Start by marking “Blogging for Creatives: How designers, artists, crafters and writers can blog to make contacts, win business and build success” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Blogging for Creatives teaches you everything you need to know about how to design and profit from a beautiful blog that people will want to return to again and again. Complete with hundreds of tips, tricks and motivational stories from artistic bloggers who have started from scratch, Blogging for Creatives covers how to publish and host a blog, as well as keeping it fresh ...more
Published June 4th 2012 by ILEX

To ask other readers questions about Blogging for Creatives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blogging for Creatives

Abbie Miller
I am wavering between two and three stars. I'm a generous soul, so I'll go with three.

This book was pretty. It was chock full of good pictures, screen shots, blurbs from active bloggers, website listings and solid references. It was enjoyable to read and look at.

Here's the flip side: the information was really basic. It was written for a beginner blogger. A lot of the "good" information was about setting up your blog and some beginner-type how-to's. As an established blogger, I was looking for
Teresa McCarthy
It's refreshing to read a blogging guide that's not primarily targeting business or marketing specialists. This book is a good starting point for new bloggers, hobby bloggers, and those looking to turn their passion into a career. There's also a lot of food for thought for bloggers looking for inspiration or new challenges.
Jenifer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
very clear how to manual for those who don't have a clue where to start.
Alessia Savi
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un manuale completo ed eccezionale per chiunque voglia muovere i primi passi online e costruirvi la propria identità. "Se non sei su internet non sei nessuno", dicono. In questo manuale si trovano tutti gli strumenti, gli accorgimenti e le migliori strategie per avviare la propria presenza online. Vengono a supporto di quanto esplicato diversi riferimenti a noti blogger statunitensi e internazionali, che condividono i propri consigli con i lettori.
Se credevate che il mondo non avesse bisogno di
Meg Walck
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. Read my review here:

Alexandra Mita
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
very little information about how to actually keep a good quality blog. half of the content is made up by screen shots from actual blogs
Sara
I felt like the entire book was ads for other blogs- not impressed!
Hiatt Zhao
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know about 90-95% of the material in this book so I browsed through it. It did inspire me with some ideas, but like any books on technology, you should just borrow it.
Carmen Grantham
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed full of information that was really easy to read.

Loved the blog examples that I could then review.
Parka
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer

(More pictures on my blog)

Blogging for Creatives is a helpful starting guide to blogging for those into art, crafting and design. Actually, the book is written in a manner that's applicable to general bloggers as well, just that most examples featured are of art and design, and sometimes cooking.

This book has many helpful tips on blogging and getting up to speed. It assumes no prior knowledge and the instructions are always clear and concise. So the book is great for beginners.

Here's the list of
Mandy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides the few spelling / grammar / missing words issues (is that because it's a different edition that wasn't edited well?), I really enjoyed this book. Great advice that withstands technology changes, great perspectives and tips from successful bloggers, and a resource I will go to constantly (since I read it for it's purpose - I'm starting / fixing current blogs myself). Yeah yeah, the screenshots were and will become outdated over time, and it is based in the UK (this is the American printe ...more
Emma Farley
I borrowed Blogging for Creatives from the library at work to see if there were handy tips and tricks but I didn’t find it at all useful. This is probably because it’s five years old and a tad outdated (Pinterest had a page and Instagram just a passing paragraph) but it is definitely a good book for newbie bloggers. If you’re starting out and want some good advice all in one place then I highly recommend this book (it covers different platforms, the technical aspects of uploading a post, social ...more
Onellyantie Chuah
Just what I want from a "things about blogging" book!

This book has been recommended by a few bloggers I'm following. I looked for the book, found it and flipped a few pages to see what's inside and what I can learn from this book before buying it. I just need 10 seconds to decide. I bring this book to the cashier.

The book is very well designed and the contents are absolutely informative and useful, with tips from blogging experts. Every internet and blog jargon is explained so that you know wha
Joséphine (Word Revel)
This book is geared more towards readers who are new to blogging. Those who have blogging experience probably won't find much new information reading this book.

Besides the basic introduction to blogging aspects though, Houghton included many reference to various blogs that serve as good examples for the points she was trying to make. I think that is very useful, especially for readers who read the ebook version on their tablets. Reading Blogging for Creatives on my iPad made it really easy to vi
Erin
I picked up this book at my favorite place... the bookstore. I have been blogging for a while now but I wanted to learn more about blogging. I found this book to be very informative.

It has great information about how to create a blog, to creating good content and how to plan out your content plan.

It also had information about how to make a video blog. It also talked about how to promote your blog. It also talked about how to use social media to get your blog noticed.

I would recommend this book b
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This is a solid intro to blogging tailored toward artists, photographers, and crafters. It says it's also geared toward writers, but I felt that it would be more helpful for visual artists and musicians than writers (the author does have a book out called Blogging for Writers, so I'm not really faulting her for slacking in the writing department in this book).

It covers selecting a blogging platform, types of posts you can write, how to use photographs in posts, helpful plug-ins and add ons, very
Jessica
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quality book about the specifics of blogging, particularly for those who want to pursue more personal or craft-based blogs rather than commercial blogging. This book is designed both for those just starting out (it walks you through the steps of setting up a Wordpress, Typepad, or Blogger site) and for those who may have a blog but are getting very little traffic. Resources abound in this book.

I don't assume that this book has much staying power, as it will be quickly out of date as new bloggi
Mindy Words
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro que sirve para todos los que tienen uno. Ya sea por algún motivo profesional o más personal como el mío pues te da pautas y consejos que a todos nos viene bien. Mientras leía el libro me pase con una libreta al lado apuntando “Esto lo tengo que hacer en el blog”^^ Y sí aun no me he puesto a hacer los cambios pero nunca está demás tener una ayuda extra. En definitiva un lugar donde consultar las dudas o coger ideas.

Una cosa que me hubiera gustado es que tuviera más sobre blogger.

http
Dannii Elle
Whilst I did benefit from this book, I did feel that the title was a little misleading and that the advice wasn't particularly tailored for creative bloggers. That being said, I found the imagery and blogging examples appealing and above par to the other blogging manuals out there. There seems to be such an abundance of these books around and, after reading quite a few, I am beginning to find them all rather 'samey'. This book stood out from the crowd because of the appealing page format, whic ...more
Lyndsey
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It is difficult to write a book about technology because things change so quickly in that realm and books on the topic tend to become outdated. I didn't find that to be the case for this one. There were lots of great tidbits for starting a blog. This is not *really* a technical book, though it does provide ideas for a number of technical tools. I enjoyed it and will take pieces from it to put into practice as I launch my new blog.
AJ
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The problem with books about blogging and the Internet is that they rapidly become dated. This book is only 3 years old but... it looks and feels stale. A lot of pages were dedicated to how to set up blogs using particular platforms (WordPress, Blogger, etc.) which I thought was just a huge waste of space.
Kate Green
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
A great book if you're a blog virgin, or need a practical guide to blogging. I'm a keen blogger but wanted advice on being an artist online - writing about my work, my influences, and the work of others - and it wasn't forthcoming in the book. However, it was a good read with lots of real-life examples.
Sara
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The technology changes so fast on line it's risky to print a book on social media how to's. There are some good intro ideas, but you can find most of this online on Mashable or blogs from social media gurus likes Beth Kanter.
Ashleigh
Really handy for would be bloggers and I found the fact that it is aimed at creatives much more relevant and appealing for me personally. I would recommend this to anyone who is unsure about getting started or for people who want to take it more seriously.
Josefina
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: periodismo
Me gustó, pero pensé que me iba a dar tips más útiles. Estos tips son para bloggers principiantes; si bien me sirvió como inspiración, no es lo que me esperaba de un libro que promete todo sobre plataformas, contenidos, etc.
Kristy
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread

Excellent.
Natalie Roberts
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily the most helpful book I've read so far for blogging. I highly recommend it.
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed for ideas and facts I wanted.
Emma Sea
So. Much. Filler.
Perhaps a good book for oldest-olds, who have heard of this "internets" thing but have no personal experience with such.
Challa Fletcher
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a good light read to help with blogging decisions and insights even if profit isn't your main goal
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds
  • Blog, Inc.: Blogging for Passion, Profit, and to Create Community
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Inner Excavation: Exploring Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
  • Microcrafts: Tiny Treasures to Make and Share
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Craftivity: 40 Projects for the DIY Lifestyle
  • Cultivating Your Creative Life: Exercises, Activities & Inspiration for Finding Balance, Beauty & Success as an Artist
  • We Dare You: Scrapbook Challenges about Real Life
  • The Big-Ass Book of Home Décor: More than 100 Inventive Projects for Cool Homes Like Yours
  • Memoir: A History
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Craft-a-Day: 365 Simple Handmade Projects
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
I'm the author of 'Blogging for Creatives' (Ilex 2012) and two more blogging books forthcoming in 2015. I'm also a published and award-winning poet with work in The Rialto, the North, Agenda, Poetry News and other good UK poetry publications.) My pamphlet "The Great Vowel Shift' is available from Telltale Press.

I help authors, poets and all kinds of writers to establish and improve their online so
More about Robin Houghton