Start by marking “Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher” as Want to Read:
Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher

Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher

(Photobiographies)

The epic story of Annie Sullivan’s perseverance and triumph in the face of hardship will enthrall readers of every age. This pioneering teacher overcame disability and misfortune before achieving her success as one of the most famous educators of all time.

This is the inspiring photobiography of Anne Mansfield Sullivan, a woman born into a life of daunting disadvantage and
Published February 12th 2008 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Helen's Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Helen's Eyes

Start your review of Helen's Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's Teacher
Karen
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has wonderful insights into the life of Anne Sullivan. If you want to see actual photo's of Annie and Helen along with the inside story of their time together read this short insightful book. It is a very quick read, but I actually learned more about Annie Sullivan from this book than any other I have read.
Annie was always by Helen's side, except for a few months while Annie was recovering, until the day she died. While Helen got all the accolades, Annie was the one that help to make
MCPLD Youth Department
One of my favorite books about Annie Sullivan. Helen Keller was a remarkable person, but so was her teacher, Annie Sullivan. It's great to see a book honoring the teacher who made all the difference in Helen's life.
Brittany Townsend
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a Biography about a teacher named Annie Sullivan. It tells about her start in life where for most of her life she was blind until many surgeries later helped her to gain her sight back. Later she became a teacher at a young age to Hellen Keller who was blind a deaf. This book explains her experiences teaching her and their life together with a special bond. Annie is still consider on of the greatest teachers off all time and still use her practices today.

I can see me using this in my
Rachel
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this photobiography because I had only learned a small amount about Annie Sulivan, Helen Keller's teacher, before, and I wanted to know more about her. I was actually surprised at the amount of information packed into this 68 page children's nonfiction book. The book is well written, informative, and laid out in a straight-forward, easy-to-read manner. I doubt any children would pick this up without prompting, but I don't think any middle grade children who did read it for ...more
Kylee Champlin
Helen's eyes is a photo biography in the eyes of Hellen Keller's teacher. It shows the journey not only of Helen's life but also the journey she and her teacher had while growing up. The information and pictures are great for older elementary and middle school students.
Sherry
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent biography of Anne Mansfield Sullivan, orphaned and uneducated in a Tewksbury MA poorhouse fought her way to going to school and later to gain education for Helen Keller, an incredible partnership.
Elaine
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I gained so many insights into Annie Sullivan's life, but was most inspired by her teaching style and her dedication to Helen despite her own trials and hardships.
MrsMJ
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great info, pictures, and quotes! This would be great for a classroom—the kids would love it!
Samantha
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: info-biographies
A children's read biography about Helen Keller's teacher Annie Sullivan the "Miracle Worker". Describing her life and the hardships and triumphs she faced. This books can give another viewpoint into Hellen Keller's personal life. It can be tied to historical lessons on the time period and achievements made for people that were blind, the social aspect of the culture of her life, as well as activities such as learning braille, ASL, etc.
Carol
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great, yet brief, overview of the lives of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan. It covers from her horrendous childhood to being an adult and earning a living.

It is amazing how Charles Dicken's writings had a major effect on those who read his books. Apparently, Helen's mother discovered a book entitled American Notes written 40 years earlier by Dickens. He wrote about visiting a remarkable deaf-blind girl named Laura Bridgman, who had been taught how to communicate. The story filled Mrs.
Megan Cranley
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a great account of Annie's life before she met Helen as well as how her life continued with Helen. This book shared real pictures and documents of the two, and it was like having a flash back in history. Annie had a rough life growing up, and even was going blind as well. I had no idea that Annie was actually going blind her self. I think that fact makes Annie's strength and perseverance go the extra mile. This book shows that no matter what the circumstance is, you will be able to ...more
Kerri
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The amount of information packed into this thin book was a pleasant surprise. Photos and details bring Annie Sullivan's life to the foreground.
Amy
This is a fascinating account of what Annie Sullivan endured in her childhood (partial blindness began at age 5, a father who would fly into rages and beat her, a mother who died of TB when she was 8, abandonment by her father, and by age 10 she and her brother lived in a filthy almshouse where he died of TB a few months later. On her first night there, she and her brother stayed in the "dead house" where the bodies were kept before burial. Her experiences there were absolutely terrifying and ...more
Boo
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing

The I is actually Anne Sullivan.This is in first person

I was born on April 14, 1866 in Feeding Hills, Agawam, Massachusetts and died on October 20, 1936. I was blind when I was about five years old due to a contagious eye disease called trachoma. I had slightly curly hair when my brother and I were sent to the Tewksbury, Massachusetts State poorhouse, or almshouse, at the age of ten years old. Because I have had many operations on my eyes, I hence wore sunglasses to keep the sun out of my eyes.
Erica
A fascinating book about Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher. The book begins when Annie was a young girl living in the Tewksbury Almshouse. Annie was losing her sight as a young teen and was finally enrolled at the Perkins Institution and Massachusetts School for the Blind. After she graduated she was encouraged to become Helen Keller's teacher.

Annie was frustrated with Helen in the beginning because Helen threw such fits but after Annie was able to work with Helen away from Helen's family
Becky B
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: upper elem, middle school & high school students
Marfe Delano and National Geographic have done a spectacular job of telling Annie Sullivan's story through words and reproductions of original photographs and other primary materials. The text is well-written. It does not feel dumbed down or sugar coated for kids, but should still be usable as a read-aloud in elementary while providing enough solid material that it could be used by secondary students as a good resource. It does a fair job of portraying both Annie's strengths and weaknesses ...more
Allison
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-non-fiction
Delano, Marfe Ferguson Helen’s Eyes: A Photobiography of Annie Sullivan Helen Keller’s Teacher pgs.64 National Geographic Children's Books Language~G; Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

There are millions of different biographies on Helen Keller and her discovery of language with the help of her teacher Annie Sullivan. But who was Annie Sullivan and how did she develop the skills necessary to help Helen? In a new biography on Annie Sullivan we learn about Annie from her terrible beginnings in an
Lisa
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: CapCh10-14
"We...have the power of controlling the course of our lives. We can educate ourselves; we can, by thought and perseverance, develop all the powers and capacities entrusted to us." This quote from the book is from Anne Sullivan's valedictory address upon graduation from Perkins School for the Blind. "Helen's Eyes" gives deeper meaning to Sullivan's words, as it tells of her education and life's work after a childhood of poverty, abuse, abandonment, and near loss of sight.
An inspiring biography
Chantel
Aug 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Here is the story of a true hero, Annie Sullivan, the teacher of Helen Keller. I was moved by this well-written, well-documented, biography that is filled with period photographs. I had no idea of the struggles Miss Sullivan went through to become a teacher. Almost totally blind herself, she was raised in a cruel children's home and didn't have the opportunity to receive an education. Finally, through sheer will power and luck she was able to attend a famous school for the blind.

Annie's story
Deanna Day
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Biography about Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller's teacher. Great book that I would put with a text set including Miss Spitfire and other books about Hellen Keller and the new picture book The Black Book of Colors. After reading this book I would like to read the biography that was written about Annie during her own life. Plus I would like to read Hellen Keller's autobiography--The Story of My Life.

What I most got out of this book is the power a teacher can have on a child's life. I certainly hope
Becky
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
We all know about Helen Keller, but this is a closer look at her Teacher. I liked the layout with photos and letters from Annie Sullivan's life. I had no idea of the hardships Annie Sullivan experienced - being abandoned and growing up in a poor house being one of them. The book doesn't try to make Annie a saint, but does present her as a remarkable woman who did extraordinary things. Very interesting and a quick read.
Ellen
Feb 23, 2009 added it
A very good book about two inspiring individuals. Good reading and good role models for kids in grades 4-7. Attention is turned primarily to Annie Sullivan and her revolutionary teaching techniques. Wonderful photos make historical figures come alive. Unlike Keller/Sullivan bios i read as a child, this author also includes their human frailties, such as Annie's stubbornness and Helen's extravagances.
Lindsay Monson
This book does well explaining Helen Keller's teacher, Annie Sullivan. She was known as the "Miracle Worker" because of all the different things she experienced when being a part of Helen's life. I would incorporate this in the classroom would be to have the kids learn about sign language or braille and experience what Helen Keller did her whole life.
Cherie