Start by marking “Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)” as Want to Read:
Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)

Clan Lord: Science Fiction Adventure Short Stories (Life Sticks)

Science Fiction Adventure at the Edge of a Universe at War!
The Life Sticks science fiction adventures bring a completely alien culture, a convincingly original alien race, and an intense series of surprising plot twists to the reader through the eyes of a young adult coming of age at the edge of a Galactic War.

Don’t just join the Clan… OWN the Clan!

The story of Razz t
Published March 6th 2014 by Warhorse

To ask other readers questions about Clan Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clan Lord

Sheila
Long ago I read and enjoyed the science fiction novels of Hal Clement and loved his intricate creation of alien worlds and races. More recently I delighted in the curious creatures of Orson Scott Card’s foreign planets. Joel Babbitt’s Clan Lord offers that same sense of the strange; creatures unlike ourselves, living in cultures unlike our own, interacting differently with land, sea and sky, and thinking convincingly about the paths of their lives.

The writing is smooth and fast-flowing. The worl
Jace Bullough
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My friends, and anyone who enjoys serial sci-fi
Recommended to Jace by: I found it myself
Clan Lord, what an interesting take from the point of view of an alien race. The story was amazing, creative and endearing. With quite a few unexpected plot turns. I wish it wasn't a serial, because now I want to know what happens next. I got a taste of a wonderful new world, presented in a wonderful new and refreshing light, that was cut short. Finally a new story, with new creatures, and a new stage. I didn't have to deal with another repeat of the same thing.
It wasn't all puppies and butter
Terry
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clan Lord - Life Sticks, An interesting, fun twist on alien species stories, told in the voice of the alien...

At only 54 pages long, it contains elements of a much larger novel, with plenty of action, intrigue and betrayals to keep the pace steady.
Even though a novella in the first of a series, author Joel does a great job of laying the foundation for following books. Open-ended, but not disappointing. The reader will find themself hooked, and wanting more.

***The author kindly provided a copy
Shannon Haddock
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The society depicted in this book is fascinating, a far cry from your typical honor based warrior society in sf. The story was also very well written, the plot was enjoyable if a bit predictable, and there were little details of word choice and sentence structure that put me in mind of much older science fiction, like Princess of Mars. Honestly, my only complaint is that the some elements of the plot were predictable enough that I rolled my eyes a little bit, thinking, “c’mon, you couldn’t have ...more
Delta
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I an a little shocked that this is a short story. It felt like the first few chapters of a much larger novel and a great introduction to the world and the creatures that live there. It never felt too forced or too confusing. It could have done with a few more explanations and descriptions of the creatures and customs, but I thought Babbitt did an excellent job in the handful of pages.

I listened to the audiobook, read by the author. I don't believe Babbitt is a professional narrator, but he shou
Sarah Sternby
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little sci fi book that displays a lot of imaginative ideas. It's a short read, but it was perfect for listening on my drives to and from work for the past couple days (I have quite a commute). I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway which included an audio version on a CD and a sweet note from Joel Babbitt on the inside cover. I would definitely recommend the book. It's a great story with an amazing author.
Crystal
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Clan Lord" is very good.

From the description, it definitely sounded interesting. Though beginning the story I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it or not. I did enjoy it. And by the end, I was wishing that it was longer so that I could go on reading immediately.

"Clan Lord" has a fair amount of action. As well as deceit, a few unexpected twists, a bit of a minor romance, and justice for those that I see as the wrongdoers. I'd definitely like to read more.
December
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this book through Goodreads giveaways. I was not overly impressed by it. It is well written but I had trouble getting into the book/identifying with the main character.
I wouldn't tell people not to read it, but I don't believe I will be reading any other books in this series.
Jacob Beam
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very nice little story. It was a very short read and I wish it was longer.
I hope the author continues the story of Razz as it has a great potential to be a wonderful series.
Betsy
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book. It's a short easy read that will leave you wanting more. Joel Babbitt is very creative and talented. I highly recommend this book!
Thistle
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have two different ways of reading. The first is the most commonly used: Reading for enjoyment. Books, blogs, whatever, just reading to read. The second is the kind used when I'm editing something. When a book or story has enough poor wording, typos, and spelling mistakes, I can't help but slip into that second kind of reading. Clan Lord made my hand itch for a red pen.

I had to reread the very first sentence of the book to figure out what the author was trying to say:

We call those who give us
Chris
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads Firstreads Giveaway. Apologies to the author for taking too long.

This little novella caught my attention was the fact that the main character of this sci-fi what-I-presume-to-be-a-serial was the fact that the main character of is that flying ape-man on the cover rather than a human, which I thought was rather interesting.

As this is a short work, my critiques and compliments will be short as well. First, the bad; I would have liked more descriptions of t
Mathew Whitney
I received this book through Goodreads' first reads program. I was initially a little put off by the cover image and the slim-but-oversized format. I don't read a lot of short-story collections, and the last serial I read was Stephen King's The Green Mile (when it was originally published). I believe each book of The Green Mile was also 3-5 times as long as this. However, I took the low number of pages as an added encouragement to get on with reading it.

What I found was a story that was roughly
Severance Biro
I'm quite new to Goodreads, but in the brief time since I started using this site I've already managed to win a book through Goodreads First Reads program! That book is Joel Babbit's "Clan Lord", first episode of his new serial "Life Sticks".
"Clan Lord" is a fast-paced science fiction novella written in the first-person perspective of a young male in a society of warriors. At fifty-four pages long it makes for a quick read, but those relatively few pages are about as action-packed as could be, s
Melissa
Eh.

I've been listening to audiobooks of old sci fi (like, from the 50s and earlier). I recently "read" Tarzan. This... felt a lot like that. Not in terms of specific plot, but in terms of the main character being a Manly Man, whose sole purpose in existence was to be a Manlier Manly Man than all the other Manly Men. Plus, a lot of the simultaneous contempt for "civilization", and fascination with the things "civilization" produces.

It was tolerably well-written and all, it just... didn't really g
Rhayne
Shelves: read-reviewed
This book was short but a decent read. While I liked the entire idea behind the story itself and it was rather unique and a fun read, I think that more description was in order. Some of the creatures mentioned left you wondering what they looked like and there was a lot left a bit too much to the confused imagination. While I would hope for more detail and a bit more length in further books in this series if it is in fact to be one (difficult to tell as it has a rather decent ending but it set a ...more
Anne
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will start by saying I got this book from the giveaways.

While I would probably not normally choose a book of this genre, I did enjoy reading it. The very beginning was a little slow, for me personally, but I still found myself wanting to find out about the characters. Characters are relatable and nicely done. The plot, once set up, is interesting. And I find myself wanting to know what comes next.
Ricki
Babbitt's sci-fi world is well-imagined, even if I could not figure out exactly how the humans got to this planet filled with a flying monkey-like race, and why exact they needed them. Razz is an interesting protagonist, although the title kind of gives away what happens to him in this first installment.
Henry Lazarus
Joel D. Babbitt starts his tale of Razz, a winged, clanless person who is adopted by a Clan Lord (paper from Warhorse) who claims him as his bastard son. The real reason is so that he can take the real son’s place in a duel to the death with another Clan Lord. It’s s short, fun tale that allowed Razz to survive and go on to other adventures.Review published by the Philadelphia Weekly Press
Kimi Court
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, Think this is a great book for YA. The book was easy to understand and follow. I would recommend this book to anyone. I think the series will be a fun one.
Alisha Polley
Shelves: good-book-wins
It was a great concept but I wish there was more details. Not one of my favorites but it wasn't the worst thing I've read lately.
Joel Babbitt
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wade Chandler
Jun 21, 2015
David
Mar 28, 2014
Harley
Apr 25, 2014
Joel Babbitt
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: science-fiction
SB Morales
Mar 19, 2014
David Fox
Mar 19, 2014
Joel Babbitt is a colonel in the U.S. Army and a bishop in his church. He has spent his entire adult life living and teaching principles of leadership and team building in a warrior environment. Joel lives with his wife and 4 children in Virginia.

@AuthorJoel on Twitter

Sign Up to be notified of Future Releases and receive a FREE Short Story!