Start by marking “Bleeding Earth” as Want to Read:
Bleeding Earth

Bleeding Earth

This edition will no longer be released.

YA Highway blogger Kaitlin Ward's debut YA novel, Bleeding Earth.

Lea was in a cemetery when the earth started bleeding. Within twenty-four hours, the blood made international news. All over the world, blood appeared out of the ground, even through concrete, even in water. Then the earth started growing hair and bones.

Lea wants to ign
Kindle Edition, Advance Review Copy, 256 pages
Published by Egmont USA (first published February 9th 2016)

Start your review of Bleeding Earth
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
This book sounded really cool. Unfortunately, it was a huge disappointment.

It's not really about a girl dealing with the apocalypse. It's about a girl being an annoying teenager while the apocalypse makes the world disgusting. I didn't care about any of the characters, despite several attempts to flesh them and their lives out.

Here are some of my many issues with this book:

1. First person present tense. No. Stop. This should only be done if the writing is seriously amazing, which this writing wa
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Egmont USA and NetGalley.)

“This is the beginning of the end.”

This was an interesting apocalyptic/ horror story, although the ending did leave me with unanswered questions.

“The blood I saw today was only the beginning. It’s happening everywhere. Everywhere in the entire world.”

I liked Lea, and I felt really sorry for her at points. What was happening with the blood was really not nice, and when p
Ellen Gail
Three wishy-washy stars. I liked parts of it, but the things that bugged me really bugged me.

High schooler Lea has it pretty good. Loving parents, despite their bickering. A new relationship still in the honeymoon stage with a girl that gives her butterflies. Good friends, including BFF Hillary who would do anything for her. Everything at the base of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

So when the earth starts oozing blood, Lea's first instinct is to ignore it. I mean, she can't, but she tries. There is
Brigid ✩
Wait. This sounds AMAZING.

Lea wants to ignore the blood. She wants to spend time with her new girlfriend, Aracely, in public, if only Aracely wasn’t so afraid of her father. Lea wants to be a regular teen again, but the blood has made her a p
Casey
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian, read-fiction
everyone who rated this less than five stars is homophobic
Faye

This book had some really great parts, but others really could have used more work. This is obviously the work of a debut author, but Bleeding Earth was one of the better ones this year.

So the parts I liked:'

As the world starts descending into this bloody apocalyptic mess, people start getting really desperate. I love how everyone was first confused, but then they sort of lost that human part of themselves and started to fight with each other. This slow descent really is scary but all t
Allison
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so EXTRA. In every single way. Bloody, emotional, terrifying.

Longer review to come.
vicky.
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
ARC by Netgalley.

2.5 stars.

Beloveds, don’t be afraid, the sign still proclaims brightly beside me.
But I am. I am suddenly so afraid that the fear becomes a white-hot brand, pressed into my heart. And I should be, because something impossible is happening.

The earth is bleeding.

Well, It was bloody... and also annoying.

The earth is suddenly bleeding and no one has a sense of urgency. Seriously, there's blood on the street and kids still go to school, people keep working and our MC Lea, only cares
Ava Jae
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh this was awesome. Review to come!

REVIEW:

Right from the start I'm going to say this book is gross in the best way possible. It's gory, and disgusting, and easily has the least pleasant apocalyptic scenario I've read yet—from the decay to the paranormal-ish all around unpleasantness, this is a seriously nasty end of the world book.

And I loved every page.

This is not a coming out book. Lea knows right from the start that she likes to date girls, and she's already (just) started dating Aracely
Kirsten Hubbard
kaitlin is a best friend & critique partner of mine, & I'm happy to say BLEEDING EARTH is disturbing, bloody, exciting, apocalypsey, bloody, unsettling, bloody, and romantic, too -- everything you're hoping it it'll be, and so much more.

so much more BLOOD.
TheBlueBookworm
Jun 27, 2014 marked it as to-read
YESS! a dystopian novel about two girlfriends! I'm really really reallyyyyy looking forward to this one.
Alexa
This book got really creepy as time went on. Like wow.

It's always nice to read a book with LGBT protagonists where the romance is not the main thing, the protagonist just happens to be in a relationship with another girl while also being in a different genre.

This is a story of a girl's family as the apocalypse (?) breaks out, and yeah, it gets pretty stressful and disgusting at times. I liked how it was shown that the world gradually changes as the blood gets worse.
L.C. Perry
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diverse-reads
Abbie
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-review
(I received a copy from Netgalley, In exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 3.5

This was a decent read, but the ending ruined it for me.

I liked Lea, even though she could be quite stupid at points. I liked Aracely too, and thought they made a really cute couple.

The storyline was interesting, and the pacing was just right, so I didn't get bored. If it wasn't for the ending, this would have been a solid 4 star rating.
I wasn't satisfied with the ending at all, and it really, really annoye
Samantha
Feb 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was surprising. I didn't like it. Nuh uh, no way, and see ya later. I mean, honestly? I expected so much more out of this and then I started it and it was meh, and then bleh. If you cannot tell, I literally cannot force words out of me that do not exist. This book was awful, genuinely, horribly awful and now I feel like a despicable human being for saying so on the internet.

IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO BE ORIGINAL ANYMORE! Jeesh. I swear, all the books these days - well, all apocalyptic books
Nathaniel
holy shit!!! I don't know what I expected but I was not ready for this!!!
Heather A
I received a copy from Netgalley.

DNFing at 62%. I just can't stand to read anymore. When I first saw the blurb for this one it was a must have for me. A bleeding earth with a lesbian protagonist. Want want want. Unfortunately, I did not like this book one bit. The premise was initially quite interesting, for reasons unknown, the earth suddenly starts to bleed. Not gushing torrents but enough to rise panic and deep concern.

The characters were idiots. The main character in particularly acts so c
Devon Munn
While i didn't necessarily enjoy it as much as i wanted to it was still a good read. The book was well written and the "bloodpocalypse" was a pretty neat idea for a apocalyptic/disaster situation and the book did a really good job at it's atmosphere, i truly felt what it was like for the characters and how desperate they were. While yes the character made a few stupid decisions and this book could have been maybe a little longer it was still a very solid book
Gabby
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was originally going to give this book 3 stars, however around Ch.24 things start to get very good. I think the later action can make up for some of the irresponsible actions of the main character. The chilling way later events are described is truly scary. It definitely earned 4 stars.
Sara
One of my teens chose this for our October Teen Book Club, and boy howdy is it WEIRD. It's the kind of weird that turned a lot of my teens off, but I actually ended up being pretty into it. It's a pre-apocalypse novel, which I'm always really drawn to. I feel like we've been inundated with stories about what happens AFTER the apocalypse, but I love a good story about how we got there in the first place. In this book, the way we get there is that the earth starts bleeding human blood. And growing ...more
Max Baker
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

What can I say about Bleeding Earth? Well, it was defiantly high on my most anticipated books of 2015 list, because not only is it a YA horror novel, but the main character is a lesbian! Talk about fucking awesome!

The book starts out with Lea discovering a patch of blood in a cemetery. Soon afterwards, blood starts seeping up through the sidewalks, the streets, and the grass. If that's not bad enough, soon p
Amy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise sounded intriguing enough - the world starts bleeding, sprouting hair and bones, and our narrator is not only a teenage girl, but one who identifies with the LGBT community.

Apocalyptic AND diverse - score!

But that's basically where the fun ended for me. As the world becomes more and more disgusting, the narrator becomes more and more irritating. What began as an intriguing, new premise became old fast as the same bits of description are worn out over and over again (yes we get it - t
Katy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen horror fans
Hidden spoilers ahead.

I found this book in the clearance bin of my local Barnes and Noble, and I can say with full confidence that I had no idea how fitting that would turn out to be.

Bleeding Earth is a 2016 YA horror LGBTQ+ novel by Kaitlin Ward. It's about a young lesbian named Lea whose world is turned upside-down when one day in her small Connecticut town the earth starts bleeding. The paperback version that I got also has a stunningly gorgeous cover.

I don't know that there's ever been a bl
Domini Phillips ~Bookish Friends Reviews~
Holy Cow. I mean WOW! I was drawn to read Bleeding Earth because of it's unique premise and I tell you it does deliver the goods.

The blood came first as a trickle, quickly turned to a rush. Lea was in the cemetery when she first noticed the blood. As the days passed the Earth becomes thickly layer in blood, then the hair and bones started to appear grinding life to a halt for Lea. As school and businesses are closed she finds herself going stir crazy when she is invited to an apocalyptic party,
Samantha
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mini-review:
-Original and perfectly creepy premise
-F/F romance that's super cute
-Solid friendships too
-I would love a sequel!
elisabeth
I added this book to the queer suffering shelf because although I acknowledge that this book is in a post-apocalyptic setting, the fact that the main character's girlfriend was afraid of everyone knowing her queerness for very strange arbitrary reasons felt to me very much an instance of an author creating a situation of awkwardness and fear. Which was just...unnecessary?
Moreover, this book has a disgusting subject (blood everywhere, so obviously) and is also deeply invested in character's react
Stuti T
3.5/5.
I received this free review copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book definitely gave off Life As We Knew It vibes – a family enduring a slow apocalypse, the trials of everyday survival, and how humanity falls apart when things get really rough. I really appreciated the lesbian couple! And the author clearly isn’t afraid of shying away from gory subjects. I do really like the slow-apocalypse idea, because I think it’s more realistic, but I felt like the whole
palina
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, ya, horror
2.5/5

Girlfriends trying to survive a bloodpocalypse?? The concept sounded honestly amazing and I was so ready to read this, thinking it would be a really fun read at least.
And it was fun, at least for the beginning half of the book. But the other half dragged on and in the end you kind of realize there literally was no plot to this book except for them trying to survive. It was very anti-climactic and cheesy but their relationship at least was pretty cute. Also the gross factor was properly ac
Nathan
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
August book review 2 2 Sep 04, 2018 06:50PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward - Starting January 27th 2015 29 13 Jan 27, 2015 06:46AM

• As I Descended
  • The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Not Your Sidekick (Sidekick Squad, #1)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Monstrosity
  • Fire Bringer
  • In Case You Missed It
  • R.I.P. Eliza Hart
  • 地縛少年 花子くん 1 [Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun 1] (Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, #1)
  • The Other F-Word
  • 100 Hours (100 Hours, #1)
  • Alice Isn't Dead
  • Harleen
  • Crater (Helium-3, #1)
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • Velvet, Vol. 1: Before the Living End