Start by marking “Pedagogy of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Pedagogy of the Heart

Pedagogy of the Heart

This book represents some of the last writings by Paulo Freire, who has been acclaimed one of the most important educators of the twentieth century. Pedagogy of the Heart is filled with Freire's reminiscences of his early life and meditations "under my mango tree." These meditations include discussions of solitude and community, the limit of the Right, neoliberals and ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published December 12th 1971)

Start your review of Pedagogy of the Heart
Akash Ahuja
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very challenging book, and I'm not terribly sure what I got out of it, but there were some moments that were truly profound
dirt
May 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: the popular class
The ideas in this book are as dense as the words. Here is a quote I especially liked:

"no one is old just because he or she was born a long time ago or you because he or she was born a short time ago. People are old or young much more as a function of how they think of the world, the availability they have for curiosity, giving themselves to knowledge."

you are only old once you stop learning.
Allison
This man is so smart. Might be a good idea to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed, first. My professor helped explain a lot of things that I may not have understood having not read the first book.
Marciano Flores
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. It touches deep down into activist educators everywhere!
Greg Garcia
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: educators, students, philosophers, political activists, the oppressed
In Pedagogy of the Heart, Freire reveals several of his meditations on the relationship between education and political struggle. It is both a powerful and challenging book - challenging in the dual sense that it can be difficult to read, but also in the sense that the message you extract from his writings invites you to take action.

This quote struck me as being powerful:

"The learning of tolerance takes place through testimony. Above all, it implies that, while fighting for my dream, I must not
Ali epperson
Jan 13, 2010 marked it as to-read

I believe that the original title of this book translated from Portuguese was Under the Shade of this Mango Tree. Based on that title alone, I love it. I am half-way through this book and am enjoying the challenge as much as Pedagogy of the Oppressed. Love Freire.
Joy
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A progressive thinker, Freire explains his position on the responsibility of people to overcome oppressive behavior. There is an undertone of human decency that leans toward his faith that is evident in this book that I haven't seen as strongly articulated as in his other books.
Shadwa Zaher

• Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
  • Killing Rage: Ending Racism
  • Eating Fire: My Life as a Lesbian Avenger
  • Rethinking Ethnic Studies
  • The Words of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Akata Witch (Akata Witch, #1)
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Best We Could Do
  • Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo"
  • This America: The Case for the Nation
  • Kindness and Wonder: Why Mister Rogers Matters Now More Than Ever
  • Going to Meet the Man
  • Mom & Me & Mom
The Brazilian educator Paulo Freire is among most the influential educational thinkers of the late 20th century. Born in Recife, Brazil, on September 19, 1921, Freire died of heart failure in Sao Paulo, Brazil on May 2, 1997. After a brief career as a lawyer, he taught Portuguese in secondary schools from 1941-1947. He subsequently became active in adult education and workers' training, and became ...more