Start by marking “Leaving the Pack (Silver Nights Trilogy, book 1)” as Want to Read:
Leaving the Pack (Silver Nights Trilogy, book 1)

Leaving the Pack

(Silver Nights Trilogy #1)

Nobody believes in werewolves.
That's just what Paul McHew and his friends are counting on.

They and their kind roam our city streets: a race of people from whom the terrible legend stems; now living among us invisibly after centuries of persecution through fear and ignorance. Superficially Caucasian but physiologically very different, with lunar rhythms so strong that durin
Published May 16th 2014 by Tirgearr Publishing (first published May 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving the Pack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving the Pack

Bittersweet BookReviews
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is a little different than most shifter books I have read. They way O’Brien writes this story and the characters makes it believable. He gives just enough detail to keep you interested and wanting more. This is the perfect start to a trilogy. I look forward to reading more. If you’ve not read this, you should!
Nines
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book, great characters. It catches your attention from the very beginning. I enjoyed the well done descriptions.Nothing to do with other werewolves stories, this one is much better. It is a must.
Sinead Burt
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced novel is utterly compelling from the first sentence. Well written; the science grounds this book about werewolves firmly in reality.
Viviane Crystal
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story opens with Paul waking up by the knowledge that today is the day he will meet the woman with whom he’ll spend the rest of his life. It’s a day he awaits with great joy and mind-numbing fear!
For Paul McHew, lawyer by day and werewolf by night, is the leader of a werewolf pack that runs the local city streets during the three nights of every full moon cycle each month. During that time the pack seeks to drink their fill and enjoy as many women as they can have; they’re full of an extraor
Jenny Boyce
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
As I'm not a fan of romance or books about werewolves, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book very much. I was in for quite a surprise, as this book was engaging, enjoyable, and a fascinating read.

The story follows a young lady, Susan, and a young man, Paul. They meet unexpectedly in a club and fall deeply in love. Unknown to Susan though, Paul is harboring a shocking secret, that he is a werewolf. As Susan and Paul's relationship continues and Paul realizes that Susan is the woman he will settle
Ángela
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story great characters. It catches your attention from the very beginning. Nothing to do with others novel about werewolves. This one is much better. It is a must.
Cathy Geha
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is not the typical shape shifter/werewolf book. I kept waiting and waiting to find out what this author’s take on the werewolf would be and thoroughly enjoyed the unfolding of the history of Paul and his ancestors when it arrived near the end. This is definitely a love story but it also tells of Paul’s strong ties to his “gang” or pack – the group of young men that he spends three nights with every month during the full moon. The author has written a believable story with characters li ...more
Shiela
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, I'd highly recommend this book.
I found this book extremely enjoyable. The characters were very realistic, you really become immersed in their world.
The plot was exciting and fast paced, I was turning the pages to find out what happened next. I am really looking forward to the next chapter of this action packed trilogy.
Pobrien
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not a type of book that I would normally read but did so on the recommendation of a friend. I'm glad I did. Excellent read from the very first chapter and very soon I found myself unable to put it down. Can't wait for the 2nd instalment to be published.
Kate
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hmmn. I thought I was in control of who I choose to “hook up” with. Apparently, the werewolves have set their sites on me, and I am in their spell. All in the name of the full moon. Hmmn.
An interesting take on the werewolf legend, it gives the reader plenty of opportunities to re-think the scores of paranormal romances out there, and lends a new voice to the “pack”.
Superficially, this novel follows a traditional romance – boy meets girl, boy gets girl. Things are rosy until something happens. Th
Abigail
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Leaving the Pack is a solid book that has a well-thought science background and writing that was almost lyrical at times. I would classify this book as lightly paranormal but more of a drama; the romance portion of the book was present but the intimate scenes, which most PNR fans look to read, were fluffy and almost non-existent. As I mentioned, the writing is very good- descriptive and lyrical at times, although there were s
Samaris Creech
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Paul has been the leader of the pack for some time now and knows that soon it will come time for him to settle down and pass the reins onto someone else. He can feel it in the air that his life is going to change tonight. As usual him and his pack meet up and head out to the clubs to blow off a little steam. Susan is sitting at the bar with some of her work mates and starting to question why they came to this particular bar. That is until she spies a group of men walk into the club that exude co ...more
Sherri Bryant
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had a hard time getting into this story. I felt no connection to the characters. The plot felt choppy to me and it seemed like there were enough gaps between scenes, my attention was pulled out of the story. I didn't feel the connection between Paul and Susan was believable to me.

I'm not a big fan of the werewolf genre as a rule but the story may have held my interest more if there was more showing instead of telling.
Kathy Harrington
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, were
I gave it a good effort, 45% but just couldn't finish. Ok, I get that the Weres are just big kids...ok but public destruction of property for fun? Paul goes out on one of his boys night and next paragraph, it's a month or 2 later...umm, did I miss something? And sex??? Well the description in some YA books is more erotic. Yeah... I'm done.
Tirgearr Publishing
Dec 04, 2018
Rosa Arias
Jun 01, 2014
David J. O'Brien
Jun 11, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Samantha
Oct 07, 2018
Brynn
added it
Feb 03, 2019
David is a writer, ecologist and teacher from Dublin, Ireland, now living in Pamplona Spain. He has a degree in environmental biology and doctorate in zoology, specialising in deer biology and is still involved in deer management in his spare time.

As an avid wildlife enthusiast and ecologist, much of David's non-academic writing, especially poetry, is inspired by wildlife and science. While some o

Silver Nights Trilogy (3 books)
  • Leading the Pack (Silver Nights Trilogy, book 2)
  • Unleashing the Pack (Silver Nights Trilogy, book 3)