Start by marking “What We Left Behind” as Want to Read:
What We Left Behind

What We Left Behind

3.12  ·  Rating details ·  1,594 Ratings  ·  393 Reviews
From the critically acclaimed author of Lies We Tell Ourselves comes an emotional, empowering story of what happens when love may not be enough to conquer all.

Toni and Gretchen are the couple everyone envied in high school. They've been together forever. They never fight. They’re deeply, hopelessly in love. When they separate for their first year at college—Toni to Harvard
Published October 27th 2015 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about What We Left Behind, please sign up.
Keerthi Genderqueer is a blanket term used by those who don't identify/fit in with the typical "male" and "female" genders. This can mean that they feel like…moreGenderqueer is a blanket term used by those who don't identify/fit in with the typical "male" and "female" genders. This can mean that they feel like they're neither male nor female or, for some, both at the same time.(less)
Crystal The main body of the novel happens during the protagonist's freshman year of college. Some of the action also happens in the final years of high…moreThe main body of the novel happens during the protagonist's freshman year of college. Some of the action also happens in the final years of high school. I would classify it as young adult contemporary.(less)

Emily May
May 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
This might be my most disappointing read of 2015. I have been so excited for this book. There are so few books out there about people who identify as genderqueer that I couldn't wait for this book to be available. But it did so many things wrong.

Firstly, I knew early on that this wasn't going to get more than three stars. It read like a textbook or essay discussing and informing the reader about being transgender and being genderqueer. The story itself - about Toni and Gretchen's relationship -
Jessie Devine
Jul 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read the ARC of this book, and I'm really disappointed in it. I think I would've liked it, except . . .

The genderqueer representation is not good at all. First, (I'm going to refer to the genderqueer character only as T through this review so as not to spoil things) T does the WORST thing that reinforces the WORST stereotype about genderqueer people. T acts like a hipster "babydyke" (another character's word, not mine) and goes around calling everyone by gender neutral pronouns, until the very
Taneika
I don't really know where to start with this review. All I really know is I was SO excited to read this. There is so little representation of people who identify as genderqueer and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, but I ended up so incredibly disappointed.

Also to note, for the purposes of this review, I will referring to Toni as'T' as to not spoil anything.

To start with, the writing felt forced and read like a collection of short essays or even a textbook, and there was barely any resembla
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, abandoned
This is not positive representation of what it means to be genderqueer. If you were attracted to this book in part because Toni is genderqueer, What We Left Behind will only leave you disappointed and enraged because it is used interchangably with being trans and generally treated as a transitional stage or a place you are when you aren't certain, not as its own gender identity. Repeatedly, characters use the wrong pronouns for someone, get corrected, and continue to use the wrong pronouns anywa ...more
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
This book will contain spoilers, and quotes from the book.

When a book opened up with a relatable litany such as these:

You’re bound to think, “Oh, hell yes. This shit might be good.” It better be good.

However, What We Left Behind drastically failed in every standard that I was highly holding itself into. There are a lot of offensive and alarming situations that made my skin crawled.

There is a prominent character in the story, named Caroll. He is gay, and he keeps using transphobic and lespobic sl
Adriana
Jun 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer-lit, buddy-read
I agree with this review in every respect. Still, I will try to elaborate on my thoughts.

This book is problematic in more ways than I can describe. Do NOT look to this book to educate you on the trans spectrum or the queer community in general. This is not good queer representation, even worse genderqueer "representation" (if it can even rightfully be called that), and I would encourage you to avoid it at all costs. This is Glee in novel form; it wants to be a catchall for ALL THE CHARACTERS,
Charlotte Annelise
Aug 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF
The writing in this book is quite poor – I cannot finish it.
Antonia
Apr 23, 2015 marked it as reviews-say-run-forrest-run
Another YA book by the fabulous Robin Talley and it's involving not only homosexuality but transsexuality?

Megan  (YABookers)
I received this free from the publishers via Netgalley

All quotes are from my arc edition and may be subject to change

Toni and Gretchen are the perfect couple. They never fight and are expected to be together forever. But then college comes along, Gretchen to NYU and Toni to Harvard and they are sure they'll be ok. However, the distance does put a toll on their relationship. Toni is genderqueer and when T finds a sense of belonging with a group transgender upperclassman, Gretchen struggles to fin
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review to come

Okay. I've been looking forward to this review, mainly because I have a lot to say. So lately I've been reading a lot of LGBTQ to broaden my horizons. Unfortunately, I haven't liked many of the books in that genre. This book was one of those books.
Plot: So this book was about a lesbian couple who basically have their entire lives planned out: together. The two girls names are Gretchen and Toni. Toni is struggling to find out who she is, and identifying as genderqueer, because she d
Tilly Booth
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!
Claire
Hm. Hm. Mixed feelings about this one, enough that I'm not really sure how to rate it at all.

My first impression was: holy shit, we have come a LONG way since I was a teen! A non-binary character who's on a journey! Happy queer teens dating in high school and having realistic dating feelings! This is new, and neat.

Less thrilling: you've got a whole group of (presumably) extremely smart, politicized trans Harvard students and not one of them says, hey, dude, you know the whole pronoun thing? U
Heatherblakely
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtq, ya
Hahahahaha I am SO glad to be finished with this book.

I loved Talley's first book. Lies We Tell Ourselves had a few issues in terms of race representation, but I was able to get past most of those and focus on the story and be swept up in it and then get too emotionally involved and have a mini breakdown. It was fine. I was fine with it. But What We Left Behind rubbed me the wrong way the entire time I read it.

I am cisgender and have always identified that way, so I cannot entirely speak for h
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

I don't really read New Adult. It's not because I have something against New Adult, I mean I've read and loved several New Adult novels, my problem is that I never feel like I am being represented in New Adult. I go to college and here is a truth that people won't tell you: college is all about being angsty. The angst doesn't magically disappear once you get into college. You aren't magically transformed into an adult. There is angst, lot
Amber (Books of Amber)
This review was originally posted on Books of Amber

Lies We Tell Ourselves was one of my favourite books of the year last year, and when I found out that Talley's next book would be about a girl who is a lesbian and a character who identifies as genderqueer, I was incredibly excited. Unfortunately, I was more than a little let down by What We Left Behind, and the reason for that lies with the character of Toni.

There are two main characters, Toni and Gretchen, but What We Left Behind focusses most

Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Although it was super fun to read about queer characters, and for the main focus to be discovering your identity and romance, I thought that the characters got way too bogged down with labels and putting themselves into a specific box, when there are no boxes! I appreciated reading about the struggle of finding something you identify with, but maybe there's such a thing as being too self-aware, and it might be best to just let yourself be yourself without trying to justify it to the universe.
Miranda Kenneally
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book reminded me so much of what it felt like to leave high school and go to college.
Lucy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
A heart-breaking but important story of first love and self-discovery from one of my favourite new young adult authors. What We Left Behind follows perfect couple Toni and Gretchen as they attempt a long-distance relationship during their first year of college. But as Toni, who identifies as genderqueer, begins to consider transitioning from female to male, the cracks in their relationship begin to grow.

What We Left Behind is a difficult book to read and enjoy, because it’s not a happy book. I r
Sarah Marie
What We Left Behind by Robin Talley

1 star

Toni and Gretchen are a couple like no other. They don’t fight or have conflicts. Everything is perfect. Then things start to change drastically. Toni and Gretchen are in different states for their first year of college. Gretchen and Toni don’t want to be another statistic of couples not working on for long distance. Toni identifies as genderqueer and prefers not to use pronouns to define gender. Gretchen doesn’t really understand Toni’s GQ status, but su

Rebecca
REVIEW TO COME CLOSER TO RELEASE DATE
Star
This is going behind a spoiler cut because I'm going to be extremely opinionated.
You have been warned.

(view spoiler)
Morgan
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
I think I understand why people are so upset by this book, but in my opinion that's because they're misunderstanding T.
(view spoiler)
Jess
Read this review and more on my blog!

I received an eARC of What We Left Behind from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review - thanks to MIRAInk and NetGalley for letting me read this book early!

Check out my review of Robin Talley's debut, Lies We Tell Ourselves , here.

Last month I read Robin Talley's debut novel, Lies We Tell Ourselves, and with her third novel, As I Descended , being one of my most anticipated reads of 2016, I think it's safe to say that Talley is an author I've been keepi
Denise
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I have so many issues with this book that I quite frankly can't be bothered to list them all, especially since many other reviewers have already discussed them in detail. Suffice it to say, the genderqueer representation is awful and replete with harmful stereotypes. That the protagonist is deeply unlikable really doesn't help.
Brianna
Apr 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
I am currently reading "Lies We Tell Ourselves". Every time someone asks what I am reading, I quickly ramble all the beautiful points about it, and mention What We Left Behind's upcoming release.

Friend: Hey, what are you-

Me: LESBIANS INTEGRATION INTERRACIAL BEAUTIFUL WRITING GENDER QUEER CHARACTERS COMING SOON THE WORLD IS SUCH A GREAT PLACE

Update 2015-06-21
NEW COVER ART! IT LOOKS SO BEAUTIFUL.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quiltbag, arc, na-na-na
With What We Left Behind, I’ve finally finished/DNFed every single book I picked up during BEA week last year. It only took a year. But hey, it’s still an accomplishment. What We Left Behind was one of the books I was most excited to acquire but then I accidentally ended up shuffling it to the bottom of the stack. Then, color me surprised to discover when I went to mark this currently reading on GR and I saw that the reviews were terrible. Well, I really liked this one, but I think it’s importan ...more
Ashley
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
* I will be using the name Tony and he/him pronouns for him throughout this review because that is what Tony has decided to use at the end of the novel.

I really feel that this book should not be marketed as having a genderqueer main character. Not only does it show a horrible representation of what it means to be genderqueer but Tony thinks several times about how he doesn't like the term genderqueer.

That I'm definitely somewhere on the transgender spectrum, and that even though I've spent hours
Kelsey
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5???? I have a problem with a good chunk of the characters in this book AND a lot of what happens. (Carroll's character is a straight-up asshole and nothing he does is okay.) But I do think this topic is important, especially for YA - so I'm definitely glad I read it.
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • Cut Both Ways
  • Kevin
  • Anything Could Happen
  • Frenemy of the People
  • Beauty of the Broken
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Vanished (Vanished, #1)
  • You and Me and Him
  • The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek (Justin Goldblatt, #2)
  • Honey Girl (Honey Girl, #1)
  • The Flywheel
  • Fans of the Impossible Life
I live in Washington, D.C., with my wife, our baby daughter, an antisocial cat and a goofy hound dog. Whenever the baby's sleeping, I'm probably busy writing young adult fiction about queer characters, reading books, and having in-depth conversations with friends and family about things like whether Jasmine's character motivation was sufficiently established in Aladdin.

My website is at http://www.
More about Robin Talley