Start by marking “The Bronte Family: Passionate Literary Geniuses” as Want to Read:
The Bronte Family: Passionate Literary Geniuses

The Bronte Family: Passionate Literary Geniuses

A joint biography of Charlotte, Emily, Branwell, and Anne Bronte, exploring how the siblings sparked creativity in each other and how their lives were woven into their novels.
Published April 1st 2002 by Lerner Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Bronte Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bronte Family

Becky
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc
ARC provided by NetGalley & Endeavour Media, for release of a new edition, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

I have always had an interest in the Brontë family ever since I was young. I first visited the Brontë Parsonage when I was 10 and I was incredibly interested by the Brontë sisters lives.

This biography spoke deeply of all the Brontë sisters lives as well as their brother, Branwell. I learned quite a number of things about the family from this read - especially in terms of B
Rania Ioannou
If you're looking for a brief introduction to the life of the Bronte family, this is a good summary of the main events that marked their lives. I personally love reading fully-fledged biographies with lots of details and anecdotes. I think this book lacked in this department, It mostly felt like reading a brief biography that I could easily pick up in a gift shop at the Bronte Parsonage Museum or an extensive Wikipedia entry. Unfortunately for me, it didn't provide me with any greater insight ab ...more
Linda Romer
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviews
I loved learning about The Bronte Family through Author Karen Smith Kenyon's research and writing. I was enamored with the romantic and dramatic lives of Reverend Bronte and his six children. The photographs and sketches in the book are amazing. There lives were amazing and devastating. I'm looking forward to reading Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. And I would love to visit The Bronte Parsonage Museum in the Yorkshire Village in Haworth.

I give The Bronte Family 5 stars for its informative read.
Juli Rahel
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Aah, the Brontë sisters! What geniuses they were and how miserably short their lives. And yet their few years continue to fascinate their readers. Sadly I am still far away from visiting Haworth, but it has been on my list ever since I first read Jane Eyre. As a devout Brontë fan I try to get my hands on every book written about them and the latest instalment is The Brontë Family by Karen Kenyon. Thanks to Endeavour Media and Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an ...more
Mystica
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A detailed account of the lives of the entire Bronte family but dealing with Emily, Charlotte and Anne in greater detail, their life at the parsonage, their excursions into the wider world to both broaden their horizons as well as earn a living and how they all came back to the moors which they loved and the tragic end to their young lives.

Born at a time when women did not venture into the world of publishing, they first published under male names and once established as "proper" authors venture
Erin
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting read. It is incredibly well written non-fiction that reads like a story instead of a collection of facts and thats how I like my non-fiction. I have long been a fan of the Bronte sisters and have read a great deal about them, so what I really enjoyed about this look at the family was the peek into the life of Branwell. I didn't know how much I didn't know about him. I was again struck, as I often am when reading about the Bronte sisters, by the strength of will and ...more
Ellie (crackthespine)
I received this arc from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This was lovely - I didn't know much about the Brontes, and I was worried this would turn out to be a pretty dense read, Actually, it read more like a story in and of itself. It was interesting (I definitely enjoyed learning more about their early lives and what drew the sisters into becoming such amazing authors - as well as Branwell, and how that affected their novels too).

Not only has it reaffirmed my love for the Brontes, b
Lauradish79
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting look at the life of the Bronte sisters. Through a life of difficult circumstances, they created and collaborated to create amazing novels that are enjoyed to this day. The author does a wonderful job of telling their story.
Mary
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this historical look at each of the Bronte's and how their work influenced each other. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Elisa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
very interesting. I feel sad after reading the Bronte family but excited to see their books. Looking forward for Wuthering Heights.
Jen Solak
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an extremely accessible biography of the famous Brontë family. Charlotte, Emily, and Anne are the most famous members of the family but this book covers their other sisters, who died young, as well as their troubled brother Branwell. This particular biography manages to tell their story in a way that covers facts but also humanizes the members of the family, Everything from romances (confirmed and speculated) to the publishing process are covered. I would recommend this book for anyone w ...more
Lindsay
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I happened upon this book after Ian pushed a pile of books off the shelf in the biography section at the library. I was fascinated with the Bronte sisters. Their lives were so short and sad, but they gave us such amazing stories before they departed this world. I especially admire them because they continued to write even though men told them that women couldn't write. Ha, they showed them, it is the Bronte name we remember.
Anne
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely history of a few short but creative lives. The photos and artwork are a nice touch.

After reading this, you will be thankful that dank disease ridden boarding schools are a thing of the past. You will want to make sure that your TB vaccine is up to date. You will also be grateful that Ellen didn't burn the letters.

Happy reading!
Jodi
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Had read a novel this summer about the Brontes then Daphne (see later review) so I needed a quick biography to settle some questions I had. This fit the bill. Designed for the YA audience so readable in a couple of hours.
Jill
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Really a very nice book. Short and an easy read, a good picture of their lives, not too much detail.
Catherine
Apr 05, 2010
Bre
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Brontë Family is a work of nonfiction. I'm a big fan of the Brontë sisters, so much so, that I even chose Charlotte Brontë as a subject for a research paper. This biographical piece paints a broad picture of the entire Brontë family. I learned pieces of information that I had not known before reading. For example, the fact that Charlotte was shortsighted. Also, I enjoyed how Kenyon depicted the Brontë sisters' attitudes towards children. Kenyon's work was easy to read and understand.
Diane
May 08, 2015
Mjdrean
Dec 12, 2010
Mikavika
Sep 07, 2012
Katie
Nov 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
For someone who generally does not read nonfiction or biographies, I loved this. That may be because I am passionate about the subject matter.

I love the Brontë’s and I felt that Kenyon was able to give me the clearest picture of their life. She even included Branwell who often gets overshadowed in light of his sisters. We even get to know a bit more about Anne, who I seemed to know the least about.

My only complaint was the pacing. It took me a while to get invested and that might turn off some
Ashley