all changes once evening when he decides to take a bet, to travel the world in 80 days. He bets half his wealth on it, and uses the other half for finding ...more
TJ  Beaver
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Around the world in 80 Days is a great historical fiction book. This book is about a middle age englishman named Mr. Fogg. Mr. Fogg makes a bet in london of 20,000 pounds that he can make it around the world in eighty days by steamer and train. So he set off on his big adventure with his three companions, a lot of money, and a motive. My favorite part of the book is when Mr. Fogg and his three companions get to Omaha by a ice boat. This is my favorite part because when I was younger I went to a ...more
Samantha Brady
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I started reading this book when I was younger but was not able to finish it at that time. When I started it this time I knew that I would finish it. It was better this time and I really liked the servant better then Mr. Fogg just because he was a more believeable character then the other. If I wrote this book I would have the characters more interactive doing more things and still making it back in time. The story is a good one but it needed more action to be believeable. It also needed more di ...more
Megan Anderson
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
An action packed adventure… only you don’t realize it at first because the hero, Phileas Fogg, is a creature of habit that is focused on calculations and not the journey.

Though Verne is known for his science fiction, this work doesn’t dwell on the fantastic. It must have seemed almost like science fiction at the time, however, because a journey around the world in such a short time would have seemed impossible. The (then) modern technology of railroads and steamers made it possible for normal (a
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...