Start by marking “Peace is an Offering” as Want to Read:
Peace is an Offering

Peace is an Offering

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  333 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
A warm, comforting poem about finding peace in a community of neighbors

Peace is an offering.
A muffin or a peach.
A birthday invitation.
A trip to the beach.

Join this group of neighborhood children as they find love in everyday things—in sunlight shining through the leaves and cookies shared with friends—and learn that peace is all around, if you just look for it. With rhymi
Published March 10th 2015 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Peace is an Offering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace is an Offering

paula
"Peace is holding on to another.
Peace is the words you say to a brother.
'Will you stay with me?
Will you be my friend?
Will you listen to my story
till the very end?'

Peace is a joining, not a pulling apart.
It's the courage to bear a wounded heart.
It's a safe place to live.
It's the freedom from fear."

I saw a huge sign outside Mercy High School here in Baltimore yesterday that said "I promise to listen to your story" with the hashtag ONEBALTIMORE - and I feel like that is the answer.

Here in Baltimor
Melissa Neufer
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolute beautiful book. It's simple yet very touching. Kids and adults alike can read this book and have them make them feel more at peace just by reading it. It teaches that peace can be as simple and easy as being kind to one another. Peace can be found in a darkest of times. It certainly got me in the feels. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL book.
Vikki VanSickle
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that uses clean, evocative language to evoke various feelings of peace. Would sit nicely alongside THE QUIET BOOK
KC
This is an exceptional book about being kind, empathetic, giving, and how peace can change us all.
Tasha
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book explores the concept of peace. It begins with simple examples, ones that are found every day like trips to the beach or giving someone a muffin. Peace is also mentioned as being gratitude for simple things in life and the book goes on to elaborate those with kisses, walks and food. The book transitions into questions about support and peace, asking about staying together, drying tears and listening to stories. It then moves to places you can find peace, whether that is with fam ...more
Carrie
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
*Disclaimer - I was sent a copy of this book by the author for an honest review*

I've always enjoyed Annette's writing and this simple children's book is an example of something everyone should read. The message is simple yet holds so much more. Today's world is chaotic and intense. There is knowledge and information pummeling us daily. The beauty found in simple pleasures "a muffin or a peach" is lost in a society that puts more value on expensive toys like iPhones and designer clothing.

Anyone c
Linda
Gorgeous illustrations of each poem/sentence along with sweet little poems show numerous ways, in verse, of gathering peace. Here are some favorite lines: "So offer a cookie. Walk away from a fight. Comfort a friend/Through the long, dark night." Each page shows a scene with children, sometimes with a parent. It's a calming book, one to read with a big sigh.
Kate Hastings
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grades K-5. What is happiness? This simple picture book looks at the many ways we can help ourselves and others find peace through generosity, thankfulness, kindness, companionship, noticing, trust, laughter and support.

There is a nod to 9-11-2001 and mourning and facing fear and sadness together and how peace helps hope and happiness live. Simple and beautiful message.
E
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book I wish everyone could read at least once. It's quiet, gentle, and carries a beautiful message without beating you over the head. Illustrations are filled with love and sweet details.

I'll probably buy a copy to own at some point.
Peacegal
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
This is a wonderful book about kindness and helping others that belongs on every child's shelf. Great discussion starter!
Danielle
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is like a little manual for life. It's wonderful.
Brenna
Sweet, genuine and heartwarming without being saccharine. A good book to discuss with students about community and belonging to one another.
Zoe
I recommend this book for young children as a way to enter into a conversation about community, human connection, and peace.
Kerry
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this lovely little book to a class full of second graders yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed hearing what their offerings of peace would be!
Lynn Russellton
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book for our times. Wonderful
for talking to children about the peace that begins at home and inside ourselves. Beautiful illustrations compliment the text perfectly.
Amanda
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars ... dropping it half a star because the text/rhyme was a bit bumpy at times. Everything else is magnificent, and we need this message.
Kristine
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful rhyming text shows various everyday places peace can be found and ways it can be shared.

Excellent book to use to build community in the classroom.
Maren Prestegaard
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous.
Suzi Evelyn
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So, this is a picture book made for small children. As a person who almost never reads anything other than YA, I can say that I didn't expect to pick this book up or to like it as much as I did. The thing is, this book belongs to someone much younger than I, and I was only going to read it aloud to her. Usually when I read things out loud to younger children, I'm not really paying attention to what it is that I'm actually reading. That was definitely not the case with this book. It caught my att ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, nyc
A non-religious book about peace. I think it does a good job of expressing (very simply) that peace is more than just the absence of war/fighting. It means inclusion and reaching out to others. Peace is an active thing.

I wish that there were more about non-peaceful emotions that we have and how to deal with them. It does say that "Peace is the words that you say to your brother." However, it doesn't say anything about trying to control yourself when you're sad or mad and actively trying not to h
Jessie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This really depicts peace as a communal and active thing. A lot of it is about offering peace to others or how we can find peace with others.

The book includes some different settings (mostly city-ish, though), and there's a lot of racial diversity in the families and kids depicted.

It talks a bit about peace during periods of sorrow or grief (there's a spread referencing the Twin Towers and another page about death of a friend or relative), but there's not much about peace when we're angry or afr
Megan McNutt
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think this book would necessarily be the best to have in a classroom just because it does involve prayer and different forms of peaceful exercise that some parents might not be comfortable with. With that being said I think this is an absolutely great book to read to your own children if you are comfortable with it. It talks about peace and how doing kind acts just in your own life towards the people around you it makes the whole world a better place.
Viviane Elbee
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely lyrical lines about peaceful, comforting things. This book reads like a poem more than a story. There are rhyming couplets like: "Peace is gratitude for simple things. Light through a leaf, a dragonfly's wings."
The illustrations are also lovely.
Though it's not really a story, there is an arc, that shows peace through happy times and how to find peace in hard times.
Kids enjoyed this book.
Christine Irvin
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Peace is an offering.
A muffin or a peach.
A birthday invitation.
A trip to the beach."

So begins this lovely book about being a community and being good neighbors and finding love - and peace - in the everyday things around you. The lyrical verse and softly shaded illustrations combine to make a beautiful book for all to enjoy.
Cara Byrne
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely text to help introduce the concept of "peace" to my preschooler. With its subtle nods to the 9/11 attacks, this also was a good reminder to me the stakes of larger political strife and my own personal responsibilities to being a kind, generous world citizen.
Diane
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Peace is a joining, not a pulling apart.
It's the courage to bear a wounded heart."

There a many ways to find peace for ourselves and to give peace to others. A simple book with a wonderful message.
Mrs. Ruigrok
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about finding peace with sweet illustrations.
Deborah
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, for-kids
Lovely poetic book for 2nd grade read aloud. Despite surface simplicity, they thought deeply about the various peace “offerings.” I plan to have them write a paragraph about what they would offer their family (school, neighborhood, city, country, world...) to promote peace.

Special note: the page spread with implied reference to 9-11 is beautifully understated and went over my DC 2nd graders’ heads - although it did lead to a lively discussion about heroes and their headgear. For me, that part o
Ellon
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-2017-bes
Simple yet beautiful. Love the diversity in the illustrations.
Kim
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, kindness
Do little things to extend peace and kindness throughout your community. "Peace is a joining, not a pulling apart."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
  • Rain!
  • Beach House
Annette LeBox is an environmental activist and award-winning author of five picture books and two YA novels. As a founding member and director of the Pitt Polder Preservation Society, she was a major stakeholder in the conservation of two British Columbia Regional Parks: Blaney Bog and Codd Wetlands.

Her picture book, Salmon Creek, was awarded the British Columbia Book prize for illustrated literat
More about Annette LeBox