Start by marking “Igraine the Brave” as Want to Read:
Igraine the Brave

Igraine the Brave

Everyone at Castle Pimpernel is looking forward to Igraine's birthday. But when her magical present goes wrong and her parents turn themselves into pigs, it's up to Igraine to put things right - even if that means facing giants, three-headed dragons and a particularly Spiky Knight. ...more
Published 2008 by Chicken House (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Igraine the Brave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Igraine the Brave

Start your review of Igraine the Brave
Dayna
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! It was very readable (or, er, listenable), and I enjoyed the fact that the heroine was a female knight! I will definitely be reading this to my daughters when they get to be around 8 or 9. This was my first exposure to Funke, and I think I will go check out some more of her stuff now.

Addendum: To heck with 8 or 9. They are 3.5 and 4.5, and we started reading it together today. The oldest didn't want me to stop :)

Addendum 2: It was a little rough with the 3.5-year-old. I'll be honest;
The Library Lady
Anyone mourning the lack of "beautiful dark notes" obviously doesn't get what this book is--not a dark, meaningful (and perhaps even pretentious, because Funke CAN get pretentious) young adult work, but a fun, rollicking read that kids will ENJOY. And isn't that what matters in a good kids book?

Elizabeth Dragina
I quite enjoyed this little read! It was fast paced and held every little detail about the medieval ages!! Knights in shining armor, dragons, battles, a little magic, and a girl trying to protect her home!
leynes
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The reason why I was able to read this book is kind of a funny one: I was complaining to a friend of mine that I had read all of the TOP 10 most popular books of Cornelia Funke on Goodreads (as one does, right?), except for Igraine Ohnefurcht and that that really bothered me because I hadn't even heard of the book before... as a long-time fan of Funke, I was disappointed in myself. :D Then, out of the blue, my friend asked me if I wanted to have her old copy as she has no sentimental value attac ...more
Sierra
Oct 17, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Cornelia Funke's other books, little girls who want to be knights
I really enjoyed Cornelia Funke's other books, so I was looking forward to sitting down with this one. Unfortunately, while it's generally a fun, non-threateningly-quirky read, it's also one of Ms. Funke's weakest offerings to date. Which is not to say that young girls interested in becoming sword-wielding defenders of righteousness should not totally devour this book; they should, and they should also practice fencing and being chivalrous and generally figuring out how not to be a quiet, demure ...more
A
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A girl who aspires to be a knight must save her magician parents (who have accidentally turned into pigs) and defend her castle against an evil magician.

Appropriate for ages 9-13

This amusing adventure fantasy story is about Igraine, a 12-year-old princess who aspires to be a knight, and who lives with her magician parents in a a castle guarded by roaring stone lions and fire-breathing gargoyles. When her parents accidentally turn themselves into pigs on her birthday and an evil magician is poise
Fi's Journey
"Drat it! Today of all days I have to be wearing skirts!"

I thought this story was delightful. I like Funke's illustrations, too, which are quite whimsical.
Perhaps because I grew up in Germany and read German books, I find this one just as delightful as her other books. My favourite book of her's so far is Dragon Rider and I want to re-read it, so I can read the 2nd in that series. Plus, I would love to get into Inkheart as well.

In Ingraine the Brave (German: Igraine Ohnefurcht) the things
Adrian
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through a list of books that were suggested to counter the fainting princess narrative for girls; in other words, I'm reading some books with active heroines, looking for some to read to Rose Pink (or have her read later) that will hopefully invite her to strength and decision rather than passively waiting for someone to rescue her.

Right. So this is one of those books and I really enjoyed it. Igraine faces fear and does what's necessary to save her parents and home. At the sam
Tiffany
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Igraine is a twelve year old girl who longs to be a knight and have adventures. But her life is unexciting. Until her birthday, when her parents (magicians) are turned into pigs by accidental magic, and their castle comes under siege by Osmund the Greedy. Igraine must use her wits and chivalrous code to save her parents and the castle, with some help from friends.

We read this book as a family, and my kids (5 & 8) LOVED it. Really loved it. I don't remember the last time they got ready for bed so
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
This was cute, and it does play with certain tropes in fun ways. Were it not so short, I think I would have gotten bored, as I didn't emotionally connect to anyone, but, as it is, it's quick, fun, and quite silly (not an insult). I could see this being a really fun one to read with a younger kid. ...more
babyhippoface
Jan 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd-6th graders, especially fantasy fans
Shelves: fantasy, kids-fiction
Twelve-year-old Igraine’s magician parents have accidentally turned themselves into pigs and will remain powerless until they receive the hairs of a giant to create a reversing spell. Compounding the problem is Osmund the Greedy, who has come to Pimpernel Castle demanding the magical singing books that belong to Igraine’s family. Plucky Igraine, who wants to be a knight, faces danger as she rides alone to the home of a giant, befriends a Sorrowful Knight, fends off Osmund’s soldiers, and more, a ...more
Kati Callais
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Fantasy/Adventure for kids
Maryam Noor
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Before you tell me anything foolish - like " Maryam, this is a kids books. Why are you reviewing a kids book?"- let me tell you that my niece does not like it either. She hates it. She claims that she'd rather eat broccoli then listen to the tale again. I, sadly, have to agree.
Well, uh... um... children hate reading books, Maryam.
The author has written this book specifically for kids. Oh, and it's not like my niece was reading it by her own. Every night I read at least 30 pages to her and ask
Jelka
Oct 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
2.5*

My main problem with this book is that there was never any sense of danger or even tension. Especially the first half felt rushed, the characters never struggle.
The second half was more exiting. I especially enjoyed the character of Albert.

I think overall, the idea of having a young girl wanting to be a knight is good. Igraine is brave but also allowed to make mistakes.

I didn't enjoy that Igraine's mother, Melisande, was often reduced to her beauty, especially since she seemed to be the mor
Erika
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my two boys, ages 6 & 8; we all loved it! Igraine is a wonderful strong girl character with a clear voice and a slightly humorous point of view. She is the practical one in a family of visionary magicians. The villains are not too scary and the dialog is fun to read. Overall, great book!
Alicia King Hatch
Read aloud with my 9yo. Charming, witty, fun characters. My daughter gives it five stars!!
Kayla
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, unpredictable story with a spunky and determined main character- it was a great read aloud! We wish there were more stories about Igraine!
Mandy Burkhart
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read out loud to my girls. Love the stories about damsels who not only rescue themselves, but others, as well- and not just physically rescue, but pull someone back from the brink and back into the light. Those are our kind of girls.
Susan
Nov 02, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Cornelia Funke is an amazing author and the mastermind behind Inkheart but you would never know it from this. While I am very much in favor of her reaching out to a younger set of readers, I feel that she should give her new audience more credit for the sort of content that they want and are ready for. All of the beautiful dark notes that are interwoven in her books for older readers are gone without a trace in this tale of a spunky girl who intends to be a knight. There are a smattering of thin ...more
Jennica
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I think this book is really fun and exciting. It made be in a really good mood when I was bored. Igraine the Brave is really adventurous and has really interesting characters! It also has suspense.
The story is about a girl who lives in a castle with her family. Her parents are both great magicians but unlike her brother, she is interested not being a magician, but to be a knight! Igraine is on an adventure with her new friends to save her castle and prevent Osmund the Greedy to steal her parents
Barb
Apr 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really disliked this book. I know Cornelia Funke is a popular author, I listened to part of the audio book of 'The Thief Lord' with my daughter and I thought that seemed to be well done.

I did not find 'Ingraine the Brave' to be well done at all. I thought the writing was clumsy and awkward, and horrid to read aloud. I found the fantasy portion of the story had no rhyme or reason nor explanation and the characters were flat and one dimensional.

I would not recommend this as a book to read alou
Lacey
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun book written by the same author that wrote Inkheart. It's listed for ages 9 - 12 but I think the younger kids would enjoy it too. It would make a good chapter book for parents to read to kids who are not at that reading level.

The story is about a 12-year-old girl who is the daughter of magicians but wants to grow up to be a knight. A magical mishap occurs and Igraine is put in a position where her knightly skills help save the day. Along her journey she meets a giant, a very sorro
Stephanie Jobe
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I closed the book my first thought was, “Why didn’t this book exist for me as a child?” I would have read this over and over without end. For lovers of Tamora Pierce here is a book for the younger generation. The writing is seamless and simple. Every little girl will sympathize with Igraine and every big girl too. You grin at her quirky family. I personally fell in love with the sorrowful knight. This is an adventure that scoops you up and carries away and afterwards you simply wonder, “Alr ...more
Melinda
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, exciting adventure story of a young girl with tremendous courage. This book combines several fantasy elements that provided a visual treat for my imagination.
Igraine is such a dynamic character - so independent, fearless and loyal and only twelve years of age. She learns well from her actions to which she acted too quickly and attempts to do all possible to save her family's long-held castle. I am eager for my 9 year old daughter to read this book!
Karie
Oct 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only a few chapters into this book, but I'm not sure I'll finish it. It feels like Ms. Funke is writing AT 8-12 year olds, much as C.S. Lewis likes to beat his young readers over the head with moral lessons every chapter or so in the Chronicles of Narnia. Collins' Gregor the Overlander and Tolkien's The Hobbit are much better examples of writing *for* children, instead of writing *at* them. ...more
Kirsten
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Another Funke book, I read it for author advisory and sped through it. In the usual fashion of juvenile literature, the characters were paper thin, the dialogue was lacking in originality, and the plot was idealistic. IGRAINE THE BRAVE is a good read for young girls, perhaps around the second grade level.
Molly
I have given this book and book on tape to a number of families and all of these get responses. This is funny, adventurous, sweet and really kept me reading. A young girl, whose family are all wizards, does not want to follow in their footsteps but wants to be a knight like her grandfather. Her parents turn themselves into pigs and the castle gets attacked who can save them? Grades 3-5
Neo
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
I remember reading this for elementary school. To be honest, that's about all I remembered, so I picked it up and leafed through so I could remember enough to write a review. As a kid, I thought the book was magical, but technically being an adult now, I can say that it's starting to lose its appeal. ...more
Amy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Lynn
Shelves: children-s-books
I like Cornelia Funke so I thought I would try this book out. It is a very sweet story of a young girl who saves teh day. I would suggest it for all the 10 year-old girls out there, and for their parents who want to let there little girls know they can grow up to be knights too!
Jessica
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend the audio book, read by Xanthe Elbrick. I really hope Xanthe continues to read for children's books because her voice range is fabulous. I was disappointed when I finished the book and there was nothing else to listen to in my car. ...more

• Bayou Magic
  • Freaky Fast Frankie Joe
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Cornelia Funke - Spionin Der Kinder
  • Kalle Blomquist (#1-3)
  • Sugarcane Island (Choose Your Own Adventure, #62)
  • For Biddle's Sake (The Princess Tales, #5)
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • Krabat
  • Danger in the Darkest Hour (Magic Tree House Super Edition #1)
  • The Unstoppable Wasp: Built On Hope
  • The Black Book of Secrets
  • Heaven to Betsy / Betsy in Spite of Herself (Betsy-Tacy #5-6)
  • The Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.

News & Interviews