Start by marking “Love Like the Movies” as Want to Read:
Love Like the Movies

Love Like the Movies

Kenzi Shaw knows the plot of her life down to the last line - the career she's building as an up-and-coming marketing exec, the gorgeous fiancé (Bradley) she'll marry in a fairytale wedding, the children they'll raise in her dream home. But when heart-breaking ex Shane comes back into her life, life starts going off the script . . .

Shane tries to win Kenzi over by re-enact
Published June 19th 2014 by Macmillan (first published February 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Love Like the Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Like the Movies

Start your review of Love Like the Movies
Jill
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There's something so innocent and sweet about romantic movies. The world doesn't always make sense, but in a good romantic comedy, I'm guaranteed a happily ever after.
- Kensington Shaw

description

For Kensington Shaw, romantic movie fan, life's not quite living up to the fantasies in her favourite films. She might be smart, have a great job and a gorgeous boyfriend, but something's missing.

Now her ex-boyfriend, Shane Bennett, is back after dumping her years ago to return home to Britain. When he turns up as
Susanne
Updated after re-read 10/18/15: It was just as awesome the second time!

I really liked I adored this book! It was all I can ever wish for in a book!

description

It is charming, it is funny and it is romantic! It's romantic comedy at its very best. I thought I was over chick-lit. Turns out I was wrong. Very wrong. It had all the elements of a good chick-lit.

The heroine was easy to relate to. I adored her from the first page. Her family didn't treat her right. She was engaged to Mr Wrong. And she turned it al
♡Karlyn P♡

3* 'Tummy Flip Test' Stars

Cute story! Fans of romantic movies will really enjoy this one. I thought this was more 'chick lit' than romance, but it is still a fun romantic story with some over the top silly moments you might remember from some of your favorite movies.

The Story
Kensington Shaw is about to marry Bradley, the only problem is he doesn't pass the TFT: 'Tummy Flip Test'. But he is successful, everyone loves him, and he is ready to start that family she wants so much. Her hard-to-please
KatLynne
4.5 Hilarious, Romantic Stars!

… “The world doesn’t always make sense, but in a good romantic comedy, I’m guaranteed a happily ever after.”….

Love like The Movies is not only an enchanting, entertaining, and amusing love story but also depicts a young woman’s journey of self-discovery and finding the courage to stop letting other’s make choices for her.

Kensington Shaw is on the brink of turning thirty. Her fiancé may fit her families’ approval more than hers, but Kensington can accept that becaus
Claudia
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE this book!! Everyone will love this book!!! Instantly fell for the characters, it's funny, sweet, romantic comedy at its best. This book is beyond movie worthy. TBR, one-click, PreBuy...you won't be disappointed!!
Cam *tactile seeker*

DNF at 50%.

It's official, I'm a bitter, old lady. Not even my love for movies saved me this time.
What's the phrase they use, when they want to break up? Ah, yes, "it's not you, it's me".
And in this case, it's really me.
I've lost the ability to feel something for this kind of stories. Romantic comedies makes me want to kill everyone involved, with a few exceptions like My Best Friend's Wedding and Sixteen Candles. (Maybe even Pretty Woman)
Not to mention that chick-lit is definitely not my genre,
Ian
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who have seen Pretty Woman and Sleepless in Seattle many times.
Recommended to Ian by: Jill
Kenzi has everything she could ever dream for. A good job working for an advertising agency and the perfect fiancé. Even if she's constantly runner-up in her family's affections to her oh so perfect sister-in-law, things look pretty good.

Then her ex-boyfriend, Shane walks into the advertising agency and she quickly discovers, the agency is having financial problems, her job is on the line, and they desperately need Shane's business. She is ordered to do everything she can to secure the account,
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
description

Jenny & Gitte: 4.5 wonderfully swoony stars!

“But life isn’t a movie.”

Jenny: I’ve just been completely swept away by a story! Now, I LOVE my chicky flicks! So much so, my friends and I regularly go to the “Chicks at the Flicks” sessions at the movies and swoon over the latest romantic offering. Yes, they’re predictable and cutesy, but wow!

“It doesn’t matter if a romantic comedy follows a predictable course, we respond because it’s rooted in truth. In magic.”

I do love the lead up t
Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
description

Jenny & Gitte: 4.5 wonderfully swoony stars!

“But life isn’t a movie.”

Jenny:

Do I love the lead up to the final
Katie(babs)
Don't judge this book by it's horrible cover. This is an adorable rom-com features Kensi, who is engaged to her perfect man, Bradley, who she works with. Her parents always make Kensi think she's lacking in her looks, job, social life, but they love Bradley. Kensi's ex-boyfriend, Shane from college wants to be friends with her on Facebook after 10 years. Kensi doesn't understand why because Shane cheated on her in college (or so she believe because he didn't deny it or try to make her think othe ...more
Zainub
Aug 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
Here's a thing about lazy me, i judge a book (of any form or genre) by its goodreads rating alone and though I've been deceived before, this time I felt more betrayed than the protagonist.

This book was a rehash of a rehash with all the good parts left out (the conversations, the emotional connection, the substance!)
The movie scenes when reenacted were desperate at best and irritating at worst.
Also am I ye only one who found the male lead's love for movies a tad estrogen-ish.

While the book cov
I'd So Rather Be Reading {Nat}
I read Nicole Knepper's review of Love Like the Movies on her blog, Moms Who Drink and Swear (which, by the way, is both side-splittingly funny and also heartfelt) and knew immediately that I had to buy and read this book. Love Like the Movies is about a woman, Kensington, who adores romantic comedies. She knows all the classics line-for- line (such as Sleepless in Seattle, Say Anything, You've Got Mail, etc) and dreams of being in passionate, crazy, impulsive love, the kind of love like in the ...more
Aimee
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun, I loved it from beginning to end. Kensington was a great character and I loved reading about her and all of her family and friends. The situations that she gets herself into are hilarious and I found myself laughing out loud several times.

Shane, the man trying to win Kensington's heart, was wonderful. I loved all of the references to so many great romantic movies and the scenes that they recreated from some of those movies were some of my favorite parts of the book.

If
Chloe
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I absolutely LOVED this book. It's a delightful story, by a fantastic new author. A definite must read. This was one of those books I couldn't put down. Ms. Van Tiem has perfected making a reader want to turn the page.

Our heroine, Kenzi, is funny, quirky, and charming. I loved getting to be a part of her life. I mean, what girl wouldn't want to experience first hand all the iconic swoon worthy movie moments we so love. Getting to live through them with Kenzi is such a treat.

And Shane, oh Shane,
Kim
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads .
"The magic of boy meets girl, the angst of catch and release, the serendipity of meant-to-be. It doesn't matter if a romantic comedy follows a predictable course, we respond because it's rooted in truth. In magic."

You could probably guess this based on the majority of the books I read, but did you know romantic comedies are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine? They totally are. This book took two of my favorite things: rom com m
Myrna
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-ebook
I could picture this book becoming a movie! It would be a movie about movies. Love Like the Movies is everything you’d expect from a romantic comedy chick lit from cover to cover. It’s cute, fun, sentimental, with characters you root for, and lots of movie references. My favorite part of the book was the movie reenactments. It had me recalling scenes in my head. I remember some but plan to revisit others. If you like sweet, fun reads, and romantic comedy movies, you should definitely pick this ...more
Kris Mehigan
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

LOVE LIKE THE MOVIES is to rom-com & chick flicks as icing is to cake. Van Tiem masterfully delivers a story worthy of any John Hughes directed movie. She puts the "fun" in dysfunctional.

Kensington Shaw is the lovable Bridget-Jones-esque heroine. Add the fiance, the ex,the bestie,the frenemy, the family and enough swoon-worthy scenes to melt any nostalgic heart and you've whipped up the perfect "hot mess" storm.

Do yourself a favor... crawl into your Snuggie with a glass of wine,a box of Krispy
Nefise
It was really a very sweet, very romantic comedy movie kind of book. Writing style and plot was very successful. I'll definetly read author's other books.
Why not 5 stars, because it's not a CR, it is chick-lit and it usually less intense about feeling and romance part. At least, I think so.
Kate
Love like the movies should be a movie it has all those spectacular and non spectacular moments. Unfortunately I wasn't really feeling it on paper so it gets 3 mini Oscars from me.

Picture this you meet "The One" and he breaks your heart seven years later he comes back and you think you have everything you ever dreamed of only you don't and you only realize it in that moment when he enters the room again. He realized a long time ago that it was wrong and shares your love for "Rom Coms" and choose
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
This was adorable! Ones of my new faves. Working on review now! Will have it up soon:)

****************************************************************************************************************************************

"You don't want to be in love. You want to be in love in a movie."

Love Like The Movies is the book every HOPELESS ROMANTIC should read. A story not only about falling in love and getting the guy in the end but about finding your true self even when it's not easy. I was rooting
Kristen Cansler
Kensington Shaw has everything a girl could want; a successful career, a close group of friends, a fiance that her parents approve of, and a sparkling engagement ring. But whenever an ex-boyfriend sends her a friend request on Facebook, Kensington's world begins to spin out of control. She's faced with accepting the life her family wants for her and the life she wants for herself.

I loved this book. With Valentine's Day nearing, I read this book, and it was the perfect fit. Usually, I am skepti
Paula  Phillips
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I saw this book and it's blurb, I knew I had to read it as I am such a movie buff and even more so when it comes to chick flicks. Though my top ten list would be different than the main character's Kensington's and Shane's. Love Like the Movies focuses on Kensin
gton who is A) has just got engaged , B) been told she might lose her job due to cut funding if they don't get this next account and C) the account turns out to be her ex-boyfriend Shane - the one who got away, her first true
Anja
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I obviously really liked the book. It's about Kensington Shaw. She's engaged to handsome Bradley and works for the same company as him. One day, her ex boyfriend Shane reappears and wants her to act out some movie scenes with him in order to get Kenzis company to work with him for his new theatre-restaurant-thing.
Bradley gets jealous, of course, which I absolutely understand, but you should always practise, what you preach, right..? I didn't like him.

Well, now to those movie scnenes. Shane want
Luise
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really lovely story.

I liked Shane's idea of trying to win Kenzi back by reenacting all those scenes of her favorite romantic movies. I've seen some of the movies on his list, so it was easy to imagine those moments. Even though he's such a nice guy that really seemed to care about her, he was a little too intrusive for my taste.

I wasn't a big fan of Bradley, Kenzi's fiancé. He's just one of those "bosses" that are "better" than other people. He's too important to properly listen to his
Sabine
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: special-books
I grew up with movies like Dirty Dancing, Sixteen Candles or Notting Hill and I still love to watch them. So there was no questions when I came upon this book that I had to read it. It was funny and it made me laugh and cry and swoon when Shane set up the stage for another unforgettable movie scene. I loved Kenzi and it made me cringe how her mother treated her and never really saw her for what she was. Well, Bradley I never liked and same goes for Tonya but in the end everything was perfect and ...more
Brandie Behan
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sorry to say that I have nothing nice to say about this book. It was totally cliche and predictable even for a rom-com. Victoria Van Tiem had a cute story line and some creative chapter titles, but never gave her audience that "stomach flip" feeling that every girl wants when she watches/reads a love story.
Rebecca
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you to the fabulous publishers Pan for sending me a gorgeous copy of Love Like the Movies by Victoria Van Tiem in the post. I was overjoyed when I opened up the parcel and this slipped out. One look at that stunning cover and I just knew that I was going to bloody love it! So, thank you Pan, you spoil me rotten!

I LOVE rom-com movies. Absolutely love them. Pretty Woman is one of my all-time favourites, alongside Ten Things I Hate Abou
Barbara Russell
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This rom com is a fun and quick read with a lovely protagonist. Unfortunately, of all the films mentioned in the book (and there’re quite a few) I saw only Die Hard and The Bourne Ultimatum (I watched the first 20 mins of Pretty Woman and gave up, lol) so I missed all the jokes related to the movies and sometimes I couldn’t follow the conversation. I had no idea what the characters were talking about when they quoted lines from the films. But it was fun all the same :)
Steph Hayward-bailey
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this rom-com. It's original idea of dating through reliving favourite movies was really enjoyable. I can't wait to read more by this author.
The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog
Review-Jo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHopelessR...
Blog: http://thehopelessromanticsbookblog.b...

This book needs to be a movie!! I absolutely fell head over heels in love with "Love Like the Movies" . It was a truly magical read and I thought it was a fantastic idea for a story. I loved, loved , loved it!!

Kenz
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• One Hundred Proposals (100 Proposals #1)
  • Colocs (et plus) (Colocs, #1)
  • Une fille comme elle
  • No Mundo da Luna
  • Fais-moi taire si tu peux !
  • One Perfect Summer (One Perfect #1)
  • One Night for Love (Bedwyn Prequels, #1)
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Rivalités (Les étoiles de Noss Head, #2)
  • The Switch
  • Tara Duncan et l'invasion fantôme (Tara Duncan, #7)
  • Origines, 2ème partie (Les étoiles de Noss Head, #5)
  • Origines, 1ère partie (Les étoiles de Noss Head, #4)
  • Accomplissement (Les étoiles de Noss Head #3)
  • Dragons contre Démons (Tara Duncan, #10)
  • Dans le piège de Magister (Tara Duncan, #6)
  • Le dragon renégat (Tara Duncan, #4)
  • La danse de la licorne (Les AutresMondes de Tara Duncan, #1)
Victoria Van Tiem (pronounced team) is the author of international favorites LOVE LIKE THE MOVIES and HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO.