Start by marking “Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3)” as Want to Read:
Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)

Tripwire

(Jack Reacher #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  87,509 ratings  ·  3,446 reviews
Jack Reacher, ex-military policeman relaxed in Key West until Costello turned up dead. The amiable PI was hired in New York by the daughter of Reacher's mentor and former commanding officer, General Garber. Garber's investigation into a Vietnam MIA sets Reacher on collision with hand-less "Hook" Hobie, hours away from his biggest score.
Published July 1st 2000 by Jove (first published June 28th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Tripwire, please sign up.
Petra Yes, they are connected, but in my opionion you can read them in any order you like.
Chris
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
3,245 books — 4,142 voters
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Best Spy Novels
1,041 books — 1,907 voters

More lists with this book...

·  87,509 ratings  ·  3,446 reviews

Start your review of Tripwire (Jack Reacher, #3)
Adam
This isn't a review, because I just started reading this book, but I couldn't help sharing my irritation.

I like Lee Child's storytelling skills, and Jack Reacher is a fun character to read about.

Unfortunately, his prose is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Most irritating of all, it's not irredeemably bad, it just needs a good editor. Who is Lee Child's editor? Does he even have one?

For instance:

"Are you Jack Reacher?" the guy asked for the third time.
Reacher set his bottle on the table and
Lyn
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere on Lee Child’s desk there is a formula that looks something like this:

1. Remind the reader that Jack Reacher is an ex-MP drifter; he’s tall and strong and dangerous – a tough guy’s tough guy, damn near bullet proof.

2. Through no fault of his own, and without looking for trouble, Reacher gets in trouble.

3. There will be a pretty woman and she will be attracted to Reacher.

4. Create a sadistic bastard as an antagonist.

5. Construct a thriller with mystery elements to keep the pages
Jeff
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My reading record for Lee Child’s Reacher series hasn’t been stellar – The first book in the series, and the second of the two I had read, was a dreadful regurgitation of genre clichés and one of the worst books I’ve ever read. The other book (#7), which comes later in the series was better – entertaining enough, and if the reader gets past the asshat-clever, narrative tomfoolery, not a bad read.

So why continue with the series?

The trailer for the second Reacher movie starring Tom Cruise looked
Kemper
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
“What kind of book is this?” he asked.

I thought about the answer to that a moment.

“What kind of book is this?” he asked again.

There are many ways to respond to that question. I should think about this for a second longer.

“What kind of book is this?” he asked a third time.

It’s the kind of book that has somebody repeating questions a whole bunch of times while other characters ponder things so if you’re already irritated you should probably avoid it.

Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher has been
James Thane
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
After tangling with an extremist militia group in far northwestern Montana in his last outing, the third Jack Reacher novel finds the ex-MP digging swimming pools in Key West--about as far away from Northwestern Montana as one can get without leaving the United States. When a private investigator from New York named Costello shows up in Key West looking for him, Reacher has no idea who might have sent the guy looking for him or for what purpose, and so he tells Costello that he never heard of ...more
Alp
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75/5

There wasn’t as much action in this book as there was in the previous one, but it was full of suspense which helped move the story right along. The investigation was incredibly intense and thrilling. It kept me wondering and guessing almost up until the end.

The author did it to me again! On the one hand, I really wanted to know the truth after being kept in suspense, but on the other hand, I didn’t want to turn the next page because I was too afraid something very bad would happen to those
Ahmad Sharabiani
Tripwire (Jack Reacher #3), Lee Child
Tripwire is the third book in the Jack Reacher series written in the third person, by Lee Child. It was published in 1999 by Putnam in America and Bantam in the United Kingdom.
Jack Reacher, ex-military policeman relaxed in Key West until Costello turned up dead. The amiable PI was hired in New York by the daughter of Reacher's mentor and former commanding officer, General Garber. Garber's investigation into a Vietnam MIA (Missing in action) sets Reacher on
Samir
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest with you..I enjoy reading thriller books but I don't know how to write reviews for them so if you're looking for an extensive analysis of this book I'm sorry to disappoint you.

I've read second half of the book in one sitting so it is suffice to say that it was very interesting. Not much action scenes in this one but it was filled with suspense and intriguing investigations with a very well executed plot twist.
Supratim
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Tripwire is the third novel in the Jack Reacher series. For those who are not familiar with this character, Reacher is an-ex major in Military Police of the US Army. After losing his job due to downsizing, he leads the life of a vagabond, never living in the same place for long. In fact, he has gone off the grid.

Now what really makes Reacher someone special? He is Sherlock Holmes – John Rambo combined!!

Reacher is living as a swimming pool digger and minding his own business, when a private
William
3-star. My somewhat lacklustre review follows:

This could have been 4 stars, if not for the repetitive and excessively overwritten sections.

Wow, the prose has improved a lot since books 1 and 2. More economical, better rhythm. ... but a different rookie mistake: Changing viewpoint between Reacher and thugs every paragraph. Sucks the tension and pacing right out of it"

And the economical prose doesn't last. The last half of the book has lots of car and plane rides with uber-detail of seats and
Brent Goldstein
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm reading the Reacher series in order from 1 to whatever and this is my third. Loved #1. Liked #2. Not happy with #3. On the positive side, I read it pretty quickly and was just interested enough in the story that I didn't quit and throw it back on the shelf. That being said, this story was a pale comparison to the first two.

I have several criticisms of this book, some major and some minor. On the minor side, the prose was suspect, redundant and often lazy. As some other reviewers have
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
A more realistic book, in comparison to all the very unrealistic things he does in this series. It's probably because this plot follows more of a crime show storyline of detective work by Reacher and lady vs the previous books he was in situations without all the info or a way to investigate through normal channels.

The story starts off with some guys finding Jack in the Florida Keys where he's been living and digging swimming pools. One guy is killed by two other guys and Jack investigates it
Julie
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the third Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child. My husband and I "buddy" read these. My husband loves Jack Reacher. After reading the first two in the series, I can see why the Reacher novels are so appealing to the male population. Lots of details on guns and weapons and lots of action. I enjoyed the first two as well, but not like my husband did. This one though made me a bigger fan. This is one of the third person novels.
Jack is in Florida digging ditches for swimming pools when a private
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, more like it. I have found myself running hot and cold in the Reacher series. There can be a huge eye roll factor in some of them...and there is a bit of that here. However...this one is very well constructed and the story pulled me in and wouldn't let go.

Okay a bit more detail (as I liked this one). So, what's the eye roll factor?

Well, let's look at an example. Reacher has been in Florida when he's drawn into the "mystery" (no spoilers, sorry). He's been making a living hand digging
Adrian
Ok, so despite all the advice and my own thoughts , I went ahead and read another Jack Reacher, so that's 3 in just over 2 weeks. Did I find it boring and/or formulaic as I worried I might ? No, in fact I actually enjoyed this one the most of the 3 so far. A good story well written. Bring on the next, but maybe in a few weeks eh ???
Richard
5.5/10

This was a disappointment after the solid 2nd novel "Die Trying". The plot was flat and offered no twists or turns for quite a lengthy book. The characters were standard for this type of genre also; the good guys were properly good at avoiding death at every turn and the bad guys were paint by numbers villains failing to get their man. The main bad guy has a hook, that's about as scary as it gets here.

Reacher is dragged across the country trying to help a long lost friend/daughter of his
Jo Hurst
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. I wasn’t able to read it as fast as I would have liked but maybe savouring it was the best idea. Hook Hobie has been keeping secrets for 30 years and is determined to stay hidden. That is until Jack Reacher and Jodie Garber turn up. Although I pretty much guessed Hobie’s secret very early on, it did not spoil the book at all. I prefer the army based Jack Reachers but this had a bit of both so it was win win.
James
The best Reacher in the series so far, by a fairly long shot. Reacher is drifting (poorly as he's actually holding down two jobs) in the Florida Keys when he's tracked down by a Private Investigator. Denying that he's the main the man is searching for, he turns up dead pretty quickly. Suddenly Reacher (it's always Reacher, apparently, never Jack) decides he needs to track the killers down and get to the bottom of the whole affair - he feels a level of responsibility for the man's death. Before ...more
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
I read this a long time ago. This is second time was just as enjoyable. Things I forget. Regardless, it confirms why I love Jack Reacher.
John
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reacher, Reacher, he's our man! If he can't do it, NO ONE CAN! Move over James Bond and all you other wannabe heroes, old Reacher is the real deal, and he's got your back.

Having spent an inordinate amount of my reading years going back and forth between fluff fiction, non-fiction, thrillers, and history, it was a pleasure to stumble upon Lee Child's "Tripwire." I probably never would have found this series if it were not for all the television hype about the Tom Cruise screen version of Child's
Linda Alexander
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Child's book 'Tripwire' is an absolutely amazing read!! It seems each of his Jack Reacher novels is so unique all by itself; every time I read one, I think it can't get any better, and yet it does. Contrary to opinions by others about some of his books, I've loved every single one of them. I have nearly completed reading all that he's written, and that makes me sad because 'Reacher' is my hero.

My husband and I also saw the movie 'Jack Reacher' in December and we both enjoyed it.
Gary
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best jack reacher stories going u get to hear a fair bit about his past the story is fast paced and gets u hooked really early on 5 out of 5 stars
Eddie Owens
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Kathy Davie
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, thriller
Third in the Jack Reacher thriller series revolving around a retired military policeman, checking out the country and fixing wrongs. The action starts in Key West, Florida, and veers toward the military thriller end of the spectrum.

My Take
I do love Child's writing. He grabs me and pulls me immediately into the story. The story's basic concept may be a bit of a cliché, but Child has a lovely way of twisting it into something so much more interesting, especially with a character who understands
Stuart
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
"These boots were made for walking..."

There's two things I've learnt about Jack Reacher;

#1 You don't mess with Jack Reacher.

#2 You don't mess with Jack Reacher.

You'd think the villains would have some kind of handbook warning them not to mess with Jack Reacher. The handbook would go something like this;

#1 Jack Reacher

#2 Jack Bauer

#3 George W Bush

#4 The Brother's Grimm

#5 The Ghostbusters

This is the third book in the Jack Reacher series - Tripwire. There's two reason I'm being optimistic about
Judy
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting thriller in the Jack Reacher series. Action packed and suspenseful throughout. A guy disappears in Vietnam and is classified as MIA and Reacher becomes involved in an investigation with what really happened to him.
Elizabeth A
Jun 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
It must be me. There are over 33,000 reviews of this book on GoodReads, and and the average rating is 4.05 stars. This is my third attempt at reading the very popular Jack Reacher series by Lee Child, but I fear that it will be my last. I looked back at my reviews of the first two books in the series, and realize that I have felt this way from the start, but I so wanted to join the fan club of this series that I tried again.

Reacher is digging pools in Key West, when strangers show up looking
Laura Leaney
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: My Dad
For me, this kind of book is always about plot. The characters are unbelievable, clichéd, and much of the dialogue is laughably dumb. But………..the action, the “mystery,” is completely compelling. I had to finish, I had to get to the center of the mystery, and so I read it in something like three days. Pure entertainment of the shallowest kind. I hang my head in shame. I enjoyed it.

I cannot help but compare Jack Reacher to Henning Mankell’s Detective Wallender. I love Wallender because he’s
Jim
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Tripwire is one of the more interesting of the Reacher thrillers. There are several reasons for this - all having to do with Reacher's history and character. In this story his history goes back to active duty in the army, his former CO Leon Garber, and his daughter who enchanted Reacher for no reason other than her mere luminous existence (so it goes in matters romantic). She was strictly off-limits - not because daddy was his CO, but because she was fifteen.

Flash forward a decade-and-a-half.
Max Mulholland
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd novel in the Jack Reacher series and, as I'm reading them in order, the third Reacher novel that I have read. I would note that having read the first three, I don't think they need to be read in order. Reacher's status as a drifter allows the novels to work just fine as stand-alone novels. Aside from Reacher, the characters and locations vary widely making each novel an independent story.

This is a thriller and like many of the genre follows a familiar formula. Reacher reminds me
Around the Year i...: Tripwire, by Lee Child 1 25 Jun 21, 2016 04:56AM
Jack Reacher movie 7 143 May 16, 2013 02:57PM

• Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6)
  • One Good Deed
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Don't Know Jack (Hunt For Reacher, #1)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19)
  • Never Go Back by Lee Child -- Summary and Review
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
  • Bad Luck and Trouble (Jack Reacher, #11)
“People live, and then they die. And as long as they do both things properly, there's nothing much to regret".” 7 likes
“First you spend a lot of time and money making the grass grow, just so you can spend a lot of time and money cutting it down again a little while later.” 5 likes