Start by marking “The New One Minute Manager” as Want to Read:
The New One Minute Manager

The New One Minute Manager

(One Minute Manager)

For decades, The One Minute Manager® has helped millions achieve more successful professional and personal lives. While the principles it lays out are timeless, our world has changed drastically since the book’s publication. The exponential rise of technology, global flattening of markets, instant communication, and pressures on corporate workforces to do more with less—in ...more
Published May 2015 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The New One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New One Minute Manager

Start your review of The New One Minute Manager
Spencer Richard
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a parable that probably works for a lot of people. The original version has like 50,000 ratings on goodreads. It's clear that it has value. I recognize that it has value, there are some great tools in here. Three to be exact. The thing is, it's incredibly cult-like and as far as literature goes--it was beyond awful. I earmarked three pages, each had maybe four sentences. They have the summaries of each holy Secret. They are my takeaways.

I guess you could say that I very much disliked it
Bobbie B.
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
If you enjoy capitalistic garbage written as a parable for businessmen who read at a second grade level, this is the book for you.
Petr
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
got the book from library and skimmed it.

One Minute GOAL:
-written in under 250 words (FITS one 1 page) with clear measurements of what winning is.
-review goals frequently
-monitor and try to notice if people are matching with goal or urge them to change
-Closely monitor: look over trying to find something to praise - not something to criticize.

One Minute PRAISING:
-One minute praising: if the goal is achieved spend 60 seconds praising the behavior that led to the win. Be genuine and not cheesy.
-Say
Geoff
Jan 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2017, work, biz
God save me from business parables. The core tips were good, but at 112 pages this was about ten times longer than it needed to be, and the padding was vague, vacuous, and simplistic.
John E. Smith
I read the first version of this book in 1984, as I transitioned from one job and state to another. I remember thinking that this is how I want to work with people - using short interactions to clarify and motivate. My work has always included an emphasis on brief and direct discussions with those I hope to lead, using Blanchard and Johnson's model.

When I heard that they were updating and releasing a new version, I expected to be re-inspired and I have not been disappointed.

The 21st Century vers
Andrej Karpathy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very short book that employs clever writing to turn otherwise bland material into both fun and insightful reading.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I’m not entirely sure how to rate this book. The text is incredibly short: about the length of a magazine article. The takeaways are even shorter; much of that short text is a parable about a young man learning the ways of the one-minute manager. That said, I got this book from the library so I’m inclined to be generous regarding the amount of actual content, and there is something to be said for expanding on a simple idea at a little more length in order to fix it in readers’ minds.

The takeaway
Ebony
Dec 19, 2016 added it
Shelves: leadership
[SPOILER ALERT]
The New One Minute Manager came highly recommended to me. I added it to this list and a student graciously gifted it. (Note to self: invite all students to my Goodreads). I read it quickly and thought, I’m one of those results managers. How do I shift the balance to results and people mid-stream? Then my programmer messaged about a show-stopping bug that he found after an upgrade. He said he stopped his current milestone to fix it, and we were back on track. I tried the one-minute
Rachel Piper
Aug 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: nonficton
This actually had some really helpful information, but OH MY GOD the writing is so corny.
Maddi Crezee
Apr 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is very obnoxious. It has good points which could (and are) summarized on three pages. This leads me to my first problem. The only important information is found on 3 pages, yet it has been dragged into a 92 page book. Reading this book reminded me of a student trying to hit a word count quota set by their teacher.

My second problem is that the authors decided to write it in the form of a story, in which a young man searches the world far and wide for a good manager only to find that t
Shahrazad
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Someone recommended the original ‘one minute manager’ in a training and I thought I’d try this version. I found it too simplistic , the parable used was irritating. It can probably be summarized in a paragraph. Other than the ‘3 secrets’ I came out of it with a couple of new things . Namely , it names a type of leadership I’ve seen in the Middle East ‘leave alone and zap’ now I have a nickname for it :) and it articulates a learning concept applicable for students, employees and even kids ‘ puni ...more
Greg Swierad
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars, because book is very short and has very interesting management theory. I did not try it yet, but looks very interesting and knowing psychology of humans it has solution for many problems while management of group of people.

I do recommend this book, but only for team leaders. Only then you will make a use of it, and understand philosophy of it.
Chinmayee B
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd planned to give it only as many stars as the secrets they shared. Eventually, even though the book speaks nothing new; you feel you have discovered something worth a lifelong practice. If you're very lazy just read the capitalised mantras throughout the book! ...more
Andrius Zygmanta
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simple but powerful book about overlooked basics of people management.

“I believe in facilitating, but not in participating in making other people’s decisions. We’re here to get results. By drawing on the talents of everyone, we’re a lot more productive”
Chandler Alexander
Great book

This book was amazing! It has served as a blessing for me in both my personal and profession life! A must read.
Bardha
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It’s nice but repetitive
Joanna Xiong
Jul 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Now finally a management book written in the form of a story. Humans remember concepts that flow in a logical sense like a story which is what this 100 pg book does perfectly. Amazing management doesn't have to be conceptually hard or involve some hidden strategy that only a select few can master. It is usually the painful obvious that no one notices or takes time to acknowledge because of how easy it can sound. But this less than 1 hr read states the key obvious ideas you should focus on, and t ...more
Steff Fox
Apr 18, 2022 rated it it was ok
$20 for the 98 pages it takes the book to say something that could’ve been said in 5. The majority of this book is just painful filler whose only purpose is to make it so they can sell it as a book instead of passing it out as a brochure.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some great takeaways from this. But no one needs 98 pages to impart those messages.
Stephanie
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A simple and concise guide to help you learn how to manage yourself and others. Anyone could implement these basic steps into their professional and/or personal lives and experience a significant improvement. EXCELLENT!!!
Andy Auger
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
Classic refresher. Quick read even for a slow poke like me.
Stella Hu
Mar 03, 2022 rated it it was ok
TLDR.

Focus on
• 1 min goals: make it clear what the goals are and show what good behavior looks like. Redirect people to come up with solutions to problems otherwise you’re just complaining.
• 1 min praisings: praise the behavior; be specific and do it soon.
• 1 min re-directs: confirm what happened, describe the mistake but let them know you value them.

Overall, concise book but somewhat overly simplistic about being a manager.
Cairn
Mar 14, 2022 rated it did not like it
Shelves: career-growth
Poor writing. This could easily have been a one page blog post. Most of the writing was:
“We have 3 tips to help you”
“three tips?”
“YES three tips!”
“Wow, three tips, that’s great.”
Filler content to get you to pay $10 for a book.
Unrealistic situations where everything is perfect and everyone happy. Maybe 5% of this book was helpful.
Bianca Escada (planningwithlove)
I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I see it is a foundation piece for most organizations. Also, I see it’s effectiveness in the work place.

Haha I know my manager has used it on me. Really enjoyed this and will be sharing with my team.

Recommend for anyone who Lead, Manages, and Supports. This is definitely a sharp tool to keep in your tool box.
Georgi Nenov
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have heard a lot about Ken Blanchard's books but never actually got one until an event that my friend and fellow author Ivailo Kunev hosts - Book Talks, where inspiring people share insights from great books. The New One Minute Manager was the host's pick and I immediately added it to my "to read" list. Today, I have listened to the book once more because you can rarely find something as short and as spot-on as TNOMM. It is a must-read both for managers and employees. Highly recommended! ...more
Ammon Carson
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent principles, but the entire book is in story form. In many ways this is effective, however I feel like it forces you to look at the principles through a predetermined paradigm which found me wishing for a little more substance than story. Overall, I would say that this is easily worth the time and effort to read for the fruits.
Maciej Nowicki
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The new one minute manager, written by Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson, is a revision of the co-authors’ The one minute manager, originally published in 1982. Ken Blanchard is considered one of the most influential leadership experts in the world. He has co-authored 60 books and in 2005 was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top two best-selling authors of all time. Spencer Johnson parallels Ken, and he also became a member of Amazon’s list.

The book at the beginning explains how
Kaitlyn
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
A solid meh.
Michelle Sauvageau
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this I thought I wasn’t going to get a single thing out of it, but it was short, so I thought I’d keep reading. Turns out, I was completely wrong! There were several great nuggets in this one that I am excited to work on and share with my team:

1. Catch people doing something right - giving positive feedback is something I really enjoy, but I especially love the concept of looking for someone succeeding and immediately pointing it out to them as it happens to reinforc
Ahmad Abugosh
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
A short book (which could have been a blog post) on how to manage people. It's told in the form of a story, where a researcher tries to find the perfect manager until he finds the cult figure "one minute manager"

I found the writing and contrived story to be very lame, but the 3 principles mentioned in the book are good:

1) Set "one minute" goals
2) Have "one minute" praises when things go well
3) Have "one minute" redirects (or reprimands in the old version of the book), when things didn't go as p
Justin Rosales
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love that this book was so simple, yet so profound. 3 easy steps to quickly and effectively add value to others. Definitely recommend to anyone who wants to invest in the lives of others.

Awesome Quotes:

The best minute I spend is the one I invest in people.
Feedback is the breakfast to results.

We are not just our behavior. We are the person managing our behavior.

• Out of the Maze: An A-Mazing Way to Get Unstuck
  • The First-Time Manager
  • The Great CEO Within: The Tactical Guide to Company Building
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • The Successful Speaker: Five Steps for Booking Gigs, Getting Paid, and Building Your Platform
  • Law of Attraction - How to Attract Money, Love, and Happiness
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • There's No Business Like International Business: Business Travel – But Not As You Know It
  • Sustainable & Responsible Investing 360°: Lessons Learned from World Class Investors
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Trust and Inspire: How Truly Great Leaders Unleash Greatness in Others
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders at All Levels
  • Exactly What to Say: The Magic Words for Influence and Impact
  • Unreasonable Hospitality: The Remarkable Power of Giving People More Than They Expect
See top shelves…
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The One Minute Manager Builds High Performing Teams