Start by marking “Close” as Want to Read:

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Close is a novel of family and suspense. Single mom Kik Marcheson is doing the best she can -- but effort doesn’t seem to count for much in the parenting department. Her oldest daughter is swimming in the deep end of adolescence; the middle-child slash good-girl is fraying along the edges; and the baby, a quirky kindergartner, has befriended an imaginary playmate. When a T ...more
Published October 16th 2014 by Harvard Square Editions

To ask other readers questions about Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close

Emily
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to read an advance copy and LOVED it. Close is a very insightful look at a family with three daughters and divorced parents. While trying to get help for the daughters this family experiences a terror that is tangible for the reader. The family dynamic is this novel mimics real life and the humor intertwined throughout rings true.
Close is an easy, engaging read and I highly recommend it!
Hannah Raskin
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book. I didn't even notice I was turning the pages! I can't wait to read Raskin's next book. I'll probably have to read this one a few more times before then though!
Debbie Lickey
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raskin's debut novel is one for all of us who understand the quote "normal is a setting on a washing machine'. Raskin's primary character, Kit, is like so many of us who think that every other family is 'getting it right' while we are blundering our way through parenthood... and life.This delightful book was written with a sense of humor, a nod to reality and recognizes the balance in relationships that can seem all too one sided. At the same time Raskin endears the reader to the good intentions ...more
Deniz
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Close wasn't the kind of book I'd normally read but I still liked it. This book was written from quite a few POVs and that gave the reader perspective on the situation the family was in. Because of this, I feel like different readers will have different opinions about who's fault it was that the things that happened, happened so it's a book that you can really discuss.

It had some humor and at some points, I put the book down and took a minute to just laugh at something one of the characters sai
Ann King
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Close/Erika Raskin
I’ve been an avid follower of Raskin’s writings for many years. I am thrilled that she’s written a novel and I was not disappointed. I was hooked from the first chapter.

It’s the story of divorced parents who are trying to raise their three daughters. There’s a mix of dysfunction and messiness mixed with love and concern (just like with most of us). They find themselves in family therapy and things get really interesting.

Each character is unique, complicated and full of life, l
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just finished Erika Raskin's new book- Closed. I LOVED it!! It's brilliantly written--one of those rare novels that is so accessible yet rich with the deep complexities of being a mother, a parent, a teenager, a professional, a person yearning to do what's best and right and trying to navigate the many obstacles that often overwhelm us. I related to all of the wonderful characters--it's a page-turner. My 14 year-old made me give her an "episode by episode" account each day on what was happenin ...more
Mariah Raskin
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST BOOK EVER! So great for kids in high school!
Greer Gabor
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Equal parts dramatic and comedic, Close is brilliantly written in a fun and relatable way that will pull you in, with a thrilling twist you won't see coming.
Cindy Hudson
The Marcheson family is slowly coming undone. The parents are divorced, and Kik, the mom, is afraid she’s about to lose her teaching job. The oldest daughter is skipping school, doing drugs, and angry most of the time. The middle daughter is cracking under the family stress, and the youngest is precocious. Grasping at straws, they turn to a TV psychologist for help. Just as they are beginning to see improvements, one of the girls goes missing. The crisis will either tear the family apart forever ...more
Maggie
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read an ARC of "Close" and loved it. I found the Marcheson family, their quirks and relationships with each other believable and entertaining. The shifting point of view - between single-mom Kik and her two older daughters Doone and Casey - gives readers insight into the challenges of both parenthood and adolescence. The honesty of their observations made reminded me of John Green's "A Fault In Our Stars." The plot of "Close" is fast-paced and surprising, making it a very enjoyable page-turner ...more
Cynthia Gunnels
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway, I'm so glad that I did. It is a book that kept you wanting to read well into the night. I think that anyone with daughters can relate to this book in some shape or form. This book would also be a great read for teenage girls, it would let them have a good look into the havoc that their actions can produce for all members of their families. All in all i would recommend this book highly. I will look forward to more books in the future from this writer.
Heather
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of Close and this is a fun read. It grabbed my attention in the first chapter and held my attention until the last page. Erika Raskin is cleaver in the way she weaves humor throughout the book, which gives you just the right moment of relief as the story builds in its intensity and suspense. As a lover of Charlottesville it was fun to see the story pictured in this lovely town and read about familiar roads and hangouts. You are going to love Close.
Sarah Bergen
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading an advance copy of Close, I would highly recommend it for any reader! The novel tells a poignant and suspenseful story of the divorced-family dynamic through complex characters, real life struggles of parenting and adolescence, and beautifully executed comic relief. In Close, Erika Raskin weaves a tale that will resonate with both parents and children -it is a book not to be missed!

Emily
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Close is a well-paced yet in depth family study about a quirky divorced family that gets catapulted to reality-TV fame and is left to deal with its fallout. Raskin writes with the compassion of a parent, the keen eye of an anthropologist and the prose of a seasoned novelist. Her characters are well developed and relatable. The story itself has several twists and surprises that'll keep readers guessing and the lights on well past bedtime.
Julia King
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Raskin's book is witty and raw. The characters in the Marcheson family are people we can all relate to. Amidst an unfair share of tragedy they each feel a mishmash of guilt, resentment, anger and fear while still being unconditionally committed to each other. Raskin's ability to describe the lowest moments and only two sentences later have you laughing at a clever quip or revealing metaphor makes this a fast and thought provoking read.
Jill booksandescape
I had the opportunity to read an ARC of Close by Erika Raskin in PDF format.

Close is a magnificent story of a single mother's struggle to raise three daughters; the eldest taking the wrong turn. This novel proves that with the help of family, even the hardest of struggles can be overcome as long as you have each other. With many exciting and shocking moments, this novel is a must-read.
Alex Engels
"Close" features a single mother (Kik) and her three daughters. Doone, the wild oldest child, Casey, the perfect middle child, and Tess, the precocious dessert baby. The Marcheson's represent characters that everyone can relate to. As I delved further into the story, I didn't want to put the book down and I didn't want it to end.
Kate
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. Wonderful. Funny, raw, and heartfelt. The characters just jump off the page and remind me of myself, my friends, my life. I loved them, had empathy for them, forgave them, and wondered at Ms. Raskin's ability to paint such complexity. The story grabbed me and made this a quick, heart-racing read. Great for adults and older teens. Certainly would make a great film, too.
Asa
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the chance to read an advanced copy and absolutely loved this book. Erika Raskin paints a beautiful picture filled with genuine and relatable characters, an incredible family dynamic, and a plot twist that makes it impossible to put the book down.
Andrea
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found Close to be a very engaging novel that drew me in immediately. Erika Raskin's gift for snappy, insightful dialog, combined with quirky, endearing characters makes Close a very quick and enjoyable read.
Carrie
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A family is fractured and turns to extreme measures to put itself together--at the risk of creating more harm. Nice character development, interesting plot twist, and satisfying ending. Good book overall.
Honour
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this book for it's wry humor and insight into the complexity of the feelings of an adolescent in the throes of rebellion. The author's characters were distinctive and true . Close is a good read, never dull, hard to put down!
Jana
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read! Fantastic writing that brings you into the Marcheson family, a three-kid, divorced-parent, Charlottesville-living family. The book is a good balance of each family member's own ups and downs, making you appreciate that loving families aren't all cut from the same mold.
Katie Davis
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Close grabbed me by the heart and thrust me into family love and family heartbreak. Wonderful to read.
And harrowing. This is a book I will not give away.

Katie Davis
Miriam
Sep 01, 2014 added it
I got an advanced copy of the book and loved it it was amazing specially liked the ending and how it all worked out at the end.i recommend this book to everyone its very touching.
Jennifer Armstrong
I ordered this as a Christmas treat for myself as it was written by an extended family member. Once the story got rolling, I couldn't put it down! I'd recommend it for any book club.
Claire King-mercado
I loved this book! It was a fast read, kept me up late at night and crept into my dreams. I highly recommend it and can't wait for the next Erika Raskin book to be published!
Lilian
*I have won this book from Goodreads First Reads*
I am just waiting for the book to arrive so I can read it then review it.
Ann
May 20, 2014
Bradley Campbell
Sep 30, 2014
  • Heads or Tails
  • Tenderling (Dark Season: Series 2, #4)
  • What the Zhang Boys Know
  • Cartboy and the Time Capsule
  • Running Through the Wormhole
  • Understudies
  • Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)
  • Miracles, Inc.
  • The Poet
  • Pacazo
  • Picture Day (Missy's Super Duper Royal Deluxe, #1)
  • Love's Winning Plays: A Novel
  • My Half of the Sky
  • The Other Side of Life
  • The Car Thief
  • Apology
  • Lifemobile
  • The Farther Shore
Erika Raskin grew up to the sound of typewriter music. Her mother, bestselling novelist Barbara Raskin, was a rollicking story-teller who could turn mundane trips to the grocery store into readable high drama. Marcus Raskin, Erika's dad, was an author of non-fiction but still delighted in getting his daughter to make up back-stories of unsuspecting passers-by. She learned at an early age to collec ...more

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99