Start by marking “Come Closer” as Want to Read:
Come Closer

Come Closer

If everything in Amanda's life is so perfect, then why the mood swings, the obscene thoughts, the urge to harm the people she loves? What are those tapping sounds in the walls? And who's that woman following her? The mystery behind what's happening to Amanda in Come Closer is so frightening that it "ought to carry a warning to...readers."
Published May 2nd 2006 by Berkley Trade (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Come Closer, please sign up.
Chrystal Hays Yes. Most of it is more implied than explicit, but not a PG-rated book by any means. Implication can be more disturbing than blatant in some cases.…moreYes. Most of it is more implied than explicit, but not a PG-rated book by any means. Implication can be more disturbing than blatant in some cases. (less)

Start your review of Come Closer
karen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is short and anything but sweet, somehow managing to pack a whole lot of creepiness into just under 200 pages.

it’s a story of a woman’s disintegration as she is invaded by a demonic presence that insinuates itself into her body and mind, slowly and irrevocably supplanting her free will, causing her to engage in increasingly self-destructive behaviors, blowing up her life as it sinks its claws ever-deeper into her mind; jeopardizing her marriage, her job, her reputation, and her list of “
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I just finished this book. I started it a couple days ago and I would have devoured it in one sitting but, you know--life--so I gulped down huge chunks of it in whatever reading time I could steal. I can't believe it's just under 200 pages! I feel like so much happened in these pages...

...certain things are going to scare certain people. Okay? Let's just start there. Not everything is going to have the same impact on every, single reader because we all come to the story with so much
Tressa
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, demons
Great literary horror is few and far between, so when my friends at Goodreads* started raving about a book called Come Closer, I had to read it.

Sara Gran has written more than a dark fiction about demon possession, she wrote a book about the female psyche, about the impulse of civilized people to do harm to those we love and those we don't know, and she gave her story a shot of the old "turn of the screw" by having a pretty, confident architect inadvertently invite the spirit Naamah from Jewish
Richard
Many of the popular horror story tropes don't really affect me. Vampires, zombies, slasher killers, monsters. But demonic possession always freaks me out a little. Losing control of myself has always been one of my biggest fears, and the idea that a purely evil spirit is capable of controlling my susceptible body, soul, and thoughts is a little nerve-wracking. This book is a very well-done portrait of one woman as she slowly loses that control.

Author Sara Gran skillfully crafts this perfectly
Alisha Marie
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I read "Come Closer" in one day (it was an exceptionally short read) and in broad daylight. And while I was reading it, I was thinking "yeah, good story, interesting, creepy, but not downright scary." All along I was thinking that it wouldn't affect me the way other books/movies about possession would (The Exorcist traumatized me severely as a kid. I kept thinking that if I slept in my bed it would start shaking and I would be possessed. Yes, yes, I had an extremely active imagination like most ...more
Gary
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was not a bad read. It was a nice, quick, change of pace. It tells the story of demonic possession from the perspective of the victim. It is very atmospheric in the beginning and the author selected an excellent, abandoned setting with the correct number of stray dogs and empty apartments for the story.
The narrator’s thoughts and actions become increasingly disturbing as the plot progresses. The story does become predictable fairly early on and the reader will probably guess the ending
Ellen Gail
2.5 stars. This was such a weird lil book.

But as much as I try, mostly what I remember is the bedroom filled with blood.

At under 200 pages, Come Closer is a delightfully fast read. Also can I just say how much I fucking love this cover!

LOOK AT IT!

Unfortunately, it's not exactly the most original, or exciting. The story starts out on a track where you think you know will happen. Then...it happens. It's very predictable.

It was occasionally interesting. I will ALWAYS have a soft spot for
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, booklist
4.5 Stars
This is an incredibly short novel that manages to pack a punch in a limited number of pages. The details of the story are vivid and memorable, creating a sense of unease.

Told in the first person perspective, most of the horror of this book resides within the mind of protagonist. This unique choice blends together elements of traditional horror with psychological suspense. The story itself is fairly quiet and slow paced with minimal action. This story is more contemplative than scary.

Mindi
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
People have been talking about this one quite a bit lately, and it's novella length, so I absolutely had to pick it up to see what all the fuss is about. I read it in a single sitting, barely realizing that it was nearly 2am by the time I finished.

The horror in this book works so well because it's subtle. I think also because it's told from the protagonist's POV. I've never read a book where the person who is possessed is also the narrator, so that alone makes this one unique. You never know if
Chris Berko
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hell YES, now that is what I'm talking about! I absolutely loved this book. I have a special kind of love for demonic possession stuff due to the fact that when I was twelve years old I read and saw the original Exorcist within a two week period AND I have a sister who was fourteen at the time and a gigantic asshole (don't be mad she would agree with me) and I honestly thought she was possessed. Every night I would talk to myself and try to convince myself of how irrational I was being and how ...more
Dannii Elle
An interesting read throughout, with a heart-wrenching premise, but ultimately lacking the chills I was anticipating.
Toby
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-as-night
For those of you who know Sara Gran for her crime novels and read the quote "probably this year's scariest novel" and wondered what was going on, I point you to the other quote that starts "like Patricia Highsmith" and hopefully you understand just why this is a scary novel and then continue your enjoyment of Sara Gran as an interesting new literary voice.

For those readers who take a look at that nice generic quote from The Charlotte Observer "It's terrifying" then combine it with the demonic
Angel Gelique
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Possessed woman photo: Possessed tumblr_m0ehnw83hU1r6vhy4o1_500.gif

It started with a strange tapping sound. And then small, subtle changes in personality. More fights with her husband. Bizarre impulses. Before long, Amanda feels her life spiraling out of control. She suspects something is terribly wrong. But when she tries to take action to get her life back on track, she finds her choices overrun by someone--or rather, something--else usurping her will.

This story is not scary, but it is pretty unsettling with some disturbing scenes and eerie undertones. It's
Blair
Short and brisk, Come Closer is a contemporary horror novella about a woman succumbing to demonic possession. Amanda leads a fairly comfortable life: she's an up-and-coming architect, happily married, and shares a large, beautifully decorated apartment with her husband Ed. In the opening scene, she's called into her boss's office, where she finds out a report she submitted – which she remembers as a normal report – was full of insults and slurs. She assumes it's a co-worker's prank, yet she also ...more
Gatorman
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent little horror story about a woman's slow descent from normal, working, married life into madness. Gran does a superb job of describing Amanda's change as one that appears to be the result of demonic possession but may just be the result of an overpowering mental illness. It's a fascinating, powerful tale that grabs you from the first page and never lets go even after the story ends. Sad and horrifying, this is not a book for the feint of heart. Highly recommended.
Emilie
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, mystery, horror
I discovered this book last year at a bookstore and was immediately attracted by the french cover (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76...) and then the synopsis. But at the time, only the hardcover was available and it was too expensive so I waited for the paperback version... goodness, I did well. No wonder we say "Don't judge a book by its cover".

The good points of this book are that it's short and easy to read... that's all for me.
The only thing that comes to mind after the last page (well
Lou
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shocking how an ordinary persons life can be turned upside down and life destroyed, if you are unlucky enough to be possessed by a Demon then this will happen. This happens to Amanda, the main protagonist, and she tries eventually once aware of the possession to rid herself from it.
The story is interesting and I like the way the author has used some Jewish folklore in the story. The story could have been more deeper sometimes the writing jumps to situations or days at start of chapters but
Richard  Thomas
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Wow. Re-read this book, sat down last night, just meaning to take a peek, and then two hours later, DONE. Such an amazing book, not at all what you'd think a book about demon possession would be like. Terrifying, subtle, and stylish. Fantastic.
Chris
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book creeped me out. That coming from someone who lives on a steady diet of horror.

If you love horror, you have to read this one.
Robin Bonne
A deeply unsettling story of demon possession.
Brandon Petry
That was such a knock-out gut-punch of a short read. Reminds me that even the horror genre tropes I don't love (possession in this case), if in the right hands, can surprise and decimate me. That ending, hot damn, I'm still reeling from it. I highly recommend checking it out. Not since Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts have I been blindsided and fallen so in love with a book about (or maybe not about...) demonic possession. I will have to check out My Best Friend's Exorcism next to see how ...more
Adam Pennington
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I find the concept of demonic possession completely fascinating and the portrayal in this novel certainly does not disappoint..

Brilliantly blurs the lines between the possibility of possession and the idea of really serious mental health issues!

I thought the narrative structure was superb and led to an extremely satisfying and haunting conclusion.

Recommended to fellow fans of The Exorcist as an engaging and thoroughly contemporary interpretation of demonic possession.
Amy
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This novel scared the bejeebers out of me. If you're looking to curl up on a cold winter night with a terrifying novel of demonic possession, this is the book for you. While it's probably not a good idea to admit that a novel about a woman possessed by demons hits close to home, I bet that any woman who reads this will find herself quietly comparing her own worst moments to ... well, just read it.
The Drowsy Bookworm
Wow! I have never read a book quite like this. It was wonderfully horrifying and a quick read. Demonic possession from start to finish in under 200 pages.

Previous post: 1.99 on Amazon 08/01/18
❤️
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
This was such a sinister little book. Its writing is beautifully haunting, and the eerieness of the events taking place within it builds so slightly and unsuspectingly that it makes it all the more shocking how creepy the main character's behaviour and/or perceptions are. What's even more horrifying is how realistic the depiction of possession is. I don't even believe in demonic possession, but this book felt like if it was a real thing, this is how a person might feel internally and emotionally ...more
Becca Schu
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novella really got under my skin and slithered into my brain.

So creepy, so fast paced.
Melissa Chung
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Come Closer was an easy to read demon possession book. I'm giving it three stars because it wasn't scary. The protagonist let the whole thing happen without "really" trying to fix things and because the blurb on the cover said "Probably this year's scariest novel." - Time Out. This is an over statement. I would consider this story to be pretty wimpy on the scariest scale and pretty low on demon possession scary scale.

This book is under 200 pages so you really do fly through it. Amanda is a
Reid
Come Closer is a demon possession story and a story of a disintegrating marriage, kicked off on Valentine's Day, no less, with a certain lack of intimacy and trust between husband and wife (Amanda) after six years of marriage. Gran manages to write a creepy and humorous story in the beginning, but the second half wasn’t quite as interesting, except to sort of finish what she (Gran, Amanda, the demon) started.

One possibly notable aside is that Gran mentions, in one line only, a doctor who died
Bill
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The ultimate measuring stick for novels of demonic possession remains and will always be The Exorcist. That novel's pacing began with a niggling sense of dread as the hints of possession were beginning to take hold.

Sara Gran uses a similar pace to possession, but from a first-person perspective. Amanda's possession begins with same niggling sense that something is there, and things begin to unhinge for her from then on out.

This is a very fast read, and best read alone in a quiet room. Gran does
Bandit
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one and its front cover praise, proclaiming it to be the year's scariest book. I don't know if it was, but then again I don't know/probably haven't read all the scary books that came out that year. But...this book was very very good. It dealt with the subject of demonic possession in a very matter of fact first person narrative that I found to be very effective. If it was all an elaborate metaphor, it clearly went right over my head, but as a straight-up ...more
Around the Year i...: Come Closer, by Sara Gran 3 69 Jul 12, 2019 10:54AM

• Violet
  • Something Borrowed, Something Blood-Soaked
  • Dear Laura
“What we think is impossible happens all the time.” 2 likes
“Instead I walked towards the man, meeting him halfway. “Just miss a train?” I heard myself ask. He shrugged. I could not believe I was engaging this man in conversation. He was disgusting up close, with mottled, pitted skin and a shaggy grown out haircut. “I hate that,” I said. “Especially at night. Especially at night when you’re waiting for a train and there’s someone there. And you never know. I mean, in the city you just never know who you’re dealing with. They might have a knife, or a gun, or whatever. They might, I don’t know, be the kind of person who hates men who hang out in train stations, waiting for women. She might be the kind of person who takes men like that and rips them limb from fucking limb with her bare hands.” The man left the station without a word, and the train took me home safe and sound.” 2 likes