Start by marking “Formerly Known as the Justice League” as Want to Read:
Formerly Known as the Justice League

Formerly Known as the Justice League (Justice League)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  552 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Collecting the best-selling 6-issue miniseries that reunited the 1980s incarnation of the team! The heroes are convinced by Maxwell Lord to become a team for hire, but no sooner do they re-form than they're captured by Roulette. She pits one against the other in her arena but the team escapes, only to come face-to-face with galactic conqueror (and inter-stellar headcase) M ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Formerly Known as the Justice League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formerly Known as the Justice League

Sophie
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Heh. Even though it's not quite as good as "I can't believe it's not the Justice League" (mostly because it lacks Guy), this is hilarious. This includes some of my favorite Booster/Beetle moments plus several really funny (if probably out of character) Batman scenes. Hee. If you like books that have one really silly joke after the other, this is the book for you.
Đenis
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrow-ed, cmx
Toto bola skôr soap opera alebo nejaký sit com . Textu požehnane, urážky snaď každý každého. Batman sa snaží byť vtipálek.
Richard Barnes
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Ah, a trip down memory lane, when comics used to be FUN!!

When Keith Giffen and co came up with Justice League International back in the 80's, it was deliberately funny, a reaction to the grim and grittiness brought on by the Dark Knight and Watchmen. Lord knows, we need this stuff even more today (see my review of Green Lantern Blackest Day)....

However, even though this is great fun, great art, great gags....it doesn't do some of the old guys any credit - Blue Beetle and Booster Gold (et al) wer
Juan Pablo Fernandez
Mooooooyy Bueno

Fuera de joda, de los mejores cómics que leí. Página tras páginas te matas de risa; los personajes están super bien; los diálogos son memorables; la historia, simple, pero perfectamente a tono con el cómic en general, en fin, absolutamente brillante.

Había leído ya algunos números de la Liga de la Justicia Internacional original, la de los 80s, y la verdad que creo que esto lo supera ampliamente. Es cierto que la original tenía que mantener un tono más heroico y esto apunta a algo
East Bay J
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I’d have never believed it in my youth, but DC has a sense of humor. I guess the first inkling on my radar was that first, classic, righteous, amazing Lobo miniseries. Formerly Known As The Justice League has entrepreneur Maxwell Lord pulling together former JL members and a few new faces to make a “people’s” superhero team who, like Ghostbusters, come runnin’ when you call for help. What’s awesome is that it seems like little more than an excuse for Giffen and DeMatteis to have monkey time. Ser ...more
Wt
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I LOVED the Justice League after Crisis, because no longer was it all big guns (Superman,Batman & Wonder Woman), it was characters who were "defective". Heck, the writing on that book got so good, I started enjoying Martian Manhunter (who is second only to Aquaman for worst DC hero).
Giffen took the League's players from that time period (who could forget Booster and Blue Beetle and the living island they tried to make a resort on? or the killer penguins from Justice League Antarctica?) and b
Camilo Guerra
Jul 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
¿Una liga de la Justicia sin Superman, Aquaman ,Batman ?, pues si, acá se junta aun grupo de personajes de segunda linea y nos cuentan una...mmm ¿como decirlo?, no es una historia, es una sucesión de eventos que intentan ser una historia pero se quedan a medio camino, pero la verdad no importa, el trabajo de los autores es encomiable, te arrancan mas de una sonrisa al ver a este grupo de serie b intentando miserablemente ser un grupo clase A y fallando miserablemente en el intento pero ahi estam ...more
Benjamin Featherston
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Peter David's run on X-Factor, this irreverent take on the Justice League's B-listers will hit many of the same notes. A dysfunctional team unites under Maxwell Lord to form a small-time superhero business, clashing with neighbors and cosmic overlords alike. The miniseries is driven by humor and dialogue rather than a complex story, and for the the clash of big personalities leads to an enjoyable if overly quippy detour from the usual superhero fare.
Steve
Nov 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Adding Mary Marvel - genius.

Enjoyable stuff as always from this team. More so than previous volumes of the JLA / JLE involving this mob, a bit of wider knowledge about the DC Universe and the role of these guys in it is useful, but not necessary.

If you are looking for gritty dark tales of vengeance and redemption look elsewhere. If you want amusing stories with great dialogue and real characters - try this.
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de la vieja escuela y novatos en busca de reírse.
Recommended to Feather by: Sus autores.
Este tomo es un claro homenaje a la Liga de los 80s y se nota que es a aquellos fans a quien busca complacer. Yo leí muy poco de dicho comic, pero aun así me divertí muchísimo con esta "continuación". Diálogos hilarantes, dibujos hiperexpresivos, historia entretenida y un montón de alicientes más convierten este comic pseudo-superheróico en algo muy recomendable para todos los habituados al lenguaje cómic. Cuando lo relea, seguro se gane una reseña más elaborada.
Ronald
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Oh dear. Sometimes Superheros get no respect, no respect at all. This kind of make the heros funny stupid funny is why I stopped reading comics back in the day. Making good funny well written silly super hero stories on purpose. Now that takes skill. These stories collected here are good and funny. Good stuff.
Jim
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
remember when mary marvel wasn't portrayed as a slut? these are the last stories that showed her as a hero. giffen sneaks in a lot character development, moving the story along w/the jokes. the martian manhunter's love of oreo's is remembered and batman makes jokes. read this to see what dc was like before they recreated themselves as an image comics knock off.
Emily Damon
Nov 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wasn't fond of the representation of women in this book. The art was good though... Some of the characters where not in character at all, particularly Batman. Booster gold and Blue Beetle's bickering became grating and tedious. I also feel booster was really dumbed down in this book. I got so close to the end but I couldn't deal with reading this any longer.
Mike
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Pretty good, keeping in mind that this is a tribute/revisit of the 80's Justice League International teaming, full of second-string heroes and also-ran villains, low humor and LOTS of verbiage. The high point is when Mary Marvel and Captain Atom, both under mind-control, battle to the death in a gladiatorial webcast. Who-hoo.
Jota Houses
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
En dos palabras Im Presionante: Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Maxwell Lord, Manga Kahn (Kahhhhnnnn) y L_Ron vuelven de los 80 para recordarnos la mejor etapa de la Liga de la Justicia, cuando parecían un capítulo de Friends.
(Ah y puede que Batman haga un chiste)
Jdetrick
Yes, some of the jokes are a little stale and the characterizations a little off, but the Kevin Maguire art is gorgeous and there's enough here to enjoy. Plus, with the unrelenting grimification of the DCU, it's just nice to have something a little silly to enjoy.
Nerea Ferrez
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Increíblemente divertida. Una forma de ver a los superhéroes desde un punto de vista humorístico y más cercano a la realidad (achaques, problemas maritales, negocios reprobables... y un jefe un tanto desastre).
Dante
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is so hilarious. Every time I just need a laugh, I pick this book up. The relationship between the characters is very British in it's humor. Wonderfully written and wonderfully illustrated.
Kevin Borchardt
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The band is back together (and I'm not just talking Blue & Gold). The creative team from Justice League International brings back the magic
Trece
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Agil y expresiva, la mejor sitcom de superheroes y punto.
ems
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Lots of meta & jokey self-referential-ness. (Just the way I like it). Batman, who comes in toward the end, has some of the best lines.
Andy Connell
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
More super(buddies) fun to be had.
Curt
Aug 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
A joke not worth reading
Just A. Bean
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Probably in the line of problematic faves, but no matter how many times I read this, it still makes me laugh.
K.
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved it when I first read it, I still love it every time I reread it even if it is tinged with a bit of sadness for what my favorite characters have gone through since then.
Didi
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Witty and funny, yet not something I'll re-read anytime soon.
Adam
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This brings the funny.
Gary Lee
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Light, breezy, fun -- there are worse things for a superhero book to be.
There wasn't much substance here, but there was Booster Gold...so I'm happy.
Stephen
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The guys still got it. The lighthearted version from the 80s can still make you laugh and the art is still amazing.
Juan Jose
Excellent and extremely funny comeback to this concept.
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Booster Gold, Vol. 1: 52 Pick-Up
  • Showcase Presents: Booster Gold, Vol. 1
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 1: Teenage Revolution
  • Secret Six, Vol. 2: Depths
  • The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
  • Justice League: Rise and Fall
  • JSA: The Liberty Files (Elseworlds)
  • JLA: Liberty and Justice
  • Plastic Man, Vol. 1: On the Lam!
  • The Flash: Emergency Stop
  • War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath
Keith Ian Giffen is an American comic book illustrator and writer. He is possibly best-known for his long runs illustrating, and later writing the Legion of Super-Heroes title in the 1980s and 1990s. He also created the alien mercenary character Lobo (with Roger Slifer), and the irreverent "want-to-be" hero, Ambush Bug. Giffen is known for having an unorthodox writing style, often using characters ...more
More about Keith Giffen...

Justice League (1 - 10 of 123 books)
  • Justice League of America Archives, Vol. 1