Start by marking “Wee Sister Strange” as Want to Read:
Wee Sister Strange

Wee Sister Strange

With a lyrical text and gorgeous, ethereal illustrations, here is a mesmerizing and magical original bedtime fairy tale reminiscent of Emily Winfield Martin's Dream Animals, and perfect for reading aloud.

They say there's a girl
Who lives by the woods
In a crooked old house
With no garden but gloom.

She doesn't have parents.
No one knows her name.

But the people in town
Call her
Published September 5th 2017 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Wee Sister Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wee Sister Strange

Start your review of Wee Sister Strange
Hannah Greendale
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book

This delightfully strange picture book features lovely illustrations and an alluring, somber story written in verse.
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is some of the stupidest "poetry" known to man. It is just bad - mostly it doesn't rhyme (except when it does), the regular rhythm is sometimes interrupted by awkward stumbles, and the incessant start of the stanzas/lines: "She climbs" "She drinks" "She drinks" "She talks" "She buries" "She charms" "She rides" "She looks" "She looks" She peels" "She peers" "She dives" "She swims" "She walks" - dull, dull, dull. The story is no great shakes, even with the little twist toward the end.

The
J
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little weird and eerie in a good way. I love that the verse doesn't have strong rhyming words but keeps the rhythm.
Abigail
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fairy-Tale Fans / Readers Looking for Somewhat Offbeat Bedtime Stories
Lyrical text is paired with hauntingly beautiful artwork in Wee Sister Strange, an eerie bedtime tale that follows its eponymous young heroine as she searches through the woods for... something. But as she charms fierce bears, peels back the clouds and dives deep into the bog, the question remains: what is she looking for?

The picture-book debut of author Holly Grant, better known as the creator of The League of Beastly Dreadfuls novel series, this lovely volume is written in verse form,
KC
The illustrations are dreamy and soft the text a bit eerie and although a bit disjointed, it stays within rhythm.
Clare Bird
The storyline was meh, but enjoyed the art.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely, dreamy illustrations and a metaphorically rich text.
Kaila
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, beautiful-books
I love this book. The perfect mixture of spooky and charming. I want to be wee sister strange.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. It definitely added to the over all feel of the book's charming mix of whimsical, pagan like, and spooky. The story is told in rhyming, though it's not a strong rhyming. It's just enough the keep the reader entertained. Overall, this is a book I really enjoyed. I liked that the story focused on a girl who loves to hear stories, including those that are about her. The illustrations were definitely my favorite part of this picture book.

Deborah Embury
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a (kind of surprisingly) soothingly eerie picture book! It has darkish moments where Sister Strange buries old bones, swims in slimy bogs, and peers in the readers window, but all these elements that could be slightly scary for a kid are made enjoyable with the rhyme pattern, lovely art, and comfy forest ending. The only thing that actually super creepy is the illustration of the bear's face- DAMN. That bear looks soulless and I don't like it...
Brenda Lower
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The rhyming was a bit forced at times, but I loved the illustrations!
Mary
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautifully poetic with rich vocabulary for children. The rhymes are the only component that is lacking, and it is hard to get around that because some rhymes work really well and others really do not. Overall, the presentation is excellent and it will speak to some readers in a very profound way.
Kelly
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one. I already liked K.G. Campbell's illustrations. I thought this was really interesting from Holly Grant. A unique story. I liked that the stanzas had rhythm but she didn't feel the need to make them rhyme. Possible Mock Caldecott.
Cristina
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: luna-land
Strange little story with lovely autumn illustrations.
Read  Ribbet
Poetically presented night time tale. Good mentor text for classroom writers and nice bedtime read for home. The circular structure and word choices are good models for young writers. The verses will make it an easier book for kids to read together.
Jason
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like if the story kept going, I'd turn the page and it would read, "And then, when she's sure EVERYone's asleep, she'll sneak in and STEAL ALL YOUR SOULS." There's nothing that's not creepy about a bear-riding, underwater-breathing, little white girl living by herself in the woods, if we're being completely honest...
Krys
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations, vaguely pagan feel to it. An unconventional girl and her quest for hearing stories, even her own. Rhyming.
Rita
I found the illustrations in this book enchanting. I also love rhyming books and there was just something different about this book that stands out.

Tasha
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wee Sister Strange is a girl who lives by herself by the woods in an old house. She spends time in the woods when others won’t be there. She enjoys the moon and the dark. She talks to the owls and buries the bones from their meals. She rides on the back of a ferocious bear. She climbs trees as wolves prowl below. She dives deep into the water of the bog looking at snail shells. Then a bright window beckons her closer. There is the reader, snug in bed reading this book! And Wee Sister Strange ...more
Gmr
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
That was... unusual.

While the artwork was captivating for one reason (beautiful!) or another (scary... did you SEE that bear?!?), the story itself was as strange as the title... especially when it wraps in upon itself in a curious twist. I admit, my facial expressions were probably mirroring the little dog in the book towards the end, as I struggled to make sense of this or that, while my eyebrows were must definitely drawn in consternation as l at the peculiar rhyme scheme.

In the end, I can
Barbara
Watercolor and colored pencil illustrations complement an eerie poem story about a spritely child in search of a bedtime story. The author uses lyrical language to put readers in Wee Sister Strange's world ["She drinks up the moon / Like a cat drinking cream. / She drinks up the dark / Like it's tea with the queen" (unpaged), for instance] while the images show her searching desperately for something it isn't revealed until near the end of the book. Readers will surely feel sorry for this fey ...more
Juli Anna
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the illustrations and the character of Wee Sister Strange here. I have always loved stories about "wild" children, and this had potential. However, as is so common with this trope, this story's ending made it clear that wild children are not enough on their own, and that they are only made whole by the imposition of traditional domestic mores. This is always an uncreative and unsatisfying ending for me.
My other peeve with this story was in the "rhymed" verse. I first thought that the
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Grant, Holly Wee Sister Strange, Illustrated by K.G. Campbell. PICTURE BOOK. Schwartz & Wade Books, 2017.

Wee Sister Strange contentedly lives in the woods by herself, wandering around in a gorgeous dreamy land where she talks to owls, tames and rides and bears, but yet she’s searching for something. She finally happens upon a house, listens to a bedtime story through the window and curls up happily to sleep in a pile of leaves.

While it could be kind of a dark story, the lyrical text and
Cecilia
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Strange is right. There are times when this book slips into uncanny valley. Is there a reason everyone has demon-yellow eyes? The rhymes are a bit forced at times so reading it aloud can feel a little embarrassing. The plot doesn't show up until over halfway through the story, and it doesn't really make much sense with what has been established with Wee Sister Strange.

I did like the strange but vivid descriptions that popped up from time to time. "She drinks up the dark like it's tea with the
mary dewley
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tale of "Wee Sister Strange" has an eerie quality about it. It is gorgeous and untamed, a wonderful read for Fall. A story within a story about a feral child who lives in what can only be described as a magical wood. One night, she comes across a house she had never seen before. Inside a mother reads a bedtime story to her child. The story is that of Wee Sister Strange. Wee Sister Strange curls up under the window sill and begins to fall asleep. The terrified look on the family dog's face is ...more
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Looking for a bedtime story for that child who likes slightly spooky things? The dark, moonlit illustrations follow Wee Sister Stranger as she searches all over for something...but what?

I really enjoyed the adventure in this book as Wee Sister Strange searches all over and does things like tame bears. But I also think it's a calm enough story that I can see kids and parents cuddling up together to read it at night.

-dmz
Brenda
Illustrator, K.G. Campbell creates illustrations that are softly muted, yet somehow startling at times so that readers might inhabit the magical world inspired by Holly Grant's lyrical offering. Children will be enchanted by both the tale and pictures. I recommend this title for school and public libraries who are seeking more imaginative literature for younger listeners & readers.
Rebecca Dickinson
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked it, especially the artwork. I liked the poetry as well but it was kind of weird that most of it rhymed and every so often it.. wouldn't.. kindof throws off the flow but I thought it was beautiful none the last. And the fact that she's just in search of a bedtime story is pretty adorable especially when considering she's alone and it's only one simple thing she seeks.
Alice
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the pictures (illustrations) are fantastic! I loved each page! The story... well I don't do fantasy all that well so I didn't love it. I was hoping the Wee Sister Strange was really Daughter nature. She has no name and no parents.. that is sad :-( It isn't magical for me, it is gloomy!
But again.. the illustrations... LOVELY!
Meredith
Wee Sister Strange is a cross between a witchling and a faerie child. She lives in a Baba Yaga-esque cottage in the woods and doesn’t fear the dark or any nighttime creatures. But she does enjoy a human bedtime story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• La La La: A Story of Hope
  • The Antlered Ship
  • Why Am I Me?
  • When's My Birthday?
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange: (Cute Children's Books, Preschool Rhyming Books, Children's Humor Books, Books about Friendship)
  • Robinson
  • City Moon
  • Winter Dance
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • The Little Red Cat Who Ran Away and Learned His ABC's (the Hard Way)
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • The Pomegranate Witch