Start by marking “Die I Will Not (John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Die I Will Not (John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries, #3)

Die I Will Not

(John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries #3)

Unhappy wife and young mother Penelope Wolfe fears scandal for her family and worse. A Tory newspaper editor has been stabbed while writing a reply to the latest round of letters penned by the firebrand Collatinus. Twenty years before, her father, the radical Eustace Sandford, also wrote as Collatinus before he fled London just ahead of accusations of treason and murder a ...more
Published November 4th 2014 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published April 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Die I Will Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die I Will Not

Lelia Taylor
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: full-reviews

A long time ago, or what seems like a long time in one’s reading life, I “discovered” S.K. Rizzolo’s first book, The Rose in the Wheel, and fell in love with the characters and the setting and the time period and the author’s writing style. In a word, I was smitten. Then came Blood for Blood the following year and this was no sophomore slump. I could hardly wait for the third book but wait I did…and wait and wait and wait.

Finally, I gave up, thinking the author had decided not to contin
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die I Will Not Die I Will Not is a Regency era mystery. A newspaper editor is murdered and this story, main protagonist, Penelope Wolfe fears that it may very well be her father who was murdered the man because of his works writing as Collatinus. She works once more with lawyer Edward Buckler and John Chase to try to figure out who may be the killer as she wants to clear her father's good name.

Carolyn Injoy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free kindle copy of Die I Will Not by Suzanne Rizzolo. This John Chase Mystery (Regency Mysteries) is published by Poison Pen Press. I gave it four stars because it kept my attention & I found a few interesting plot twists. It's historical fiction at its best.

I did not guess the end. The characters were well drawn & likable when they were supposed to be. They were also disrespected based on their unscrupulous behaviors. For an entertaining weekend read, pick this one.

Link to
Diana
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hfvbt
Loved the storyline of this story. Loved the characters. Penelope was a great heroine! I thought her, Buckler and John Chase made the perfect team! I personally love reading about the Bow Street Runners. The writing was engaging. I loved the mystery aspect.
Martha
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This intriguing mystery opens with a woman making her way along a street in Georgian London. From the first descriptions: “coach lamps winking out of the darkness, mud and horse muck, forced to skirt a cluster of prostitutes, a crew of young men out to enjoy themselves”, the London of this turgid and complex period slithers off the page and into our imaginations. This same first paragraph introduces a key theme of this book, “…and she paused to gaze after him thinking how lucky he was to walk in ...more
Erin Al-Mehairi
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love all types of mysteries. However, I've always thought that mysteries set in historical England were, of course, even more "hook" worthy due to their atmospheric qualities. One series that I recommend is by S.K. Rizzolo. Her Regency mysteries are intelligent, historical, detailed, and full of drama and intrigue.

Recently, the third book, Die I Will Not, published and I was super excited to read it as a newspaper editor's murder is involved. Being a journalist, I adore settings, plots, and sc
Abigail Bok
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Die I Will Not is the third in an excellent series of mysteries set in Regency London; I have read all three, though from other people’s comments I gather it is not necessary to read the first two books in order to enjoy this one.

S. K. Rizzolo’s greatest strength to my view is the depth and thoroughness of her research; in the previous two novels she richly evokes the historical and physical setting. In this one, she takes some of that setting as given, only offering us detailed descriptions of
Carolina
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally published at: A Girl that Likes Books

I asked and received this book through NetGalley for free. This review is not sponsored nor influenced in anyway. Thanks to Poisoned Pen Press for the book. The books is expected to be published on November 4th, 2014

First impression

This happens to me more often that I would like to admit...I start a book and I realized that is part of a series. But I decided to continue with it, because it was a crime book, setting in Georgian London! As it turns o
The Lit Bitch
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it

The John Chase series intrigued me. I often gravitate toward British mysteries/detective novels with female protagonists, so a series that boasted a male detective grabbed me.

I have not read any of the other books in this series but from what I gather, Penelope is also in the other books and are the Edward and John (obviously). I didn’t feel overly lost in the book, but it was clear that this was a series whose characters had history together.

Rizzolo did a nice job at orientating the re
Truusje
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
*I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I like historical fiction and I like crime stories so I expected to enjoy this book, even when I hadn't read the first two in this series. Yet, somehow this book didn't work for me. I find it hard to pinpoint exactly why it didn't because the writing was fine, as was the historical context. On the other hand the characters were rather bland and the plot wasn't particularly exciting. I can't work out how boring Penelope managed
Kathleen Kelly
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Penelope is a new mother and sometimes finds her stay at home status to be a bit boring, she loves the excitement that
Susan
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Penelope Wolfe is worried about the writings of Collatinus. His letters attack the Prince Regent. Penelope fears that they will think Collatinus is related to her. Her father was the first Collatinus who fled as he was accused of treason and murder of a woman. Her husband doesn't help her so she turns to the lawyer Edward Buckler and Bow Street Runner John Chase. While they stand behind her in her fight. One finds dirty politics plus more. Will this mystery ever be solved? Will Penelope win her ...more
Rhiannon Overby
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I didn't read the first two books in this series, it made a relatively decent standalone. You can tell within the book that these characters have a past together but I never felt like I was really missing something by not reading the previous books.

I enjoy reading historical novels so I was really looking forward to this book, unfortunately it didn't live up to my expectations. While the writing in this story was good, not much else was. There were several points within the story that I re
Annie
Oct 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Even though Die I Will Not is a part of the John Chase series, Penelope Wolfe is the star of the novel. Penelope is the wife of a struggling, spendthrift artist. The Wolfe family are currently living in London while Jeremy Wolfe tries to raise interest in his portraiture while Penelope minds the family accounts. Her friend, barrister William Buckler, is trying to attract clients while nursing his unacknowledged love for Penelope. Meanwhile John Chase, a Bow Street Runner, is sticking his nose in ...more
Zita K.
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
First, I want to write, that's no problem if you read this book first, without the knowledge of the previous books in the series. This book has the perfect mix of mystery, historic London, intelligent heroes, mysterious murders, Bow Street, and family secrets. I really like Penelope, Edward and John as characters, they are all well written and their actions make sense. Crime mystery or rather mysteries drew me into the book from the very first pages, the plot is multilayered and interesting. I l ...more
Steve
Sep 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was a tedious read. Right from the start I was overwhelmed with a bevy of characters. They came and went so quickly and were referenced to like they were well known historical figures.
From that moment on, I could never connect with these characters as they pursued the killer.
I wasn't able to immerse myself in their world like is needed in a non modern day story. Each page left me feeling more lost, confused and disconcerted. I made it through to the end but only through will power and not
Barbara
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Barbara by: Shelf Awareness
I am a very big fan of historic mysteries set in England and was looking forward to reading this book which sounded like it would be interesting. I became confused from page one on because of the fact that there were so many characters who came and went quickly and sometimes were never mentioned again. I didn't care about them and found them uninteresting. Perhaps if I had read the previous books, I would have enjoyed this one more.
Mary
Nov 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
English teacher Rizzolo writes a Regency London historical mystery series. This is the third in her series which started with “The Rose in the Wheel” and “Blood for Blood.” Her books center around lawyer Edward Buckler and Bow Street Runner John Chase. Rizzolo’s books have been called likeable, vivid, and intelligent. She brings Regency London to life with characters that you want to continue to get to know.

Julie Ferguson
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fascinating mystery from Rizzolo that kept me turning the pages. It is filled with intrigue, politics coming back to haunt, and a murder in Regency London. The author creates strong characters and many twists and turns in the story that will cause readers some insomnia. She has done her research and is good at her craft.
Recommended, especially for those that like historical mysteries.
msleighm
Netgalley ARC

3.5 stars rounded down.

Review to follow.
Linda
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced, well-written, entertaining and atmospheric Regency mystery. I liked the characters very much and I so look forward to reading more in this series.
Terryann
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
i'm a sucker for a victorian mystery any day:)
Mary
Viccy
Sep 22, 2014
James Lynam
Oct 10, 2014

• Dangerous to Know (Lillian Frost & Edith Head #2)
  • The Black Friar (Damian Seeker, #2)
  • The Judgment
  • Grist
  • Dreamwalker
  • The Monster Underneath
  • Chaos Comes to Longbourn: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • An Empty Death (DI Ted Stratton, #2)
  • The Author Training Manual: Develop Marketable Ideas, Craft Books That Sell, Become the Author Publishers Want, and Self-Publish Effectively
  • The Old Rectory: Escape to a Country Kitchen
  • Fall of Angels (An Inspector Redfyre Mystery #1)
  • A Swarming of Bees
  • Jesus Jackson
  • A Chorus of Innocents (Sir Robert Carey #7)
I am the daughter of an Italian-American avid reader and an Arkansas farm boy turned oilman. After being raised in Libya and Saudi Arabia, I returned to the United States for high school. In college I majored in English with no clue as to how I meant to support myself, eventually earning an M.A. and becoming an English teacher. Set in Regency England, my mystery series follows the exploits of a Bo ...more

John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries (4 books)
  • The Rose in the Wheel (John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries, #1)
  • Blood for Blood (John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries #2)
  • On a Desert Shore (John Chase/Penelope Wolfe Regency Mysteries #4)
“Young Byron thundered on. 'Is there not blood enough on your penal code, that more must be poured forth to ascend to Heaven and testify against you? … Will you erect a gibbet in every field and hang up men like scarecrows?'
Gazing around at the sea of implacable faces, Chase was certain he knew the answer to that question.”
0 likes