Start by marking “Obsidian (Lux, #1)” as Want to Read:

Obsidian

(Lux #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  199,579 ratings  ·  16,545 reviews
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get alon
Published May 8th 2012 by Entangled: Teen (first published November 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Obsidian, please sign up.
Wray Every paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight…moreEvery paranormal romance/fantasy book is going to have similarities to Twilight. You know why? Because Twilight is in that genre! I have read Twilight and while in the beginning there are similarities; this book is nothing like Twilight. For one it's actually a decent, well thought out story and the main character Katy is actually likable! She's not an annoying damsel in distress like Bella, she actually has a bark to her bite. She quickly became one of my favorite protagonists. The Lux series is wonderful, please do not compare it to the trash in Twilight. Jennifer Armentrout can actually write.(less)
Jenna C I just started reading this... its okay but i have read SO much better books. If you are in need for a good series i recommend "The Mortal…moreI just started reading this... its okay but i have read SO much better books. If you are in need for a good series i recommend "The Mortal Instruments" these books are amazing! the first book is the "City of Bones"(less)

·  199,579 ratings  ·  16,545 reviews

Emily May
Nov 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not long ago, someone I know got into a really bad relationship. It was the kind of relationship where the guy was a pretty-faced douchebag who would tell her he loved her one minute and the next he would be making snide remarks about her weight and about her career, or standing her up when they were supposed to be going somewhere. But the worst part of this relationship wasn't him, it was my friend.

Everyone she knew, including me, warned her away from him, told her he was bad and that she dese
Jennifer Armentrout
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Since I wrote it, I kind of think it deserves 5 stars. =)
Sasha Alsberg
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Aliens, hot aliens? DAEMON BLACK???? YES PLEASE!
Loved this book, read it in 2012 but decided to come back and write a review for it. This is actually the book that made me start book blogging!
Zoë
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

This book was such a quick, fun read! I haven't read an alien book before, and I found these aliens to be so interesting. Katy was a great main character and I LOVED that she had a book blog. It was a little repetitive at times and the constant bickering between Katy and Daemon, although funny and filled with sexual tension, was almost too much sometimes. However, I'm invested in this story now I will be picking up the next book sometime in the future!
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

“I have a strange idea that I should test this out.”
“Test what?” My eyes dropped to his lips. I felt myself sway.
“I think you would like to know.” He moved closer, his hand sliding up my arm and resting carefully at the nape of my neck.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Well, now I know why this series is so popular :)
It took me one scene, meeting Daemon, to completely fall in love with him/the book. And it just got better and better! I literally couldn't stop reading and ended up finishing it in the same day I started.
Well tha
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
All my ratings have been pretty high lately, mostly because I choose very carefully what to read next. I value my time too much to purposely read books I know I won’t like. So what on earth possessed me to pick up this book after the Half-Blood debacle, I have no idea.

Most of my friends loved Obsidian and I respect that, I really do. I can even see why, the ingredients are all there: a gorgeous, mean guy and a plain, book-nerdish girl, a love-hate relationship between our protagonists, hero’s p
Katerina
Alien. I fell in love with a freaking alien. Not one of those greeny three-eyed creatures but still he is extraterrestrial life. As if book boyfriends from this galaxy weren't enough.

“Welcome to West Virginia, the land of lost models.”

There was something off with this little Virginia town Katy was forced to move in. Strange things happened, people were supposed to light up like Christmas trees and there was gossip about Men in Black lurking in the streets. And things got even weirder when Ka
Nick
5 WHOLE INSANE STARS!

One of the best books I have ever read and also the best series starter I know.

I have read this series and I must say it gets better and better.But believe me it starts GREAT.The story is interesting and keeps you thrilled the whole time.The characters are smoky cool.I could relate so much to this book (beside the alien thing).

Me while reading the book :

“You look like you got more of a bath than the car. I never
thought washing a car would be so hard, but after watching
Steph Sinclair
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I don't know. I just don't know.
Recommended to Steph by: Tons of avatars on Twitter

Actual rating: 3.5 (I think? Geez, I don't know! I just know I liked it a lot, okay?)

Wow. I did not expect to enjoy Obsidian as much as I did. For some reason, I've just been avoiding it, but it was always there in my Twitter and GoodReads feeds. Daemon was frickin' invading my life. Finally, after seeing everyone change their avatars to the Lux series' covers, I felt I had to check it out. Almost all of my friends have given this book anywhere from 3-5 stars, but most averaging around 4. So nat
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I want to believe.

I really do. Just following the news these days is enough to make one lose faith in humanity. I really want to believe that there is something out there, god, gods, whatever. Aliens. ANYTHING. I want to feel like there are other creatures out there in this vast universe of ours, with greater knowledge, greater intelligence, and maybe one day they'll grace us with their presence and bestow on us their superior intellect.

I certainly hope those future aliens are more intelligent t
Jessica Edwards
I can't believe that I haven't reviewed this, because I remember really liking this book.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Obsidian, and I didn't think I was going to because when I read books about Aliens, I always picture the alien from the film Alien...and that's not a sexy image.

Obsidian starts with our heroine, Katy Swartz moving to West Virginia to start over.
As it turns out, the new house she moves into has a really hot neighbor.
His name his Daemon Black. He's tall and has green eyes. Soun
jessica
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N E V E R, in my 27 years on this planet, have i experienced so much secondhand angst. holy crap. the amount of pent-up energy between katy and daemon could fuel a rocketship to pluto. the tension is so intense in some parts, i was literally sweating. SWEATING! goodness me, i need a cold shower after reading this.

4 stars
Helen 2.0
author: Hi this is my OC, Daemon Black <3 <3 <3
me: hi
me: what's he look like?
author: he's dark and brooding and his green eyes are brilliant and his abs are so ripped and his skin is so tan

author: but he doesn't know how gorgeous he is despite his washboard abs
me: ok...
author: and he REALLY hates his neighbor
me: who's his neighbor?
author: just your average blog-writing book-reading doormat who also doesn't know how gorgeous she is
author: Daemon is super mean to her because he hates he
Nicole
Don't mind me doing my happy dance...

******

This Valentines Day I fell in Love with Jennifer L. Armentrout. I had been hearing through the grapevine about JLA an one particular grape has been rather loud about her work. So with all the faith that Kay @ K-books knows what she is talking about I picked up Obsidian first chance I had to read one of "my choice" reads. And now I can officially jump on Ms. Armentrout's space ship and enthusiastically follow her anywhere...

I am not usually a big sci
Kat Kennedy
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Stephanie Sinclair
Whilst I was aware of this novel before Stephanie read and reviewed it, it didn’t strike me as something that I needed to read until that point. There are many unfavourable comparisons to Twilight floating around. This is not an invalid point.

-6 inhuman teenagers who pretend to be siblings – 1) the love interest (Edward/Daemon) 2) the delicate best friend of the protagonist (Alice/Dee) 3) The bitch sister who doesn’t approve (Rosalie/Ash) 4+5) Background dudes who we don’t see a lot of – one of
Debra

"If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now."

HOLY ALIEN HOTNESS.

After hearing nothing but positive things about this series, I thought it was about time I'd give it a try myself to find out what all the hype was about and WOW... I'm SO GLAD I finally started it!!! There was never a dull moment in this first part of the series and once I got into the story, I ended up devouring it! I'm pretty sure this will quickly become my new favorite YA series once I continue wit
Sandra
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“So the dickhead had a name. Daemon—seemed fitting.”

What do you get when you combine a shy girl from Florida and a sexy, arrogant next door neighbor?

You get OBSIDIAN!

What do I think about this book?

[image error]

fangirl gif Pictures, Images and Photos

Okay! I think that shows just about how much I love this book! And how absolutely crazy I am of it but at first I didn’t really feel that way towards it.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

A lot of my goodreads friends recommended this book to me but I was like “Oh no! Aliens?”. Then I saw a lot of
Kai
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

Jennifer L. Armentrout writes the best make-out scenes ever. No shit.
Nevertheless the rest of the book was enjoyable, too. Most of the time I spent reading Obsidian, was with a big fat grin plastered on my face.
What bothered me was how obvious and predictable the situation was: Katy being the new girl in town, Daemon Black being at least as obviously dark and sexy and mysterious as his name, the two of them
Ben Alderson
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It took me a while to read.. but that is because I am in a EPIC book slump. But i am obsessed with Katy. She is literally me..!

Jumping into book two now!
Μaria Vrisanaki
Κουίζ:
Τι κάνει κάποιος, στην προκειμένη περίπτωση ο Ντέιμον, όταν θέλει να αποφύγει -και το τονίζω να αποφύγει, να αποφύγει, δεν θυμάμαι το είπα;- μία κοπέλα και συγκεκριμένα την Κατ;
......................
.............................
................................

Περνάει όλη τη μέρα μαζί της φυσικά!
Χμμμ, μήπως δεν διάβασα καλά; Μα όχι, καλά διάβασα! Αυτό ακριβώς κάνει. Την πηγαίνει για μπάνιο –ναι, ξέρω, εκεί τον πίεσαν, δεν ήθελε. Μετά όμως; Την πηγαίνει βόλτες, τη σκουντάει με τον στυλό, τη
Emer
second reading: October 2017

Yup. This is still insanely addictive.
Daemon is still insanely hot.
It is still insanely ridiculous.
Also insanely written!
But most importantly I am still insanely in love with this book.
#SorryNotSorry

It is utterly trashtastic but it's hilarious. Like I legit burst out laughing at so much stuff when reading this. It's filled with innuendo and low key digs at Twilight. I mean it's basically a homage at times.
But where it truly kicks Twilight's butt is the MC Katy...
Taneika
Well, looks like I'm a black sheep for this one guys.

I did not go into this book expecting wonderful prose or a particularly moving story. I went into this book expecting pure fun, guilty-pleasure like entertainment and a hot alien.
All I got was a hot alien.
(Maybe I could put that on a t-shirt, "I read this book and all I got was this hot alien tshirt" and then just slap a picture of Daemon Black's face/abs on the back)

Obsidian was a novel I avoided for a very long time as it sounded like somet
Reynje
First, a caveat: I did not enjoy this book. The following is my honest opinion, however I mean no disrespect to those of my friends who liked it.

Just to be clear, I approached Obsidian optimistically, looking for something fun and entertaining to read. Because hot alien spells fun, am I right? Particularly on the heels of a couple of quite emotionally taxing books.

Well, apparently I should have checked myself before I wrecked myself, and paid heed to those little warning bells in the synopsis:
Abbi Glines
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh WOW! That's all I've got. Well that and you MUST read this.
Elena
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
❝If she was mine, I'd cherish every inch of her. And I wanted to. Now.❞

Rating: ★★

I don't think I'll ever get to love Paranormal Romance in any way. It's just something that doesn't get my attention or has me hooked up in any way. I kind of find that kind of romance weird to start off with. It's not something I enjoy reading about simply because it is a human catching feelings for some creature—faes, vampires, werewolves, aliens, zombies, ghosts, and other paranormals that I can't think of.

Afte
Giselle
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
Ok, I have to gather my thoughts now, because this book has blown my mind! I absolutely loved it! This is my first book by Jennifer, but it definitely won't be my last. I will now stalk all of her work - beware! There is no wonder she has been getting rave reviews so far.

Obsidian gets us acquainted with Katy, who has just moved to a boring small town in West Virginia, and with not-so-boring Daemon who is the most arrogant human being she has ever met. And, lucky her (seriously! lucky her!), he l
shre ♡
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW just WOW~! O_O bye! i need to go read it again!

description

Full review at chocolatecoatedreviews.blogspot.com
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»
Okay so I waited for this book forever! I finally got it and read it non stop! It was amazing. I loved everything about it. The story line, plot, the idea of aliens, the characters, the romance and all the hilarious conversations between Daemon and Katy! LOL ;)

It was kind of sad about the whole situation with Dawson (Daemon's brother). I can't wait to find out his story. I just wish he comes back with Bethany somehow. My fave part about the book was the first conversation Daemon and Katy have. I
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Long story short, hate Daemon, love Katy. That's pretty much it.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I tend to stay away from paranormal romance, because I don't think the genre is for me, but this one was actually decent. I really liked the main character and I thought it was cool that she was a book blogger. She was also sassy and a bit unpredictable at times, which I liked. I also loved the side character Dee, she was a fantastic supporting character. As for the male lead, Daemon, I'm still not sure how I feel about him. He's such a f ...more
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Accordance (Significance, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Get Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #6)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Touching Fire (Touch, #2)
  • Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
  • Ceaseless (Existence Trilogy, #3)
  • Sweet Reckoning (Sweet, #3)
  • Kindred (The Darkwoods Trilogy, #2)
  • Waiting for Mercy (Cambion, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo

Lux (5 books)
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Opal (Lux, #3)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Opposition (Lux, #5)
“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.” 3230 likes
“Why are you such an ass?" The words came out before I could think twice.
"Everyone has to excel at something, right?"
"Well, you're doing a great job.”
1951 likes