Start by marking “Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork” as Want to Read:

This clever book teaches artists the unique skill of drawing perspective for spectacular landscapes, fantastic interiors, and other wildly animated backgrounds to fit comic-strip panels.
Published October 1st 1997 by Watson-Guptill

To ask other readers questions about Perspective! for Comic Book Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perspective! for Comic Book Artists

Anelis
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, how-to, comics, reviewed
I've been trying to finish this one for more than a decade but wasn't motivated enough 'till now.

Great lessons in perspective, with great examples, easy to understand, exhaustingly so. Perfect for younger readers also.

The characters are a bit boring, and as a comic it's stiff. The perspectives are breathtaking and the teaching is superb but it lack the wonderful flow the McCloud books have.

Still it's an awesome addition to have to your library and incredibly useful.
Jean-Paul
Apr 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Borrowed this book from my friend at 6 months ago and have just gotten around to finishing it. He'll be happy to have it back although it is a little worn because my cat decided to be a book critic as well...

Presented in the same graphic narrative style as Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics Etc. by Scott McCloud this art book uses the comic book medium to give instruction and considering that the audience for a work like this is obviously comic book fans, it's a good narrative choice. I'm
মীর নাভেদ
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is how a text book should be: informative, descriptive, illustrative and interactive. The text should be a reference book for Computer Graphics course too: it will easily smoothen the concept of vanishing point, horizon, cinvergence, hidden surface, one/two/three point perspectives etc. The writer opens the world of persepective in his own comic-story telling way and gradually develops our understanding of it through his illustrative dialogue with Mugg, an imaginative painter itself. What a ...more
Donny Yi George
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty good explanation of perspective. Some of the demos were confusing and could have been explained better. And beyond 1 point perspective, the book is less practical.
بيان
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very useful book!
Kk
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
This book is better than a lot of books on perspective. It's a comic so it teaches things visually which was helpful. That being said there was still a whole bunch that just went over my head, especially in the later chapters. Maybe perspective is just hard.
Chip'sBookBinge
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I only heard about this book from reading Making Comics by Scott McCloud. If it weren't for him, I'd never have given this book a look. It's a very valuable and entertaining way of looking at the complexities of Perspective. The book itself is presented exactly like like that of Scott's books: Understanding Comics, Making Comics, etc.... It's all done in comic book form.

The things you learn inside this book are 1-Point, 2-Point and 3-Point Perspective as well as Circles and Human figures. David
Johnny Atomic
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
In this entertaining and incredibly informative book, David takes his empty headed friend Mugg on a trip through the (comically questionable) history and application of perspective. Even though his book carries the power of a high level college course, Mr. Chelsea tames the beast of perspective by actually making the entire book a paneled story, just like a graphic novel.

As the story progresses he moves us from the remedial to the practical and finally leaves us standing on the pinnacle of techn
Max
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better books out there on how to render perspective. David Chelsea shows Mug how to draw perspective and explains it through comic book form, much in the tradition of Scott McCloud's treatises on comics.

It breaks down everything in to simple language and exercises that are illustrated in its comic panels. Chelsea even goes on to point out facts about perspective that other books get wrong.

Seriously, if you draw comics, this is THE book for learning perspective. In fact, even if you do
Annetta Brisby
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book, after becoming dismayed with other art learning resources that I was not yet ready for, is pretty much what got me into practicing drawing 8 months ago. It was simple for me to draw examples from the book or make up my own given its instructions. Now I draw every day, always with a respect for principles of perspective, which drive the portrayal of every shape.

(Note: Some of the principles taught in the book were too advanced for me, and it was totally still fine and informative even
Daniel
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This book's format makes perspective drawing so much more accessible than it might otherwise be. Chelsea uses the medium of comics to its full potential: the visual format allows for plenty of examples, so that both the concepts of binocular vision and the task of translating them into drawing are covered very well. The dialog allows for tracing all the thought processes involved. And it's fun and engaging.

It also lives up to repeat readings as refresher courses, or shelfside access when you wan
Seamus
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pretty amazing book, goes well beyond most tutorials found in other books. Most impressively, although he does not actually cover curvilinear perspective in this book, he steps up a foundational knowledge for learning it by debunking common myths about parallel lines and the horizon when drawing conic sections. If that made no sense, just know that if you ever want to do really wild perspective drawings (like the Earth from an airplane or the ceiling and floor of a room in the same picture), you ...more
Jer
Jun 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Drawing in perspective seemed simple enough to me. Drawing lines to the vanishing points and then constructing vertical lines from point to point... and... uuh... wait, you mean I can take a floor plan and accurately draw it out in 3D perspective?

This book answered a few questions I had and then gave me more answers to questions I hadn't even thought of asking. The best part is, it's all in comic book format, inspired by Scott McCloud's books. What better way to learn a visual craft?

I'll be re-r
Erik Niells
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Illustrators
Specialized, but if you are interested in learning artistic perspective, start here. The book is done in comics form, much like Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics. The visual presentation makes the lessons very accessible, though at the end your head will be pounding looking at some of the bizarre perspective grids Chelsea throws at you. Still, I've never found a more approachable book on the subject. Just don't peek to the end, lest you fear to read the beginning.
Eric
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: aspiring artists (comic or otherwise)
Recommended to Eric by: Scott McCloud
Shelves: comics, art
This book seems like it's going to be invaluable to me as I work on getting my drawing chops back. It is easy to understand, and gives practical examples of the techniques and concepts presented.

The only gripe I had was that the sections on multi-point perspective, and floor plans, could have been easier to understand. To be fair, they are not simple concepts. I think that some practice and re-reading will clear up my remaining confusion.
Amanda Erickson
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone who knows nothing about perspective
It was okay. The thing is, I already knew pretty much all of it from drawing classes.

If you know nothing about perspective then it might be a good place to start.

For me, I think it was a good refresher "course," but even then it was slow going. I skipped quite a few pages in the beginning just because it was so elementary.
Cherish
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was a great book. It was really cool to be reminded about things that I learnt at uni. The were alot of humor elements as well as hidden truths on perspective and that made me excited to turn the page. I hope I can use what I've learnt in my drawings as well as my comic work! THANK YOU DAVID CHELSEA!!!
Bill Morse
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I regard this as the best book on perspective, PERIOD! While there are probably a few better ones out there they are all dry text books. Chelsea's book walks you through all of the minutia giving you a full education. While it is marketed for comics in particular it should be the reference of choice for ALL artists.
LemontreeLime
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
This valiantly attempts to teach the unteachable perspective visually. I may almost have it...but will probably have to reread it a few more times before the secret of perspective sinks in. A good choice to try if you are also having difficulty!
Brenda
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent resource written in a fun, approachable way. This book makes me feel confident to tackle my fear and loathing of perspective. Loved it so much, I bought a copy to turn to whenever I need a little refresher.
Steve
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really like his wacky, light-hearted approach. This would've gotten 4 but it's got a 5 for the MASSIVE amount of references in it. Breaks down pretty much every basic technique and builds into deliciousness. :)
Sean Marney
Jul 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I guess this is as exciting as perspective gets.
Brian O'daniel
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining as well as informative. Helps to bring alive what can be a somewhat technical and dry subject. Does for perspective what Scott McCloud did for, well, "Understanding Comics."
Brad
Quite nicely done. There are better books on perspective out there, but none quite as focused as this one.
Geoff Sebesta
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the few truly indispensable artist reference books. Cutesy writing does not undermine solid treatment of essential information. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Kris L
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very entertaining (it's a comic book!) and informative book. Explains both fundamental and more advanced concepts surprisingly well. Highly recommended.
Tom Chan

• Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery: Solutions for Drawing the Clothed Figure
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
  • Successful Drawing
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures