Start by marking “Rocket Girl Volume 1: Times Squared” as Want to Read:
Rocket Girl Volume 1: Times Squared

Rocket Girl Volume 1: Times Squared

(Rocket Girl (Collected Editions) #1)

Published July 22nd 2014 by Image Comics (first published July 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Rocket Girl Volume 1, please sign up.
Grant Laird This item will be released on December 12, 2017.

Sam Quixote
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Rocket Girl is Dayoung Johansson, a 15 year old cop from the future (2013) travelling back in time to 1986 to stop evil corporation Quintum Mechanics from committing crimes against time just as they invent the world’s first time-travel machine. And, yes, she has a rocket pack!

It seems like a simple enough plot, right? And then I started thinking about what I’d just read and nothing made sense! Why are all cops kids in the future? Because “you can’t trust a grown-up” apparently, which is ridicul
Steve
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

A good quick read, the story was good with an interesting perspective from the main character concerning the "past" and "present", something that most people probably don't even consider when it comes to time travel stories.

The artwork was solid, and the sketchbook and script were an added bonus.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys time travel puzzles/conundrums.
'kris Pung
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it

**Super-Woman Buddy Read with the Shallow Readers, criteria being: Any comic featuring a female as the main or title character**

In a nutshell the future (2013) is controlled by a faceless evil mega-corp and our heroine is determined to go back in time (1986) to thwart said mega-corp and alter the future.

I know what you’re thinking haven’t I read similar plots in comics like a gazillion times, and yes, yes you have. But what makes this book special is the cast and the dialog which is simple amazi
Estelle
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! And to think I wasn't all that interested in checking it at first... Thank you again Nicole for sending this to me.
The artwork is absolutey stunning! Vibrant, dynamic and very creative. The action scenes are some of the best I've seen in a long time, and I absolutely loved all the great details (especially in the 80's).
As for the story, I might need to reread it because I was a bit lost (or maybe just distracted by the art) with all the time jumps, but still, I found it compelling and
Stewart Tame
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Meh. This is very flashy looking, but lacking in substance. Dayoung Johansson travels back in time from an alternate version of 2013 to 1986 to investigate the Quintum Mechanics corporation for “crimes against time,” which sounds cool and all, but these “crimes” aren't really specified in detail. Yes, they do send goons to stop Johansson, but, honestly, if I were in charge of a major corporation and knew that someone had traveled back in time to prevent the corporation's existence, I’d probably ...more
Nikki
Received to review from Netgalley.

Rocket Girl is kinda fun, though I felt like at a certain point, Dayoung's flying around and crashing into things gets a bit boring and you want more substance. I do like that we've got a fifteen year old girl as the protagonist, though, and that she's capable and clever, determined and principled.

Overall, though, the supporting cast just didn't do much for me, and while the way the story plays with time is kind of fun, I wanted more from it. I'm not sure where
Jessica
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This could have been a great Fringe episode. An alternate 2013 where the police hire teens and give them rockets. Can you imagine some 3-D printer equipped to printing out jet packs.

OMG!!!! I WANT A JETPACK!!!!! To serve. To protect. TO FLY THE EFF AROUND!!!!!!!

rocketgirl

Okay, I do have only one little itty bitty question. This doesn't even border on questions addressing all the sci-fi stuff. This is basic questions like, did I somehow skip over her re-fueling her jet pack? Is it a solar powered jet pac
Wendy
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dayoung Johansson is a New York City cop out to save 2015 from the crimes of Quintum Mechanics made in the past, only, her investigation leads her to the discovery that her time should never have existed.

Bright and quirky is the best way to describe the writing and artistic style. Dayoung is a fun character, bounding with teenage ideals, determination and firm adherence to the rules and her responsibility as a cop. 1986 is as loud and vibrant as it should be, as is Dayoung's supporting cast.

Don'
Marla Haasz
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Love love love the art style and vibrant colours, especially when it's the 1986 Scene. Oh god, and yes, the outfits. Beautiful. I couldn't help but focus on the outfits and character creations more than the story and then I had to go back and re-read all over again because I didn't actually pay attention to what was going on. Love the diverse, intersectional range of characters in both 'the good guys and the bad guys.'

I put this comic down quite a lot over my time reading it, and it took me
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sequential-art
Liest man das Lob, mit dem ROCKET GIRL überhäuft wurde, ist es DAS Comic, das man unbedingt gelesen haben muss. Leider kann ich mich der Begeisterung überhaupt nicht anschließen; Weder Artwork noch Handlung fand ich überzeugend, und auch die Titelheldin konnte ich nichts anfangen. Das mag auch an mir liegen, ich bin offensichtlich nicht die Zielgruppe. Aber welche wäre das?
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This comic had an interesting concept, but it fell short for me. The time jumps were a bit confusing, and both the plot and the characters felt underdeveloped. Dayoung and Annie both seemed like they could become interesting characters, but just didn't enjoy this volume enough to see if the story improves in volume 2.

Received from netgalley.
Stephen
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fin. Fun. Fun. Engaging story by Montclare. Reeder is one of my favorite comic artists at present. She excels at combining humor and action. Love her variety of facial expressions. If you like this book, definitely check out Montclare and Reeder's Halloween Eve.
Ran
Sep 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
So ... where did this completely lose my interest? Somewhere around teenage police officers or treating a time jump between 1986 and 2013 as if it were technological millennia? Hmm, hard to tell. The art is pretty but I can't tell if I dislike the style of the 80s or the 10s (twenty-tens? twenty-teens?) more. Both feel very pop art.
Tricia (TellHerAStory)
Rating: 4 / 5 stars

A fun action-packed time-travel graphic novel. Extremely well done, bright art work and great diversity of characters.

Some characters weren't developed enough for my taste, and the story was a tad predictable.

But still, super fun and I'll definitely pick up the next volume.
Kaitlin
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is one of a selection of Graphic novels I picked up from my local library to try out. It's one I've heard mentioned a few times, but never had actually seen physically until I went to the library, and so I was quite happy to bring it home and begin reading it. My most immediate reaction was that the artwork is very very beautiful (which it is) and that the story was a little jumbled (which it was) and so it didn't seem like a bad choice.

This is the story of Rocket Girl. A 15 year old girl c
Christopher
I warned you, but did you listen? Noooooo.

Both of those stars are for Amy Reeder. I want to give her three all to herself because the art and costuming is lovely, but some of you will think that means you should read this. Amy's portion of the book is great, so let's leave it at that.

We have a basic "I must travel back in time to save the future from the evil corporation" plot, which I am down with. And I am not one to complain if a time travel book ignores the standard paradoxes inherent in th
brea
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed with this...

It seriously made no sense. It is set in two time periods, 1986 (the present) and 2013 (the past). And yes, you read that correctly, 1986 was present time, and 2013 was in the past. I didn't understand it either...

Not only was 2013 set in the "past" but it looked totally like a scene out of the Jetsons. I mean come on, this book was written after 2013, why the cheesey futuristic guise. It might have passed if they were talking about the year 3013, but this
Summer
The blurb:
"The NYTPD sent her to 1986 New York City to investigate the Quintum Mechanics megacorporation for Crimes Against Time. Piecing together the clues, Dayoung Johansson discovers the "Future" she calls home--a high-tech alternate reality version of 2013--shouldn't exist at all!"

The art here is really wonderful. I'm a bit of an art snob and I find most comic book art somewhat underwhelming. It doesn't have to be anything extraordinary, but I feel like if you are going to create something
Sana
Great characters especially Dayoung flying around with her jetpack wreaking havoc in the 1980s and Annie looking after her, superb art and a very interesting premise. However, the poor execution is where the comic failed me as there didn't seem to be enough substance holding the whole thing together. I do like where the story's heading next, though so I'm curious about the second volume.
Dawn Livingston
Sep 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm not the writer's core audience. I had no business getting this book from the library, I got it because it was recommended but I didn't know anything about it. If I had known it was about a 15 year old cop I wouldn't have bothered. I believe in creativity and fantasy but a 15 year old cop? I can suspend my disbelief only so far. So, I really couldn't get into the premise. The art was good though so that's something.

I recommend this graphic novel to teens, fans of comic artwork, graphic novel
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster
3/5 this is an action-packed sci-fi book. Dayoung Johansson, better known as Rocket Girl is sent to 1986 NYC to investigate the Quitum Mechanics corporation for "crimes against time" and in doing so she discovers her world in 2013 shouldn't exist at all. I don't really care for time- travel based plots so this was just ok to me.
Caroline
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
For all the beautiful artwork, this story is very lacklustre. Dayoung's character was undeveloped and I had a tough time getting to sympathize with her situation, where she came from, or the driving force that led her to take a one-way trip back in time.

(view spoiler)
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2014
Dayoung Johansson is a teenage cop from a high-tech future investigating a megacorporation for crimes against time. She goes back to New York in 1986 to investigate the Quintum Mechanics Corporation. What she finds is far different to what she expected. As she slowly pieces the clues while trying to navigate a different place and time. Discovering that what she knows about her home is really an alternate reality that shouldn’t exist.

Rocket Girl: Time Squared is the first five issues of this brig
Hannah Givens
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, sci-fi
I'm about to complain a lot, so keep this in mind: I gave the comic four stars. I really liked it.

I'm so over teenage characters. I mean, Dayoung is a teen cop from the future and comes back in time to change the past. Okay. But she appears in 1986 and thinks the cops there will follow her orders? Seriously? Idiot!

That was a really shaky beginning for me. The middle was also shaky, because I swear I was paying attention, but I have no idea how Dayoung made her investigative leaps. It's just all
Mainon
"Times Squared" is a clever title for a clever concept. Rocket Girl is a member of a futuristic teen police force, who volunteers to go back in time to stop an evil mega-corporation from developing a particular piece of tech in 1987 (but of course, that tech is the same item that allows her to time-travel, so if it's never invented, she can't get back to her own time, and therein lies the twist on the sacrifice-and-salvation trope). She has a couple things going for her: first, a strong sense of ...more
Odette Cortés
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Rocket Girl Vol.1: Time Squared written by Brandon Montclare and illustrated by Amy Reeder, tells the story of Dayoung Johansson, a member of the NYPD teen division in an alternate universe from ours. Dayoung time travels back to 1986 in order to change a key event and alter history in the hopes of changing the entropic future that is controlled by a corporation.

The story, although it is funny and light, is nothing out of the ordinary. Echoes of Terminator and Back to the Future can be found in
Ithlilian
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
15 year old time traveling rocket wearing cop going back to the 80s to prevent her current time from happening. That's the plot as indicated on the back of the volume, and that's exactly what happens.

Short and sweet: I thought the teenage cops were weird. I didn't think the big bad corporation was really made to look bad, so I'm not quite sure why the main character wanted to risk her life and the loves of everyone she knew to go back in time to erase it.

The idea is cool I guess. What's not cool
Michael
Future police officer, Dayoung Johansson travels back in time to investigate potential crimes against time by the Quintum Mechanics. This collection of the first five installments of the Image Comic unfolds in two points in time -- the near future and the near past. The linking elements is Dayoung, the titular Rocket Girl.

There are some intriguing ideas in the story, though they aren't as well developed as they could have been, including some of the implications of traveling through time and ch
Miri
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a great premise, but it wasn't carried out well. The dialogue is lame and the story is very unclear: teenage police officer leaves the year 2013—"the past"—to go back in time to 1986—"the present"—to stop a company from developing the technology that created her world, which she says should never have existed. Maybe I'm just very dense, but as far as I could tell this was never explained.

I mostly liked the illustrations, except for the page on which we see a quantum physicist wake up in
Kevin
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I learned of this book via an interview with penciller Amy Reeder upon its return to shelves after a post-volume 1 hiatus.

DaYoung Johansson is an officer in the New York Teen Police Department in an alternate 2013. One of her primary responsibilities is to monitor the actions of untrustworthy adults. So when an opportunity arises in which she can go back in time to 1986 and change the course of the future at a pivotal point in history, she jumps at the chance even if the altered future might ne
She-Geeks: Rocket Girl: Sept Read of the Month 4 20 Oct 04, 2014 08:07PM
  • Jupiter's Legacy, Vol. 1
  • ODY-C, Vol. 1: Off to Far Ithicaa
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Descender #2
  • The Russia Shift (The Fuse, #1)
  • The Midas Flesh Vol. 1
  • Fairy Quest Vol. 1: Outlaws
  • Peter Panzerfaust, Vol. 1: The Great Escape

Rocket Girl (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • Rocket Girl Volume 2: Only the Good