Start by marking “The Pleasures of the Damned” as Want to Read:
The Pleasures of the Damned

The Pleasures of the Damned

To his legions of fans, Charles Bukowski was—and remains—the quintessential counterculture icon. A hard-drinking wild man of literature and a stubborn outsider to the poetry world, he wrote unflinchingly about booze, work, and women, in raw, street-tough poems whose truth has struck a chord with generations of readers.

Edited by John Martin, the legendary publisher of Black
Published October 30th 2007 by Ecco (first published 2007)

Kevin Hosein
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I bought a book of Charles Bukowski's poems a couple days ago. I've read almost all of them. Some people think the guy's a hero, or an antihero, the quintessential drunk poet. He's really just a bitter, offensive guy. That isn't to say that he doesn't have a heart or that he's a bad person. He never put himself out to be better than he was. He was never on some high horse like most people I come across in literary circles. He was always honest. And this made his work great.

image

Sometimes people wat

Jo
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, poetry
Wow, Charles Bukowski. I'm not even sure where to begin here. I mean, I've read a lot of his poetry from various places in the past, but not as a definitive volume such as this, which is over 500 pages long. I enjoyed many of these poems, but some, not so much. Reading this volume has given me a real insight into the depressing views that he has with the majority of everything in his life. We get given a tour, if you like of things that existed in his life, and how exactly he feels about those t ...more
Swapnil
Its another end of another week and you are sitting alone at your favorite place overflowing with all those pretty faces..late night over the hill..you got a perfect table overlooking the city below..the city where, lights in those tall worldly buildings are going out one by one.. you order rounds of your favorite tennessee while a supremely talented, highly unknown, underrated and underpaid local band is playing 'Tangled Up In Blue' by Bob Dylan ...now you have started to feel lightest than you ...more
Cerissa
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just amazing! My favorite poem so far:

invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
don't swim in the same slough.
invent yourself and then reinvent yourself
and
stay out of the clutches of mediocrity.

invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
change your tone and shape so often that they can
never

it is your life and
its history
and th
William Thomas
There is only one other author who can do the things to my head and heart that Bukowski does, and that is Raymond Carver. Both of these men have moved me in ways no other authors ever have. Maybe never will.

I've heard all of the arguments against the man himself and by extension of that, his work. However, I disagree with all fo the critics on this front. The man is not a misogynist. He is a philogynist. Has always been. And anyone who reads his work, hears him speak, instead of pigeonholing th
Gordon
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read nearly all of this on the
toilet.
Hank would've approved.
Really dig the mundane topics he often
wrote about, like a poetic Harvey
Pekar.
Some very clever phrases, and many not-so.

I took issue with much of the formatting, though.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind a little
enjambment, when it's in
service to an established rhythm. But the
awkward
and unmotivated
line breaks drove me up the friggin wall sometimes.
All those widows and
orphans.
Pointlessly, and to excess.
Someone told me his editor was resp
Ken
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Over 500 pages of poetry -- one man's, yet -- is a tough assignment to many readers, but Bukowski is reader-friendly and fond of the narrative poem, so in this case, not so difficult as it seems.

Of course, some readers may be put off by the persona he developed. I don't know enough about him to say whether it was a phony one or the real life he lived (or, more likely, somewhere in between), but no matter, if you're scared off by 2019-sensitive push buttons like womanizing, drinking, and gamblin
Christan
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Bukowski... When I'm feeling down, crushed by this heartless world, I turn to you and your utter lack of sentimentality cheers me. You tell it like it is Mr. Bukowski. You leave blood, and tears, and shit streaks behind you... You were a lonely man with a heart of glass and every word you wrote, you wrote for yourself. The ease of your words is so deceptive. I wish I had the courage to be as honest in my own humble scribbles.

Highly recommended.
Ju$tin
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, bukowski

uhhhh yeah this is one of the best books of poetry I've read.

if you've read some bukowski and you didn't like it i'd suggest picking this up(poetry), or ham on rye(novel), or
hot water music(short stories) or the most beautiful woman in town & other stories(short stories) or south of no north(short stories) and i think you'll change your mind
Parrish Lantern
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the bluebird

there’s a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him,
I say, stay in there, I'm not going
to let anybody see
you.

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I pour whiskey on him and inhale
cigarette smoke
and the whores and the bartenders
and the grocery clerks
never know that
he's
in there.

there's a bluebird in my heart that
wants to get out
but I'm too tough for him
I say,
stay down, do you want to mess
me up?
you want to screw up the
works
Ashleigh
Let me start by saying I totally understand and agree with the hype surrounding Charles Bukowski even if most of said hype is coming from a bunch of adolescents on Tumblr who most likely don't have much life experience or at least don't have enough life experience to sympathize with Mister Bukowski's way of life (not that I am dictating who should or shouldn't read this as I think everyone should!)
Bukowski was like the king of the down and outs, I admire this man so much. His poetry is easy to u
Eslam
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
read
what I've written
then
forget it
all

The poems of Bukowski in this book may be divided into two stages:

From page 1 - 510 and from 511 - the end.

For the last stage, Charles has reflected on death, his suffering, his illness, on God in an inclusive/ concentrated way .... Bukowski has tried to say it all. I believe he did it.

having been
born into this
strange life
we must accept
the wasted gamble of our
days
and take some satisfaction in
the pleasure of
leaving it all
behind.

cry not for me.

grieve not for m
Elle
Jan 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-owned, poetry
My previous exposure to Charles Bukowski has been an isolated poem or two shared by friends. I loved those poems and thought I would enjoy more of his work. For the most part, I was disappointed. There were one or two poems new to me that I enjoyed, when the subject was social movements and perceptions. But mostly it was just too much bitter, sexist, white male obsessing over his bitter, sexist, white male problems.
Maja Shinigami
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn you, Bukowski, why you so good?
Tom Waters
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As far as Charles Bukowski's work is concerned, you either enjoy his work or you don’t. As far as I'm concerned, any artist who can pen 54 books is worth looking into. Almost two years ago, a friend of mine read a poem of his aloud, with a roaring campfire in the background, during a summertime couple’s cocktail get-together--and I was hooked for life.
I'd rather read books, listen to music or watch films from an artist who's consistently above-par than fixate on the tiny visionaries who knock o
Dane Cobain
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book promises 'the best of the best of Bukowski', and it certainly doesn't disappoint - then again, at over 500 pages, there's a lot in there to choose from. However, there's some new stuff too - some of the material was first published here, and its covers contain a sizable amount of the great poet's work between his early, formative years and his final days, dying of leukemia after a lifetime of heavy drinking.

And, for once, the editor is almost as qualified as Bukowski himself to bring t
Andy Jones
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it

Charles Bukowski, where to begin. I've read many of Bukowski's poems, It wasn't until I read an entire volume by him that I truly got the bitter dissatisfaction he has with most everything, except cigarettes which are a prominent or passive fixation in his poetry. Throughout The Pleasures of the Damned I followed Bukowski's everday life and observations of the world that he lives in. Bukowski lives his life; he drinks, he smokes, he has sex with ugly whores, he pays his rent, and he feels sorry
Eduard

of matrimonial
bliss.
Craven
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is really poorly put together. It's not chronological at all and mixes everything up. This is a crappy thing to do with Bukowski, because Bukowski's work and personality changed distinctly several times over his lifetime. To put together this way is frustrating to the the seasoned reader and misrepresents him to the beginning reader. The missing stars go to the editor, not Hank.
Lisa
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I read this book because Bukowski is often quoted. I wanted to revel in his brilliance.
I was sadly disappointed, his works are filled with anger, revulsion, spite and profanity; scattered with intermittent gems that are struggling to maintain their luster amidst all the despair.
Sarah Abigail
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-favs, poetry
Charles my dear dear friend, you are a god. And thats it. There's no need to say anything else. I love you.
Shaimaa Ali
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
He was the world's greatest loser
But he never gave up
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

A marvelous read, this was not poetry, it was a dive-in Bukowski's world..
What a life he had!!
Wanda
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If only I had read this 30 years ago.
Jack Wolf
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Bukowski's poetry captures all aspects of the seedy underbelly of America. From, alcohol to prostitution Bukowski leaves no stone unturned in his poetry. He is often refereed to as the "dirty old man" of American poetry and after reading this selection of poetry I can see clearly as to why he is deemed so. I didn't care much for the poems that talked about sex or the frivolity of the American dream, but I really enjoyed the poems that touched upon subjects such as life and writing itself. Perhap ...more
Muthuvel
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, poetry
The book of poems is a pure madness created by a sickened madman. The truth of madness is what the madness itself is. Madness in men of society are studied and categorized in the field of psychology. I feel that Psychology is all about studying people who fails to fit into a society presuming the overall mass in the society have already attained normalcy curve in the distribution. Those normalcy curve when it becomes too normal to the extent people stopped looking elsewhere, a certain ways and r ...more
Christopher
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where to start? This is #gutpunch stuff.

This was my first major exposure to Bukowski. He'd been recommended to me, his books offered as gifts with less than-subtle suggestions that I REALLY needed to read him. But I never got around to it. Finally I decided to dip my toe in to his poetry ("Women" still sits on my shelf, unread).

I'm from Los Angeles so CB's poetry immediately brings to mind an L.A. that doesn't exist anymore but, on some level, I'm familiar with, if nothing by cultural osmosis...
Fiona
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
This was such a treat. Every single word was so heavy, so emphatic, yet so simple. The Pleasures of the Damned ist now my favourite Bukowski poetry collection. There's a little of everything in here, but perhaps the most moving poems were the ones at the very end of this book - in them he talks about life, specifically the end of one's life, the end of his life to be exact. A poem in this category that stood out to me was "My last winter":

I see this final storm as nothing very serious in the sig
Shruti Ramanujam
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Charles Bukowski is THE BEST poet to ever walk this Earth. Man, this dirty old guy could write! He made free verse his bitch and told us in raw sentences how life is at the bottom-most part of the barrel.

I wasn't able to read this book in one sitting because Bukowski needs to savored. You read a poem, ruminate on it for a few hours, and only then move on to the next one. So it's no wonder it took me more than a month to finish this book.

Read this book
Benjamin
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A future congressman
Fooling Marie
Like a Cherry seed in the Throat
Democracy
The American Flag Shirt

Just a few of my favorites from this collection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• War Music: An Account of Books 1-4 and 16-19 of Homer's Iliad
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • The Oxford Book of American Poetry
  • Poems and Translations
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
“in this room
the hours of love
still make shadows.”
198 likes
“invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
don't swim in the same slough.
invent yourself and then reinvent yourself and
stay out of the clutches of mediocrity.

invent yourself and then reinvent yourself,
change your tone and shape so often that they can never categorize you.

reinvigorate yourself and