Start by marking “Masquerade” as Want to Read:
Masquerade

Masquerade

It's the Carnevale of 1750 and Venice's ballrooms, theatres, palazzos and squares are filled with delicious gossip, devilish fun and dangerous games. In this glittering masked world, everyone has a secret...

Set in an age of decadence made famous by Casanova, Masquerade uncovers the secrets of seven teens, from the highest aristocrat to the lowest servant – their dreams, de
Published July 23rd 2014 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Masquerade, please sign up.
Kylie This book is awesome! I'll even say it in Italian: Questo libro è impressionante! (at least that's what Google tells me is the Italian translation).
I…more
If you like secrets, gossip, forbidden romances, mistaken and hidden identities, boys dressed as girls, girls dressed as boys, wittily bickering lovers, secret assignations, family mysteries, balcony scenes, sword fights, heroes of both sexes, villains and fools then Masquerade is for you!
(less)

Start your review of Masquerade
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

After all the positive 4-5 star reviews that started rolling in for Masquerade, I definitely was expecting something that was going to blow me right off my feet. I think, I set myself up for too much because after reading this book, I felt rather underwhelmed. However, this is not to say I didn't enjoy Masquerade--the setting and plot line were brilliantly written.

Masquerade centres around 7 teenagers in Venice of the year 1750 during the Carnevale. For the 3
C.G. Drews
I was dubious for the start...but by the end? It won me over completely.

Masquerade is a historical drama set in 1750 in Venice. You know what this means, right? MASKS AND CARNEVALE. I've always been mildly fascinated by Italy because a) I'm part Italian and b) they have freakishly good food. And the whole mask thing? That sounds terrific to me. (I'm shy. Hiding = my favourite.) And Venice?! Oh the book so did it justice. Truman Capote describes Venice like this: "Venice is like eating an entire
Cassie
This book was awesome.
I'll admit, I wasn't a huge fan to begin with, but it wasn't even 100 pages in before I began to love it...and then I didn't stop loving it.
Full review found here: http://cassietheweird.wordpress.com/2...
Kristy (Book Nerd Reviews)
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
The world is a stage, filled with many acts – acts of love, loyalty, betrayal and deception. And Masquerade has it all, plus more.

Masquerade eloquently, and expertly, follows the lives of seven teenagers during the Carnevale of Venice in 1750-1751. Orelia is an orphan who has arrived in Venice to learn about her mother’s past. Veronica and Angelique are the daughters of an aristocrat, one sister likes to learn secrets, while the other is desperate to love. Anna is a servant with a dream far from
Emma Ruth
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
No. No. No. No. No. NO! My first thought upon turning the final page of Masquerade. I refuse to believe in this ending. I get it's probably more realistic than the one I was imagining but I feel like a part of me has been torn from my body. Here we have one of the rare occasions in which I cry upon a book ending, because it ended. I quickly fell in love with Masquerade. I loved the multiple points of view and the complexity of the characters and their their story lines. I loved being pulled into ...more
Emily Mead
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
WELL THIS WAS AWESOME. I shouldn't have doubted your advice, Aussie blogglings. Kylie Fornasier knows how to make Venice come alive. I wasn't TOO fussed with all the romance-y stuff, but I mean, that's my fault (the blurb does indeed mention a lot of romance).

Basically, this book made me want to read more historical fiction - if only all of it was as good as this.

___________________________________

Masquerade by Kylie Fornasier is set in Venice. I did not read it in Venice, but I DID read it in
Tamara
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
First off, I haven't found many books where I actually enjoy multiple POV's, this book is the exception, possibly the only one so far.

Something I particularly loved about this book was how it seemed to break all the "Young Adult" stereotypes that everyone loves to hate, this book was different and it was definitely a good kind of different.

I want more.

Also, I'm probably not very coherent because it's late, and my gosh.

AUSTRALIAN PRIDE
Penny Morrison
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
A realistic setting has never felt so magical.

When is the sequel coming out? I can't wait.
The Book Queen
This looks good! (Well, it had me at Venice. Anything set in Venice, and I'm in.)
Sass
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Anika Claire
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listen to mine and Philippa's joint audio review of Masquerade - part of episode 11 of Tea in the Treetops Podcast.

In summary, Masquerade reminded us of a Shakespearean comedy. We loved the confusion, the costumes and the characters, and all the amazing detail about Carnevale and life in Venice at the time. It’s one of our favourite reads of this year for sure!
Neisha
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My VIDEO:

:D
If you don't already have this book though... What are you doing???
Just kidding, but seriously you want this book.
Nomes
Masquerade by Kylie Fornasier is an Aussie YA debut set in 1750 Venice during the Carnivale. It came to me highly recommended by a real life reader buddy who said it was really good and different to anything else she had read. I am so glad for that rec, as a few chapters in I was not sure Masquerade was 'my kind' of book (I was not looking for a Gossip Girl-esque book set in a different era, which I had thought this might be due to the blurb). Oh, man, thankfully I set in for the long haul and e ...more
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
Find this review and others on my blog Tea in the Treetops!

It's just a mini review today as I promised Angelya we would do a proper review/discussion of this one in our podcast next week as she's still reading it.

Anyone who listens to our podcast will most likely know that ever since attending PTA Live Brisbane earlier in the year I have been intrigued by this book, it ticked a lot of boxes for me. I had given up on having a shot at a review copy originally as I didn't see it appear on Netgalley
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Set in 1750 Venice, Masquerade is a sweeping, atmospheric story filled with love, drama and mystery during the month of the Carnevale. It features multiple points of views from seven teenagers, including a mysterious newcomer, aristocrats and servants, offering a varied viewpoint within a beautiful historical Venetian setting.

Masquerade needs to be read slowly to absorb the beauty and detail of Venice during the 1750s. The po
Renée
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Masquerade is the twisting story of seven teenagers living in Venice in the 1700s and how their lives interact and revolve around gossip, traditions and expectations of class. However, during Carnevale, you never know exactly who is behind the mask and plot twists and interweaving relations between the families, classes and individuals cause misconceptions and troubles for all.

The amount of research done into Masquerade made for a very detailed, believable and realistic view of Venice at the tim
Ely
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at A Book So Fathomless.

I first heard about Masquerade at PTA Live (Penguin Teen Australia) earlier this year. Not only did I love the cover – purple is my favourite colour, but the story sounded amazing. Granted, it took me a little while to actually get to this (those damn book buying bans!) but I’m so glad I did.

I’ve only ever read one other book set in Renaissance Venice, which was Venom – the stories are pretty different, but I have to say I think I actually liked Masquer
NicoleHasRead
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Masquerade is the masterful debut from Australian author Kylie Fornasier. It starts, Shakespeare style, with the list of characters, and the Shakespearean theme runs quite heavily through the book. Elements of The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet, The Taming of the Shrew and others are present in the story. I loved picking out these elements, it felt like an inside joke between the author and me.

Masquerade follows the fate of a group of Venice's teenaged population
K.
3.5 stars. It's hard to know what to say about this book. It's essentially the story of...seven? eight??...18-21 year old kids in eighteenth century Venice during Carnevale. Although based on that description in the blurb, it sounds like they're all friends and travelling around as a group when that couldn't be further from the truth. Some are nobility, some are servants. But all of them have secrets. Major secrets.

The setting was absolutely glorious. It felt rich and sumptuous and Venice was b
Kandyb
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
As much as I didn't think i was going to, I really enjoyed this book. I loved reading from all the different points of view, all their seperate lives, adventures and secrets. I only wish that there could have been more about each of the characters.

It was so descriptive and well researched that each time I opened my book, I felt like I was stepping into this beautiful, magic, mysterious world of Carnevale.

I did think it took a little while to get into the story and I was abit on the fence to star
Catherine Pelosi
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading Masquerade was like stepping through a gold-gilded door and arriving at a fabulous party during Carnavale.I loved spending time in this world, filled with rich characters and a page-turning plot. As I neared the end I didn't want to leave. Venice is a truly fascinating backdrop and holds as many secrets and layers as the characters themselves. A good story will transport the reader, this book does exactly that. Grab your mask and enjoy.
L.L. Hunter
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of my fave reads of the year! Masquerade is a debut novel from a fellow Aussie author that is so unique, well written and well researched that I have no doubt it will become a hit in no time. It is sexy in the less-is-more way, the meeting of two sets of eyes across a crowded ballroom... Sigh! Everyone must check out Masquerade!
Wai Chim
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully descriptive. The characters and setting comes to life and captures your imagination. A wonderfully spun tale of intrigue, mystery and mischief.
Bree T
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
It is 1750 in the glittering city of Venice, Italy and the spectacle that is Carnevale is just about to get underway. Orelia Rossetti is new to Venice, a stranger to the city. She’s lost everything and now she seeks answers, finding her way to the home of her uncle, Giovanni Contarini, a powerful senator. He takes her in under the proviso that she never admit to anyone that she is his niece – instead she is to claim that she is his goddaughter, an orphan from Rome.

Giovanni’s daughter Angelique l
Calzean
Top marks for the writing, story lines and detailed research. I had not realised the draconian world of Venice where there were laws on what could be worn, who could marry who or the Murano glass makers were banned from leaving their island home. And against this, the Venetians partied hard for five months during Carnevale wearing masks to hide their identities so that all of the draconian laws could be broken and secrets hidden.
I found it a bit hard to believe that Orelia, an 18 year old countr
Kat Mullen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

To start, I read the updated version from Amazon, not the original printed edition.

I loved the world of this book! Someone please take me to Venice! Orelia and Veronica were my favourite point of views. And there were a lot of point of views.

I really don’t know how I feel about the ending though. We experience so much with the characters, and it’s a standalone but I feel like we didn’t get any closure.
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brmasquerade
Finished reading: July 27th 2015
Rating 2

“Venice is a stage, Orelia. Pretend for no other reason than to act like everybody else.”

(view spoiler)
Angel - Angel Reads
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-oz-ya
Review originally posted on Angel Reads
First Line: In a city shrouded in secrets, it was only fitting that Orelia’s first vie of Venice was shrouded in fog.

I received an e-arc of Masquerade by Kylie Fornasier from Netgalley by Penguin Teen Australia. This in no way has influenced my review.
I have been reading so many amazing books lately and Masquerade was nothing less. I absolutely adored Masquerade. I could not put it down at any moment, I was reading both in between classes and in class. It
❁Kate
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love seeing young authors (especially Australian ones) publishing their books and I congratulate Kylie Fornasier. This book was a refreshing read for me. My usual choice of books are often set in futuristic or urban settings so reading about the past was a nice break-especially since it was set in Venice. It is evident that a wide variety of research has been put into the book. All the Italian terms and language phrases really built on a nice atmosphere that helped capture Venice in all ...more
Kate
Arriving in Venice on the eve of Carnevale , Orelia Rossetti has no interest in fancy dresses and elaborate masks. She’s in the City of Bridges to find answers about her late mother. Her uncle takes her in on the condition she tell no one – not even her cousins – her true identity. Posing as his god-daughter, Orelia finds herself swept up in the mystique of Venice’s carnival. Her cousins Angelique and Veronica introduce her to the world of masks and balls but Orelia finds the masquerade extends ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lisa's YA Book Club : Masquerade by Kylie Fornasier 1 8 Oct 14, 2014 01:04PM

• Scatterlings
  • Saving Mona Lisa: The Battle to Protect the Louvre and Its Treasures During World War II
  • The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
  • The Door Into Summer
  • Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk
  • Beastly (Beastly, #1; Kendra Chronicles, #1)
  • Four Seasons in Rome: On Twins, Insomnia, and the Biggest Funeral in the History of the World
  • The Wife of Martin Guerre
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • Things a Map Won't Show You: Stories from Australia & Beyond
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Rubinrot (Edelstein-Trilogie, #1)
  • Amelia Westlake
  • Justice
  • Manhattan Mayhem: New Crime Stories from Mystery Writers of America
  • Montana 1948
  • Wisteria Witches (Wisteria Witches, #1)
  • The Diaries of Adam and Eve
As a teacher librarian, Kylie Foransier is in touch with what kids like to read, as well as being passionate about helping them enjoy that reading experience as much as she can. Kylie has won a number of writing awards, and already has a published chapter book and a soon-to-be published picture book with other major publishers. She is a strong believer in practicing what she preaches when it comes ...more