Start by marking “The Deluge” as Want to Read:
The Deluge

The Deluge

It came from nowhere. The only warning was the endless rumbling of a growing earthquake. Then the water came—crashing, rushing water, covering everything. Destroying everything. When it stopped, all that was left was the gentle lapping of waves against the few remaining buildings rising above the surface of the sea.

Will the isolated survivors be able to rebuild their lives
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Leisure Books (Dorchester Publishing Co.) (first published November 27th 2007)

Adamus
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This was my first book by the author & it was packed with action, suspense, great characters, & a awesome plot! I feel the book did a good job keeping you guessing & on the edge of your seat! Def a lot of fun
Barbara Brown
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like post-apocolyptic zombie/alien/body-snatcher stories
I dropped a couple stars here because I am rather disappointed. First of all, I did enjoy the book. I would suggest it to my friends. I liked the story. I felt for the characters. I thought the action was paced well. I was asking questions all the way to the end. Therein lies the problem.

Even at the end none of my questions was answered. Not One. I think it is good when a book leaves you with a certain level of questioning: societal issues, psychological demons, who am I, why are we here. That
Matt Tandy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A fun, fast read, The Deluge goes more for the gross out rather than true terror. The influences definitely show (The Stand. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Walking Dead), but at least the characters are real enough that you want to continue turning the pages. If Mark Morris writes a sequel, I'll certainly read it, but I'm not running to the store for another novel by him.
Chris Maguire
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fantastic. Character development, original aliens, vivid scenery. A wild post-apocalyptic ride. A cross between "The Road" (bleak landscape), "The Walking Dead" (group dynamics and tribal warfare) and "The Thing" (doppelgängers)
Jseger9000
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I passed Deluge up on its original publication because the reviews in general rated the book as mediocre at best.

Still, the synopsis was tempting enough that I kept wondering about the book: In the dead of night, London suddenly and impossibly floods. Water covers all but the tops of the tallest skyscrapers, wiping out the majority of the population. When the floodwaters recede the survivors find that they are not alone.

Well, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the book. As soon as I started
Andrew
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok I will admit that this was a totally new book and author to me and I took one of my random gambles on it. I must say that it was a mixed book to me - and it seems I am not the only one.
Anyway the book- well again I will not give the story away but it feels like it come is sections. Now I am no author and I am sure I will be told that is how books work - but this one felt like several separate stories with the characters coincidentally having the same names. Each story had similar aspects but
Victoria
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
After watching the movie 2012 today, I was definitely in the mood to read this sort of disaster-novel. And it certainly was entertaining! A fast and fun read, it had a lot of cinematic qualities, but was, unfortunately, a bit light on the explanations.... Though, I suppose that was part of what made it seem like such a believable book. The ending was pretty loose, but I don't know that there could have been a better way to end it. Still, it was a fun read and I would certainly read another book ...more
Greg Curtin
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
SPOILER ALERT!
First review from my EVO, so we will see how it works out! There were a lot of things that happened in this book that were to "easy" or "neat" for the storyline. There are good parts that made me feel a little naseaus when descriptions of the dead (espically the kids....still makes me cringe). Good story though that mixes in some science fiction with horror...left me with a lot of unanswered questions, but isn't that what a good book will do many times!?!?!?!?
Tressa
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, horror, aliens
Mark Morris is a great reader style-wise, but while the plot is a good one—a flood covers the entire world, leaving few survivors—and the characters are well written, the story just didn't keep my interest. It seemed like just another survivors-band-together-after-a-cataclysm story with nothing new to add to the genre. But maybe I've read too many of them over the years?
Lee
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The second post-apocalyptic novel I've finished today, and also the second book I've read today that I got as part of a three-for-a-pound deal at my local charity bookshop. Coincidence? Well, yes, obviously.

This book isn't dreadful, it just doesn't feel very original. It's a loosely cobbled together mish mash of scenes from 28 Days Later, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and a few others. The story isn't badly told either, although it does seem like the author rushed through the beginn
Justin Robinson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it liked it
The basic problem with any post-apocalyptic novel is that it doesn't end. It just kind of picks a place to stop, and that's when we're done with our little group of survivors. The best scenes are the beginning, when the disaster, whether its, plague, zombies, or plague zombies, wipe out civilization, and then the rest of the book is a collection you've seen before: scavenging, the hope spot, the encounter with cannibal rapists, the last stand and so on. This one is no exception.

Where it does sco
Stuart Hughes
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The blurb: "It came from nowhere. The only warning was the endless rumbling of a growing earthquake. Then the water came - crashing, rushing water, covering everything. Destroying everything. When it stopped, all that was left was the gentle lapping of waves against the few remaining buildings rising above the surface of the sea.

"Will the isolated survivors be able to rebuild their lives, their civilisation, when nearly all they knew has been wiped out? It seems hopeless. But what lurks beneath
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I ran out and bought this book as soon as I read the premise, but ultimately, was slightly disappointed in the outcome. Although the quality of the writing was smooth and the action moved along fast, I would have liked to have seen the survivors deal with the flood element a lot more. Instead, the water disappears less than 50 pages into the book. I also felt the character development was a little light and I was troubled with some inconsistent logic when fighting the enemy towards the end. My o ...more
Angela
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
It was ok, I give it a 3 stars. I liked it
It was a fast-paced. I don't know how to summon up my feelings on this book, at some points it was really exciting that it made me want to keep on reading it, and wanting it to be into a series. And other points I just read cause I was curious what was going to happen on the end. Anyways, what happens on the end is what happens on every typical horror(or end of the world) books. Almost everyone ends up dying and they just fly into the sun to another futu
Trevor
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Apocalypse Whenever Group
Shelves: horror-general
Cool hybrid apocalyptic/horror/sci fi read, evoking a couple images from The Road -- there's one scene that I recall where the group specifically mentions a grown man and a boy walking together in the wasteland. It has elements of apocalyptic reads and zombie books I like: last person on earth moments, marauding/roving gangs, interesting group dynamics, plenty of scares, gruesome discoveries, etc.

Thanks be to Paperback Swap for this one!
Diane T.
I give The Deluge 3.5 stars. Mark Morris manages to make this struggle for survival interesting. The characters are decent people who are determined to stay that way at their core. They refuse to revert to a survival of the fittest mentality which makes for some for interesting dilemias. All in all a good read with some twists to it.
Karen
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This book wasn't the apocalyptic book that I thought it was, but it was indeed a good story. The groups struggles to survive after a worldwide flood take them through emotions and moral conflicts that would leave many in despair. I did find the ending a little disappointing, it left me hanging out in the middle of nowhere, with no hope of finding what or where 'the end' really was.
Bill
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Does exactly what a good pulp horror novel should, it scares you! OK maybe not terrifying but some very scary moments in my opinion. I enjoyed this book as a great bit of escapism. I found some of the characters a little too one dimensional though. The story and the flow was generally pretty good though
Scott
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I liked the beginning of this one -- probably up until about halfway through, then I started to really *not* like it. The reasons behind the "deluge" seemed like the author had no other ideas, and he came up with something pulled from a hat. If the book had been longer, or maybe an immediate sequel, I'd give it a higher rating; as it is, it stands at a meager two stars.
Bethany Compton
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
That was one amazing ending! This book was all around amazing. It was so unique. The aliens, the way the world changed, the writing was amazing, easy to follow and understand, kept my focus, and gosh I just loved it! It did leave a few unanswered questions which aggravated me but overall a 4.8 stars!
Bevan Audstone
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Fishface
This was a fun one, if very like "The Stand" and "Swan Song" in too many ways. Well-written overall; really gave me a sense of the weariness, uncertainty and clinging filth experienced by the characters.
Donna
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really liked this one. Read it in one day. Towards the end, especially, I found myself very much caught up in the drama, wondering who was and wasn't human, who would and wouldn't survive. Good read :)
Iain Gray
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
An enjoyable romp through post apocalyptic Britain. The reason for the three is there is no explanation for the flood nor any closure on where the blue lightening/eggs/creatures originate from. Also it ends abruptly with the end of the major fight in Scotland.
DoodlePanda
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, apocalypse
I think this was a really good story. I think if not for the ending I would have given it at least 4 stars. It just feels like there should be more to it, more answers. But I still think it was worth a read, well written and with lots of action and suspense.
Catherine
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good thriller, some scary bits...I always like natural disaster stories as they are more feasible than the supernaturals...

Although...it had the kind of ending that I hate...vague...
Tamalyn
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
quite enjoyable story, a little odd in places as the storyline is pretty unique but the ending was full of action and overall i give it 5 stars
Connor
Aug 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great story. Eerie and with a great post-apocolyptic feel. The book is a bit weak in the beginning, though.
Brittney
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a really good book up to the end. Then it just kind of stopped. No explanations or alluding to a sequel. It kind of left you just wondering.
BookwormDH
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great read. Twists and turns, and quite a spooky feel.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Strange description removed 6 45 Nov 24, 2011 02:22PM
  • Long Voyage Back
  • The Last Gasp
  • Breeding Ground
  • Night Life
  • The Tombs of Eden (Eden Saga, #1)
  • Darkfall
  • A Wrinkle in the Skin
  • Slither
  • Mother of Storms
  • Minutes to Burn
  • The Next Wave (Clickers #2)
  • Freezing Point
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Mark Morris became a full-time writer in 1988 on the Enterprise Allowance Scheme, and a year later saw the release of his first novel, Toady. He has since published a further sixteen novels, among which are Stitch, The Immaculate, The Secret of Anatomy, Fiddleback, The Deluge and four books in the popular Doctor