Start by marking “Big Chickens Fly the Coop” as Want to Read:
Big Chickens Fly the Coop

Big Chickens Fly the Coop

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  212 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The four big chickens who were afraid of everything in their wellreceived debut, Big Chickens, are now feeling all cooped up, so they set off to find the farmhouse. But where, the hapless hens wonder, is it? First they find a doghouse (loud barking!); then they run into a tractor (ewww, dirty!); and then they stomp into the barn (wild horses!). Who knew the farmhouse was r
Published January 24th 2008 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Big Chickens Fly the Coop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Chickens Fly the Coop

Scope
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
No group of people on earth enjoy a sequel as much as kids. Sometimes it seems like if you slap a “2″ at the end of a book or movie, youngsters take that to mean “times 2″. Twice as cool, twice as funny, twice as good. Kids go into a part deux boldly: familiar with the content and hopeful for the best. Adults, on the other hand, can be fearful of sequels, afraid that it may not live up to the original. I’m guilty of this as well. Heck, I’ve even been scared to listen to side B of an album, think ...more
Diane
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four hens want to venture over to the farmhouse ... though they should stay in the coop. But how else will they see the farmhouse, taste the bugs there and see the view? They soon discover, however, that there are so many obstacles: dogs, tractors, the barn. Each time they run back to the safety of the coop. Finally, through determination and courage, they make it to the farmhouse. And funny thing is, after that their coop seems so much closer to the farmhouse then it did before.

Cute illustratio
Ashley Adkins
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
My boys, ages 8 and 9, read this book and enjoyed it. Again, the play on the words "big chickens" is always a lot of fun. And again, this book is probably for children younger than mine. The art is fun and the story is entertaining.
Jamila
This is humorous and a great book for exploring fear, adventure, and making predictions.
Kylee Myers
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Four big chickens want to leave the coop to explore the farmhouse. Once they leave, they discover things that they had never known before. The fist time they left, they discovered big slobbery dogs, which lead them back to their coop. Next they were encountered by a crazy tractor! They immediately went back to their coop. The third time they flew the coop, the encountered wild, bucking horses!They immediately went back to their coop. They decided to take one last chance which finally lead them t ...more
Luann
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2011
I haven't read the first Big Chicken book, but I'm thinking I should. This is fun and I love the illustrations of the chickens - especially the expressions on their faces - as they have all sorts of adventures (involving a dog, a tractor, and horses) on their quest to find the farmhouse. Pair this one with Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken for a different take on chickens and adventures.
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
A flock of nervous chickens are trying to explore the barnyard beyond their hen-house. Their ultimate destination is to see the view from the farmhouse. After many failed attempts to get there, they finally succeed only to find it wasn't as exciting as they had hoped. Not necessarily an amazing story, but the illustrations were great! Don't get me wrong, the story is fun, especially to read-aloud.
Christina
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about four chickens that are too afraid to go outside of their coop, so they are unfamiliar with where the farmhouse is located. After confusing the farmhouse for the doghouse and stables, they finally reach their destination. This book shares the lesson that you should not be afraid of going after what you want. Your fears should not prevent you from following your dreams.
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicken-books
My kids enjoyed this book about chickens trying to leave their coop to visit the farm house. My kids love their own chickens, and so are drawn to books about chickens. This is a funny story to them, trying to imagine chickens behaving in this way.
As for myself, the illustrations weren't my favorite and the story was ok. It was a fun one-time read.
Juliana Lee
Four big chickens use their own sense of direction and ingenuity to get to the farmhouse. Along the way they must avoid the dogs, the tractor, and the horse. When they finally get there the round-about way, they realize the farmhouse is actually right next door to their own coop. Lively language set in a bouncy rhythm.
Jessica Hancock
Good book to use in a literacy class. Could meet many reading and writing standards. Lots of words in some parts that are a little hard so practice this many times if planning to use for a read aloud.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chickens, hitchhiking
An entertaining story of four chickens who accidentally hitch a ride into town in the back of the farmer's truck. I love all the adjectives used to describe the four chicken's experiences.

Really fun illustrations.
Angela Moorer
The chickens in this tale bring new meaning to the phrase "there's no place like home". The chickens want to fly the coop and see the world outside of what they are exposed to daily. This can be used to practice predicting with students as well as sequence.
Mary
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another Big Chicken adventure as they want to explore the farmhouse. There are various scary challenges along the way. They plan their mission and succeed. They have a great old time, but are also happy to go back to their coopl
Aberdeen Children's
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute picute book. The illustrations and colors are wonderfully exclamatory!! The elements of fear and surprise are both present when four chickens discover life on the farm. This book would be appropriate for pr-K through gr. 2.
Edna
Very funny story about four curious older chickens whose determined curiosity drive them to venture out of their comfortable coop in search of the farmhouse where they think wonderful things are kept.
Amber Cooper
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great book for sensory words and adjectives! A tale of four chickens seeking an adventure to the farm house encounter some obstacles on the way. This book is great for younger elementary,it is definitely comical which is sure to get children laughing!
Dawn
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We read this so e time ago, but my son brought it up again today. I am going to have to get it again. He thought it was funny and giggled through the whole thing. There was a time that the only books he wanted to hear were the ones that took place on a farm.
Vicki
These chickens are BIG chickens when it comes to exploring their world. The repetitive phrase "We should've stayed home" will engage school age listeners to this funny book. Beautiful illustrations!
Vicki
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious read-a-loud book for three and four-year olds. This is one book I don't tire of reading time and time and time again. The alliteration, rhyming and repetition make this such a fun, unique book.
Eileen
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Repition of phrases makes a good choice for storytime, plus illustrations are funny.
Tiffany
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute story about 4 funny chickens.
Clairecuixin
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
we should, we could, we would... unless
Bobby
Mar 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Somewhat dumb storyline but great for vocabulary, synonyms, and rhymes.
Karla
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
More chicken fun when Big Chickens decide to take a trip to see the farmhouse. Good rhyming, lots of repetition. Even funnier than the first!
Mary
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love these gals.
Marilyn
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is fun. TONS of verbs and onomatopoeia. Fun, predictable repetition.
Megan
Hilarious story of nervous chickens who encounter scary things (dogs, tractors, etc.) in their quest to find the farmhouse. Great read-aloud.
Leva
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grandcanyon2012
no place like home
Colby Sharp
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
You gotta love a good chicken book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Cow That Laid an Egg
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County
  • Tough Chicks
  • Skippy Jon Jones Collection (4 Board Book Collection, 1-2-3, Color Crazy, Shape Up, Up & Down)
  • Scoot!