Start by marking “Teaching Kids to Think: Raising Confident, Independent, and Thoughtful Children in an Age of Instant Gratification” as Want to Read:

Why Do Kids These Days Expect Everything to be Given to Them?

Today's kids don't know how to read a map. They can Google the answer to any question at lightning speed. If a teen forgets his homework, a quick call to mom or dad has it hand-delivered in minutes. Fueled by the rapid pace of technology, the Instant Gratification Generation not only expects immediate solutio

Published March 3rd 2015 by Sourcebooks (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Kids to Think, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Kids to Think

Start your review of Teaching Kids to Think: Raising Confident, Independent, and Thoughtful Children in an Age of Instant Gratification
Online Eccentric Librarian
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, non-fiction

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Teaching Kids to Think is an intelligently written answer to the problem of the IGG - Instant Gratification Generation of children. The authors have clearly thought out not only the advice they will give but also the presentation of it; it makes the book easy to use but also reference again as kids age. Most interesting is a quick questionnaire in the beginning; I think many parents will identify with the mistakes the
Tiffany
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: ng-books
Review Also Posted on my blog: http://www.talkwordy2me.blogspot.com

Teaching Kids to Think is an interesting read about the current generation of kids who seem to be used to getting everything instantly. The book is geared toward parents who want their children to grow up and become confident, independent and thoughtful adults in a time where children are used to relying on their parents and the technology around them. The book strives to show parents ways to guide their children to develop the s
Nabeel Hassan
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Teaching kids to think, is a very important skill we need it in this time with this generation how open his eyes with vary fast movement in everything we need to tech our kids to to think in everything, by applying the strategies in this book we can give our kids the initial skill then will use it in future in their life, all what we need as a parents is to think in our thoughts that will effect in all our kids developments, the traps mentioned in this books we can adjust our feeling and thought ...more
Beyond the Pages
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a thoroughly done work, in my opinion. I absolutely loved it. The conversational tone, real life vignettes, and encouraging truths told quite the story. As I read the words of the authors, I could not help but think, " That's me!" or "That sounds like my children." Upon reading, studying through this book, I was educated, convicted and empowered. All I know is that I must have the hard copy of this book.
jbgbookgirl
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for parents and educators, but mostly parents. The advice is practical, current and brilliant. I will be referencing this book time and time again as my children keep growing. It's fantastic.
Sylvia McIvers
Everyone should read this book.

Google is great, and cell phones are great, and instant everything is great, so where's the catch?

Loss of persistence and perseverance.
Not wanting to put time into learning something hard.
Not wanting to fail, and thinking that insta-win is the only non-failing option.
Not learning how to looking for solutions, because there's an app for that.
Not learning self-reliance, because of never taking the first baby-steps in that direction.

OK, so Kids These Days [tm] has a
Lilith Day
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a teacher. I often deal with situations that are uncomfortable. This includes overprotective parents, detached parents, and parents who give the child everything because they are their child. However, when parents do this out of love, it can get in the way of a child's growth and education. This book is a great way to help find balance.

According to this book, many parents who over cannot find a balance in their parenting ways, not only cause problems in the classroom, but they can lead to
Rachel Martin
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a useful and thought provoking read for parents, and teachers too.

Each chapter contains stories or case studies from the authors' years of work in clinical psychology alongside discussion of psychological theories or approaches and specific, practical advice.

Issues covered range from the traps of parenting to anxiety about making choices, not taking responsibility for learning etc. I found the book reinforced many or my own parenting decisions, while also challenging me to examine what I
Gretchen
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, a timely book that can be summed up with the one line: "Step back and let your kid figure it out on their own." It was incredibly repetitive and probably could have been cut in half. I found myself skipping chunks because the age range didn't pertain to my kids. Despite that the authors delve into various situations that parents can apply the advice: school, sports, social interactions. There's nothing new in the book you haven't heard before and it all seems rather like common sense. Y ...more
Laura Lou
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's really scary how addicted our children have become to their phones, tablets and gaming systems to the point that they really don't know how to think and solve simple dilemmas in their every day lives. And, sadly, parents are no better and I'm horrified at how often I see people checking their phones while driving. NOTHING can ever be that important that it can't wait until you get to work, home, or wherever it is you're driving to. I felt better when I realized that I haven't been raising m ...more
Sara Burriesci
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book came out shortly before "How to Raise an Adult," and makes the same major point: ultimately we hamstring our children by not letting them do things for themselves and make their own mistakes. I think that this book, which was written by a practicing child psychologist and a practicing family therapist, offers more practical advice and less navel gazing than "How to Raise an Adult," although I liked that book too. Among the practical tips offered here: make your children wait for things ...more
Jason Keisling
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I saw this near the top of a parenting list on goodreads and it seemed like a perfect book to peruse. Raising confident, independent, thoughtful children? Sounds great.

There is some good information in this book. It can basically be summed up with “step away and let your kids do things on their own.” There you go, I saved you 270 pages. Unfortunately a large portion of this book comes across as a baby boomer complaining about millennials, complete with complaints about participation trophies an
Nilesh  Muley
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Its a fact that we are living in a Instant gratification world & this book comes handy to understand this new fast pace life of ours with point wise ideas on how to identify & avoid these gratification hacks in a very structured manner.
Every chapter ends with three paragraphs of
The Issue, The Trap & The Alternative.

This gives a very clear summary / picture. You will surely find yourself somewhere in the book and it will push you to think aback.

Only one thing which I felt due to which I reduc
Robert Postill
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: got-it, parenting
I read this book hoping for something different than I got but what I got was kind of handy.

This book is really about raising children who correctly judge risk and how you deal with that risk. It's a book that talks about respect and resilience a deal (sometimes in oblique terms) and moves along at a reasonable pace through the various stages of childhood.

You can see the authors and the social situations are American and so I wonder if this book would appeal to say Singaporean or Chinese parent
Alina Tache
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
While the point they make is important, I feel like it could have been expressed more succinctly. I perceived their tone as superior and when they tried to give certain details I realized they are NOT as well-versed in how to approach teens as I would have expected. And they lack detailed knowledge about the tech teens use today, which is a great problem when working with children and teens.

Anyway, the idea is to let your child make mistakes early so the learn to avoid consequences when those c
Cath
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Most of the things in here felt like common sense. Except one. My impatience with my kids- my seemingly unending sense of urgency and wanting to get things done NOW and checked off our to-do list is enabling an instant gratification mindset. Oops.
Breathe. Allow more time for experience and mistakes. Breathe. And repeat again.
Good thing I have a whole whack of mindfulness books on my must read list. ;)
Erin Burnette
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I read this book, hoping it would have some teaching strategies to use in the classroom, but it is geared more for parents. It had some good strategies for helping get your kids to think about their actions and how to break them of the need for instant gratification. The authors detail real scenarios they have encountered and how they helped both the parents and children in those scenarios see a better way of dealing with the situation.
Velayudhan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the message of the book useful. Children need to have opportunities to develop independence, confidence and patience for delayed gratification. The book gives many suggestions and examples on how to do this. Reading the book showed me the traps I had fallen into: situations where I got the job done but losing the opportunity to develop the necessary life skills in my child.
Billie Rossman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned a lot that will be helpful in teaching.

Good book. Helpful ideas. Lot of good tips. I really appreciated the stories at the beginning of each chapter. I also like that it gives the adults Grace to make mistakes.
Michelle
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who has a child(ren) under 18 years of age;and, for anyone who works with children. I made so many notes and learned so much. There are a few things I will be implementing while teaching my class.
Toffee Mama
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a slog to get through. I'm sure that there are parents who need to hear the information, but it seemed really basic and repetitive to me. It pretty much all boiled down to, "Make your kids wait for and earn things for themselves." I expected more.
Sonu
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am not a fan of parenting book. But thay defiantly gives you ideas to improve. This book is mostly about you should not interfere with kids learning, just guide them. I agree with few things not all. But overall was helpful book.
Katie
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book gave some practical examples on how to help your kids. I loved how applicable the book is to all age groups. I will definitely be reading this each year.
Sara
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting look at instant gratification and its impact on kids. Written more for parents than educators.
Rachel
Sep 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
School's "Teen 101" class recommends this book.
Aria
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall a quick and nice read. The author are two Ph.D.s and there are many case studies to share. The authors emphasize a lot while today’s technology enables the kids (and parents) convenient life, it also makes it easy to fall into the trap of ‘instant gratification’. Today people are so used to instant answers by online search, they tend to become irritated easily when the problems become complicated which needs more time and skills to solve and requires critical thinking. The ease of online ...more
Zelina
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, parents, educators
I really enjoyed reading Teaching Kids to Think. The language was very accessible, very natural.I quite enjoyed the tone of it. I caught myself tapping the book on my head in annoyance when I paused and realized "Hey! I do this" or " X does this all the time". Very relatable.

As someone who was born right before this technological generation, I nodded a lot, and felt the difference between me and family members who are of this generation.

As an educator, I find some of the scenarios and suggestio
Joe Rogers
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is just trite bashing of the fabled millenials. Some of whom are in their 30s and yet are being lumped in with 16 year old 'millennials'. While the examples given sound more like dealing with 9 year olds who are essentially spoiled by their parents who simultaneously attempt to live vicariously through them and their busy schedules.
How about just letting your kids play with a ball or a board game rather than technologify their lives so they are over bombarded with information.
I got this boo
Tiffany
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Every parent raising children in this century should read this book! I think of myself as very conscientious in raising children who do not feel or behave entitled but I still saw a bit of myself in some of what they described. It's easy to get caught up in the Instant Gratification Generation thinking. This book was a good reminder about how to raise children who consider others, find their own solutions to problems and are ready to be responsible adults.

It was a bit redundant and I didn't agre
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! As a Professor of 14 years; trying to teach these kids to think, study, plan, and be successful in the Heath Sciences field, I found this book fascinating. It has become exceedingly difficult to engage them, entice them to do well, or to stick with it after one bad grade. They lack the study skills and planning it takes to actually study!

As a parent, this is a MUST READ!! I subtitle it "How to Not Raise a Millennial." I am so over the age of entitlement and lack of planning. My three year

• The Five Love Languages of Children
  • Playful Parenting
  • A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
  • Parenting With Love and Logic
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Memento Mori
  • The Way of the Shepherd: Seven Secrets to Managing Productive People
  • The Mountains Sing
  • Teach Like a Pirate: Increase Student Engagement, Boost Your Creativity, and Transform Your Life as an Educator
  • The Dinosaur Artist: Obsession, Betrayal, and the Quest for Earth's Ultimate Trophy
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5)
  • Gateway to Freedom: The Hidden History of the Underground Railroad
  • Strong As a Mother: How to Stay Healthy, Happy, and (Most Importantly) Sane from Pregnancy to Parenthood: The Only Guide to Taking Care of YOU!
  • T'choupi Se Baigne (French Edition)
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • Panic in Level 4: Cannibals, Killer Viruses, and Other Journeys to the Edge of Science
Dr. Sweetland is a licensed clinical psychologist with more than 20 years of experience specializing in work with children, adolescents and young adults. She is very excited about the release of her new book, Teaching Kids to Think: Raising Confident, Independent, and Thoughtful Children in an Age of Instant Gratification, which has been named one of Publisher's Weekly Select 2015 Parenting Titles ...more

News & Interviews