Start by marking “Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women” as Want to Read:
Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women

Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women (Women of Wonder)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  216 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
'Women are writing many of the things male sf writers thought could never be written; they are making us examine tenets and shibboleths we thought were immutable. The mightily thewed warrior trip is one of these. People like Ursula Le Guin, Joanna Russ, Kate Wilhelm ... are making that seem hideously ridiculous' - Harlan Ellison

In Women of Wonder, Pamela Sargent has assemb
Published July 27th 1978 by Penguin Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Women of Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of Wonder

Erik Graff
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I was lucky to get into science fiction early, substantially through the excellent collections assembled by Judith Merril. Women in the field were rare then. In grade school at the time, I didn't give it a thought. She was my favorite anthologist at the time. The fact that almost all the sf writers I read outside of her publications were guys didn't strike me as at all peculiar.

Then came the late sixties and high school and a whole bunch of women suddenly appeared in the bookstores and dimestore
Beatlezu
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo que más rescato de esta antología es la introducción. "Mujeres en la Ciencia Ficción". Me resulta tan apasionada y conocedora. incluso diría que queda chico, tengo la impresión de que Pamela Sargent podría explayarse más e incluso publicar un libro entero dedicado a ella. Motivo para una tesis quizás. Los relatos que incluyen son variados sin relación entre sí. Plumas independientes. Tengo mis favoritos como "La nave que cantaba" el poema "La niña sueña". Y algunos que no logro, todavía enten ...more
M—
Crap. Even with the list of prestigious writers collected here, do not waste your time with this collection.

Most of the stories contained in this collection were new to me, and apparently to be respected as a feminist writer in the seventies was to spend your time writing really stupid stories of despair and futility and dwelling on women's natural nobility being crushed.

Do not bother reading:
The Child Dreams (1975) by Sonya Dorman | A poem. Gaah. There are three anthologies of Women of Wonder s
Carbaes
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cifi, relatos, 2017, leoautoras
La reseña del prólogo de Pamela Sargent ya la tenéis en Fábulas estelares y espero reseñar pronto los cinco relatos que más me han gustado.
Cathurya los ha reseñado todos, por si os interesa.
Jan Priddy
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this collection for introducing me to a number of wonderful writers.
Pippi Bluestocking
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, gender-lit
This is a collection worth reading - however, I warn you that it is terribly outdated. It was published in the '70s but the stories date since the '40s. While there are fine SF stories back in their golden age, the way authors treated certain themes might make one cringe today - and this includes women authors too.

However, when viewed as a whole, every story in this collection touches on a range of aspects of women's lives, with most prominent the way women's bodies are policed by society.

Read i
Alexa
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fab-13
An engaging collection of short stories, with an introduction worthy of reading all by itself. Many of the stories are rather grim and need to be taken in small bites. There were two variations on the theme of motherhood that I enjoyed. The two pieces of genius were Ursula K. Le Guin’s “Vaster Than Empires and More Slow,” and Vonda N. McIntyre’s “Of Mist, and Grass, and Sand,” which (I believe) later became the novel Dreamsnake.
Quinn
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-booklist
A neat collection of short stories. Not all were enjoyable - in fact, I was bored with over half of them - and not all really offer much in regards to 'Women studies'. The only stories I enjoyed are ones that all deserve five-star ratings: "Contagion" was a masterpiece, "The Ship Who Sang" which was equally as epic, "Of Mist, and Grass, and Sand", and "Vaster Than Empires, and More Slow". The rest were, to be honest, boring and tedious in that they were capable of so much more, but still enjoyab ...more
Melinda
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
A fabulous collection of classic SciFi short stories containing feminist themes which enhance the individual stories.

New to the SciFi genre I couldn't put this collection of shorts down. Given the classic nature, these stories seem ageless. Great writing, huge fan of the feminist theme and it was great exposure to various authors. Variety was appreciated, definitely looking to exploring more of the writings from the authors featured.
Bookshark
This is a hard book to rate, because even though some of the stories are great, several of them are not very good or are not science fiction.

The best of the actual sci-fi stories:
- Contagion, by Katherine MacLean
- The Ship Who Sang, by Anne McCaffrey
- Baby, You Were Great, by Kate Wilhelm
- Vaster Than Empires and More Slow, by Ursula K. LeGuin
Brandon
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
The book contains 12 stories. I would say I liked, or really liked 8 of them. I few I didn't enjoy that much but they certainly weren't bad. There was one that was absolutely horrible though and I really don't even know what it was doing in the book. Besides that one anomaly (The Food Farm) I thought this book was well worth reading!
Lara
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A collection of stories which, not only through their explicit themes of exploration and empathy, but also in their pairing of boldness and sensitivity, feel current, even timeless. A book that triggered a reading binge when it was starting to wane, I'm finally reading for curiosity and discovery again.
Kristina
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi literature, short stories, feminist literature
This collection reminded me why I love science fiction! These are disturbing, thought-provoking and heart-wrenching stories representing sci-fi at its best. The introduction is a little dated when read today but it provides interesting insight into the world with which these authors had to contend.
CKE387
Here are the stories that I liked from the collection:

That Only a Mother by Judith Merrill
Contagion by Katherine MacLean
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
The Food Farm by Kit Reed
and Of Mist, and Grass, and Sand by Vonda N. McIntyre
Ideath
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories are so highly anthologized i kinda sighed when i ran across them, but re-read 'em because they're still good. This was a gift from Megan, who spotted it in the goodwill books section and wanted to feed my ladies of sci fi binge.
Ian
Jun 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
reviewed on SF Mistressworks: http://sfmistressworks.wordpress.com/...
Lauren
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stories but most are a bit dystopian.
Ben Aaronovitch
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f
This was an eye-opener when I read it back when I was young and a rode a T-rex to school.
Wile
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Fireflood and Other Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of SF Stories by Women
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
Pamela Sargent has won the Nebula Award, the Locus Award, and has been a finalist for the Hugo Award, the Theodore Sturgeon Memorial Award, and the Sidewise Award for alternate history. In 2012, she was honored with the Pilgrim Award by the Science Fiction Research Association for lifetime achievement in science fiction scholarship. She is the author of the novels Cloned Lives, The Sudden Star, Wa ...more
More about Pamela Sargent...

Women of Wonder (5 books)
  • The New Women of Wonder
  • Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • More Women of Wonder: Science Fiction Novelettes by Women About Women