Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  872 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
And all men kill the thing they love
By all let it be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look.
Some with a flattering word.
The coward does it with a kiss.
The brave man with a sword
--from "The Ballad of Reading Gaol"
Although best known for his sparkling and witty plays, Oscar Wilde also distinguished himself as a prolific poet. From "Ravenna," a prize-winning poem he wrote in
Published August 28th 2003 by Phoenix Press (first published November 30th 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Kimberley doruyter
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it
reading wilde makes you think that even if he were insulting you it would still be poetry.
Sarah AlObaid
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
Oscar Wilde is a phenomenal poet and I. Want. More.
Kimberley doruyter
i like his full stories better the poems don't have any real common theme.
Hayder Hasan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, if my heart must break,
Dear love, for your sake,
It will break in music, I know,
Poets' hearts break so.
But strange that I was not told
That the brain can hold
In a tiny ivory cell
God's heaven and hell.
Jyoti
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book first time I came across Oscar Wilde's poetry. And I just loved it. It is so fresh, remarkable and soothing. I loved "Rose and Rue" and "The Ballad" the most.

"I remember I never could catch you,
For no one could match you,
You had wonderful, luminous, fleet,
Little wings to your feet."

And other one.....

"But strange that I was not told
That the brain can hold
In a tiny ivory cell
God's heaven and hell."

Puri Kencana Putri
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I remember I never could catch you,
For no one could match you,
You had wonderful, luminous, fleet,
Little wings to your feet.

I remember your hair - did I tie it?
For it always ran riot -
Like a tangled sunbeam of gold:
These things are old."

Chris
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

Some beautiful poems that just trip off the tongue. The most famous of all, 'The Ballad of Reading Gaol' is here along with mentions to Keats, Swinburne and other famous people of the day. A great read and very much recommended.
Gemma Innes
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Although I can see objectively why Oscar Wilde's work has stood the test of time I just could not enjoy reading his poetry.

I am new to reading poetry for enjoyment and thought I would start with an author whose prose I enjoyed. Unfortunately I found the gap in experience, life style and age of writing too big to bridge. I could not call to mind the images Wilde had tried to create as I could not understand his wording. Perhaps if I had some guidance in what he had hoped to achieve it could help
Kirsty McCracken
Finally found another poet I get! Even if he mentions lilies more than any other author I've read to date.
Andrea Ika
Publication Date: 1911
Page Count: 98
Rating : 4 stars

Blurb
Selected Poems of Oscar Wilde contains the following seventeen poems The Ballad Of Reading Gaol, Ave Imperatrix, To My Wife - With A Copy Of My Poems, Magdalen Walks, Theocritus - A Villanelle, Greece, Portia, Fabien Dei Franchi, Phedre, Sonnet On Hearing The Dies Irae Sung In The Sistine Chapel, Ave Maria Gratia Plena, Libertatis Sacra Fames, Roses And Rue, From 'Th
Emad Attili
description

“I have made my choice, have lived my poems, and, though youth is gone in wasted days, I have found the lover's crown of myrtle better than the poet's crown of bays.”

Well, that was a nice read.
But I was looking for something more than that!! Anyway, it was fun.

I have to say that I loved Oscar Wilde "the novelist" more than Oscar Wilde "the poet"!!

description

I'd like to quote some of my favorite lines:

“Could the passionate past that is fled
Call back its dead,
Could we live it all over again,
Were it worth
Dalia Fawzy
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من المعروف سلفاً ان اوسكار وايلد له ميول مثلية، و بسبب ميوله دي تم سجنه لمدة سنتين أشغال شاقة، و بعدها تم الافراج عنه، لكن تم نفيه لفرنسا.

القصيدة دي تمت كتابتها في المنفى، لكن استناداً على واقعة حدثت اثناء فتره السجن.

الواقعة قد تبدو عادية، و هي تنفيذ حكم الاعدام في سجين كان ظابط في سلاح الفرسان الملكي، قتل زوجته، لكن اوسكار وايلد استوقفه الحدث، و اثر في ذاكرته لدرجة انه كتب فيه قصيدة طويلة هي القصيدة اللي بيحتوي عليها الكتاب دا، و هي قصيدة "انشودة سجن ريدينج".

القصيدة مكتوبة بأسلوب الرباعيات، الل
Bookish Dervish
Oscar's writing are very familiar to most English-speaking readers. this is specially true for people who have merged in the English literature. Plays and novels written by Wilde are fascinating. "the portrait of Dorian Gray", "The importance of being Earnest" and many more are masterpieces... but when it comes to poetry (sigh).... It is very tiresome for every verse needs a background knowledge on Greek mythology, word roots, words connotations, the geometry of poems....
I tend to think that poe
Patrick Gibson
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I have always prefered Wilde's poems over his prose.
The plays are another thing.
This is just one of edition of many. A good one.
And, since you needed a poety hit today (you did, right?), here is one of his sweetest:

"The oleander on the wall
Grows crimson in the dawning light,
Though the grey shadows of the night
Lie yet on Florence like a pall.

The dew is bright upon the hill,
And bright the blossoms overhead,
But ah! the grasshoppers have fled,
The little Attic song is still.

Only the leaves are gentl
Neha
I loved " The ballad of reading gaol " and " flower of love " the most..

"For he who lives more lives than one more deaths than one must die"

" Had my lips been smitten into music by the kisses that but made them bleed"

"Yet I'm not sorry that I loved you - ah! What else had I a boy to do - for the hungry teeth of time devour , and the silent footed years pursue"

Certainly when I was reading ballad.. I found myself at awkward thoughts about isn't it absurd to like it at all? So I reread it so I can
Krista
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, an admission: I only read this because of the Book Riot Read Harder challenge. I usually avoid poetry because I've yet to find any outside of Shel Silverstein that I enjoy.

This collection of Oscar Wilde's poetry was short and somewhat accessible. I did have some trouble following along when he started making reference to places I had never heard of (but probably should have) and to the gods, goddesses, and mortals caught up in the tales of Greek or Roman mythology. I have rudimentary kno
Esther
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Nice little selection. One of those pocket books. Got this in England for a mere pound. I'm unfamiliar with his poetry. Love the plays, Dorian, Happy Prince etc but didn't know his poems. The poems are arranged chronologically and chart an interesting development. Early ones are a bit sappy, lots of references to fair maidens and other such cliched references. So far so in the closet. Then things perk up with a series of poems about ancient Greeks and strong thrusting soldiers etc. The final poe ...more
Brian
oscar wilde is a brilliant playwright, but his poetry is only okay. there were a select few that i really enjoyed, but the rest were somewhat dry.. this is a nice book to read if you have some spare time--i brought it with me as i was traveling around scandinavia. pleasant read, but nothing spectacular.
Ally
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read, if you are into poetry. These palms are good in rhymes. There specially selected by Oscar Wilde. Some of them are even written by him. You will never get tired of reading these poems. You have the chance up this book and find a nice place to sit because you're not going to want to put it down. That is why I rated it five stars and that's why you should read it.
Lisna Atmadiardjo
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Those who read poems tend to have a softer heart. They said. Cailah
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong Writer, Aged Poetry

I love Oscar Wilde and his general writing style but in more than a few places, these poems struggle to fit the rhythm of the lines in rhyme. To me, this particular collection falls flat.
Merinde
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I'm not sure if I selected the right selection - I read the Gutenberg one. The ballad of Reading Gaol I already knew, so this rating is just for the other poems. I have to say I wasn't very fond of this selection, although I like Wilde a lot.
Amyra
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"With this book I discovered the poetry of Oscar Wilde. To be honest I still prefer his plays yet his poetry is remarkable and it still reflects his beliefs and ideas. Actually two poems in this book("The Ballads of Reading Goal" and "The Flower of Love") made me give it 4stars."
Hayley Shaver
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, poetry
I loved this book of poetry. I read three books of poetry over a few days and this one was definitely the best. If you like poetry, I would recommend this one.
Izzy
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just reminding myself why Oscar Wilde is my favourite poet ever.
Roxie Maria
Not really my cup of tea

Couldn't get into them. Bit old fashion for me compared to what I personally like. Sorry to those who like his works.
貝晨珊
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Oscar Wilde sure was a talented fellow, one shouldn't go looking for romantic, happy poetry in this book ;)
Rachel
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Oh the ballad of Reading goal is heart rending....
Simon Sweetman
Well, that was a flash-back to high school...for both better and worse
Julia
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I do prefer Wilde's other work to his poetry, but this is still great stuff. Oh, Oscar, you fabulous man!
  • Edgar Allan Poe: Selected Poems
  • William Shakespeare: Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • Poems: Three Series, Complete
  • The Poems of Robert Browning
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Collected Plays: Volume 1: A Dance of the Forests; The Swamp Dwellers; The Strong Breed; The Road; The Bacchae of Euripides: 001 (Includes a Dance of ... Breed/the Road/the Bacchae of Euripides)
  • The Book of American Negro Poetry
  • Dream on Monkey Mountain and Other Plays
  • Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  • Collected Poems
  • Keats: poems published in 1820
  • Selected Poems
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...

“But strange that I was not told That the brain can hold In a tiny ivory cell God's heaven and hell.” 3 likes
“In the cave of black Despair: He only looked upon the sun, And drank the morning air.” 2 likes