Start by marking “The Golden Ball and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Golden Ball and Other Stories

The Golden Ball and Other Stories

Is it a gesture of goodwill or a sinister trap that lures Rupert St. Vincent and his family to a magnificent estate? How desperate is Joyce Lambert, a destitute young widow whose only recourse is to marry a man she despises? What unexpected circumstance stirs old loyalties in Theodora Darrell, an unfaithful wife about to run away with her lover?
Hardcover, Large Print, 364 pages
Published August 1st 2014 by Center Point (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Ball and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Ball and Other Stories

Vikas Singh
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful collection of short stories by Agatha Christie. None of the stories feature any of her characters like Poirot, Miss Marple, Mr. Quinn of Parker Pyne. Despite that stories have intrigue and keep you glued till the end. One of the stories seems to be inspiration behind the Japanese movie-Grudge. One story features James Bond as well, though only the name is common.
shanghao
I enjoyed the narration more than the stories. Saruman Christopher Lee's narration needed some getting used to, he's got that old-world echo thing going on.

Hugh Fraser, on the other hand, was a fantastic rout from the get-go. From accents to impersonations, he injected much entertainment and a joie de vivre throughout.

The stories themselves ranged from patronisingly silly to satisfyingly justified. There's not much mystery here, and these were some of the most snobbish of Christie's stories, and
Jennifer Girardin
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Golden Ball and Other Short Stories by Agatha Christie is fun and light reading for the Christie fan.
Great if you're short on time, or want something quick to read, these stories are lighter than her longer works, and have less character development, but are good, traditional mysteries.
I particularly enjoyed A Fruitful Sunday, and The Listerdale Mystery.
Laurel Young
The Golden Ball is a collection of early Agatha stories from the 1920s and '30s. It is highly atypical in that there is scarcely a mystery to be found, at least in the strict sense. Instead, we see Christie explore themes of romance, suspense, and the supernatural, sometimes with a flavor of mystery or a crime of passion involved. To be frank, some of the stories are overwrought, with characters of impossible beauty and/or wealth behaving in a melodramatic fashion. Lovers are united or reunited ...more
Shiloah
This book contained many different types of stories aside from her usual offerings. I loved them all! From the psychological, to magical, to ghost story, this book seems to offer quite a lot. The last story wrapped it up perfectly.
Nanosynergy
Fifteen Agatha Christie short stories. A mixture of romance mysteries with Christie's plucky heroine and horror/supernatural.
-The Listerdale Mystery
-The Call of Wings
-Magnolia Blossom
-Next to a Dog
Chris
I am a big fan of Agatha Christie, but this collection was very hit or miss for me, mostly miss. Not a real mystery in the bunch although a couple of decent old style thrillers. The rest were IMHO silly romances that relied on ridiculous coincidences or supernatural fantasy tales that didn’t work at all.

Two stories that I enjoyed: Swan Song—an excellent thriller and Magnolia Blossom which in a way reminded me of Ibsen’s A Doll’s House.
Kimberly Ann
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it

I must say that I had hesitated reading this book as I knew it was not one of Christie's better known detective stories. I was very surprised and pleased.

15 Stories:

1. The Listerdale Mystery: A woman in desperate straits finds a good home

2. The Girl on the Train: A young woman jumps on a train making a fast escape

3. The Manhood of Edward Robinson: A Young man learns to stand up to his bossy fiance

4. Jane in Search of a Job: A young woman agrees to impersonate a princess and ends up involved in a
Janet
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read short stories since I don't remember when. All these stories were by the same author. Some I really liked, some I could take or leave but they were well written. Different, found myself just getting into the story and characters and it was done. Overall, good.
Rosie
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the beginning stories better than the ones later on, but overall a very good sample of Agatha Christie :) My favorite story was "The Girl In The Train." I wuvs George!
R
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pages Read: 187/235

This is short story collection about strange occurrences and the paranormal. None of the stories are what I'd call bad, but they completely failed to engage this reader. None of them felt original or unique and more than one espoused some rather antiquated views on gender role or races, which I did not enjoy. For example, a character with oriental heritage is assumed to know or be able to use ancient magic simply because she has oriental blood.

I will say that I could see sever
Mike Zickar
The first book of Christie short stories I had read. This is a mixed bag. I really got the sense that I was observing a beginning writer trying to explore directions, techniques, and topics. Many of these stories are like her typical mystery novels, though the end of the volume the stories veer into the supernatural. I really felt the influence of Henry James toward the end of the volume.

There are some touching stories and many that are forgettable.
Diana Long
Nothing really appealed to me.
Abbey
1971, another of the 1970s collections of her early short stories, this has fifteen; eleven of them were first published in magazines in the 1920s, and the only information I can find for the other four is that they appear to have been first published in the short story collection THE HOUND OF DEATH, 1933, (UK only).

Includes [date= when first published]:

1925 12 The Listerdale Mystery apa The Benevolent Butler
— wonderfully sweet little gem of a Cinderella tale, Christie-style, and one of my favo
Teri-K
Most single-author short story mystery collections are full of similar stories. This one isn't. It also isn't full of typical mysteries, either.

The first set of stories have some similar themes - young celebrity women in disguise, stolen jewels, plenty of misdirection, unlikely romances. Still the stories have a nice variety to them. They're also about human nature, temptation and self-concept as much as crime and detection. Plus they are non-violent, romantic, and fun. I would give them 4 stars
Astrid Lim
I like the first half part of the book (in Indonesian translation, most of them are taken from the Listerdale Mystery) - they're hilarious, full of great sense of humor, witty and surprising, they remind me of delightful stories by Roald Dahl. But the second half of the book is too full of supernatural stories (taken from The Hound of Death), and I don't enjoy them as much as the first half part of the book. I wish Christie wrote more hilarious stories. She really had great sense of humor!
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was not what I expected from Agatha Christie! Nice mix of stories here- some "mysteries" here but instead of making them a full novel, she cut to the chase and explained them right away. I was surprised to see so much romance and even subjects touching on the occult. Some of the stories were sad but most were filled with hope.
Stephen Osborne
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good collection of short stories from the Queen of Mystery. Standout stories are "The Strange Case of Sir Andrew Carmichael" which concerns a murder plot and the ghost of a gray cat and "Next to a Dog", not a mystery story but a simple, well told tale of a girl at her wits end, who has only the love of her dog to keep her going.
Susan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slmta
Very different than other stories by Agatha Christie.
I enjoyed the lighter side and the unexpected endings.
Fifteen stories deal with a mysterious benefactor, a young woman in hiding, switched cars, an unusual job listing, a secret test for suitors, and a stolen emerald.
Deep Hollow
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-england
Uneven but interesting. It is probably only a 3 star book, but have to give Dame Agatha the benefit of the doubt.
Madeleine
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of Christie stories - a perfect mix of mystery, humor, romance, and the supernatural.
✩Anna✩
Just an OK collection. The first half of the stories all seemed to end up Happily Ever After and the second half of the stories were a little darker and spookier.
Jessica Luckey
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall the book was interesting and a different genre than i usually read
An Odd1
Mar 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"The Golden Ball and other stories" by Agatha Christie is 15 stories, most ordinary Britons in suddenly puzzling situations settled to happy ever after HEA engagements, 2 tragedies, 5 horror, all unavoidable destiny. I liked best Listerdale, title Golden Ball, and Rajah's Emerald, for amusing twist endings. All draw us into different settings inhabited by individual personalities. Likening a woman to a grimy tree is not my idea of effective symbolism; the horror seems wishy washy woo-woo.

1 The
agatha
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite short story collection from Christie. While not every story hits the mark (for me), but there are enough that this is a delicious and regular re-read. Do NOT go into this book expecting clever mysteries and solutions, though - this is more of a lighthearted book, with silly and highly improbable but still very fun romances and of course Christie still has her touch with character writing.

Favorites are The Listerdale Mystery, The Girl in the Train, The Manhood of Edward Robin
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I don't know... were these short stories mysteries??? Well, whatever, it's Christie so I'm leaving it on the shelf.

The first eight stories were a fun escape. A little bit of whimsy, a bit of romance and a stretch of the imagination led me to read a few at a time. I got bogged down in the second half when the stories took a weirdly mystical turn. Of the last seven I want the minutes I spent reading "The Hound of Death" back as well as "The Call of Wings". Three more of the seven were still more
☯Emily
This book of short stories is one of the worst collection that I have read by Agatha Christie. First, most of the stories were not mysteries in the true sense of the word. The Listerdale Mystery was cute and interesting with a "mystery." It was one of the better stories. However, many of the stories were "ghost" stories and some were filled with stereotypes from the occult genre which I found both boring and silly. Perhaps if you believe in the mystical and supernatural, you might enjoy them. I ...more
Beth (FebruaryFilly)
Tricia
Don't come to this expecting typical whodunit style mysteries. The first half (more or less - 7 of 15) are stories with some kind of mistaken identity, either of people or objects. Some have a supernatural / spiritualist angle. Four of the last eight I had previous listened to as BBC adaptations (in the "modernized" series).

Another element in multiple stories: complete novice drivers. Was there a period of time when people could just go buy a car with absolutely no training or prior experience?
Kellie's Book List
As with any compilation of short stories (especially 15 of them), these are a bit of a hit or miss.
Some of the mysteries are very well done, but others didn't

The real mystery stories felt like other Agatha Christie books, but there were quite a few that felt more like romantic comedies? Not that they weren't good - just unexpected, and didn't seem to fit with the others.

Audiobook note: It threw me off when they switched narrators partway through the book. Not sure why they changed.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Agatha Christie L...: January 2017 - The Golden Ball and Other Stories 8 47 Mar 14, 2017 07:46PM

• Giant's Bread
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Duchess of Death: The Unauthorized Biography of Agatha Christie
  • Lord Peter (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • The Return of Mister Campion
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Agatha Christie
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t