Start by marking “Ten Little Fish” as Want to Read:
Ten Little Fish

Ten Little Fish

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  774 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
It's an undersea countdown in the newest book by bestselling author Audrey Wood and her dynamic, digital-artist son, Bruce. Follow ten little fish as they swim along a beautiful ocean reef, one by one departing from the school for different reasons, eventually leaving one fellow all alone. What will he do? Along comes another, and that makes two! Soon he becomes a father a ...more
Published 2004 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Ten Little Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Little Fish

Lindsay
I used 10 Little Fish as a participation story for a bilingual story time to celebrate Dr. Seuss/fish (the Dr. Seuss tale was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish). The story is brightly illustrated, almost like an animated film Pixar style. The repetitive, rhyming nature of the story helps build narrative skills and phonological awareness. Although the story goes from 10 fish to 1 and then increased back to 10 with the start of a family, I only had the kids help me count from 10 to 1. I clip ...more
Anna Nesterovich
An unassuming little book. Very bright and colorful and well made, it nevertheless lacks inventiveness in the story and is not perfectly rhymed. Thus, it's certainly not the best book ever, but a good one to read with a toddler several times.
Kathrin
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this counting book. Each page is clear with the words and pictures. It directly shows what each one means, and I like how the entire book rhymed. Children typically like fish, and I every page in this novel, had fish on it. The words are easy to read. The pages and the cover of the book is very colorful, which draws children to read it.
Alexis Munk
These illustrations were very strange. It looked like they were a cartoon on tv. This would be a great book to use for math skills as well. I love the colors throughout this book. They are not colors you would typically see in a book.
Janis Kay
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahh-childhood
Did this for storytime and the kids got into it (saying the numbers) after a little encouragement lol
Rahim Hython
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mini-library
Ten Little Fish reminded me of Finding Nemo, probably because of the 3D art which is quite remarkable and very warm feeling. I personally think it would be a perfect counting for ages 0-8.
DeA
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good counting book that has a surprise at the end. Great for children who can or can't read.
Hannah
This book helps children learn to count by rhyming and and colorful illustrations.
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
This story was cute, even though we are not supposed to comment about it like that. More importantly, the story rhymes all throughout which makes it very easy to listen and follow along and provides kids with a clue about what the next number will be. For example, nine little fish swimming round a crate, one goes in, and now there are EIGHT!! And, eight is easier to remember because it rhymes with crate. This is a very helpful tool. I liked the twist at the end of the story
Sarah Sammis
My son has grown up with Audrey, Don and Bruce Wood's books. They are a family of children's book authors and illustrators. He rediscovered them on his own in first grade and has read through his school library's collection. His most recent read was Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Bruce Wood.

The book begins like most books with "ten little" in the title. There are ten fish in school and one goes away. Wash, rinse, repeat. Typically though at one, the remaining member either fin
Jamie
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ten little fish are swimming through the sea, and something keeps happening to one of the fish. Soon there is only one fish left. But not to fear! One fish soon becomes two, and then becomes a family of ten baby fish. This original twist on the often used structure for counting books makes for a great read, with bouncy phrases that kids will love.
The artwork for this book greatly resembles something you would see in an animated film. The pictures were digitally created, allowing for a fantastic
Jessica
Ten Little Fish is a wonderful book to use in so many ways. The extremely colorful and engaging illustrations are coupled perfectly with a simple plot line that touches multiple domains. I myself have used this book for multiple lesson plans. The illustrations also have a very real feel to them, with a 3d effect that makes them really pop off the page! The colors, social-emotional, numbers, and life cycle aspect all give this book a five star rating!

Learning Extension:
I would use this book for a
Michelle
This was one of my daughter's most requested bedtime and quiet-time stories.

I have such wonderful memories of reading this clever, colorful counting book aloud as my little girl dozed-off with the glimmering, shimmering Fisher-Price Aquarium Night Light splashing soothingly along.

Even more special are the "quiet-time" memories as her big brother read aloud and she chimed-in on her favorite words and phrases. I can still see them snuggled together with the awesome blue cover filled with fish as t
Vivian
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
You'll have the kids counting forward up to ten and backward down to one with this book filled with breathtaking colors.

"Ten little fish, swimming in a line. One dives down, and now there are..." (turn page)

If sharing the story in a pre-school library story time, lead the children in a fishy song when the story is done.

A Slippery Fish : (hear the tune and words here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkQeX... -- This is a flannel board version.) Here is a version with actions: https://www.youtube.
Ebookwormy1
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-preschool
This fun counting book uses the formula of a rhyme that finishes each stanza with a word that becomes the first word in the next though. For example:
"Ten little fish, swimming in a line,
One dives down and now there are...
Nine little fish, swimming 'round a crate,
One goes in and now there are..."

You get the idea. The authors are clever enough that the story doesn't seem burdened by the form. The illustrations are colorful and engaging, particularly to a child who loves fish.
Angela
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
The story is told as a remade of '10 little pigs' but instead refer to fish. Fish illustrations remind me of Finding Nemo. It ends with a happy ending about finding love and settling down.

This book could be incorporated into a lesson to allow students to make connection of items that we can count any object through the use of numbers. This book could also be incorporated to teach basic addition and subtraction by providing the students with word problems from the book.
Rachel
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I had to write a review for this book because the children in my preschool class absolutely ADORE IT! (Especially those between 2-3 years old.) They cannot get enough of the cute little fishies, the fun rhymes, and the entire story overall. Set to the same tune as the song "10 little monkeys (jumping on the bed)" it becomes quite easy for the kids to read along as we read this story over and over and over again.
Mar 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book works well as a counting book for kids. It lets them play along, as the number the fish are down to is not revealed until the next page. At first, it tells them 10 minus one fish is nine, but then they get to guess for the rest of the numbers. It also lets them guess what the female fish is if the male fish is a father. The words rhyme as well, so it has a singsong effect when read out loud. The pictures are wonderful!

Ages 2-5
Benjamin Elliott
It starts off as a straight counting story though the justification for how and why the fish are left behind is pretty weak for a lot of them. Then, it suddenly takes a sharp turn and you have this new revelation that returns you to the beginning and requires some explanation. The way the prose leads into the next page is clever, but I would not buy this book for my kids or have it in my own classroom.
Diana Thomsen
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
This book was fun! The illustrations were bright and colorful, with a rhyme sequence that made it easy for kids to guess the number even when they weren't actually able to count backwards. I thought the ending was creative, clever, and leads to a very nice circular story (think "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie") where it could restart itself over and over again...kinda like nature and life in general. And my storytime kids loved it as part of my storytime about fish, so it's a keeper!
Tricia
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fanatic for Audrey Wood, whether the work is a result of a colloboration with husband Don or son Bruce. Concept books sometimes translate into a poor storytime selection (boring!) but in this case, counting down is entertaining thanks to appealing illustrations and amusing simple rhyming text. Cute choice for preschool fish storytime or anytime!
Michelle
I thought it was a bit sad with how the fish went away (you know most of them got eaten or something!) but my young kids didn't get that part so they found the book cute and fun. It's not like the 10 little ladybug book where you see them all together at a party at the end. In this book, the way to get more fish together is to have babies...
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From 10 to 1, this creative counting book features a school of colorful computer gererated fish as they gradually disappear from readers' view. Each page has a rhyme that is completed on the next page. After the author counts down to 1, she quickly brings the number back up again, as the final fish finds a mate and they have 10 little babies.
Ina
May 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a fun counting book with big beautiful illustrations. Nice real aloud, even with a large group because of the illustrations. One by one the line of fishes gets shorter, until there is only one left...then there are two, who fall in love and then start a family...of ten little fishes.
Brenda Pritchard
toddler-->preschool story time; print motivation, letter knowledge, vocabulary building;

This is a rhyming book that counts down. Ten little fish are swimming and one dives down, now there are __?

Dona
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book. The colors are vibrant and the fish are so cute and full of character. A great way to teach counting to a young child and a great way to work on rhyming too. The Woods seldom disappoint and this book is a winner as far as I'm concerned.
Danielle Desmarais
-Counting and rhyminging book that follows a very cute story. Very colorful illustrations and parts children can read along. (Content book)

-Would be fun to read with a K/1st grade class and eventually let them read individually.
Edna
Jun 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Snodgrass
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Super cute book for a Kindergartener learning to count and read about numbers. The rhyming had me reading it like a song and it was actually fun to read. The colors are very bright to keep your interest as well.
The Brothers
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counting, fish, numbers
Jasper (2yo) really enjoyed this simple counting book a little fish swimming by and one by one dropping out of the count.

Illustrations are computer generated, which was a bit weird to get used to a first. But, still they were colorful and engaging and Jas seemed to like them.
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • One Pup's Up
  • Blue Goose
  • Two at the Zoo
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Five Little Ducks
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Barry the Fish with Fingers
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Fish Eyes: A Book You Can Count On
  • One Duck Stuck
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • What's Up, Duck?: A Book of Opposites
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...