Start by marking “Broken Sleep (The Widening Gyre #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Sleep (The Widening Gyre #1)

Broken Sleep (The Widening Gyre #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  2 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Can you escape a past you never knew?

Four hardworking professionals live the good life–until one falls into a hole in a Vancouver street. As the world’s colors change, each man grapples with shadows of war as Jane tumbles into the abyss of the Disappeared.

Paul and Zack, thrown together by what may be Jane’s last testament, are hardly excited about cooperating with each oth
Published June 1st 2014 by Stars Above, Stars Below Press (first published December 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Sleep

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Broken Sleep (The Widening Gyre #1)
Katje van Loon
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A harrowing exposé of abuse...hard to read, as someone who's lived through it. But a necessary book -- if you've ever wondered why a victim of abuse stays with their abuser, this book might shed some light on that for you.

What I liked most about this book is the abandonment of an obsession with perfectly likeable characters. Each character has their flaws, their personality points that made me recoil, but it did not stop me from rooting for them. It did not stop me from caring about them.

This
Eva van Loon
This book was published in 2014, not 2005. It is the first book, set in 1995, in *The Widening Gyre Trilogy*. The second book in the trilogy is *La Chiripa*, set in 2000. Yet to come is *Pale Criminal*. A slim companion volume, *White Birds: dreams for dancers*, presents five dreams, each with an accompanying poem, which together illustrate a woman's progress with dealing with abusive, even psychopathic behavior, from victim to warrior.

That's one of the major themes of the trilogy (so far), alt
Carroll Straus
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fybromyiga sufferers,md divorce surcvivors, abused women... and most humans!
I know Eva so I learned a LOT--I learned that many of us who were abused yet cannot return it--or turn our rage on anyone else, because we genuinely cannot bear to hurt others, end up having it returned to us by those we love.

And it's also a good book!!!
Kaimana Wolff
May 11, 2014 marked it as my-books  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Kaimana Wolff
May 11, 2014 marked it as my-books  ·  (Review from the author)
Sherry
Joanne
Jan 12, 2020
Laiqa Hussain
Feb 18, 2020
Kaimana Wolff, novelist, poet and playwright, survives in a small community on the coast of British Columbia with her friend, a beautiful soul housed in a wolfish body. Often Lord Tyee and Wolff can be heard devising new howls, songs and dances on the lawns, in the parks, and in glens of the great forests still permitted to stand.

News & Interviews

“Being sick successfully is not included in society’s panoply of worthy goals.” 3 likes
“I was never the mythic lucky-born after all, the post-war harbinger of hope, peace and progress. That hope and faith grew in parental minds. It all fell apart when we moved to Canada. We brought the War with us, tattooed on our souls.” 1 likes