Start by marking “Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1

Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 (Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,525 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Queen & Country, the Eisner Award-winning and critically lauded espionage series from acclaimed novelist and comic book author Greg Rucka, is back in a new series of definitive editions collecting the entire classic series in just four affordable soft covers. In this first collection, readers are introduced to the thrilling and often-times devastating world of internat ...more
Published April 20th 2010 by Oni Press (first published January 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Queen and Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen and Country

Sean Gibson
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I like to put on my big boy pants and read a grown-up comic that doesn’t feature people in codpieces laser eyeing each other in the gravity-defying bosoms. Queen & Country is one of those books that people who used to read superhero books but don’t anymore and want to feel superior to their infantile funnybook-reading brethren like to tout, so I figured, snobbery of those few detestable individuals aside (*sniff*), I’d give it a shot.

Turns out it’s solid. More than solid, in fact.
Courtney
Oct 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This book compiled into graphic novel form the first 12 comics from Greg Rucka's "Queen & Country" series.

As you might guess from the title, the book -- though written by an American living in the U.S. -- centers on a very British view of the world. We follow several high-level intelligence operatives based in London who are sent out around the globe to protect their country's interests when things get messy.

It's a James Bond/Borne Identity type of world, with lots of intrigue, shooting, c
Miriam
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2008
I'm giving the 3 stars for the first two books in this omnibus. I hated the last book - more for the drawing then anything. I have no patience for the two inch waist and watermelon breasts. I also didn't enjoy how the men were drawn. I might enjoy Fernandez's drawing in a different context - I admired the technique - but in this one.
Matt Smith
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The weirdest thing about Greg Rucka is I always forget how good he is. Usually when a good writer slips into "I always forget" territory he's quite good. But Rucka isn't. Rucka is insanely good. It's nuts that this came out 15 years ago (ish) and holds up like made crazy. Rucka is a fantastic thriller writer and a fantastic spy-story teller. I can't wait to read the rest of these this year.

If you haven't read Rucka I'd recommend starting here. Or with Alpha. Because Alpha was dope.
Tony
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
I like graphic storytelling and I like a lot of espionage stories (be they fiction, film, nonfiction), so when the four-volume collection came out, I figured it was high time I sample this series. This first volume collects three stories about the British SIS (Special Intelligence Service, aka MI6). In "Operation: Broken Ground" (illustrated by Steve Rolston) an agent is sent to Kosovo to assassinate a Russian arms dealer. In "Operation: Morningstar" (illustrated by several artists) an agent is ...more
Andrew
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
A nuts-and-bolts espionage comic that has the strange distinction of starting just months before 9/11. Reading it now, after 15 years of war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, etc., it's hard not to be distracted and irritated by Rucka's political naivete. He implicitly makes cases for Western intervention in both Afghanistan and Iraq, while showing a lack of interest in context or consequences.

This comic is dated in another way that has nothing to do with global geopolitics. When it debuted, the com
Chris
Really enjoyed this series. I will be picking up the rest of the Definitive Editions later. It was more serious spy stuff, post 9/11, from the British perspective, but not over the top like James Bond stuff (which is enjoyable in it's own right). The artwork was interesting, usually more cartoon like initially, but each book within the book had a different artist so it changed as it went. That was an interesting twist, which was nice and not at the same time, since I had to get to know the new v ...more
Andrew
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing on this series is top notch, early in Greg Rucka's career, but the change in art styles is jarring: the main character (Tara Chace) goes from average and possibly dowdy in the first couple of story lines, and positively ragged in the second arc, to wasp-waisted, stacked, and sexy in the last arc. It was actually distracting, considering it seemed that the intent was to show average people in the job of spy-craft, which then becomes a Hollywood-ized story without the nuance. This coll ...more
Josh
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5. I took off half a star for Leandro Fernandez's art. I wish Steve Rolston could have pencilled more of the book instead. As far as story goes, it kept me entertained though.
Felicia
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I enjoyed this a lot. It's pretty standard spy-agency fare, but the drawings really made the journey enjoyable.
  • Sleeper: Season One
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Outfit
  • Desolation Jones: Made in England
  • Mystery Society
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers (The Sixth Gun, #1)
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • Local
  • The Nightly News
  • Phonogram, Vol. 1: Rue Britannia (Phonogram, #1)
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 12: Dirty
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition (4 books)
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 2