Start by marking “Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive” as Want to Read:
Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  9,388 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Small changes can make a big difference in your powers of persuasion.

What one word can you start using today to increase your persuasiveness by more than fifty percent?
Which item of stationery can dramatically increase people's responses to your requests?
How can you win over your rivals by inconveniencing them?
Why does knowing that so many dentists are named Dennis improve
Published June 10th 2008 by Free Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Yes!, please sign up.
David Tenemaza Kramaley Well if we are honest with ourselves, you can't really prove anything in this world at all right :) Science or no science. Prove is too strong a…moreWell if we are honest with ourselves, you can't really prove anything in this world at all right :) Science or no science. Prove is too strong a wrong, but the psychology of this book is probably right. Although I'd recommend other books on the subject, instead of this.(less)

Dooley
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good friend recommended this book one night over dinner and raised an interesting premise as to why he chose to read the subject matter: "I didn't read it to learn how to persuade people. I read it to learn how people were trying to persuade me." That concept resonated with me. Almost immediately, I purchased Yes! and added it to my Kindle. In effect, my friend's persuasive reasoning as to why I should read this book taught/reminded me the many number of ways that people are attempting to pers ...more
Gordon
Nov 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The main author of this book is, I assume, Robert Cialdini, though it has two other co-authors. Cialdini is considered the godfather of the study of persuasion, or as he calls it, "influence". This book is a summary of his research in the field, nicely captured in only 232 pages.

"Yes" is mainly targeted at the business reader, but I suspect that just about anyone who ever has to use persuasion or exert influence would find it useful.

His six principles of effective persuasion and influence are:

Tomas Ramanauskas
Title promises things it doesn't deliver. You won't learn a lot about persuasion, but you'll know a few real life behaviorism anecdotes to tell to your friends during dinner. Especially, about what three words can deliver fortune and why hotels get the environmental towel message wrong. A light, quick airport read.
Ashley   Jaden
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
If you want to learn about persuasion, then Robert Cialdini is your man. However, I wasn't quite as enamored with Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive as I was when I first read Cialdini's ground-breaking Influence many years ago.

Yes!, which is co-authored by Noah Goldstein and Steve Martin (not the actor), is a collection of fifty persuasion techniques. Each technique is based on at least one psychology study, and all of the studies are listed in a chapter-by-chapter basis in th
Alya
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
I find it a bit uncomfortable how I have this book 2 stars, despite it serving its purpose and explaining the methodology in a fairly good way. However, I found myself getting bored halfway through and I couldn't wait to finish and rid of it. The writing style was dull and it affected my overall reading experience sadly.
Eric Montag
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating book. What I liked most about it was the fact that each of the 50 items mentioned was backed up by science. The book is not just a collection of things that sound like they would probably work. For most of the 50 "secrets," the book gives a brief description of the experiment that was designed to test the secret's validity. The description of each secret was not overly long, and provided just enough information to satisfy my curiosity. Definitely worth a read for anyone wh ...more
Michelle
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
From the time I discovered How to Win Friends and Influence People, I've been interested in learning about the power of persuasion. How to ethically make someone agree with you. Whether or not any of the techniques are put into place, this is an interesting book for anyone interested in psychology. It discusses things like why some PSAs have the opposite results than the ones intended -- more litterers, more energy use, more natural resources stolen -- why post-it notes really get people's atten ...more
Mel Kettle
Had some great ideas but wasn't as good as I expected. Is a good book to dip in and out of.
Steven Wedgeworth
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is more about sales and marketing than speaking (or preaching). It has some helpful advice, but a lot of it is fairly intuitive or commonly known (in my experience, at least). It's not written in an overly entertaining and engaging way, and I'm not sure you'd ever need to re-read it. Not bad, but not amazing.
Saikhnaa Ch
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Collection of 50 short stories on how to get Yes ethically. Highly recommend for anyone to read. Some good strategies to try on, some good ones which you are tried on at some point of life, etc. will do longer review later this month.
Matt Hutson
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I hope you enjoy the review and pick up the book somewhere. Enjoy the picture of my daughter too!

Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
By: Noah J. Goldstein, Steve J. Martin and Robert B. Cialdini

BookMattic's Rating:
5/5 Stars

Goodreads' Rating:
3.97/5 Stars

'Yes!' Is a very persuasive book that is all about persuading people! If you want to learn more about how people are persuaded not just directly but also indirectly and some simple tips that you can apply for almost anything in any
Jeff Yoak
I don't normally comment on books in progress, but this one has a terrible snake oil start to it. You might think that "Yes!" is the important word in the title, but the author makes it very clear that it is "scientifically." He makes a point of telling us, probably 50 times, that this is science. Science. SCIENCE! It's a shame with so much science on this topic, that everyone ignores it. No need to take his word on this, this is science! Et ceterea and at unfortunate length. When he finally bro ...more
Laila Al Mulki
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
الكتاب يعرض مجموعة من النصائح لتسويق منتجك أو فكرتك، قرأت ملخصه للرائع رؤوف شبايك. ضروري جداً كمنتج أن تدرس التسويق ولكن من المفيد كمستهلك أيضاً أن تكتشف خفايا عالم التسويق لتتعلم الأساليب التي تستخدمها الشركات في إقناعك لشراء منتجها.
Hesham Barakat
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not bad, put i would recommend to read Influence: Pshycology of persuasion instead, as the core of the 2 books are almost identical
Ahmad Badghaish
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بشكل بسيط ومختصر, 50 طريقة للإقناع أو للتسويق بشكل أكبر

رائع الكتاب لمن يهتم بافتتاح مشروع شخصي
Natasha Lasensky
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any business person. The consumer behavior examples in this book can be applied to any industry or job.
Nicholas
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Nathan
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Cialdini's Influence book, but this one left me cold. It's written as 50 two page essays, rather like an anthology of blog posts. Consequently it doesn't dive deep into anything, just presents 50 case studies or psych studies showing an aspect of influence and suggests how they might be used in a modern business. I was frustrated by the lack of detail--all too often we heard about something awesome ("X made people buy more") but didn't learn how much more, how many people, or what might n ...more
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
I've had this book on my list for a while now and am pleased to have been able to check it out today from All Ears Audio Books. This book is an overview of psychological patterns associated with positive Yes!-type of statements. In tweaking presentations very slightly, we can improve our success in eliciting others to purchase, agree, take action, or other choices.
The techniques taught within this book are ethical and moral, so no manipulation or taking advantage of others for our own benefit i
Juan
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
On method #25, so far the methods are interesting, and I've had the opportunity to use some of them...but the authors try to be too clever. Chapters are labeled with questions such as "When does a bonus become an onus?", "Does it behave like bread or like wine?" and "How can you become a Jedi master of persuasion?". Sometimes the chapters are filled with so much anecdotal information regarding the sociological studies done to support their methods that you're not even sure what the method is!
The
Pubudu Wariyapola
A reasonably good pop-psych book - written by Goldstein, but (I guess) with help from Caldini and Martin (director of Caldini's UK office).

A very cursory treatment of a variety of influence techniques - with some research cited, but not in-depth enough to truly understand the science behind the recommendations. Often moves from the science to speculation and theory - and even when scientific research is cited often misconstrues correlation/causation and/or overly generalizes the research to make
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, because I am a firm believer in short chapters that are intriguing, and that is what this book offers. I also love how well-researched it is, so that you know the methods actually lead to a statistic difference in persuasion. Some of these methods of persuasion will shock you, and you will find some of them creeping into your life as you try to convince people of your message.
Peter
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did think that Cialdini's famous "Influence" was more valuable for studying the underlying principles in depth, and would highly recommend that book to anyone. "Yes!" covers much of the same material more briefly. However this is still a quick and interesting read, with some great examples. One of the chapters in this book helped us boost response rates by around 20% with a simple change to our marketing!
Chris Conrey
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Good short snippets as reminders. Would be great as a 50 track audio book or similar that you could listen to a randome one a day if you're into that sort of thing. Builds on a ton of other sources that you've likely already read if you are in sales or psychology. A good refresher/reminder but not a great standalone
Chad Allen
Jul 07, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is the watered-down crappy version of Influence, which is a fine book. Read Influence and skip this. Also note that it's not the same book as "Getting to Yes" which is also a fine book.
Matt Fox
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
It's a rehash of Influence chunked into smaller pieces. Read Influence by Cialdini instead. Same stories, better quality information.
Hoonie
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The author of this book is smart I think, Good job ~!
Bryan
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Comment deleted: It was brought to my attention that I posted a comment for a different book here.
Jeff
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I was excited to read this book as Influence by Cialdini is a top 5 book of mine. While this is a good book, it didn't offer much insight beyond Influence and is almost redundant. Like Influence, this book is about making small changes to the way requests are made as to get drastically different results. This is a book of examples/anecdotes which exemplify and validate what I consider to be the original, Influence and if you've already read it, you can skip this one. Here are some examples:
-Peop
Maya
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
  • Changing Minds: The Art And Science of Changing Our Own And Other People's Minds
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • How to Get People to Do Stuff: Master the Art and Science of Persuasion and Motivation
  • Tell to Win: Connect, Persuade, and Triumph with the Hidden Power of Story
  • Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
  • Get Back in the Box: Innovation from the Inside Out
  • Persuasion: The Art of Influencing People
Noah Goldstein is a protege of Cialdini's. He is an assistant professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business. He earned a Ph.D. in psychology under Robert Cialdini at Arizona State University in 2007, and he has published research with Cialdini in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
More about Noah J. Goldstein

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $4.99 $1.49
    $4.99 $1.99
  • I Suck at Girls
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems
    $11.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“when fate gives us lemons, we should try to make lemonade, not apple juice.” 0 likes
“One type of card required eight stamps to receive a free car wash, with no stamps attached to the card. The other stated that ten stamps were needed to receive the free wash, but two stamps were already affixed to the card. This meant that both cards required eight washes to receive the reward, but the second group seemed well on its way to completing the card with 20 percent of the stamps needed for the free wash.” 0 likes