Start by marking “Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires: An Attainable Utopia” as Want to Read:
Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires: An Attainable Utopia

Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires: An Attainable Utopia

Octavio Paz: "If you love art, do something, Fantomas!"Fantomas: "I will, you can depend on it."

First published in Spanish in 1975 and previously untranslated, "Fantomas versus the Multinational Vampires" is Julio Cortazar's genre-jumping mash-up of his participation in the Second Russell Tribunal on human rights abuses in Latin America and his cameo appearance in issue nu
Published August 1st 2014 by Semiotext(e) (first published June 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fantomas Versus the Multinational Vampires

Mike Puma
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: NOT Marco Rubio

Briefly: For an intelligent review, see Jeremy’s here. A much more brief review may be found here (view spoiler). (I’m gonna try to do this in a single sentence) In a hybrid graphic novel/novella/history primer, Cortázar presents a story (of a once, and perhaps, still) popular Mexican superhero, Fantomas, known for his appearance in comics which include

Teresa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-belgica, 3e
Nesta história — misto de conto e banda desenhada, escrita de forma despretensiosa e divertida — O narrador, de regresso a casa, após uma reunião do Tribunal Russell II (*), ao ter conhecimento de incêndios em várias bibliotecas de todo o mundo, que visam destruir a Literatura, apela ao super-herói Fantomas para desvendar a origem dos atentados.

(*) O Tribunal Russell I foi um evento criado, em 1966, por iniciativa de Bertrand Russell para investigar os crimes cometidos pelos norte-americanos no
Jeff Jackson
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cortazar
Part repurposing of a superhero comic, part political polemic, and part melancholy whatsit - I'm thrilled this rare Cortazar title has finally been translated into English. It goes down easy, but it's probably best appreciated by Cortazar completists. And why wouldn't you want to become a Cortazar completist?!
jeremy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, translation
"what are books compared to those who read them, julio? what are whole libraries worth if they're only available to a few? this is a trap for us intellectuals, too. we get more upset about the loss of a single book than about hunger in ethiopia - it's logical and understandable and monstrous at the same time."
in the argentine master's fantomas versus the multinational vampires: an attainable utopia (fantomas contra los vampiros multinacionales), literary superfriends (cortázar, sontag, paz, an
Oriana
Sep 15, 2014 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Oriana by: Jimmy
WHAT HOLY SHIT OMG
Tosh
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Julio Cortåzar's great take on world leftist concerns in 1975 (that still exist) and having a figure like Fantomas, fighting for the left. Of course, Fantomas is just one man, and he is not even sure who the enemy is. Nevertheless this sort-of-graphic novel is a superb entertainment, that actually has traces of sadness. What's sad is the almost impossible means of fighting against multinational companies (vampires), even if you do have a super-hero on your side. Very witty, and a fascinating doc ...more
Jimmy
Imagine you are a "Great Argentine Writer, Contemporary" and you've just branched outside of literature into the real world of effects by attending the Second Russell Tribunal in Brussells. The purpose of the tribunal is to investigate human rights violations in Latin America. You're a bit depressed after hearing all the testimony, and you're doubly depressed because the conclusions of the Tribunal are purely symbolic and will not likely lead to any real changes. On top of that, most people will ...more
João Moura
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Capitalismo, conspirações, realidade, escritores, super heróis, povo, empresas, organizações internacionais...tudo se mistura em mais um exercício criativo exemplar de Julio Cortázar, desta feita acompanhado de imagens.
Cody
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Calling something a graphic novel doesn't change anything: it's still a comic book.
Rick Metal
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interessantíssimo trabalho em que Cortázar, inspirado pelo facto de ter sido incluído como personagem numa banda desenhada, cria uma obra formalmente inovadora, descontraída, divertida, mesmo um pouco surrealista, mas abordando grandes e sérios temas. Se a versão da editora Planeta Destino, fonte da portuguesa, estava aparentemente já cheia de erros, a tradução da Teorema é um desastre. Tive de desistir e recorrer a um pdf em espanhol para ler a obra adquadamente. Cortázar não merecia este trata ...more
ZaRi
اشتباه این است که همه چیز عین روز روشن و مثل واقعیت های روزمره جلوی رویمان باشد و با این وجود مطابق معمول همچنان منتظر بمانیم که یک نفر دیگر اولین فریاد را سر بدهد...!
Maria Silva
O protagonista é o narrador. O narrador segue o percurso do narrador da história; por exemplo a observação da cidade e das pessoas sem fazer nada, a troca de conversa com a vendedora de jornais, as pessoas no comboio. No texto o autor Insere banda desenhada o que ajuda a seguir o desaparecimento de 400 livros na biblioteca de Londres.
Entretanto a conversas entre os passageiros decorre paralelamente à história da banda desenhada.
O papel dos fantomas é investigar tudo. Trata-se, então, de uma crí
Charlie Kruse
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really fun. Read some of Cortazar's short stories and they confounded me, not really making me feel good or bad, but like a puzzle that I wanted to figure out that I couldn't. I've also felt that way starting Hopscotch. This text is concise and clear, but does not take itself to seriously, and for a theory geek like me it's funny to see the narrator (a stand in for Cortazar) talk to both serious writers like Susan Sontag and masked marauders like Fantomas. Interspersed with actual comic strips a ...more
Ed Correa
Es quizás la obra política más entretenida que he leído en mucho tiempo. Hay una valentía y una forma única de mencionar nombres y problemas que resulta entretenida. Normalmente una obra con este contenido político podría sonar aburrida, pero Cortázar, en su maravillosa forma de escribir logra mantener la atención del lector durante todo el texto.
Ashleigh
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable experiment in layout and content, though honestly I found it confusing to follow most of the time. I think I need to read more Cortazar and come back to this, or more Latin American authors in general, I've only barely scratched the surface.
Romano
"The good thing about utopias [...] is that they are attainable. You have to get ready to fight, comrade, the dawn still ahead. I'm telling you."
Brontë Christopher
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strange but beautiful book that makes an unforgettable statement about the responsibility of artists to advocate for change.
Guadalupe Campos
Su mayor defecto es que se nota el esfuerzo por ser gracioso, y no le sale. Cosa rarísima con algo de Cortázar.
Donny Forbes
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the English translation, holy weird fucking ride. Read it. Just read it.
paula vergara
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debo decir que encontré este libro divertido, me reí mucho y con un sentido de humor que no había visto antes en Cortázar; El libro ademas se engrandece al conocer que el sentido de hacer este libro fue difundir un tema tan horrible como el atropello de los derechos humanos en Latinoámerica en los 70 y, por lo mismo, Cortazar renunció a los derechos de autor para donarlo a organizaciones que luchaban por el respeto de los DDHH. Recomendable 100%
Clayton
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
¡FANTOMAS VUELVE!

Yes, readers, the masked hero FANTOMAS--pithy playboy genius by day, international crime fighter by night!--has returned for Fantomas contra los vampiros multinacionales his latest adventure, and his most dangerous yet!

We join our hero in a time of trouble: across the shelves of the world, books are disappearing at a frightening rate. Libraries and depositories are engulfed in flames. Authors and journalists are assaulted and tortured if they try to write new books. And yet
Tonymess
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Here is one thing I can assure you of, if it wasn’t for the Best Translated Book Award I would have never in my lifetime have picked up this book, it is quite possible I would never have known of its existence without the award longlist announcement. An overseas publisher, sixty-nine pages of text blended with comic book and pop art is not something I would have been searching for, even if I’d read Julio Cortazar’s works beforehand.

In January 1975 the “Second Russell Tribunal” was held in Brusse
Brooks
First of all, it's gorgeous. Semiotext(e) put out a great physical book that I'm glad I got hold of.

It's short. I read it in one sitting including the appendix and afterword. It has an obvious agenda that seems a little more dated now than when it was originally published in 1975 - which is not to say imperialism and its effects are no longer a thing, just to say that this is a book that is written in response to a very specific moment in time.

Still, this was the first time I read Cortazar and I
Felipe Salazar
Una curiosidad, una rareza del lado más militante de Cortázar. En clave de cuento y cómic, relata la labor del Tribunal Russell II y sus condenas a las dictaduras de los '70. Pese a la ingenuidad política y esa tendencia a convertir todo en "buenos vs malos", me pareció entretenido, bien narrado, con toques de humor y como una buena obra de divulgación para la época. Eso si, para mí los temas tratados son mucho más profundos y se cae en una simplificación y caricaturización excesiva, pero creo q ...more
Benny Morduchowitz
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Fascinating literary construct. The text, comic, and images blend very well to convey Cortazar's message against external meddling in Latin American countries, and the corruption that is propagated by this meddling. Precisely because of that, it doesn't work as a fleshed out narrative for me. It is a vehicle for its messages, and the characters are little more than hastily drawn sketches.

Still a brilliant and stylish quick read, but aside from the scene where the narrator is on the train, its a
Tim
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
"They have a thousand, ten thousand, a hundred thousand names,” said the narrator, “but above all they’re called ITT, they’re called Nixon and Ford, Henry Kissinger or CIA or DIA, they’re called Pinochet or Banzer or López Rega, they’re called General or Colonel or Technocrat or Fleury or Stroessner, they have those special names where every name means thousands of names, the way the word ant means a multitude of ants even though the dictionary defines it in the singular."

Interesting Meta work f
Shreyas
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A really excellent work of meta-something. Meant to be a critique on the role of the US and multinational corporations in propping up the horrific military regimes in Latin America in the 70s.

Cortazar was part of an international tribunal of intellectuals condemning these military juntas. He also made a somewhat random appearance in a Fantomas comic around that time. This book combines these source materials pretty cleverly.
Felix
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es claramente la percepción latinoamericana y europea de las conciencias del bien y del mal, en donde claramente solo se atiende a los resultados y no al problema, siempre hay alguien que estará contra nosotros, pero muchas veces el problema nace desde adentro y esa discusión se evita para resolverla rápidamente con ayuda del maligno mayor.
Doraly Arjona alcocer
Siempre estoy encanta con los libros que nos dan una reflexión acerca de la sociedad, aunque este sea bastante confuso, pues mezclar dos historias en una basada en un cómic, llegan partes de la lectura donde tienes que releer para entender de que habla, pero es tan entretenido, Cortázar te lleva a una lectura rápida y elegante que vale la pena disfrutar.
Kurahuma Yukama
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digo yo , por que no te dan para leer esto en el secundario. Tiene de todo, reflexionws filosoficas , de lenguaje, politicas. Es una historia ficticia con hechos reales, y esta ese juego de metaliteratura que me encanta. por cierto muy Cortazar.

• Varamo
  • Evaristo Carriego
  • Looking at Pictures
  • La Princesse Du Sang
  • La Croisade des Enfants
  • A sus plantas rendido un león
  • Children in Reindeer Woods
  • Spider Eaters
  • Omer Pacha Latas
  • A Dreambook for Our Time (Writers from the Other Europe)
Julio Cortázar, born Julio Florencio Cortázar Descotte, was an Argentine author of novels and short stories. He influenced an entire generation of Latin American writers from Mexico to Argentina, and most of his best-known work was written in France, where he established himself in 1951.