Start by marking “Make Your Mark” as Want to Read:
Make Your Mark

Make Your Mark

(99u #3)

Finally, a business book for makers, not managers.

Are you ready to "make a dent in the universe"? As a creative, you no longer have to take a backseat. In fact, stepping up and embracing entrepreneurship is the fastest route to impact. But where do you start? And what sets the businesses that succeed apart?

To find out, we asked the bright minds behind companies like Google
Published November 18th 2014 by Amazon Publishing (first published September 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Mark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Your Mark

Start your review of Make Your Mark
John Stepper
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot - and got inspired by - each of the 3 books in this series. Even if you don't love every essay of the many in each book, you're sure to find several that can help you. ...more
Ana Carolina Lemmens
Third book of the 99u series.
Again some great insights! I especially enjoyed the second half of the book: ‘Serving your customers’ and ‘Leading your team’ Had not read much on these subjects before.
Ayesha Ratnayake
An okay, mostly unmemorable guide to entrepreneurship as a creative person.
Nicole
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish there was more original content. It felt exactly as it was - a physically printed version of articles from 99U.com.
Charles Mcdonald
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Good business book.
Janna Brancolini
"Make Your Mark" is by far the weakest in 99u's three-book series of how-to guides for building a productive creative career. Published in 2014, the book does not age well, as many of the businesses held up as paradigms of "purpose" have gone on to wreak havoc on communities (AirBnb), workers' rights (Amazon and Arianna Huffington brands), and even democracy (Facebook). A surprising number of chapters seemed to boil down to "act and think like a human being" instead of taking your customers for ...more
Arnied
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lot of what you've heard before but still great stuff. And it is a pretty easy read with lots of relevant examples. Some fun facts too.. like Alexander Bell wanted everyone to say the word Ahoy as a greeting on his invention. His friend, Thomas Edison coined the word -- Hello -- instead. This book is really for people who want to make something but can't quite get there. It's inspirational with some hints at what to do and what not to do. It isn't detailed though. In a nutshell, start ...more
Warren Berger
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great handbook for creative entrepreneurs looking for insights from a wide range of successful entrepreneurs and writers.
Mike Hales
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Golden nuggets

Business and management books are tricky things. Too specific and they're easily dismissed. Too broad and they lack meaning. The best books give you what I call golden nuggets, rich enough to be valuable but small enough to be manageable. The joy of this book is the diversity of voices and the multitude of nuggets, little highlights to come back to that stimulate the idea to get you moving forwards. A quick and valuable read regardless of whether you're a leader or business owner
Keshav Kumar
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book not just for the creative people but for people who are entrepreneurs or running their own businesses. It will give you a bit of insight into some of the great brands and what they are doing right. It won't give you the whole picture of how things are being done, just giving you a glimpse that is why I didn't give it 5 stars. It feels incomplete and you will long to get into more depth of the topics that it has covered. I ended up doing a bit of a case study on some of the br ...more
Jason
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring & practical

Confirms & articulates many thoughts I had about innovative business models from authorities on the matter, even a nuclear submarine captain thrown in the mix. Great for creative types at any stage of developing a business or nonprofit organization.

Being part of a management team for a non profit NGO this book has given me inspiration to endure and applicable material that will surely breathe new life to our organization.
Ardavan Mir
A collection of inspiring short articles and interviews from leading enterprouneors and innovators from a diverse range of disciplines. The book covers all aspects of business from ideas to building products and services and some light touches on team cultures and leadership.

IMO, this collection helps to exercise your business intuition by learning about the core rules you must consider for having a business with impact. It's also interesting to find common grounds from experts pov.
Puty
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Just like the other books on the series, it can be looked from different points of views: a) it's so good because it's like 'creme de la creme' advices from the best people from creative business, or b) because it's the 'creme de la creme' so all of the writings may feel short and shallow. They are too short they almost look like snackable contents with short explanations by 'so called Instagram motivators'.

Personally it's a bit of both for me, but 4 stars anyway!
Nate Solberg
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book. As a curated collection of essays from business and creative leaders It hit all the right notes for me. There were a number of good lessons I will take to my role as a leader and manager at my company. I thought the story of the caption of the nuclear submarine USS Santa Fe was especially pertinent to my experience, as the empowerment of team members is the real path to better teams.
Everlecia J.
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What still rings for me is the piece for Seth Godin. Basically saying that the world is never “ready” for new ideas, we are never ready to put them out at the right time. It’s perfect timing as I work on my latest patent. #2. And I’m reminded that you just have to do.

Also this: when launching new products show users what they can do rather then telling them.
alex rodríguez santibáñez
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Food for thought.

This is a quick guide to creatives looking to get into the adventure of building a business, but this is also great for people who are managers who want to get inspired in a creative way.
Sylvia Swann-Levkoff
I got more out of this little book than I ever dreamed possible. Bravo 99U and Jocelyn K. Glei! Reading Manage Your Day-to-Day next,and I can’t wait. Really want to attend your next conference in NYC.
Tugrul Yuksel
99u series are sorta okay, although they consist of blog-article-level texts each chapter.

This one by far is the fluffiest in terms of content quality.

For example: responsive organizations vs legacy organizations chapter, it feels like a school essay with liminal research.
Jinal Shah (If I Were Marketing)
The book was super generic and the information given was common knowledge. Nothing new, nothing different. Very boring. Felt like it was compiled from a dozen existing and old marketing and entrepreneurship books. Not at all worth spending on.
Rob
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some great food for thought

Excellent read for those who just started mulling over starting a business or introducing a product. You'll have to assign yourself some homework, if you want to figure out how to apply a lot of this, but it'll be well worth it.
Naved
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
its a good little book, filled with ideas and call to actions, Easy to read and easy to carry especially on our travels, i would recommend this book to anyone who works for himself or is thinking to start a business.
Jason Kiever
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Inspiring

Chalked full of stories of some of the leaders and employees of great companies. This book will inspire you to look at your life and business through a different lens. Definitely adds perspective by reading about lessons learned by innovative people.
Sindiwe James
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Practical Advice

I started reading this book and was immediately impressed. The businesses highlighted gave practical and timely advice of actionable steps that can be taken no matter the stage of your business. It was a quick read but quite impactful. I would recommend it to entrepreneurs and those thinking of starting a business.
ChuyCepeda
Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Almost like a reference book

This book is a compilation of the key reminders for every startup situation. It brings authors, experiences and advices to the daily life of a startup entrepreneur
Ramonhasbun
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great short stories and tips for creative professionals and entrepreneurs.
Veejey Kapse
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goog content

This book helps in understanding few basic do's and don't of building a good orga. nisations this is really good
Daniel
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great list of tips and philosophies to do business the right way. Cool stuff!
John Andrews
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
good anecdotal stories, kept my interest and I gained a nugget or two, which is all you can ask out of a book.
Noemi
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful. There was some new information and things that I haven't considered. ...more
Monika Venckauskaite
A good collection of various leadership principles, built on the experience of successful creatives, entrepreneurs and managers.

• Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals
  • Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine
  • Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • The Art of Mental Training - A Guide to Performance Excellence
  • Words That Change Minds: The 14 Patterns for Mastering the Language of Influence
  • The Strategy Book
  • The Power of Discipline: How to Use Self Control and Mental Toughness to Achieve Your Goals
  • Get It Done: The 21-Day Mind Hack System to Double Your Productivity and Finish What You Start
  • James Madison: A Life From Beginning to End
  • Matthew for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-15
  • Three Past Midnight: The Library Policeman
  • The Code. The Evaluation. The Protocols: Striving to Become an Eminently Qualified Human
  • Thomas Jefferson: A Life From Beginning to End (One Hour History US Presidents Book 4)
  • How To Win The Lottery With The Law Of Attraction: Four Lottery Winners Share Their Manifestation Techniques (Manifest Your Millions! Book 2)
  • Taming the Tiger Within: Meditations on Transforming Difficult Emotions
  • The Heart of Understanding: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra
  • The 10 Pillars of Wealth: Mind-Sets of the World's Richest People
  • Deep Dive
Jocelyn K. Glei is a writer who's obsessed with how we can find more creativity and meaning in our daily work. Her latest book, Unsubscribe, is a modern guide to killing email anxiety, avoiding distraction, and getting real work done. Her previous works include Manage Your Day-to-Day, Maximize Your Potential, and Make Your Mark, which offer pragmatic, actionable advice for creatives on managing th ...more

99u (3 books)
  • Manage Your Day-to-Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind
  • Maximize Your Potential: Grow Your Expertise, Take Bold Risks  Build an Incredible Career

News & Interviews

“personal purpose, start with these questions: How will the world be better off thanks to you having been on this earth? What are your unique gifts and superpowers? Who have you been when you’ve been at your best? Who must you fearlessly become? At the intersection of these four questions lies your personal purpose.” 5 likes
“Being able to see the world in a fresh way is the essence of being an entrepreneur. You have an idea about the way the world ought to be. You have a theory about why and how you are going to connect the dots.” 2 likes