Start by marking “The Woodland Homestead: How to Make Your Land More Productive and Live More Self-Sufficiently in the Woods” as Want to Read:

Published June 30th 2015 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Woodland Homestead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woodland Homestead

Start your review of The Woodland Homestead: How to Make Your Land More Productive and Live More Self-Sufficiently in the Woods
Don Alesi
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with so many things that can be helpful for a person who just purchased wooded property. Everything from counting trees, to making maple syrup is covered. Using saws and axes to raising chickens. I could go on and on. This will be my go to book as I build my mountain top cabin.
Anna B.
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this when looking for other books in the Backyard Homestead series also published by Storey Publishing. It was intriguing to me because the land my Husband and I plan to build our Homestead on is heavily wooded and we were debating whether or not to clear cut a significant portion of the land- yet here was a book offering us an alternative. So at first I picked it up first for Kindle, but then decided to get it in Paperback form once I saw the information in it.

This book really does take
Heather
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive with many ideas we never would have thought of or considered.
Jeannie Zelos
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The Woodland Homestead, How to Make Your Land More Productive and Live More Self-Sufficiently in the Woods, Brett McLeod
Genre:Outdoors & Nature, Self-Help
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
I was brought up in a home where every bit of land was used, and if dad couldn’t grow it then we rarely ate it...we lived in a council house with a largish garden and he had 2/3 acre of allotments. We had goats for milk ( awful stuff! and the damn things are born to escape and eat what they shouldn’
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Despite not living in North America, or indeed anywhere near a woodland, I was drawn to request this book because there's a slim possibility that I may one day live near woodland, and thought it might have some generally handy information that might just be interesting to know.

I have to say though, that this book is way beyond the level of the casual woodland dreamer. If you own land with woodland and are even mildly
Lili
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From Netgalley for a review:

I have long wanted to sell all my belongings, buy a lot in a forest, and live off the land. So anytime I get to read a new book on the subject it makes me very thrilled! This is an excellent example on home-steading and self sufficiency, with the specification of living in a forest. And the forest is so bountiful, so having so specialized a guide makes perfect sense.

I do wish the guide had more illustrations, there are plenty, but I always want more, it is just my
Heather Brown
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
The Woodland Homestead is filled with description, exceptional sketches, and detailed information about how to turn your messy forested lot into a beautiful and productive Woodland farm. Brett McLeod shows how to make a cabin, furniture, fences, silvopastures(woodland pastures), charcoal far superior to store-bought, animal fodder and human food. Woodland Homestead is a wonderful resource for anyone with a wooded lot of any size.
Jennybeast
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I freely admit that there was a good third of the book that I couldn't really quite follow -- I learn better doing than reading, but! Wow, what a comprehensive and well written guide to woodlot maintenance. I've always wanted to learn more about it, and this was an accessible and interesting read.
Luke
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: environment
Good quick introduction to making layered use of woodland property, polyculture grazing/forage and orchard gardening.
Kristina Seleshanko

• The Frugal Homesteader: Living the Good Life on Less
  • NIrV Adventure Bible for Early Readers
  • The Art of Spell Casting I: Basic Casting
  • How Long You Should Wait to Have Sex
  • The Backyard Homestead Book of Building Projects: 76 Useful Things You Can Build to Create Customized Working Spaces and Storage Facilities, Equip the Garden, Store the Harvest, House Your Animals, and Make Practical Outdoor Furniture
  • Where Love Is, There God Is Also
  • Bless Your Heart: Saving the World One Covered Dish at a Time
  • Kitchen Witchcraft: Crafts of a Kitchen Witch (Pagan Portals)
  • The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles, #1)
  • Practical Elemental Magick: Working the Magick of Air Fire Water & Earth in the Western Esoteric Tradition
  • Sweet Revenge: Passive-Aggressive Desserts for Your Exes & Enemies
  • Radiance: Experiencing Divine Presence
  • Make Your Own Rules Cookbook: More Than 100 Simple, Healthy Recipes Inspired by Family and Friends Around the World
  • Learn How to Do Witchcraft Rituals and Spells with Your Bare Hands (Witchcraft Spell Books, #1)
  • The Good Housekeeping Cookbook: The Bridal Edition: 1,275 Recipes from America's Favorite Test Kitchen
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • The Survival Handbook: Essential Skills for Outdoor Adventure