Start by marking “The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set” as Want to Read:
The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set

The Magicians Trilogy Boxed Set

(The Magicians #1-3)

The entire Magicians trilogy, including The Magicians, The Magician King, and The Magician's Land, now available in a gorgeous boxed set

Including four fan-designed character cards.
The Magicians
Quentin Coldwater is brilliant but miserable. A high school math genius, he’s secretly fascinated with a series of children’s fantasy novels set in a magical land called Fillory,
Published August 5th 2014 by Viking Adult

Terry Brooks
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even though I am touching on familiar territory here, I want to recommend Lev Grossman’s fantasy trilogy - The Magicians, The Magician King and The Magician’s Land. This is very adult stuff and not for younger readers, but from mid teens upwards, it’s fine. It is such a well constructed and well written story I cannot say enough good things about it. As stories go, I admire this one greatly. It is one of those rare cases when I can say that this is a set of books I wish I had written. You would ...more
Drew Darby
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a fan of magical fiction, I wanted desperately to love these books. However, I'm an even bigger fan of Literature's potential to challenge, transform, touch the reader in some way. With each book I was waiting for some of that to come by the end—something that made me think or feel something deeply, a grace note or a deep truth about life. By probably the middle of the second book, I was just hoping some clever plot structure would emerge by the end of the trilogy. I was not satisfied by the ...more
Alexandra
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I recently finished the last of the trilogy. I didn't have the boxed set, but I sent it to my niece. Now, I have to preface this review by saying that I am almost 70 years old. This series was certainly engrossing. It had all the parts left out of the Harry Potter series, because that was for juveniles and this is for the 20-35 year-olds. I say this because it is very hip in language, references to pop culture, and so forth. And Magic is still interesting. They are a sprightly read, very inventi ...more
Nico
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started reading this series because I liked the SyFy adaptation TV series. As usual the stories of both formats are a bit different. To be honest. I liked the build up of the story in the books a lot better. You get to know the characters an the worlds they live in. Thus getting some kind of connection with them all. And the books are a lot less gory than the TV series.
Michael Murphy
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I wrote individual reviews of each book, so this is for the series. This is top notch fantasy, beautifully written, with engaging characters and an incredibly imaginative story. One of the best fantasy series I've read in years. Be patient at the start - the characters start out as irritating hipsters, but by the end grow into a remarkable group of people.
Alanna King
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do you remember how you felt at the end of the Harry Potter books...you couldn't believe it was all over? Lev Grossman's world renderings have left me feeling like I have been to another world and back again. Truthfully, I didn't start enjoying Harry Potter as an adult until we got to #3 The Prisoner of Azkaban and things took a turn to the darker. Well, Grossman starts you with that delicious darkness right away by following the angsty college-age characters into the pits of their binge-drinkin ...more
Devon Green
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Devon by: Vinton Bayne
I went into this book thinking it was geared towards younger audiences. I came out of it with the elevator pitch of, "It's Narnia meets Hogwarts but in grad school, so with profanity, sex, and drugs,". The series doesn't peak at number one, for me the first book is the weakest: not because it's weak, but because it simply has to do all the heavy lifting and mechanics of setting up a complex set of worlds and fully-formed characters, which Grossman does beautifully. It supposes that magic exists ...more
Jennifer Pfieffer
Wonderful!

Really loved these books and the ending was not exactly what I was expecting. These books are a good balance between looking lighthearted and dark.
Brian Goedde
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The trilogy was HIGHLY enjoyable. However, 5 minutes into the made for TV Syfy adaptation ... It is a complete TRAVESTY.
Read the book. Watch the series at your own risk.
Jerry Rocha
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Each one of these got better and better.
Lindsey
Love the series, ending...eh

I’ve found the series highly entertaining but been left wanting multiple times throughout, for plot and/or character development. Its fun, interesting concept felt abandoned, though I can’t pinpoint where, and ultimately underwhelming toward the end. I suppose that’s the point. We all have to grow up sometime and usually life doesn’t turn out as you expect.
Worth the read, but don’t know if I’d read it again.
LOL_BOOKS
Susan Hill
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I dare say these are officially now my all-time favourite books. I think the New York Times reviewer said it best when he wrote "If the Narnia books were like catnip for a certain kind of kid, these are like crack for a certain kind of adult." I fear the withdrawal symptoms will kick in soon...
Mark
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Sort of enjoyed the first book. Really enjoyed the second. Really had to drag myself through the third.
Matthew Harbowy
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roughly started, but well worth it

The magician's trilogy has an occasionally uncomfortable feel throughout, which I think is due in part to being an adult series of novels with far too close a relationship to the YA novels, both fictional and nominal, it is set against. There's something unnervingly leering about Quentin early in book one, as though it is a teenage boy written unconvincingly by a lecherous older man, that feels innapropriate. It feels, at times, to be trying too hard to be an an
Caro
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started reading the books because I love the show. Every one of these characters was constructed and created in a very detailed way which makes it easy to connect with them and find yourself somewhere in there. Something else this book gave me which most fantasy books lack (in my opinion) is the diversity and background story every person gets here. Whilst i.e. Harry Potter is focusing more on the popular kids, The Magicians is ruled by the misfits, outcasts and nerds.
I couldn't even choose a
Kate
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it! I definitely devoured the entire series in a very short period of time. I liked the second two books more than the first, mostly because Quentin was sort of an awful person in the first novel.

I could also tell that the author matured more between the books--they became less about who Quentin wanted to sleep and him ogling women he had no respect for, and more about the magic and the worlds they were living in. I also think the Brakebills parts could have been expanded and enriched-
Paul Marchesano
It is difficult to find lots of positive things to say. In the end the novels were enjoyable, and I quickly realized that the TV series departed dramatically form the books. I found the first two installments a bit slow going, frustratingly so at times. I wish I could have said I burned through the books quickly, interest held with a great grip. Not so. Often it felt like a great effort to get to the next chapter. The overall story and arc is strange indeed but enjoyable to at least some degree. ...more
James Bullinger
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book series. It felt like realistic reactions to fantastic situations. I didn’t like most of the characters, but I think that’s realistic too. I tried to watch the syfy channel tv show, and it seemed unwatchable, and like it didn’t follow the book very well (at least the 10 mins I got through). The books, however I like, and I recommend them if you think you might enjoy some realism, and some depression, with your fantasy.
Vicki
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Really, maybe 3.5. I'd give the first one a 2 because it was insufferable - everyone was depressed, dark, and self-centered, and the pacing was strange. That said, both books 2 and 3 redeem the series quite a bit. I'd give book 2 3 stars and maybe even give book 3 4 stars. I also give Lev Grossman credit for growing his characters and for having imaginative plots. But I was still irritated with Quentin until late in book 3. And sometimes the plot dragged in all 3 books.
Loredana Cretu
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit disappointed after being such a big fan of Harry Potter. Lev Grossman created a similar world for young wizards, although much older than in the case of Harry. There are a lot of elements that can be found in other fantasy novels, but also new elements, some of which were rather confusing. All in all, I hoped until the last page it will get better, but I consider it average and would rather recommend Rowling at all times.
Malaney cassano
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for these books based on my biased love for the Harry Potter books. I was disappointed because of that. But had I not been biased I probably would have liked these books more.
With that being said, I did feel like the first book was hard to get into, and just kind of moved slower than necessary to gain pages. But once I got 3/4 of the way through I started to enjoy it more fully and the rest of the book and series didn’t totally disappoint me.
Alex Daniel
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Re-read these because the SyFy show popped up on Netflix. They're good, but man, are they so hard to recommend. A recommendation for THE MAGICIANS would require lots of qualifications and caveats. My second time through, I think the characters were much more likable (save a few moments). Second book is no good.
Esther Haberman
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I savored this read. Many times I have tried to do this but I was successful with this one because I had the video to watch too. I'm now really liking this method. It isn't possible with most books but what fun with this subject model and such fun characters as the magicians in the book. You will love it if you can suspend disbelief at all.
Tyler
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two thumbs up

It isn’t often that you have a novel that can successfully stand on its own while acknowledging the works of other authors. The character building and seamlessness of the stories was enjoyable.
Kelli
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun, for those who loved Aslan and Harry and all the others.

For those who once believed in magic and magical lands. Will need to reread in the future and will whole lovingly pass along to friends in need of an escape.
Alanna
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to enjoy these books but I found that none of the characters had any redeeming qualities, the books felt like I was reading a bunch of different pop cultures references rather than an actual story, and major events that could have been interesting were glossed over.
Shauna
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series. I enjoyed it enough to start watching the TV adaptation.
Faron Fernandez
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What
For Love of a Book: Magicians Trilogy 28 25 8 hours, 52 min ago
  • The Messiah Choice
  • Complication
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • Alcatraz (Alcatraz, #1-4)
  • The Poet and the Prophecy (Magic University, #4)
  • Spirited Away, Volume 4
  • Year's Best SF 13
  • My Loose Thread
  • The Red Sun Rises (The Red Sun Rises #1)
  • Highschool of the Dead Color Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • Trinity Seven, Vol. 1: The Seven Magicians
  • Power Struggle
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)
  • T-Minus Two
  • Doctor Who: Combat Magicks
  • The Runner's Literary Companion: Great Stories and Poems About Running
  • The Lost Coast
  • Wild Thing
My novel The Magicians was a New York Times bestseller. So was the sequel, The Magician King. The third book in the trilogy, The Magician's Land, will be published in August 2014.

There's yet more information about me and my books on my website.

The Magicians (3 books)
  • The Magicians (The Magicians #1)
  • The Magician King (The Magicians, #2)
  • The Magician's Land (The Magicians, #3)
“The room had the seedy, humiliated look of a bar seen in direct sunlight, sticky and thoroughly initialed by knife- and claw-wielding patrons. The floor was paved with old round millstones lightly covered with a scattering of straw, the chinks between them filled in with packed dirt. Neither” 0 likes
“And now we are going to put our Jimmy Choo so far up your ass, your going to taste next season.” 0 likes