Start by marking “The New One Minute Manager” as Want to Read:
The New One Minute Manager

The New One Minute Manager

(One Minute Manager)

For decades, The One Minute Manager® has helped millions achieve more successful professional and personal lives. While the principles it lays out are timeless, our world has changed drastically since the book’s publication. The exponential rise of technology, global flattening of markets, instant communication, and pressures on corporate workforces to do more with less—in ...more
Published May 2015 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The New One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New One Minute Manager

Start your review of The New One Minute Manager
Spencer Richard
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a parable that probably works for a lot of people. The original version has like 50,000 ratings on goodreads. It's clear that it has value. I recognize that it has value, there are some great tools in here. Three to be exact. The thing is, it's incredibly cult-like and as far as literature goes--it was beyond awful. I earmarked three pages, each had maybe four sentences. They have the summaries of each holy Secret. They are my takeaways.

I guess you could say that I very much disliked it
Bobbie M.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you enjoy capitalistic garbage written as a parable for businessmen who read at a second grade level, this is the book for you.
Petr
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
got the book from library and skimmed it.

One Minute GOAL:
-written in under 250 words (FITS one 1 page) with clear measurements of what winning is.
-review goals frequently
-monitor and try to notice if people are matching with goal or urge them to change
-Closely monitor: look over trying to find something to praise - not something to criticize.

One Minute PRAISING:
-One minute praising: if the goal is achieved spend 60 seconds praising the behavior that led to the win. Be genuine and not cheesy.
-Say
John E. Smith
I read the first version of this book in 1984, as I transitioned from one job and state to another. I remember thinking that this is how I want to work with people - using short interactions to clarify and motivate. My work has always included an emphasis on brief and direct discussions with those I hope to lead, using Blanchard and Johnson's model.

When I heard that they were updating and releasing a new version, I expected to be re-inspired and I have not been disappointed.

The 21st Century vers
Geoff
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: work, biz, read-2017
God save me from business parables. The core tips were good, but at 112 pages this was about ten times longer than it needed to be, and the padding was vague, vacuous, and simplistic.
Andrej Karpathy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short book that employs clever writing to turn otherwise bland material into both fun and insightful reading.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I’m not entirely sure how to rate this book. The text is incredibly short: about the length of a magazine article. The takeaways are even shorter; much of that short text is a parable about a young man learning the ways of the one-minute manager. That said, I got this book from the library so I’m inclined to be generous regarding the amount of actual content, and there is something to be said for expanding on a simple idea at a little more length in order to fix it in readers’ minds.

The takeaway
Ebony
Dec 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
[SPOILER ALERT]
The New One Minute Manager came highly recommended to me. I added it to this list and a student graciously gifted it. (Note to self: invite all students to my Goodreads). I read it quickly and thought, I’m one of those results managers. How do I shift the balance to results and people mid-stream? Then my programmer messaged about a show-stopping bug that he found after an upgrade. He said he stopped his current milestone to fix it, and we were back on track. I tried the one-minute
Maciej Nowicki
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The new one minute manager, written by Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson, is a revision of the co-authors’ The one minute manager, originally published in 1982. Ken Blanchard is considered one of the most influential leadership experts in the world. He has co-authored 60 books and in 2005 was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top two best-selling authors of all time. Spencer Johnson parallels Ken, and he also became a member of Amazon’s list.

The book at the beginning explains how
Greg Swierad
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars, because book is very short and has very interesting management theory. I did not try it yet, but looks very interesting and knowing psychology of humans it has solution for many problems while management of group of people.

I do recommend this book, but only for team leaders. Only then you will make a use of it, and understand philosophy of it.
Chinmayee Bhamburkar
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd planned to give it only as many stars as the secrets they shared. Eventually, even though the book speaks nothing new; you feel you have discovered something worth a lifelong practice. If you're very lazy just read the capitalised mantras throughout the book!
Andrius Zygmanta
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple but powerful book about overlooked basics of people management.

“I believe in facilitating, but not in participating in making other people’s decisions. We’re here to get results. By drawing on the talents of everyone, we’re a lot more productive”
Chandler Alexander
Great book

This book was amazing! It has served as a blessing for me in both my personal and profession life! A must read.
Shahrazad
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Someone recommended the original ‘one minute manager’ in a training and I thought I’d try this version. I found it too simplistic , the parable used was irritating. It can probably be summarized in a paragraph. Other than the ‘3 secrets’ I came out of it with a couple of new things . Namely , it names a type of leadership I’ve seen in the Middle East ‘leave alone and zap’ now I have a nickname for it :) and it articulates a learning concept applicable for students, employees and even kids ‘ puni ...more
Bardha
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s nice but repetitive
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A simple and concise guide to help you learn how to manage yourself and others. Anyone could implement these basic steps into their professional and/or personal lives and experience a significant improvement. EXCELLENT!!!
Georgi Nenov
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have heard a lot about Ken Blanchard's books but never actually got one until an event that my friend and fellow author Ivailo Kunev hosts - Book Talks, where inspiring people share insights from great books. The New One Minute Manager was the host's pick and I immediately added it to my "to read" list. Today, I have listened to the book once more because you can rarely find something as short and as spot-on as TNOMM. It is a must-read both for managers and employees. Highly recommended!
Ammon Carson
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent principles, but the entire book is in story form. In many ways this is effective, however I feel like it forces you to look at the principles through a predetermined paradigm which found me wishing for a little more substance than story. Overall, I would say that this is easily worth the time and effort to read for the fruits.
Maddi Crezee
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is very obnoxious. It has good points which could (and are) summarized on three pages. This leads me to my first problem. The only important information is found on 3 pages, yet it has been dragged into a 92 page book. Reading this book reminded me of a student trying to hit a word count quota set by their teacher.

My second problem is that the authors decided to write it in the form of a story, in which a young man searches the world far and wide for a good manager only to find that t
Kaitlyn
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A solid meh.
Michelle Sauvageau
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this I thought I wasn’t going to get a single thing out of it, but it was short, so I thought I’d keep reading. Turns out, I was completely wrong! There were several great nuggets in this one that I am excited to work on and share with my team:

1. Catch people doing something right - giving positive feedback is something I really enjoy, but I especially love the concept of looking for someone succeeding and immediately pointing it out to them as it happens to reinforc
Joseph Iliff
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am really impressed by the updated version of The One Minute Manager, now the New One Minute Manager. The wisdom in it is timeless, but the updated version fits in contemporary times so very well. Of course, the format is so simple, it is almost impossible to read it and not have the main point sink in. It is a great book for a leader to have on their annual reading list, books they should read every year, because it is so quick to do so. Or, if you want to have your management team read a boo ...more
Ahmad Abugosh
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
A short book (which could have been a blog post) on how to manage people. It's told in the form of a story, where a researcher tries to find the perfect manager until he finds the cult figure "one minute manager"

I found the writing and contrived story to be very lame, but the 3 principles mentioned in the book are good:

1) Set "one minute" goals
2) Have "one minute" praises when things go well
3) Have "one minute" redirects (or reprimands in the old version of the book), when things didn't go as p
Justin Rosales
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love that this book was so simple, yet so profound. 3 easy steps to quickly and effectively add value to others. Definitely recommend to anyone who wants to invest in the lives of others.

Awesome Quotes:

The best minute I spend is the one I invest in people.
Feedback is the breakfast to results.

We are not just our behavior. We are the person managing our behavior.
Nick
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very quick read and a helpful how-to guide for anyone getting started managing people. Its helpful to have some specific tools and ways to do things when dealing with direct reports if you’ve never had that responsibility before. I doubt it’s enough to last any manager more than a few months before needing to handle more complex issues that arise with staff but it’s certainly a helpful start.
Rachel Piper
Aug 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: nonficton
This actually had some really helpful information, but OH MY GOD the writing is so corny.
ScienceOfSuccess
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very simple yet informative, probably not the worst way to start.
Nomadic  Musings
The world is changing faster. There are updates everywhere. You blink and witness a change .... it is that faster! So, with time, even the working structures of the organisations are changing. It is expected to get a faster response from the businesses, and to keep up with the ever-changing technology and globalization. It is all fine, but what the businesses need to focus on to get results is the people. The collaborative approach should be there. So, for that purpose, The one-minute manager bo ...more
Sam
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson write a parable and guide to "one minute manager" objective-oriented management philosophy and practice. Following the life of one fictional character, the story follows an early career professional who meets the colleagues of a one minute manager to learn through anecdote about what effective one minute management practice looks like. The 3 secrets of the one minute manager include: set one-minute (or one-paragraph) goals, on key areas of responsibility, with i ...more
S.Ach
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Probably (but, I seriously doubt it) revolutionary when it was first published in 1982. Outdated, now.
The One Minute Manager is about how to do people management in simple and effective way, which basically can be summarized in three steps : Set quantifiable goals. Give sincere praises. Provide timely feedback for improvement.
Clichéd, ain't it?

Interestingly enough, when the book was first published in 1982, the third step was called 'reprimand'. I reckon that word probably has become taboo now

• Out of the Maze: An A-Mazing Way to Get Unstuck
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • The Great CEO Within: The Tactical Guide to Company Building
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Measure What Matters
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • Emotional Intelligence for Sales Success: Connect with Customers and Get Results
  • Chief Joy Officer: How Great Leaders Elevate Human Energy and Eliminate Fear
  • Leaders Eat Last
  • The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Ethics 101: What Every Leader Needs To Know
  • Leadership 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams
  • Talking with the One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Balances Work and Life
  • The One Minute Manager Gets Fit
  • One Minute Manager Salesperson
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • One Minute Manager/Putting the One Minute Manager to Work/Boxed Set

News & Interviews

“Everyone Is A Potential Winner. Some People Are Disguised As Losers. Don’t Let Their Appearances Fool You.” 7 likes
“People Who Feel Good About Themselves Produce Good Results. *” 5 likes